Moving On

Lonely
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yuri took one last look at her old apartment before the landlady started yelling at her again, shooing her away.

I guess I'm moving again. Alone.

- - -

Yuri stepped off the taxi with only her suitcase, which was packed with basic necessities. With her 3,000,000 Won deposit in her pocket, Yuri wandered around the city, visiting tourist shops and the streets of Seoul. Yuri watched families and couples laugh and converse, and felt aware, once again, of her loneliness.

She took a deep breath and walked on. Stop thinking about the past, stop thinking about the past...

She walked about in fascination until she heard her stomach's pleas for food.

Yuri stopped at a pojangmacha.

Hmmm... I'll just... eat here.

"Ahjumma! Some soju and an udon, please!"

- - -

Heechul and Junhyung laughed hysterically at their own supposedly hilarious stories, but Yunho's face remained stoic. His eyes followed a girl who took a seat in the table in front of him. 

"Who are you looking at?" Heechul and Junhyung asked.

"No one."

He didn't want to attract their attention to the woman; he already knew they would bother her, as they always did when they saw a pretty girl.

She drank bottle after bottle, and she soon passed out. He found some men at another table eyeing her and sighed. 

"Let's go," Yunho said, as he stood up.

"Already?"

"Nevermind, stay here. I'll leave first."

"No, we'll come too then. Why? Is something wrong?"

Junhyung and Heechul got up too.

"Nothing's wrong."

Yunho paid the bill and left, with the two men following him.

"Hyung, haha! A true man! I'll pay you back a thousand times one day, when I become a millionaire!"

"Let's go to the nightclub!" Heechul suggested.

Junhyung looked at Yunho for consent but Yunho was silent. He stopped suddenly, and said, "You guys go without me."

Yunho sprinted in the direction they came from. Heechul and Junhyung stood, dumbfounded.

- - -

Yunho entered the pojangmacha. Her seat was empty.

"Ahjumma, did you see the young woman who was sitting here?"

The woman, in her forties, obviously troubled, said, "These weird men took her and left. Her bag---"

Yunho took off before she could finish. Jessica...

He ran out of the place, and he caught the familiar retreating figures that disappeared into an alley. Yunho chased them into the alley. He saw the girl struggling away from the men, and he kicked the one holding her, before taking her in his arms

"Who-who is this bastard?"

The subordinate attempted to take advantage of Yunho, who was obviously handicapped, carrying a female in his arms. Yunho dodged him and effortlessly locked his leg around the man's neck before slamming it on the ground.

Yunho spat, "Bastards. That's for my sister."

Then, he ran out, before they could recover, with Yuri in his arms, into the protection of the open city.

- - -

As he walked home, Yuri squirming on his back, he recalled the time his sister, Jessica, was .

That particular day of school, he left his sister alone to hang out with his friends. By the time he got home, she wasn't there. And he would never forget the following morning, when she came back, her face tear-streaked and bruised, glaring at him with utter hatred.

Although Jessica forgave him, he would never forgive himself.

- - -

Yuri woke up. Where am I?

She looked around, and her eyes stopped on a gorgeous man.

"Who are you?"

"I'm Jung Yunho."

"No! I mean, why am I here?"

She widened her eyes and covered herself up. "Did you-?"

"No. I didn't." 

Yuri sighed in relief. Yunho smirked.

"I was the one who was actually imposed upon."

He watched as she sorted through her memory, and the look in her eyes changed.

An awkward silence ensued.

"Thank you..."

"Well, I didn't do it for you."

She nodded, before she came to another realization.

"My suitcase!"

Yunho looked unconcerned, before remembering the woman at the pojangmacha saying something about a bag.

He sighed, before saying, "You're new to the city right? Or else you wouldn't have passed out like that, alone in a pojangmacha."

Yuri was about to say something, but she stopped herself and just nodded.

"Follow me."

- - -

They retrieved her suitcase from the woman, who seemed relieved that Yuri was safe.

"Then goodbye," Yunho said and turned to leave.

Yuri shouted, "Wait! Sorry... But do you know any cheap rental apartments here?"

Yunho stated tersely,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter