What have I done?

I Only Want You

“What would you do if I’m the bad guy just like in your dream?”

“I won’t forgive you. I even left my father to be with you.”

“Make sure you do that. Don’t forget, get soft, or go easy on me.”

Maru recalled his conversation with Eun Gi the morning after her sudden breakdown. He wanted to regret saying those words, but there was no turning back now. With Eun Gi regaining her memories, he just has to anticipate his wife’s next move.

They lay on the bed, just like any other night, Eun Gi rested her head on Maru’s arm and her hands protectively placed on her abdomen where their baby is. With the revelation that he learned just a few hours ago, Maru can’t seem to sleep. His eyes were fixed on Eun Gi, studying every detail of her sleeping face. He could never grow tired of watching her sleep, but this night was different.  

With what thoughts are you doing these things Seo Eun Gi? Whatever it may be, just please don’t let anything happen to our child. Maru thought as he placed his hand over Eun Gi’s.

---

Maru was awaken by a noise, seemed like it was coming from the bathroom. His eyes shut open when he realized that Eun Gi was not beside him. He immediately rose from the bed and ran towards the bathroom and saw his wife helplessly throwing up on the bowl.

“Eun Gi-ya!” He worriedly called out as he kneeled beside his wife, gathered her hair together and rubbed her back. After which, he moistened a towel to wipe Eun Gi’s face.

“How are you feeling now? Where do feel any discomfort? Tell me.” His worried eyes met Eun Gi’s pale face.

“This must be what they call morning sickness. I thought I’d never experience this, I guess I was wrong.” Eun Gi managed to answer.

“You’re still on your first trimester, it’s quite expected that you’ll experience this. Now, just take a rest while I prepare breakfast for you.” Maru then carried Eun Gi and carefully placed her on their bed. He gave her a soft kiss on the forehead before leaving the room.

---

“Ya imma, you’re not going to work?” a sleepy Jae Gil rose from the couch and approached Maru in the kitchen.

“No, Eun Gi is not feeling well so I have to stay” Maru answered while blending Eun Gi’s tomato juice.

“Oh, it must be hard for her. Right, you really have to stay and take care of her. It’s your fault that she’s like that anyway.” Jae Gil smirked as if to annoy Maru.

“Yeah, and I guess you won’t experience this ever in your life.” Maru answered back as he headed to the stairs carrying Eun Gi’s meal.

“Ya! Just so you know I have a gazillion women waiting for me to marry them!” Jae Gil yelled in irritation.

Maru reached their room and he stopped on his track when he saw Eun Gi seating on their bed, her back resting on the headboard and her hand caressing her abdomen. It was indeed a beautiful view, the love of his life and their unborn child. But instead of joy, Maru only felt anxiety. He forced a smile and went near the bed,

“You’re talking to our baby?” Eun Gi was startled upon hearing Maru’s voice.

“Ah, well, yeah.” She weakly answered. Maru ran his hand over Eun Gi’s hair before lowering his head to level with Eun Gi’s abdomen.

“Hi baby, appa here. Please don’t give eomma a hard time, arachi? She loves you so don’t hurt her.” Maru’s words suddenly hit Eun Gi. It was obvious that Maru loves their child so much, but as for her, she was uncertain of what to feel about the baby. I’m sorry my baby, eomma just can’t seem to feel anything right now, I’m so sorry. Eun Gi told her unborn child.

---

“You knew it all along? Why didn’t you tell me?” Joon Ha anxiously asked Secretary Hyun.

“The director thought that we conspired to lead her into marrying Kang Maru. She’s very angry, and you know that she can be unpredictable when she’s like that.” Secretary Hyun was reluctant to answer at first, but she knew that Joon Ha should know – but she’s not to tell him everything, or else Eun Gi might kill her.

Joon Ha rubbed his head and thought deeply. In their last conversation, Eun Gi instructed him to know everything about his father’s death and warned him not to mention anything to Maru. How would he tell her about the phone call? With one wrong move, Eun Gi’s life might be in danger.

---

A few days passed and the couple was getting used to Eun Gi’s condition. Maru would make sure that he’s beside his wife every time she experiences morning sickness. He’ll prepare her meal, and go to work after. They actually haven’t announced Eun Gi’s pregnancy in Tae San, not until she passed her first trimester.

Maru was as usual preparing Eun Gi’s breakfast when he felt a warm pair of arms wrapping him from behind.

“Gomawo” he heard his wife’s sweet whisper, he can’t help but smile.

“Shouldn’t you be on bed resting?” 

“I feel better now, so I decided to have breakfast with you here.” Then silence filled the air.

“Maru-sshi, are you happy?” Eun Gi asked. Maru turned to face Eun Gi and placed his hands on her shoulders.

“Very happy” Maru smiled and embraced Eun Gi. Lies, she thought.

“How about you? Are you happy despite all these pregnancy blues?”

“Yes I am happy, thanks to you” Lies, he thought.

Their breakfast was filled with an unusually silence. If both didn’t know anything, this could be considered as a peaceful silence between two lovers, but apparently it was not. The silence was broken with a sudden knock on the door. Maru went to check, and when he opened the door a group of men were waiting for him.

“It’s him! He’s the one! He fooled my father and took his retirement money away!” one man pointed his finger at him and started shouting.

“Excuse me, but I don’t know what you’re talking about” Maru was puzzled, he hasn’t seen this man ever.

“Yah! Don’t come clean with us Kang Maru, you’re a very well-known swindler. You even seduced my sister in order to get her money!” The man kept on accusing Maru.

“We’re from the persecutors office. It looks like this is not the first time you were accused of such case Mr. Kang.” One man in suit said handing the warrant to Maru. Hearing the commotion, Eun Gi stood from her seat and went to the door.

“Maru-sshi, what seems to be the problem?” She held onto Maru’s arm.

“It’s nothing, just wait for me inside.” Maru weakly smiled patted Eun Gi’s hand.

“What ‘nothing’? My father suffered from heart attack and is now paralyzed because of what you did!”

“Whatever you’re accusing my husband, I’m sure that he cannot do anything like that.” Eun Gi said in defense.

“Oh, so you’re his wife? Got fooled too eh?” The man sarcastically said. Maru was trying to stay calm, as he didn’t want Eun Gi to incur any stress.

“Please, don’t talk to my wife in that manner. I’ll come with you if need be to prove my innocence in this case.”

“I’ll come with you” Eun Gi demanded.

“No, just stay here. You should not strain yourself. Just call Choco and Jae Gil to come home and accompany you. I’ll be back quickly, I promise.”

Maru took his coat and phone before leaving with the persecutors. Eun Gi watched them leave, and when they were out of sight, Eun Gi took her phone and dialed a number.

“He’s gone with them”

---

Maru thought that he’ll be able to settle the issue immediately, apparently, the accuser was too adamant to let him go. But at the end of the day, the persecutors concluded that there was a lack of proof that would pin Maru into the case, hence they let him go.

While on the road Maru was contacting Eun Gi’s phone to no avail. He was only relieved when he learned from Jae Gil that Eun Gi’s at home patiently waiting for him.

“Oppa! We’ve been so worried, what happened to you? It’s been a long time since you encountered such a case.” Choco ran and hugged Maru when saw him enter the house.

“Some kind of fool just wanted to ruin my day. I guess he was paid by someone in Taesan or a competitor to kick me out of the business.” Maru answered as if nothing serious happened.

“Business world is tough huh? Good thing you’re smarter than them” Jae Gil laughed in relief, but earlier he really wanted to kill Maru for getting into trouble without thinking that he’s already a family man.

“Where’s Eun Gi? Did she eat while I was away? How about her vitamins? She should not skip those.”

“Ya, ya, imma, slow down. Better ask her that. She’s upstairs.” Jae Gil answered.

---

“So he got away, right? Well I already knew he’d easily escape from the case, Kang Maru is a clever guy if I may say. This is only move number one. I’ll let you know of the next.” Eun Gi was standing near the window talking to someone on the phone. She hung up and turned to see Maru standing only a few feet away from her. Eun Gi stood frozen and dropped her phone in shock.

“You could have done better, Seo Eun Gi.” Maru said as he fixed his glare at Eun Gi. He slowly went near her, “I could have easily given in if you just informed me that it was part of your revenge” now their faces inches away from each other, Eun Gi could clearly see the hurt in Maru’s eyes.

“You already know?” Eun Gi uttered in a shaky tone.

“Know what? That you already got your memories back, and you remember what kind of a bastard I am? Well yes my dear wife.”

“If you already knew, why weren’t you doing anything?” Maru huffed upon hearing this.

“I was planning to play along with you, and see how far you could go.” Maru’s tone seemed like an insult to Eun Gi which made her furious.

“Bastard!” she slapped him on the face and as if on cue tears immediately flowed from her eyes.

“Play along with me? So I was not the only one who’s acting here huh?” Eun Gi somehow felt cheated as she thought that Maru was acting his affection towards her. Maru then faced Eun Gi again, but now, tears were also flowing from his eyes.

“I was playing along because I wanted to stay with you even if I knew that everything you did and said were only but lies!” Eun Gi’s eyes widened with Maru’s words.

“I must admit that I initially approached you to get even with Jae Hee, and you just don`t know how sorry I am. But somewhere along the way I suddenly found myself falling for you. I didn’t intend to, but I seriously fell in love with you. And since the day we got married, I only wanted you for myself. I regret using you for revenge, I regret pushing you away, but I will never regret loving you. Please Eun Gi-ya, let’s stop this for our child.” Maru poured his heart out as he reached out for Eun Gi’s arms, as if preventing her to run away.

“Do you think your ‘sorry’ will solve everything? My father died while I was crazy over you. Will your sorry bring his life back? No! You ruined my life, and if I have to drag you down to hell, I would. I’ll also be glad to bring you and Jae Hee both down with me. And this child? This child was not conceived out of love, but by lies and deceitful motives.” Eun Gi said while grinning her teeth in anger.

“I don’t want any gossips spreading around, so I will stay with you. But I will make sure that your life with me will be miserable Kang Maru. I’m no longer the loving wife with amnesia you used to fool around. I could also be a bad mother if it will make things harder for you.” She added.

“Eun Gi-ya” Maru cannot comprehend Eun Gi’s hurtful words. He knew he deserved Eun Gi’s wrath, but their innocent child should not be involved in any of these.

“Kurae, make my life miserable, do everything you want to make me suffer, but please don’t involve our child. Our baby deserves to be loved.” Maru pleaded.

“If that’s what you wish my dear husband, but I cannot guarantee you. Remember, I’m the ruthless Seo Eun Gi.” Eun Gi coldly said as she tried her best not to break down. Maru cannot bear Eun Gi’s words, he then released her from his hold and left the room.

After watching Maru leave, Eun Gi felt her knees weaken. She slowly went to their bed and allowed herself fall onto it. She gripped on the blanket as she cried her heart out. Eun Gi was disgusted with herself, and felt inhuman with the words she just said. How could she be so cruel and even involve her innocent child in her revenge? She hated Maru, but she hated herself all the more.

Maru’s feet dragged him to the empty streets of their neighborhood. He also felt weak, as he fell on the pavement. He lifted his hands to cover his face. He groaned in pain as tears flowed like a river from his eyes. He knew this day would come, but he didn`t prepare himself to feel this kind of agony.

The moon served as witness to the misery that the couple experienced during that night.

---

True to word, the couple did stay together, but now the coldness was obvious between the two. It’s been three days since the incident and they barely speak with each other. Jae Gil and Choco noticed this and began wondering what could have happened between the two.

“Oppa, can I ask you something?” Choco shyly approached Maru.

“What is it?”

“I don’t mean to interfere, but is something wrong between you and unnie? I mean you don’t speak to each other, it’s like you’re not a couple. Yes, you still cook for her and tend to her other needs, but there’s something off. The warmth is not there. “ Maru was surprised, he didn’t notice, rather, he was not mindful that Choco was observing them.

“Ah, no, nothing’s wrong with us. You know pregnant women encounter a lot of changes in their body, and that includes mood swings. Don’t worry, your unnie will get through it. Alright, I have to go.” Maru lightly brushed Choco’s head before heading out. While on the road, Maru can’t take off his mind about what Choco said earlier. He has to get used to this because he agreed to live in misery with Eun Gi.

---

“I believe you have to know about this.” Joon Ha handed over a voice recorder to Maru. With a curious look, Maru pushed the play button. The voices in the audio were familiar, and a few moments later Maru finally realized that it was a recorded audio before President Seo’s death.  He was still processing the things he just heard when Joon Ha spoke,

“This was also why I allowed Eun Gi to be with you. Jae Hee and Min Young would not dare lift a finger when you’re around. But, these past weeks, I’m afraid that Eun Gi might do something that would endanger her life. Well, I also have to let you know that-“

“That she got her memories back, yes I already know that.” Maru coldly said. “True, Eun Gi is capable of doing anything just to get even” Maru added as he remembered that night of revelation.

“Yes, and that’s precisely why I told you. I think you’re the best person who could stop her.” Joon Ha’s statement made Maru grin.

“Do you still remember what you told me before? That once Eun Gi’s memories return, it’s game over for me. I must say that you’re right. I’m afraid that I cannot control Eun Gi’s actions because she hates me a lot. She could actually leave me after knowing everything, but she chose to stay because of the baby.”

“Baby?” Joon Ha’s face twitched in confusion.

“Eun Gi’s actually pregnant with our child. The idea of Eun Gi carelessly moving to gain justice for his father scares me a lot. She might not even think that another life is depending on her. So I suggest that we keep this for ourselves. I’ll see what I can do.” Joon Ha nodded in agreement, though he felt his heart break upon knowing Eun Gi’s condition.

“Honestly, I can face any consequence for keeping the truth about President Seo’s death, except for Eun Gi’s wrath. I’d rather die than see her piercing gaze.” Maru bitterly smiled, he must admit that Eun Gi’s gaze alone could be deadly.

---

“Kya, what does this beautiful woman need from me? It’s good to see you again!” Jae Sik grinned upon seeing Eun Gi enter the pub room. Eun Gi has actually been in contact with Jae Sik when Secretary Hyun informed her that he’s long been in a bad relationship with Jae Hee. She thought that he could probably help her bring Jae Hee down.

“Do you want a drink? My treat!” Jae Sik offered in a sneaky tone.

“No, I have to pass. I want this to end fast. Do you know anything about the crime where Maru was involved seven years ago?”

“Of course, the Taesan official right?”

“Yes, records show that it was self defense. But, self defense from what? It doesn’t make sense.”

Jae Sik scoffed, “Of course it doesn’t make sense. I bet Maru only covered my dear sister from that crime. He was crazily in love with her then!” Eun Gi clenched her fists upon hearing this.

“Oh sorry, I almost forgot that you’re married to him” he smirked.

“Let’s not talk about that. So you were saying that Maru only took the crime in order to protect Jae Hee. So she was the one who killed the man?”

“Well my brotherly instincts say ‘yes’”

“Alright, that’s what I need to know. I’ll go ahead” Eun Gi placed a bundle of money on the table and stood the leave room.

“Woah, Kang Maru is such a lucky man. Tsk!” Jae Sik commented as he admired Eun Gi’s slender figure.

---

“Where have you been? I’ve been trying to call you countless times but you’re not answering.” Maru worriedly asked Eun Gi as soon as she entered the house.

“It’s none of your concern.” She sternly answered.

“Well for your information it does concern me because you’re my wife, and not only that, you’re also carrying my child.” Maru said in a matter-of-fact tone.

Eun Gi smirked, “Is that so? Didn’t we agree that I’ll make your life miserable? So get used to this.”
She was about to head for the stairs when Maru held her arm. “Eun Gi-ya, please let’s just stop all these.” He pleaded.

“I won’t stop until I bring you all down” Eun Gi pulled her arm from his hold and took a few steps when she suddenly felt a stabbing pain on her midsection. She fell to the floor and cringed in pain.

“Eun Gi-ya!” Maru ran to her side, and their eyes grew wide when they saw something flowing from Eun Gi’s legs – blood.

What have I done? These were Eun Gi’s last thoughts before passing out. 

 

*****

So there it is, chapter 7! Thank you for reading! Sorry if I had to make this chapter a bit dark and heavy for the heart. I also felt bad knowing that our couple needs to undergo this dilemma. But just like any story, it needs to have some conflicts ;) Stay tuned!

P.S. As always, I'd really love to hear your thoughts! :D