CHAPTER 3

LOVE ME LITTLE, LOVE ME LONG

When Jong Kook and Ji Hyo come to CJes studio, Gap Jin has already been there. He greets Ji Hyo while smiles from ear to ear, then he turns to Jong Kook, pats the singer’s shoulder, “Good job, boy.” Ji Hyo gives Jong Kook a questionable look, but he just shrugs his shoulder and guides Ji Hyo to sit at a small sofa inside the control room. Jong Kook greets the music production team and starts discussing about the song as well as his expectation. Sitting silently at the sofa, Ji Hyo looks at his perfect side-view face, “Oppa is indeed very handsome when he focuses on work like this.” She is unaware that Gap Jin who went outside earlier has been already returned to the room with a cup of coffee on his hand. The manager is standing at the door, amuses at how Ji Hyo draws all her attention to Jong Kook and smiles for no reason. Tsk tsk, both of them are very smart, but how can they not know the love of each other? No wonder people usually say the outsider is wiser - he thinks.

“Ji Hyo, have a drink. It may take a long time.”

“Thanks, Gap Jin oppa. How many songs that Jong Kook oppa needs to record here?”

Should I tell her the fact that Jong Kook specially writes this song for her, and we arrange a recording here, so we can invite her to come and hear Jong Kook singing without making other people suspicious? No. I had better let Jong Kook tell that his own.

“He has only one left, but there are two or three songs that he is not totally satisfied with them lately, so maybe he needs to re-record those songs too. You know, sometimes he is very picky, especially when it comes to music and his dietary.”

Ji Hyo nods, showing her agree with his statement, “Yes, he is. He always nags me about my eating habit. And how can he eat all that healthy food constantly? I would rather die early than live until 200 years without delicious food”

Gap Jin laughs, “I know... right?”

 

Jong Kook who is done talking with the production team walks to Ji Hyo and sits next to her. He asks, “What are you two talking about? Do you defame me behind my back?”

“Of course it’s about you, but we don’t defame you, we just state the truth,” Ji Hyo answers, playfully sticks her tongue out.

Jong Kook smiles broadly at her cuteness, while Gap Jin quietly disappears to give them private time.

“I’m going to start in about five minutes; the recording process may take a few hours, so if you feel bored...”

“Don’t worry about me, oppa. Just give me a perfect performance, neh?” Jong Kook pats her head lightly before walks to the isolation booth and Ji Hyo cheers him “Fighting, oppa!”

Oppa, you don’t know, right?… the fact that as long as you are by my side, I’m never getting bored or tired, not even a minute; all the blue feeling just vanish like a bubble, magically. I know it sounds silly but when we film Running man every week, I always hope the filming time is longer, so I can have more time with you.


 

The music starts and Jong Kook sings the beautiful lyric that he writes for Ji Hyo with all his heart.

While just looking at you drunk

I only sneak a look at you secretly because I can’t take my eyes off.

Days passed and you still come into my mind again and again.

One day passed too as I was considering to find an excuse.

You were so pretty and your eyes were very beautiful then.

You stole my heart the moment that I met you.

You are so gorgeous. You’re lovely when smiling.

You stole my heart the moment that I met you.

I tried to get you out of my mind but I couldn’t.

I cannot stand it anymore. I don’t have the guts to meet you.

One day is passing while thinking of this.

You were so pretty and your eyes were very beautiful then.

I took to you the moment that I met you.

You are so gorgeous. You’re lovely when smiling.

I took to you the moment that I met you.

Uh Uh you stole my heart.

Uh Uh you stole my heart.

You’re getting nearer to me.

My quivering lips can’t move.

And one day is passing away…


Ji Hyo stands in the control room, her eyes widen as she stuns upon hearing the lyrics. She is even more surprised at the way Jong Kook looks deep into her eyes when he sings the chorus. At a moment, Ji Hyo could not think anything, she only sees him, his intense look, his charming smile, his amazing voice, and most important, his meaningful lyrics. She just awaken when she hears a loud clapping from the production team as the song ends. The composer gives him a thumbs up, showing his satisfaction with Jong Kook’s recording result. The music producer talks to Jong Kook, “Wow, such an amazing performance. Good job, Jong Kook-ssi. I think we can go home earlier today thanks to you. Now rest a little bit and we will move to the second song.”

Ji Hyo raises her head and sees Jong Kook’s eyes fix on her. She is confusing; her instinct tells her that this is a song for her, that Jong Kook is actually confessing his feeling through the song. But at the same time, her mind prevents her from drawing any conclusion too soon. Honestly, Ji Hyo can easily sense the feeling of others, but she is always uncertain about Jong Kook’s. She falls for him because of his thoughtfulness and kindness, but sometime she hates this gentleman side of him because she could not tell all his cares for her are come from some special affection or simply from his natural personality. There are many times she wants to ask him directly, but she is too afraid of hearing her unwanted answer, so she just keeps the question for herself. This time, whatever the answer is, I will not avoid it anymore. Oppa please tell me, I am not in an illusion now, right?

Jong Kook stays still in the booth, he nervously observes Ji Hyo’s reaction. He can see clearly the daze in her eyes at first, but to his disappointing, she goes “blank” again. He did hope that after he gives a hint through this song, he could manage to find a clue of her feeling from the way she reacts; however, it seems like his plan does not work. Then, he sees Ji Hyo raises her head, her beautiful brown orbs are full of questions. A moment later, she gives him a deep gaze and by some miracle, he suddenly ‘hears’ her question. Jong Kook holds his breath, slowly nods at Ji Hyo. One, two, three seconds passed, he could hear his heart throbbing loudly, and finally he sees her face beam with joy. If there is no one around them, he may jump with joy already but too bad that they are not alone. How the recording is going on after that, both of them don’t know. They have been walking on air since they confirm each other’s feeling.

After bid the production team farewell, Jong Kook and Ji Hyo walk to his van. His very understanding manager is nowhere to be seen again. As soon as they get in the van, Jong Kook pulls her into a tight embrace, his hand gently touches her silky hair “Ji Hyo ah, you are real, right? I’m really afraid that this is just a marvelous dream and I will wake up soon.” Resting the head on Jong Kook’s broad shoulder and feeling love in his voice, Ji Hyo giggles at her oppa’s silly question, yet she feels happy at the same time. “Oppa, should I pull your hair hardly to make sure that you are not dreaming?” Jong Kook loose his embrace, fondly cups her face in both his hands and chuckles, “Aigoo, this is really my Ji Hyo, the one who is in my dream is always gentle and elegant…”

“Mwuh rah goo? Yah, Kim Jong Kook, do you want to die? Are you implying that I’m crude and inelegant in real life?”

“Yah, Song Ji Hyo, how can you call your boyfriend’s name like that? You should always call me oppa, understand?”

Both of them burst into laughter. Jong Kook hugs Ji Hyo again “The truth is, no matter what personality you are showing, the cute Mong Ji, the fierce Ace, the gorgeous actress Ji Hyo, or the kindly Seong Im, I still love you and everything belongs to you, Ji Hyo ah.”

Jong Kook’s words touch her deeply, her head is dizzy with delight, Ji Hyo pulls him close, putting her hand around his back and the other hand cradling the back of his head before kissing him, “I love you too, Jong Kook oppa.”