CHAPTER 2

LOVE ME LITTLE, LOVE ME LONG

Anyang. At the gym.


Despite how tired Jong Kook was after the long day filming and the effect of alcohol, he did not sleep much last night. Many complicated thoughts occupy his mind, so he decides to go exercise at the gym near his house, hope that the workout can distract him from those thoughts. Unfortunately, Jong Kook is not concentrated into his workout as usual. His mind keeps thinking about the conversation between Ji Hyo and Junsu that he accidentally overheard last night, since they were a little drunk and “whispered” louder than they should.

 

“Noona, are you really alright?”

“Of course I am. Waee, Junsu ah?”

“Jaejoong has already told us”

“Ah, about my relationship with Chang Joo oppa had ended. My dongsaeng, don’t worry. Don’t you see how much love that I am received from others? I just have not found my only one special person in the world yet, but I have my family who always support me no matter what happens, my oppas who care for me and my thoughtful dongsaengs like you.”


Upon recalling the conversation, a bunch of questions comes to him.

Am I hearing right? If yes, should I catch this opportunity to let her know about my feeling? But seem like Ji Hyo doesn’t want others people know about her break up. Is there any change she still loves Baek Chang Joo? Or she may think that I take advantage of her while she is vulnerable?


 

One year ago, he started to realize his affection to Ji Hyo. But at the same time, all the members could see how Gary is attracted by Ji Hyo, for real. Although Ji Hyo had already stated that she just treats Gary like her brother, and Monday couple is only existed on screen, Gary still could not restrain himself from loving her. After all, if you can easily control your affection toward someone, then that feeling is not love anymore. Seeing his close dongsaeng struggle to get over Ji Hyo, plus being uncertain about Ji Hyo’s feeling for him, Jong Kook was not brave enough to confess his love.

She is so precious, thus I’m scared of ruining our current relationship if I tell her my feeling.

Everything will be perfect if she also has the same feeling with me. But what if she just likes me as her close friend or her elder brother, what if she becomes awkward after hearing my confession? Our closeness will never go back to the way it was. Just thinking about it hurts me a lot. So I choose to just stand next to her and share the funny moments with her like this, sometimes steal a glance at her bright smile and feel my heart beats faster like this, secretly protect her like this and treasure every moment I have with her. Sometimes I become greedier and that’s not enough for me, but what else I can do?

Until one day…. “Oppa, there is something that I need to let all of you know in advance, I’m dating with Baek Chang Joo, the CEO of my company. I think this news will be public soon.”

The sharp pain that banged his heart at that moment, he still remembers it. A mix of feelings came to him, he felt sad, angry at himself, regretful and hopeless at the same time. As time passed by, Ji Hyo has become closer to him. In Running man filming set or in real life, she tends to rely on him and always trust him unconditionally. She seems more lively and happy, and Jong Kook told himself that as long as he still can stay by her side, his pain is no longer important.



 

A loud ring from his phone brings Jong Kook back to the present. It’s a call from Gap Jin.

“Hyung, I’m at the gym. I will finish after around 30 minutes.”

“Jong Kook ah, I have two things that you have to know. I intend to talk to you at your home, but now I think talking over phone is fine. And remember; don’t interrupt me when I don’t finish talking.”

“Ah, hyung, why do you sound so serious? Is there any bad news?”

“In my opinion, it’s a big opportunity. But whether this chance can lead to a good result or not, it depends on you, Jong Kook. The first one, since you have recorded “So pretty” many times, but the product is still not meet your criteria, I decide that you may need a change. Maybe record it in another studio, and work with another production team can help you refresh. I have connected with CJes studio and they are ready for collaborate with us. Starting from today, their studio is available for you.”

“But hyung, why is CJes? I …”

“Shhh, don’t interrupt me. The second thing is from a reliable person who works in CJes, Ji Hyo and the CEO of CJes have separated a couple months ago. Now, your turn. What do you want to say?”

“What do you mean hyung? I… about Ji Hyo...actually I just knew yesterday. But we talking about work, why do you mention her all of sudden? And of all studios that we know, why do you choose CJes?”

“Jong Kook ah, the reasons, you clearly know. I don’t try to dig your secret, so you don’t have to explain anything to me. I see you as my own brother and I just want you to happy. I did everything I can to give you a path, whether you step on it or not, it’s your choice. Remember, love cannot be found where it doesn't exist, nor can it be hidden where it truly does. Then, see you later at the studio, and I hope you don’t come alone.”

 

Jong Kook is too surprised because of Gap Jin’s words, so he just sits on the floor and stares at his phone in silence. Ten minutes passes and he suddenly hits his own head. Kim Jong Kook is an idiot, how can I don’t understand something simple like that? Loving her is not a sin, why I much care too much about what people might say? If I never try, how can I know the result? I want her to be happy, then I will become the one who is able to make her happy all her life. With determination, Jong Kook quickly changes his clothes and drive to Ji Hyo’s house.



 

Ilsan. Ji Hyo’s house.


Ring ~ ring ~ ring… Being half awake, JH stretches her arm a little to reach the alarm and turns it off. She immediately falls asleep again. However, her phone keeps ringing. Aishh, I really hate this ringtone. Irritated, JH still closes her eyes and picks up the phone without looking at the caller ID.

“Ahnneyong ha seyo”

“Ji Hyo ah, it’s Jong Kook oppa”

“Hello oppa”

“Can you go out? I’m in front of your building”

“Arraseo, you are in front of… WHATTT? Did you just say my building, my house? Oppa, you are crazy!”

Jong Kook chuckles, “Yah, Ji Hyo ah, what is so crazy about that? It’s not like I never come to your house before.”

“Oh, you don’t know oppa? What if some paparazzi take a picture of you waiting in front of my building at this time in the morning, don’t you know it can cause a big scandal?”

“Morning? Aigoo, our sleeping beauty, is 5 pm considered morning in your world?” Imaging her cute “mong” face like the times when she just wakes up in Running man, he can’t help but break into a broad grin.

“It’s 5 already? Heol, I feel like I did not sleep at all. Oppa, sorry for yelling at you. I will go to your car in a short time.”

“You don’t need to hurry Ji Hyo ah, take your time.”

“Neh, oppa.”


After ends the phone call, Ji Hyo jumps to her bathroom to clean up. Then she runs to her dressing room, takes out five different outfits. “This one is too dressy, this is too casual- He is not like this color- No, this is a bit too y- Wow, this is perfect, check.” Quickly put on some light make up, she rushes to the elevator.


 

“Oppa~” Ji Hyo smiles and waves at Jong Kook while she half-running toward his direction. Jong Kook looks at her, wonders how can she delights his world just by her presence. She is adorable, as always and he can feel his heart flutters when she comes closer and grabs his arm. “Why are you here, oppa?”

“Get in the car first, Ji Hyo ah. It’s a little cold.”

As they sit inside the car, Jong Kook hangs Ji Hyo a cup of Americano and a bag of potatoes and rice crackers. “You have not eaten anything, right? Have some snacks first, and we will have dinner later.”

“Oppa daebak. I’m super hungry right now. But where are we going, oppa?”

“To CJes studio. For some reasons, I will record one or maybe some of my songs for the upcoming album there. And I think you may want to hear it, so I pick you up to go with me.”

“Jin jja yo? I can hear your songs before your album is released, daebak. So what is the name of the song, oppa?”

“The title is suitable to you, Ji Hyo ah. It’s “So pretty.”

Ji Hyo dazes a little at Jong Kook’s words. So pretty... oppa says I’m so pretty. Does it mean something, by any chance? She gazes at him, tries to read something from his face expression, but all her can see is his smile, the smile that always makes her feel warm and eases her tension. Maybe I think too much again. She then focuses on her food and Jong Kook teases her. Ji Hyo strikes back and they start a little childish argue like they usually do on Running man. The giggles can be heard during the rest of time until they reach their destination.