two; them

The Pain of December
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

VODKA RAIN "그 어떤 말로도" please listen to this while reading

two; them

"Unnie! Happy birthday!", I said while smiling a smile that almost touched my ears. It was my trademark, my wide smile. The petite pale girl smiled back at me, like always. Her smiles were always much more controlled and almost as if shy. I gave her my present, it was nothing fancy, but I knew she would love it. She loved everything simple. She had always been like that, just the thought of someone giving her something, made her feel touched. And I loved her for it.

She took the gift thanking me at the same time. It felt good, to make her happy for once. I felt the urge to grab the scissors from her hand and open up the gift for her, but I kept it to myself. I felt sad as I watched her slim fingers open up the wrapping paper carefully. I knew I shouldn't have felt like that. It was her birthday, after all.

The room was warm, even though the air outside was cold. The leaves in the trees had turned yellow and red, making it beautiful to look at. I watched her lift the item from the box, and the genuine smile that took over her lips. She stared at the bracelet admiringly, and then turned to me. "Thank you, Haera, thank you so much", she told and I knew she meant it. The tears were urging to come out, and I knew what she was thinking about. I chose to ignore it, for today.

"Read the text!", I told her and she turned to the bracelet once again. She searched for the carving for a few seconds, before she spotted it, on the inside of the bracelet. She tilted the jewelry to be able to read it, and when I saw her teary eyes, the world stopped for a second. I felt breathless, for I loved her that much. I just made her happy.

"Love is when the other person's happiness is more important than your own. And I love you, unnie", she read it out loud and as she turned to look at me, I knew everything she felt.

"I love you too, Haera", she said and I reached for a hug, which she responded to whole-heartedly. "You've been here for fifteen years. Please stay for many more years", I pleaded into her ear, desperate. "Please", I whispered and it didn't take long for her to burst into tears, her slim figure clinging into me.

And so we cried, because we knew. She wasn't a person meant to stay, for heaven needed her desperately.

But, still, hope lingered.

And as we let each other go, and dried our tears, we watched her favorite movie together. We listened to her favorite songs together, and we danced together. That night, we watched the Sun rise, without feeling tired.

We lived in the moment, for we knew tomorrow would bring her back to the usual sadness. And my heart ached alongside hers.

"Unnie, I like someone."

"Who?"

"It's a secret, unnie. Only I'm allowed to know who it is."

"Then why did you tell me?"

"Because you need to know about it! How could I not tell you?"

"You ar

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter