Overexposure

Picturesque

Overexposure [oh-ver-ik-spoh-zher] 
noun
1. 
excessive exposureespecially of photographicfilm or a sensitized plate to light rays.
2. 
the condition of having been seen, heard, oradvertised so frequently or for so long thatfreshness or appeal is diminished.


 

“Why are you so pissed?” YoonGi laughed, “Was it because I made you go out and buy me food? Look, you bought some for yourself too while you were at it! So why are you being so stingy!?” He scoffed, pointing at the noodles Hoseok shoveled into his mouth. Hoseok sat at the coffee table, staring daggers up at his roommate… What an . How could he do this to his own roommate? To his friend?

“It’s not that.” He snapped back and picked up another large amount of noodles with his chopsticks. He didn’t even blow on them and stuffed them regrettably into his mouth. It didn’t even take a second to register before he spit them back out, his tongue feeling like it was on fire. It was all YoonGi’s fault! He couldn’t think straight, and now he burned his tongue! Everything is always YoonGi’s fault!

“Ahhh, it’s because I was talking to your little girlfriend wasn’t it?” YoonGi snapped his fingers, finally realizing it and walking across the room like he was some genius. Took him long enough… But a deep blush crept across Hoseok’s cheeks as he realized the dope figured it out.

“Y-Yah, I bought you lunch and now you won’t eat it? Sit down already…!” Hoseok gripped like a mother. With a big satisfied smile on his face, YoonGi plopped down on the floor across from him and cracked apart his chopsticks. What was up with him…? If only Hoseok could wipe that dumb look off his face… Urgh! Everything YoonGi did was pissing him off now! The stupid look on his face, the stupid way his hair was all out of place, the stupid way he slurped up his stupid noodles that he bought, even the stupid way he held is stupid chopsticks! His blood was boiling at the sight of YoonGi’s hand on top of her head, like they were suddenly that close… His temper didn’t simmer down at all in the amount of time that passed. Thinking about it more only twisted his memory into ugly pictures. His hand on top of her head, ruffling her hair… his hand brushing down the side of her cheek, him leaning into her, there lips me- Stop and rewind.

“You know, technically speaking, you can’t be mad at me,” Hoseok looked up from his dish and gave him a harsh stare again, why the hell not? “That’s not scary by the way. Anyways, you haven’t made any advances at her to claim her as your girlfriend. You can’t be mad when you won’t even try. Not that I want her, but she’s still free game for other guys ya know.” YoonGi shrugged and picked up more noodles. Like Hoseok didn’t already know that…!

“Wh-What’s so bad about her!? Huh!? Why don’t you want her!?” Hoseok jumped up from his place on the floor, his fists clenched at his sides “She perfect! She’s beautiful!”

“She’s unkempt.” YoonGi responded.

“She’s thoughtful!”

“She sure is, she’s in her head all the time.” He sighed and nibbled on the ends of his chopsticks.

“She’s artistic!”

“So’s every other girl that goes to this university.” He yawned and started picking at his teeth.

“She’s really smart!” Hoseok countered back, remembering the way she knew so much about the stars in the sky at night and how without a smile, her face lit up with information…

“Yeah right!” YoonGi chuckled. What…!? How dare he, he barely knows her and he calls her stupid? If Hoseok was angry before he was furious now.

“She’s nicer than your girlfriend will ever hope to be! At least she was raised well!”

“Yah, watch yourself.” YoonGi grumbled and snapped his chopsticks in Hoseok’s direction. “But you just got mad at me for talking to a friend you so happen to like and now you’re telling me I should go after her? How contradictory.” YoonGi sighed and started digging into his food once again. At least she was raised well! Ugh, that sentence only reminded YoonGi of that night… Just thinking of the words he used on her left the same sour taste on his tongue.

He caught Hoseok in a trap… Why was he being such a jerk!? His appetite completely disappeared once he sat down, staring at what was left of his black bean noodles made him want to regurgitate what he had eaten of it already. It was YoonGi’s fault too! Everything was YoonGi’s fault today, it was decided.

“Did you even apologize to her yet for scaring her or whatever you did?” Why did YoonGi care so much? The way he was talking made it sound like he didn’t. Hoseok wished he would stop putting on the lame caring hyung act… He knew he didn’t care about his love life, because it didn’t benefit him in anyway.

“Why do you care?” Hoseok snapped and pushed his food away from him. He seemed to shrink under YoonGi’s rapid fire, leaning back into the bottom bar of the futon and crossing his arms. Oh how he wished he could somehow just get into the futons fabric and disappear.

“Yah, don’t be that way.” YoonGi frowned in that way that made all the girls swoon, to Hoseok it was funnier than anything else, “I’ve known you for four years and you think I don’t care? That hurts.”  Hoseok rolled his eyes before letting out a long sigh. He was right, he knew YoonGi cared about him… He knew he was just overreacting, but who wouldn’t? YoonGi would too if he saw another guy with Stephanie… Hell, he might even beat the guy to a bloody pulp.

“Look, all you gotta do is go to her dorm, or even find her around campus, whatever floats your boat kid. And just say, ‘Yo, sorry for messing up the date that my hyung so pain-stakingly set up for me.’ Boom, simple as that Hobi!” YoonGi laughed at his own joke of advice. But of course… YoonGi never followed his own advice. He was a coward and couldn’t even apologize to Hae Ri in person either. But his circumstances were completely different than Hoseok’s! Probably…

Hoseok simply stared at YoonGi with a funny look. Was he serious? Of course not, when was YoonGi ever serious? “Yeah, it must have been so hard. Stephanie does whatever you want, whenever you ask!” Hoseok scoffed, anyone with eyes could see that…

“It’s harder than you think! Whenever I ask her about Hae Ri, she yells at me and won’t tell me anything. She really dislikes Hwang Hae Ri for some reason…” YoonGi mumbled to himself, getting lost in his own thoughts.

“You ask her about Hae Ri…? Why…?” There was a sinking feeling in his stomach, was YoonGi really trying to go after Hae Ri!? “H-Hyung…!” Hoseok whined.

“No no no… It’s not like that. I have a girlfriend idiot. She’s just a weird girl and I’m curious about her… No one is as weird as she is naturally.” He frowned, the more Hoseok looked at him the quieter he got. Just how deep was he digging into his own head? And he makes fun of Hae Ri for it… . “Ah, speaking of Hae Ri and all this apology junk she wanted me to relay a message for her.” YoonGi scoffed and crossed his arms, mumbling something under his breath. Why did he look so bothered all of a sudden? But a message from Hae Ri…? For Hoseok? That sinking feeling in his stomach from earlier immediately cured itself and left his heart feeling like and fluttery.

“She said she’s sorry for that night. She blamed herself I guess, you’re off to a bad start in this blooming relationship my friend.” YoonGi smirked and leaned back into the stand that their TV sat on, almost acting superior in some way. And that sinking feeling was back, his face draining of color, “Yah, don’t go making yourself sick now. If you can’t go up to her and do it, just write her a note… or something.” YoonGi mumbled, looking at him he had a faint blush on his cheeks.

She apologized before he could…? Ugh! He was such a coward! How could Hae Ri blame herself for his stupid mistakes!? She really was too nice… His eyes looked over to his bed where her scarf hung around the foot of it.

 

It had been over two weeks… Over two weeks since she had last seen Min YoonGi. Over two weeks that she couldn’t get that terrifying expression out of her head. To see such a blank stare, that was truly terrifying. Min YoonGi seemed to be many things in the little time she had made his acquaintance, but contrary to what information Stephanie had trickled to her, Min YoonGi was not an emotionless man… Almost every time they had met, his eyes had held so much emotion even if his face had displayed none to reveal his mood. But that day… That day they had looked so empty, like an abandoned building. Was it something that she had said to him? Did she upset him? Her heart began to race and an uncomfortable sweat bead on the back of her neck just thinking about it.

Then again, it had been even longer since she had last seen Hoseok. Was he doing well? Her fingers dove into the fuzzy fabric wrapped around her neck. There was still that faint scent of a man that lingered in its thickest folds. Was this what he smelled like? It smelled like expensive cologne with a hint of generic shower soap… Her eyes shut for a moment as she tried to recall his face, for some reason she had trouble recalling the exact details of it… It had been too long perhaps…  

Students buzzed with life around the classroom; jogging up and down the levels of seating, constant turning of the rotating door into the dark room, laughter echoing off the walls, the tapping of quick fingers against keyboards as students browsed through social media instead of pulling their projects up on photoshop.

“Hwang Hae Ri!” The teacher called out. It was as if a shock wave rippled through her, the poor girl’s soul being pulled back into her body with such a force. Her eyes quickly darted up, her hands fumbling to fix the glasses that had slipped down her nose and swat away the loose strands of her hair, “Class has been in session for the past thirty minutes, and you haven’t even gotten your laptop out to dink around! You’re staring off into space! I take it you have finished your photos. Matted and everything.” The teacher’s arms crossed over her heavily padded chest.

Hae Ri could feel the blood rushing to her cheeks in a rather uncomfortable way, her eyes darting around to her classmates who seemed too busy with their own work to notice the teacher’s rather loud scolding. Yet why did it feel like all eyes were boring into her…? Once again they looked back up to face the rather irritated elder.

“N…No ma’am…” She muttered, utter embarrassment making her shrink in her seat.

“If you aren’t finished and you’re just sitting here day dreaming, you mustn’t want to be here.” The teacher scoffed, “Well, go on. Get out of my class if you wish to waste yours and my precious time. Either way I am still getting paid.” And with that the teacher and stormed down the tiered floor towards her desk.

Hae Ri sat, flabbergasted at what had just happened. Never had she been scolded in this manner, never had she been kicked out of a class in all her years of academic schooling. Didn’t the teacher like her…? Perhaps not. Then again, who did like her?

“I was not joking Ms. Hwang Hae Ri! Stay if you wish, but you will be marked absent either way. Might as well take your leave and do your day dreaming elsewhere.” The teacher boasted from the front of the studio, this now garnered a few looks from her classmates. With a rather painful bite to her bottom lip to hold in the tears of embarrassment, she quickly grabbed her purse and rushed to the door of the classroom. A few students were sharing laughter behind her, and no matter how much she tried to convince herself otherwise, she felt it was directed at her down to her core.

The cool air outside hit her like a wall, like little needles poking and prodding at her exposed skin. As she exhaled a cloud had formed in its place, how frustrating! Quickly she sidestepped out of the way of the entrance and immediately sank against the concrete exterior. Her jeans connected with the thin layer of snow packed ice, her hands felt as if they were freezing to the pathway. How could she have been so foolish!? Her hand smacked against her forehead a few times, leaving frozen wet marks against the skin. Stupid, idiot, get your act together! A coolness had begun to soak through her jeans, but that was of little importance to her in this moment.

After a few moments of self-loathing, a long sigh escaped her lips. Another cold and chilly day, and winter hadn’t even started yet. Her eyes looked out from under the concrete awning and up towards the dark grey sky that promised more snowfall. The longer she stared, the more it reminded her… Lingering warmth of the protective arms around her, the snow melting through her dirty jeans, a sharp pain in her leg. A dull pain began to wane in and out at the base of her neck, a sign that she was beginning to think too much, to remember too much.

Ah…! So it was going to snow. Soft flakes sprinkled down from the skies, sticking to the already frozen ground and pathway. Slowly her hand snuck its way into her bag, her finger tips brushing over crisp paper, a relaxing feeling immediately washing over her and calming her nerves; even the beginning of her migraine disappeared for the moment.

She pulled the pieces out and unfolded them, the two notes staring straight at her. Wouldn’t most people have thrown such useless things away by now? Probably… But these held such meaning to Hae Ri. Never had she heard someone even mutter a sorry to her. Never had she received a note of genuine sorry. No one had ever been sorry to her… No one had ever felt the need to apologize to such a terrible person. Her hands grasped the papers tighter, stop thinking about it. When you think about it, it only hurts more.

“Jung Hoseok…” She mumbled, reading the signature at the bottom of the first note, “Min YoonGi…” She read the signature of the latter, “Thank you…” She had to fold them and hide them in the safe place of the pocket before she started crying. What a baby. Can’t even take a simple gesture without returning it with tears.

A vibration buzzed against her leg, sending a tickling sensation. Quickly she dug into her skinny jeans to see who had been contacting her, actually, she knew who was contacting her. Only few people had her cell phone number, and only one person ever bothered to call her.

“Hello grandfather…!” She answered cheerfully, a small smile parting her lips for once.

My angel…” He started; his usual upbeat voice seemed off. In fact, nothing about it was ‘upbeat’ like she had known. A rock had sunk in her stomach, this was the beginning of something that was supposed to be forgotten, long long forgotten.

After a few moments that smile faded.

“I… I had forgotten. Yes, I understand.” Hae Ri responded to his short message, “Alright… I’ll buy my ticket back home this weekend…” The grip on her phone began to tighten, “No… No it’s okay. I can make it there on my own. ” Every muscle had gone limp, every bone seemed to melt.

How could she have forgotten?

“Yeah. I love you too, grandfather. I’ll see you next month.” There was no attempt to hang up, just the drop of her arm and the clatter of her cell phone as it smacked against the pavement. The snow she had sat upon soaked through her jeans completely, soaking her backside. It was time to head back to the dorms; there was no point in staying out in this weather… It only worsened the mood. She had been out in the cold for far too long, Hae Ri had always been out in the cold for far too long... 

She had an anniversary to prepare for. 


A/N:

WOWEE HAS IT BEEN A WHILE.

I'm so sorry for the short chapter but i knew i had to put something out there.

I'm hoping to be able to update again soon!

College is crazy.

Thanks for sticking around and waiting patiently for me!