Negative Film

Picturesque

neg·a·tive film [/ˈnegətiv/ /film/] noun:
1. Color or black and white that represents the scene in reversed tones. When reproduced with reversal processing on negative-type photographic paper, the image appears in the same tones as the actual scene


 

Hae Ri, why are you running from umma?

You’re mad because umma is late again, aren’t you?

It’s cold our here, don’t you think? Here, why don’t you come down the slide! Umma will catch you at the bottom!

Ahhhh! That’s my little cheonsa(angel)! Shall we go home where it’s warm? Appa will be home before us I bet!

Hae Ri opened her eyes to the sound of her stereo changing CD’s for her alarm, the soft sound of the plastic gears turning and reading. Any second music would start playing to tell her it’s time to rise and shine.  What day was it? Did she have an early morning class? With a groan she rolled over, trying to read the white board nailed to her wall. Without her glasses it was useless, but she could read the small number for the morning class she had. She still had a few more hours… What was she going to do in that time?

Music started drifting out of the speakers, filling the room with a slow piano melody. For a moment, she just laid in bed, letting the music take her away from reality. A painful feeling kept stabbing at her heart, but for what reason she didn’t know, but her body felt tense and her leg muscles were stiff and sore… Something happened last night, she was sure of it… She just couldn’t remember the details.  

Slowly she pushed herself up in bed, stretching out her arms and legs to the best of her ability. Other than the music and the quiet hum of the heater, the room was strangely quiet. Hae Ri never minded being alone, for she spent most of her life away from people… But there was something uncomfortable about this silence. Her hand reached over and grabbed her thick framed glasses from a necklace that hung on and pushed them onto her face… Did Stephanie ever come back to the dorm last night? Thinking about it again, when she returned home the dorm was pitch black and cold as if the heater hadn’t been turned back on.

With a sigh, Hae Ri got out of bed and stepped back, attempting to look up onto Stephanie’s bed. She had been right, there was no sleeping lump of Stephanie to be found.

“Did she stay at YoonGi sunbae’s…?” She asked herself, scratching the back of her neck. There was another annoying squeeze on her heart… Thinking about him was difficult, by why did it hurt this bad suddenly…? If it was true, hopefully Stephanie didn’t get caught… Spending the night in the opposite dorm was against school regulations, and Hae Ri knew she didn’t care for the rules…

Pushing Stephanie out of her thoughts was easy, all she had to question was what she was going to do with the few hours before her class started… Usually she would go to the cafeteria for breakfast, why not? Her hands lazily fixed her hair into something somewhat presentable… Shewas just going to come back to shower so what was the point of tidying up now? Without even looking out the window she knew it was going to be a cold day, hopefully Stephanie would make it back to the dorms okay. She shrugged on her jacket and reached out to grab her favorite maroon scarf that she usually wore only to find it was missing.

“…That’s strange.” She pouted, reaching into her pockets for her wallet. It wasn’t that big a deal, she could make due without a scarf right? When her hand grabbed the fabric of her pocket, her morning became even stranger.

“That’s weird… Did I leave it in my purse?” Hae Ri questioned again, as if she had the answer. Digging through her other pockets just in case, she came to find her cell phone was missing as well. It was strange… usually she always kept at least her cell phone in her pockets.  Why was everything missing? Her habit of forgetting where she placed things was starting to become and annoying habit at that… A little huff escaped her lips as she walked over to grab her purse that hung over the end of her bed. She must have put them in her bag without realizing it last night, for whatever reason that was, she was unsure.

Her hand reached out but froze mid air. Her bag wasn’t hanging on the end of her bed.

“It’s not here.” Hae Ri’s heart dropped instantly. It wasn’t hanging at the end of her bed… Her legs folded under her weight and she fell to the floor, pulling up her bed covers to look under her bed. Could it have been pushed under it? No, only dust and a few stray socks were found under her bed. Immediately she stood up, running back to her desk. Could she have left it hanging on the chair? Under the desk? “It’s not here.” She repeated to herself, bewildered by the sudden disappearance of her possessions.

It didn’t matter that her cell phone and wallet were missing; those things were easily replaceable by all means. In her bag was the only thing she had left of memories with her family, her film camera. How could she have been so reckless with something so important? Did she really have no brain? Tears sprang to her eyes and threatened to fall, it was impossible. Never in her entire life had she let go of something that important…

“Where is it?” She asked herself. She yanked open and slammed shut every drawer or cupboard in the dorm, checking under her bed at least four more times, “Where is it?” Her voice became shaky as the tears blurred her vision even further, the knot in her stomach growing and making her nauseous. Hae Ri plopped onto her bed, grabbing onto her hair tightly and trying to sort out her thoughts. Did she leave it somewhere? How could she have been so stupid?

Her missing scarf, the cold weather outside.

Her missing bag and camera, the stars in the sky last night.

Reality hit Hae Ri like a baseball bat and tears finally fell, gliding over her cheeks slowly. Hoseok and YoonGi had her things. Most importantly they had her camera. The way she acted last night, what if they broke it for revenge? What if they threw it out their window and laughed about it? Or threw it out? Hae Ri’s hands became shaky as the anxiety in her chest rose to sky rocketing levels, and fast. What if they broke it? What was she going to do if they broke it? How was she going to get it back if it was safe in their hands…?

The door suddenly slammed against the wall, making Hae Ri jump to her feet. A stumbling Stephanie walked into the dorm, her hair slightly messy and her makeup smudged. Hae Ri had never seen her look so unkempt in the year she has known her.

“A-Are you okay?” Hae Ri’s thoughts immediately flooded with worry for her roommate, “Y-You look sick…”

“I went out drinking with YoonGi last night and I spent the night at his place.” Stephanie groaned, slowly making her way up the stairs, Hae Ri’s eyes following her every move. “I’m not going to classes today…” They went out drinking last night…? Maybe that’s why YoonGi was so upset the other night… His face was definitely red enough to have been intoxicated. That had to be it, right? But then… Why wasn’t Stephanie with him when she encountered YoonGi…

“I-I’m going to breakfast… Do you need anything?” Hae Ri fiddled nervously with her hands, at least she didn’t get in trouble for being at the boys dorm last night. But now she was hung over which wasn’t much better…

“I’m going to sleep, leave me alone.” Stephanie sighed, flopping down onto her bed and pulling the covers over her. She didn’t even care to change her clothes she was that ill.

“Are you sure…? I don’t mind running to town to get you medicine or anything…” Hae Ri bugged her. How could she be worrying about her camera when her roommate was feeling terrible? She still couldn’t deny the fear that made her uneasy. Her camera was more important to her than her own life and it was in someone else’s hands…

 

 

YoonGi rubbed his eyes, trying to wake himself up any way he could… This was the earliest he had ever voluntarily gotten up in his entire life. Why he ever signed up for any early morning class was beyond him… In his dazed state his hip ran into the corner of his desk, making him curse under his breath and roughly rub the sore spot.  There was no way he’d even be able to open his eyes this early in the morning… After managing to navigate his dorm, running into a few more pieces of furniture, he managed to bump into the bathroom door.

“Yah… Hoseok… Hurry up…!” YoonGi groaned, knocking on the door quickly. The shower was running loudly on the other side, causing him to slowly cross his legs as the urge to relieve himself became harder and harder to ignore. “Yah, Hoseok! Hurry the hell up!” He yelled, knocking a bit harder.

It felt like it took a millennium for Hoseok to finally open the door, look at the bastard. Dressed nicely and even did his hair into spikes… He couldn’t have done any of that out in the dorm? He had to make him wait like that?

“Hyung…” Hoseok looked at YoonGi with wide eyes. YoonGi’s hands had now made their way lower, gripping himself like a little kid that was about to piss his pants if he didn’t go that moment. Which was honestly about to happen if Hoseok didn’t move his .

“Why?” YoonGi whined, his jaw clenching with annoyance. He shot him the best death glare he could… After all, YoonGi was still upset about the events of last night. After running around in the cold for hours, he returned home to the little lounging on the couch watching TV…  Just thinking about it made his blood boil again with rage.

“This is the first time you’ve ever gotten up without me!” Hoseok gasped, a stupid smile spreading across his face. YoonGi snarled and faked to smack the kid before he slammed the bathroom door in his face. On the other side, he could hear him giggling like a lunatic. Soon that kid was going to get his handed to him, and YoonGi knew he was going to be the one to do it.

He quickly ran over to the toilet and yanked his pajama pants off in a hurry, relieving himself. Sleep came back when the steamy bathroom from the previous shower snuggled into him, relaxing him instantly. Hey, he couldn’t dose off at the toilet. With a shake of his head, sleep was gone for the moment. A moan echoed in the bathroom and he lazily stripped himself from the rest of his clothes.

“Yah, hyung!” Hoseok’s voice sounded from outside the bathroom.

“What…?” YoonGi groggily answered, ruffling his bed head and waddling towards the shower to start it. Couldn’t he just take a shower in peace? Or was quiet always impossible in Hoseok’s presence?

“Who’s bag is that by your desk?” Hoseok mumbled through the wooden door.

“Ah, it’s Ha…” His hand froze on the shower faucet. He couldn’t tell Hoseok about Hae Ri and their argument, or better called his fit. Hoseok would throw such a fit that he wouldn’t hear the end of for days… His teeth bit down on the inside of his lip, trying to come up with a lie quickly.

“It’s Stephanie’s.” YoonGi sighed, trying to sound as relaxed as he could. “She left it here on accident.” 

“It doesn’t look like Stephanie’s type of thing…”

Couldn’t Hoseok just take an answer and leave it? This kid was impossible… “H-Hae Ri got it for her, so she was being nice and used it.” He lied once more, turning on the shower to reheat the water. His hand hung into the bath, checking for the right temperature. When no response came from Hoseok, YoonGi figured he had dropped it and was preparing for his first class.

With a long sigh, YoonGi stepped under the hot water, letting it run over his body for a few minutes. With the relaxing massage of the water and heat, his eyelids began to droop and his head hung lower and lower slowly. No matter how hard he tried, the other night wouldn’t leave his thoughts. The scene came crawling back into his dreams, a movie playing inside his eyelids. The way Hae Ri stared up at the stars was the exact same way she looked to the cloudy sky on that snowy day they first met. Her eyes vacant, a dull expression, the way her arms hung loosely at her sides… The way he yelled at her, and the things he screamed at her.

Oh god, the things he yelled. His harsh words slowly morphed into black tar, leaking down his chin and making him gag on the horrible taste.  It was like tasting the smell of pollution and filth. Each word that drooled out would cut her like a blade, torn fabric, a cut against her cheek, another on her forehead… Small lines of blood pulled by gravity.  No matter what he threw at her, the look on her face never wavered, that same empty stare. Take that blank expression off your face, make any face other than that one…Please…

Didn’t your parents raise you with manners!?

A large hole punctured Hae Ri’s chest, tearing right through her ribcage and muscle tissue until he could see straight through it, like looking through a bloody window. She stumbled back at the impact, her eyes wide in horror… Her hand plunging into the wound, grabbing for her heart that wasn’t there. Blood trickled down her chin, before a waterfall of it poured out when she opened to speak.

What… did I do…?

YoonGi’s eyes flew open, his lungs desperately trying to in as much air as possible. Never in his entire life had he ever had a dream as graphic as that one. His hands shook slightly as he pushed his wet hair back, turning off the now luke-warm water. What the hell kind of nightmare was that…? He had to forget about that dream, so creepy…

Once cleaned and dressed, he stepped out of the bathroom to find Hoseok still in the dorm, sitting on the couch lazily flipping through TV channels while hugging a pillow into him. Squeezed between the pillow and his chest was a weird knit scarf, pushed into his face from his nose and below. It took not even a second to tell that Hoseok wasn’t himself. Never was he the type of person to be late for class; never was he a person to sit in front of a TV like this when he had somewhere to be.

“So…” YoonGi cleared his throat, leaning against the bathroom doorframe, “Are you going to tell me what happened last night…?”  He tried to start conversation, just looking at the poor kid made him feel uneasy… But confronting these kinds of things made YoonGi feel awkward, he couldn’t help but play with his nails nervously as he waited for an answer from Hoseok.

“Nothing happened.” Hoseok said, looking over at his senior with a curious face.

“Yah! Are you going to lie right to this hyung’s face?” YoonGi scoffed, picking up a pair of dirty sweatpants and throwing them at Hoseok. How dare he try to lie in front of him! What was YoonGi? Stupid? The rude kid had it coming to him, he swore.

Hoseok’s small playful smile slowly faded from his face, the light in his eyes dimming, “… I don’t know what happened.” He sighed, “Everything was going fine… Then she just got mad at me… We were talking about photography and her dad and then she suddenly left…”

YoonGi’s eyebrows rose in curiosity, something about last night had a similarity, “Did she yell at you or anything?”

“I’ve talked to her before last night… She isn’t the kind of person to get upset and yell at people… She runs and avoids problems. I think… I dunno.” He shrugged, shaking his head slightly. The TV had become uninteresting, and now only provided background sounds whenever they became quiet.

YoonGi nodded his head in understanding; Hoseok mentioned her dad and she got upset? He remembered how he mentioned her parents in his dream and the gross scene that played out afterwards. It added up, but what the equation equaled he didn’t know yet. It was a strange likeliness though…

“I don’t know what made her leave. We were talking about her dad and she said she was cold… I offered to walk her back but she didn’t want me to.”

“You’re gonna be late for class if you don’t leave now. You really gonna ruin your perfect streak?” YoonGi smiled, trying to change the subject for Hoseok. He didn’t need to feel bad the rest of the day, so it was best if YoonGi dropped the subject for him.

“Ah, yeah…” He smiled, throwing the pillow back on the couch and throwing the maroon scarf around his neck. Did Hoseok always own that…?

“Don’t worry, I’m sure she won’t stay mad for long.” YoonGi reassured him, patting his shoulder lightly as he left the dorm for his classes. When the door clicked shut YoonGi’s head started spinning with thoughts. There was no way her reactions about her parents were a coincidence, could something have… happened between them?

Without thinking about anything else, YoonGi jogged up the small staircase to the upper level and grabbed his phone off the charger, dialing Stephanie’s number. It rang, and rang, and rang, and rang… Was she ever going to pick up? Didn’t she have classes this morning?

Yeboseyo…?” She answered.

“Ah… You don’t sound that well.” YoonGi sighed, slightly worried by her groggy tone.

Yeah… I don’t feel well. I’m thinking about staying home from classes today.” She responded with a groan.

“Is Hae Ri there?” He asked, he had to bring the topic up somehow… And with Stephanie sick it was a perfect excuse.

Yah… You’re lucky I don’t feel well to scold you…” She tried raising her voice but it didn’t work well, saving YoonGi his hearing in the future, “But I think she just left for her classes a little while ago… Why?

“Well, if Hae Ri was there I couldn’t come over and take care of you, she’d have to do it.” He chuckled, kicking imaginary dirt bashfully, “Oh and speaking of Hae Ri… Things didn’t go so well with her and Hoseok last night…”

Oh? Wonder why… Hoseok probably got annoyed with her already.” She yawned.

“Actually… She got upset with him. He said he brought up her dad and she suddenly excused herself and ran off” He corrected her, filling her in. If he knew Stephanie, it didn’t matter if he told her everything… She wouldn’t confront Hae Ri about it because to be blunt, she didn’t care. “I was wondering, you know, for Hoseok’s sake… Did… Something happen? Between her parents and her?”

Hae Ri? Actually upset? Wow… I’d like to see that! But regarding her parents, I don’t know.” Of course she wouldn’t know… YoonGi slammed his palm onto his forehead for thinking his girlfriend would actually be helpful, “I don’t know anything about her parents, they never even call her. Not once. Her grandfather calls her a lot though, at least once a week. I always thought it was strange, what parents wouldn’t even check up on their own daughter?” Now that was information he could use, “She seems like a girl that keeps a lot of secrets. I’ve been her roommate since our first year together and I know nothing about her, not that I care to really. It’s easier the less I know about her.”

“I see…” YoonGi sighed, thinking over what Stephanie had gave him, “Well, it looks like I’m skipping classes again today. I’ll be over soon.” He smiled to himself; if Hoseok found out he was going to throw a fit again… But when did he ever keep his mouth shut? The kid was always in his business…

You? Take care of me? That’s even more unbelievable than Hae Ri actually getting angry. Okay… I’ll see you soon.” Stephanie giggled, hanging up her phone.

The smile still lingered on his face as YoonGi stared down at his phone and shoved it into his pocket. From the upper level he could see down to his desk, and Hae Ri’s bag laying next to it in a bad attempt to hide it from last night. Did she notice it was missing yet? If he was ever going to return it he might as well bring it with him now. YoonGi quickly padded down the stairs and walked over to his desk, picking the bag up from the floor and noticing how strangely heavy it was.

Wait, he can’t go through a girl’s purse…! A red shade spread over his cheeks, but seriously… Who would carry around something this heavy all day? Especially a girl, didn’t they always whine for guys to carry their stuff for them or something? Stephanie sure did…

With a quick breath he set it on his desk and plunged his hand into the soft patchwork fabric, his fingers grabbing onto something cold. It must have been what was weighing it down so much; quickly he pulled out an old-fashioned film camera from her bag. That’s right, she said she was a photography major over in the traditional arts building.

His hands handled it gently, turning it over to look at it. The first time he saw it was when she dropped it, but then he didn’t get a close look at it. It was an interesting piece of machinery… But who is this day and age used a film camera when digital ones made everything so much easier? Did they even sell film for these things anymore? They’re probably hard to come by…

“Pe… Pehn..Teksu…?” He attempted sounding out the English word printed on the front of the camera, was this an American brand? Or was it something that was found in Korea as well? He turned the camera upside down to examine every piece of it, noticing a name carved into the cool metal, “Hwang Moon Soo…?” He read it out loud.

This was his first time holding onto something so fragile and old, although from the height Hae Ri dropped it, it must be indestructible or something. How did it work? YoonGi knew he shouldn’t be playing with other people’s things… But by the time he realized it he had already popped the lens cap off and was twisting the lenses around on the camera.

Slowly he lifted the viewfinder up to his eye and scoffed, “Yah… This thing is dirty…” His fingers twisted the lenses again; watching at the image in the viewfinder get blurry, clear then blurry again. So this thing focused stuff? YoonGi’s fingers moved down the lens and suddenly twisted a different piece, a little slash mark on the viewfinder bobbed up and down with each twist of his wrist. How does Hae Ri control all this stuff with just one hand?

It was weird though; it felt like the camera fit perfectly in his hands.  Without taking it from his eye, he walked over to his window and viewed the scenery from the viewfinder. It wasn’t much different like he imagined it would be, unlike digital cameras who have a slight zoomed effect, it was like he was looking out the window like any other day. Just with a black box around everything… Using the camera, he scanned through the trees, over the pavement leading to the education buildings when someone jogging came into his viewfinder.

“Mmm? Who’s running around when it’s this early…” YoonGi mumbled, following the person with the camera. It was a female, her long wavy brown hair bounced as she hurried along. Without thinking much about it, he snapped a picture of the girl. He pulled the camera away from his eye and swallowed hard, “Hae Ri won’t mind… She won’t even notice she’s so stupid...” he mumbled, trying to calm himself over the fact he touched someone else’s belongings. Quickly he stuffed the camera back into Hae Ri’s bag and pulled it onto his shoulder, if he didn’t get to Stephanie’s dorm soon she’d throw a fit. 


I cannot believe this chapter took me two weeks to write...

For that I'm sorry. 

Also;

I'll be releasing a new fanfiction soon called 'Painting Pictures'

I don't want to spoil it but it will be another member of BTS so if you enjoy this fanfiction so far then please stay tuned for it's release.

It's currently in the workings right now, I am not sure when I will have the time to upload it though.