Chapter 3

Between Us

Later in the afternoon, Nayoung decided to pay a surprise visit to Sunghyo’s bakery. She brought a cup of vanilla ice cream, Sunghyo’s favorite. She was listening to her iPod shuffle, when a familiar figure blocked her way. Curiously, she lifted her head to see a pair of deep brown eyes staring intently at her. Yes, they belonged to none other than Ok Taecyeon.

“Where are you going to, Nay ah?” He asked while they were sitting in a park bench.

“I’m going to meet a friend. What about you, Sunbae?” Nayoung answered awkwardly, not used to be around Taecyeon without Taehyun by her side.

“Nothing. Just strolling around.” Then his expression changed. “Oh, are you in a rush?”

She chuckled, trying to calm Taecyeon down. “Don’t worry, I’m just dropping by to talk. No rush here. I could stay here as long as I want to.”

“Aw, really? I’ll feel bad if I held you back for some important meeting.”

“I swear its okay, Sunbae.” Nayoung paused for a moment. “What if we dropped by to her house then we could have a walk after? Her house is only a block away from here.”

Taecyeon agreed then they had simple conversation about their favorite things, school stuff, and whatever they had in mind. Beforelong, Sunghyo’s house was visible. At first Taecyeon insisted that he stayed outside while Nayoung came in and talk but she forced him nonetheless.

“Welcome to- OH! Nay ah!” Luckily its Sunghyo who’s on duty. Her eyes went straight to Taecyeon who stood quietly behind her best friend.

Nayoung immediately coughed and drag Taecyeon forward. “Uh yeah, Sunghyo ah, this is Taecyeon Sunbae.” Sunghyo shake Taecyeon’s hand quietly. “And Sunbae, this is Lee Sunghyo, my best friend.”

They stood there awkwardly before a customer came in and one of the bakery’s employee stood up to greet the new customer. Sunghyo immediately told them to sit on the corner to be more comfortable but Nayoung denied the offer. “I’m just going to give you something.”

“Whoaa. How do you know I’m craving for this? Thanks Nay ahhh!” Sunghyo jumped to hug her bestfriend for the vanilla ice cream while Taecyeon slowly backed away, giving them privacy.

“So Sunghyo ah, have you called Doojoon yet?” She suddenly asked.

“Doojoon? Who?”

“Oh please, Lee Sunghyo. You forget about it eh?”

She looked puzzled. “No, seriously Nay, I dont remember this Doojoon.”

“Lunch period! Hello? Check your phone-book and call him ASAP.” Nayoung pointed to Sunghyo’s phone on the table. “Okay, I’m going now.”

“WAIT!” Sunghyo yelled a little too loud, inviting unwanted attention from other customers. She bowed and apologized before turning back to Nayoung. “Are you going on a date with Taecyeon Sunbae?” She whispered to her best friend.

Nayoung’s eyes bulged while her hands flailed frantically. “NO! What makes you think so?” Red blush crept up her cheeks.

“REAAALLY~”

“Aish, jinjjayo! I gotta go now, Sunghyo ah. Call me later k? Bye!”

Sunghyo chased her best friend who ran away, making Taecyeon tagged along behind her. She’s happy to see Nayoung finally get a chance with her beloved eyecandy. “Yah! That girl!”

---

They decided to go to a simple cafe on the bright part of the Seoul. While they were in the middle of a conversation, Taecyeon’s phone rang loudly. Nayoung smiled and told him to answer the phone since it could be important.

“Are you sure its okay?” He asked while holding his phone in his hand. “This could be long.”

Nayoung nodded while smiling to show her permission. “Ofcourse its okay. Be sure to be here when we eat our dessert okay, Sunbae?” She joked.

“I’ll be right back, Nay ah.” Turning her attention back to her unfinished food, she didn’t realize that a pair of eyes were watching her moves.

Until a voice appeared behind her. “So, Nay ah, huh?” She could recognize that voice even if she went deaf. That special voice. “Pretty affectionate there.” The Almighty Kwon Taehyun.

“O-oppa..” Nayoung nearly dropped her spoon to the floor, yet thanks to her amazing reflexes it didnt happen. She held it tight instead.

“I thought the name Nay is only for ‘special people’. Is Ok Taecyeon one of the special ones?”

Silence took over the atmosphere. “...”

“Too many people have it won't make it special anymore, you know.” Taehyun slipped on Taecyeon’s seat before she realized it. “What ar-“

“Honey?” Someone walked over to their table.

“Jiwon ah, I’ll be right back. Wait on our table will you?” Taehyun gently said to a pretty girl who stood behind Nayoung. She turned around to see her face. ‘Oh, so this is the famous Choi Jiwon eh?’ Nayoung asked inside her mind.

Jiwon beamed a smile to her before shaking her head. Instead she sat on the chair beside her. “Who is this girl, Honey?”

“Annyeong, Unni. I’m Choi Nayoung.” She politely bowed her head down, showing some respect. After all, Jiwon was her Sunbae.

A few moments later the ywere already having a conversation, well, it's Jiwon who talked the most. Nayoung just nodded and answered shortly. Taehyun glumly stared at both of them, clearly not pleased with what happened between them. “Jiwon ah, lets get back to our table.” He stood up when he had enough.

“But Honey, I’m talking to her! She’s the best friend you talked about everyday right?”

“Please, Jiwon ah. Her date is coming.” Taehyun emphasized the word ‘date’ which made Nayoung’s eyes went wide with denial. But he paid no attention to her, just slowly dragging Jiwon to their table a few metresaway. “See you later, Nay ah.”

The way Taehyun said ‘Nay ah’ sent chill down her back. Its like the word had a special meaning behind the usual greeting. Yet she returned the saying with, “Later, Oppa.”

 A new message appeared. From: Taehyunnie Oppa.

 I’ll call you later. You better pick up or else..

The moment she read it, she knew it meant one thing. Trouble. But being the hardheaded girl Nayoung was, she quickly replied back. “Or else, what?”

“Aish, sorry for taking too long, Nay ah. Its a family thing. Have you eaten the dessert yet?” Ok Taecyeon suddenly appeared, shocking Nayoung who’s quietly writing a reply for Taehyun’s text. “Ah, I scared you, didnt I?”

Blushing, she put her phone back into her bag. Not bothering to read the next text Taehyun sent her. “No.”

“Are you okay? Your face is kinda red, I don’t want you to be sick.”

“Ah, its pretty cold in here. Can we order our dessert now, Sunbae?” The frustrated Nayoung changed the topic so it won't be discussed anymore. Taecyeon nodded understandingly while calling over the waitress to order the dessert.