Chapter 2

Between Us

“Nayyyy~” Taehyun ran to the waiting Nayoung on the bench inside the Theme Park. They already played half the games inside it, so they decided to take a break. He held a cone of ice cream in front of her.

“I just had a coke before this, Oppa. Are you trying to make me fat?!” She complained while taking the cone from him.

“Who cares if you get fat? Who are you trying to impress anyway? I know you love it, just eat.”

“Being fat wouldn’t make me feel better, you heartless Oppa!”

“But starving yourself like Sunghyo wouldn’t make you feel any better either, right?” He argued while wiping the ice cream stain on Nayoung’s cheek.

Hearing the harsh yet true words, she couldn’t even think of any good comeback so she kept eating her Ice Cream while watching the people walking around inside the Theme Park. Not long after that they lined up for the ferris wheel ride.

“Ew Oppa, this is sooo not cool! I don’t want to waste time on this boring ride!” Nayoung said, referring to the long line-up for the The Ferris Wheel.

Before Taehyun could answer her, someone yelled from the crowd. The familiar voice made Nayoung’s eyes twinkled with excitement. Its none other than the infamous Ok Taecyeon. “Hey Taehyun, buddy! What are you doing here?”

“Oh, hello Taec. Just having fun with-“ Taehyun were answering his question when he cut it again.

“Whoa, who’s this girl, pal? I think she’s our hoobae if I’m not mistaken. Are you and Jiwon done? Did you dump her for this girl here?” Taecyeon’s numerous questions pissed him to no end but Taehyun was a gentleman who kept his composure well. But his rolling-eye response couldn’t be helped either.

“Annyeong, Sunbae. I’m Taehyun Oppa’s friend, Choi-“ Maybe Taecyeon had a habit of cutting people’s sentences, cause he never let anybody finish their sentence.

“Nayoung right?” She nearly squealed in delight when her name was mentioned by her beloved eye-candy, it felt like heaven.

“Yeah, I’m Choi Nayoung. Nice to meet you, Sunbae!” Nayoung smiled cheerfully.

But the topic went back to Taehyun’s non-really-existent girlfriend, Choi Jiwon, which he often ditched for both Nayoung and Sunghyo’s sake. “What about your girl, eh buddy? And they both have the same last name, are you sure they’re not related? Aw man, you’re so cruel if you cheated on a girl with her own cousin!”

“Thanks for worrying but Jiwon and I still have a good relationship. Also I don’t think they know each other or are even related. If having the same last name makes people related, then I’m related to the famous Kwon Sangwoo, huh?” Finally Taehyun got the chance to speak and explained things to the talkative Taecyeon. “So, what are YOU doing here alone?”

“Oh, my uncle gave me a free ticket since he works here but I guess it gets pretty boring if you just play by yourself. Hey, what if I joined you guys?”

Nayoung immediately yelled. “Of course it would be great, Sunbae! Actually we planned to go here with our friend but she can’t come.”

“Hmm…” Taehyun took time to think, but he could never resist Nayoung’s puppy eyes which begging him ‘OPPA PLEASEEE!’. He sighed before giving in. “I think it would be nice.”

---

A few days later on the cafeteria the three of them were chattering away while eating their lunch. Sunghyo didn’t seem to feel bad about the Theme Park trip since Nayoung told her about the meeting with this Taecyeon guy.

“He bought me cotton candies! Oh my gosh, Sunghyo ah that’s so sweet riiiight?” She spazzed making Taehyun rolled his eyes at them.

“Aww really? How does he know you love those things?” Sunghyo asked, happy for her friend.

But being the proud man he was, Taehyun couldn’t stand it and decide to interrupt. “Oh come on Nay ah, it’s not a big deal. I bought you ice creams, cokes and popcorns!”

“No, cotton candy is the best! I love it the most  among any other sweets.” Nayoung turned her head towards Taehyun before continuing her spazz with Sunghyo. “And guess what? He won a teddy bear for meeeee!”

“Oh my God! What a perfect guy!” Sunghyo and Nayoung squealed at the same time, making Taehyun’s face reddening with anger and jealousy. “I can do it too, you know.” He mumbled.

Nayoung and Sunghyo stopped their fangirling session and shot an annoyed look at him. As expected, the target man looked away and busied himself by playing origami with tissue.

“Pssh he is so full of himself.”

“He will give us duck instead of teddy bear, Nay ah. Hahahahaha.”

It was a public secret that the almighty Kwon Taehyun had a strange in duck. Everyone in the school knew that.

The girls were laughing so hysterically and didn’t realize that the whole canteen was looking at them as if they were aliens. What about Taehyun? Well, he had moved to the nearby table and put his I-don’t-know-anything face. It was Nayoung who regained her self-awareness first. She elbowed Sunghyo right on her waist and effectively stopped her laughter.

“Ahh, what was that for?” Sunghyo asked, rubbing her waist.

Nayoung put a fake smile on her face, still aware of the fact that everyone was looking at them, and said to Sunghyo through her gritted teeth, “Everyone is looking at us, you babo.”

“Oh..” Sunghyo turned her head sheepishly, before returning her gaze back to Nayoung, “Why didn’t you tell me earlier? Gosh, I’m so embarrassed. What should I do? Huhu I wish the earth would just swallow me right now. Goshhh …”

“Lee Sunghyo. Psshh.” Nayoung moved forward, covering Sunghyo’s mouth with her palms. “Just stop it. Blame your own low level of self-awareness. If I knew earlier, I would’ve told you too okay.”

Suddenly, a familiar male voice interrupted them. “Yeah. Nay is right, Sunghyo. Your self-awareness level is almost non-existent. Haha..”

The poor girl glared at Taehyun, causing his roaring laughter to stop, “Yahh you two, stop ganging up against me! How come my self-awareness level is almost non-existent, anyway?”

Hearing this question, Taehyun shook his head disbelievingly while Nayoung just shrugged her shoulder.

“Okay, do you see that guy over there? Yes, the one wearing white jacket. He has been watching you since that ‘duck incident’ and not paying attention to anything else until now. Tell me Sunghyo ah, do you notice that?”

Sunghyo didn’t answer her question; instead she looked down to the table and mumbled incoherently, “Does he really look at me? Not at someone behind us?”

“There’s no one behind us.”

“Someone in front of us?”

“They’re all boys.”

“Or maybe he looks at you?”

“Don’t be stupid, Sunghyo ah! Look, he’s on the way to our table. Fix your bangs. NOW.”

Slowly, Sunghyo lifted her head, just in perfect time to meet that guy’s eyes. It was dark and mesmerizing. As the guy came closer, Sunghyo swore she could feel Taehyun held his breath. But when she looked at him, he turned his face away, pretending that he didn’t care.

In no time, the guy had taken a seat in front of her. And somehow the self-awareness level of hers increased. How her bangs seemed so asymmetrical, her tiny acne on her chin seemed bigger; her hair seemed like a bird’s nest. But all those thoughts disappeared when she heard him calling her.

“Hey beautiful.”

She stuttered, suddenly losing her vocabularies. Not sure what to do, she just nodded and waited for the guy to make his next move.

“You know who I am, right?” He asked, confidence was clearly shown in his voice.

His face soon turned dark after he heard Sunghyo bluntly answered, “No.”

“Are you sure? You don’t know me?”

“No, I don’t know you.”

“Are you freaking sure?”

“YES.” She let out an annoyed sigh. “Gosh, why would I lie to you anyway?”

He shook his head in disbelief, “Do you live under a rock or something?”

“Of course no. I live in my house with my parents and my older brother.” She answered naively.

Hearing her best friend’s answer, Nayoung couldn’t help but kick her right foot. Ignoring Sunghyo’s sound of protest, she put an apologetic smile on her face and said, “Pardon this stupid friend of mine, Yoon Doojoon-shi. She’s in advanced class, so basically she only has a little time to know who’s who here.”

“So to make it short- yes, she does live under a rock with Pascal and Pythagoras accompanying her.” Taehyun added with a wide grin plastered across his face.

Slapping the back of his head, she turned to Nayoung and whispered, “Who is this Yoon Doojoon guy?”

Before Nayoung could answer her, Doojoon already said, “Why don’t we go out, Sunghyo? To see who this Yoon Doojoon guy is.”

“Umm.. Give me some times, okay? I mean, I just knew you and…”

“She’ll call you.” Grabbing Sunghyo’s phone, Nayoung stuffed it into Doojoon’s palm. “Just type down your number.”

Doojoon smirked as he did what Nayoung had told him. Handing her phone back, he said, “I rarely give my number willingly to girls. They have to beg me; some even kneel down on their knees. So consider yourself lucky.” He paused as his hands ruffled Sunghyo’s hair softly. “See you soon, Lee Sunghyo.”

After finished saying that, he walked back to his table, leaving Sunghyo with hanging open and dumbfounded. It was Taehyun who broke the silence first.

“Don’t go Sunghyo-ah. He is obviously a player. Did you see…? “ His words got cut off by Nayoung shooting him a death glare, telling him to shut up. But he kept on talking, “Did you see how he looked at you? It was as if you were his prey or something like that. Nasty, isn’t it? So if you need my advice, don’t go.”

Sunghyo looked completely puzzled, “But he seemed nice..” She turned to look at Nayoung. “What should I do?”

“Do as what your heart tells you to do. If you want to go, go. If you don’t want to go, then don’t. But as your best girlfriend- ” She emphasized the word ‘girl’, making Sunghyo stifled a laugh. “I suggest you to take this chance. Try going out with him. Me and this fool will be watching you from afar; so if there’s something bad going on, we will be there to save you.”

“Yahhh who said I will go with you? And what did you call me? I dare you to repeat those words.. Yahhh you, Choi Nayoung, Lee Sunghyo don’t leave me. You haven’t paid yet. How dare you two.. Aissshh!!!”

 

Author's Note:

hehehe I wanted to write a note on the first chapter but I forgot so I'm gonna write it here okay? :D I guess some of you are wondering why I have those tags huh? Jjajjan~ They're here now. Well, Joon would appear later so please bear with me~ I love comments so keep those coming okay? see ya soon :D