Chapter 1

Between Us

“Sunghyo ahhh!” Nayoung waved her hand excitedly to her friend from the corridor. Her class was dismissed earlier than Sunghyo’s so she decided to go meet her best friend in front of the class.

“Hey Nay! How come that your classes seem so short that you managed to get here first? I’m so envious. Maybe I should’ve taken the same classes as you.”

“No! no! no! how could the almighty Sunghyo take easy classes like me? The Straight A-s Lee Sunghyo? Pssh, not in anybody’s dream!” She said jokingly while walking to the cafeteria and finding seats for the three of them.

“Stop exaggerating, Nay! Where’s Oppa, btw?” Sunghyo dropped her books on the seat next to her.

“Hmm, I don’t know. Maybe he got held back by his teacher hahaha.”

“Why did the teacher do that anyway? It’s not like he did anything bad, ugh. Poor Oppa!”

Not long after that a boy threw his bag carelessly onto the table in front of them and grinned bashfully at the two girls, making them squeal with delight. “OPPA!”

“Aigoo, so excited to meet me eh, girls?” His gorgeous dimples were showing.

Nayoung just quietly ate her food while Sunghyo nodded cutely. Taehyun chuckled before standing up again to buy his lunch. After a few minutes, Sunghyo tagged along saying that she’ll help Taehyun with his food. ‘It’s not like Oppa is a weakling who can’t carry his own food .’ Nayoung said to herself.

“And I was like, okay Miss, will do. Can’t you believ-“  Sunghyo  was in the middle of her sentences when she suddenly stopped upon seeing Taehyun throw an apple pie on the table.

Looking up from her nearly finished lunch, Nayoung held up the package.

“What? I don’t like sweet things and Sunghyo is on a diet, remember?” Taehyun explained while sitting down. “Why would I specially buy it for you? Psssh, you’re so full of yourself Choi Nayoung!”

“Why bother spending money on something that only I can eat?” she pointed to the price tag.

“Whatever. It’s okay if you don’t want it. You know it’s not good to waste food since there are other people who are dying of hunger and-”

“FINE OPPA, I’ll eat this. Happy?!”

---

That day they promised to go together to the new Theme Park in our town. But after 30 minutes went by from the meeting time, Sunghyo was still nowhere to be seen.

“Where is this girl, Lee Sunghyo? I specifically said 9 am in front of the station, right Oppa?!”  Nayoung wailed while waiting impatiently.

“Yes and you kept texting us about it, even at 6 am in the morning. Hell, why did you even wake up that early?” He tried to calm his annoyed best friend down.

“I’m just excited, okay!  Oh I would really choke her when she gets here!”

“She’ll be here. I know. Just be quiet so you don’t waste your energy, okay?”

“But its very cold just standing outs-MPHFFF!” A coat was thrown over her tiny body which stopped her  whines. Not for long though. “OPPA I COULD GE-“ yet her sentence was cut again due to her phone ringing.

“Nay ahhhh!” A voice squeaked from the other side of the line and it sounded so desperate.

“I don’t accept any apologies before you get here, Sunghyo yah! At which stop you’re now?” Nayoung asked referring to the bus stop around their neighborhood.

“I’m not coming.”

“EHH?! You’re not kidding right? You’re not afraid of my wrath, huh?” She suddenly yelled, shocking the sleepy Taehyun who nearly stumbled from the chair.

“No, I mean I can’t come. You know how my mom is. There’s an emergency in my store so I definitely had to help her or else…” Sunghyo sounded like she could breakdown any second. Sunghyo was ten times more excited than Nayoung about this trip. Now she couldn’t  help but to feel bad about her best friend’s situation.

Seeing Nayoung’s long face, Taehyun tapped her shoulder then mouthed to her, ‘is everything okay?’ which she responded to with a big no gesture using her free hand.

“Is it really that bad? I promise I’ll help you in the store after we go to the Theme Park, okay Sunghyo yah?” Nayoung tried to change the situation, yet it couldn’tbe helped.

“I don’t think so, Nay. Its very chaotic in my store, I think it got robbed or something.”

“OH MY GOSH?! ROBBED?! This is very serious, Sunghyo ah. I’ll be there in a sec with Oppa, okay?”

After she hung up she immediately dragged the confused Taehyun into a bus towards Sunghyo’s house. On the way there she explained the whole thing to him, including the last part about their best friend. But when they reached Sunghyo’s house, Taehyun told her to stay outside and wait for him.

“But Oppa! I want to see Sunghyo! What if she’s injured?!” She wailed and Taehyun had to put his fingers on to shut her up.

“You talked to her on the phone, right? That means she’s okay. I am going to come inside to talk to her for a minute. There’s nothing we can do now, Nay ah. Just wait here.”

“Why won’t you let me talk to her too? I need to see her, Oppa!”

“Please, Nayoung. We can’t really do anything here. I am just going to check on her okay?”

“Fine. Don’t take too long or I’ll barge in!” She threatened and Taehyun nodded at her. It’s been five minutes since he went in,  and she’s ready to come in when suddenly he appeared on the doorstep.

“How is she Oppa? Is she okay? What about her family? Are you sure she doesn’t need to see me or talk to me? Ah, poor dear Sunghyo. She must be pretty shocked about this accident. Aww, I’m so sad for her huhuhu. ” Nayoung questioned Taehyun – all of them remained unanswered.

“Oppa! Do you even hear me?” She yelled to the quiet man beside her.

“Nay ah, what if we go to play on the theme park?” he finally spoke after a few moments of creepy silence. The shocked Nayoung couldn’t even open to respond. “Well, Sunghyo told me that we should just go without her. She doesn’t want to be a burden to us she said.”

“Are you sure, Oppa? Is that what Sunghyo really wants?”

“Yeah. We know better than to make her feel worse. Maybe we should go and have fun so Sunghyo wouldn’t be that sad anymore.” Taehyun tried hard to convince the stubborn Nayoung.

It didn’t take long for her to give in, “Okay.”