Chapter 1 – Facade

Ms.I-Don't-Believe-In-MYTHS

 

 

          “And so the vampire bites the girl’s neck to save her dying life, he would not take it if the girl he loves so deeply would die. Kyaa! So romantic, isn’t it?” Hye Jin squealed while clasping both her hands and started zoning out with goo golly eyes.

 

          I could imagine floating hearts and white shimmering light around her making my eye twitch with irritation but I had to keep my cool. I let out a dry laugh and rolled my eyes.

 

          “Seriously? Vampires? How old are you?” I mockingly asked in a low voice her making her snap out of her imaginary world and glared at me.

 

          “Why are you so against fictional characters?” She pouted.

 

          I looked around the cafeteria to see if anyone were paying attention to us, and then suddenly I saw a boy looking at me so I smiled at him and looked back at Hye Jin without breaking my smile.

 

          “Wow, your fake smile is really impressive. You have to teach me that.” She clicked her tongue and continued eating.

 

          “Whatever,” I muttered as low as possible so no one could hear.

 

          I shot her a knowing look making her shut up and continued eating.

 

          Park Mae Rin, that’s the name. Playing little Miss Perfect is my game. Being in a house full of adults, your every move is corrected. I was trained by my grandmother to show no sign of bad and ill-mannered attitude, while my aunt teaching me the arts of being a lady; showing the works—the cleaning, the cooking, and whatever you can think of.

 

          It’s hard being in my shoes, I can’t be myself to anyone. Trying being the Vice-President of the school and also being a role model—straight A’s, clean school record and favored by most teachers. They all think I’m all sugar, spice and everything nice, which created the sweet perfect little girl.

 

          Oh brother, the only person I can be myself is with Hye Jin… when it’s just the two of us.

 

          Jung Hye Jin, the girl who’s full of aegyo, all girly and a bit bipolar. Bipolar because you’d see her all happy and giddy in a minute and then suddenly turned into a grumpy old troll. It’s hard keeping up with her; you can’t predict when her moodiness will strike. But I admire her; she can speak what she wants to say, she can do what ever she wants to do without being criticize… well maybe because she can whoop- someone that is.

 

          She’s freer than I am. I have to keep this façade on for my family. It’s like I have an electric leash; with one wrong move and I’ll get electrocuted.

 

          Hye Jin knows my true personality and knows everything about me especially my total dislike for myths (e.g. fairytales, folktales, fiction stories…etc.) but she doesn’t really know why I dislike them.

 

          “So back to my question, why do you hate myths?” She pointed her fork at me making me tap her wrist and shook my head left to right with a disapproving look.

 

          “Haven’t anyone told you it’s rude and dangerous to point sharp objects at someone?” I clicked my tongue but showed a face of playfulness but I know she could see the irritation deep inside my eyes.

 

          “Okay, okay… so why?”

 

          “Hey, didn’t you say you have to go to the freshmen building to talk to your brother or something?” I smiled at her.

 

          “Really wipe that smile around me, it’s creepy and stop dodging my question… I’ll get you to spill the beans later on.” I just shrugged at her. She stood up picking up her tray and so did I, and dumped it near the trash bin where there’s a table for used trays and then we started heading out the cafeteria towards the freshmen building which was located at the west wing of the school.

 

          As the both of us walked through the hallways of the freshmen, students looked at me and bowed a little; in return I’d return a bow with a smile and tried talking to them. Any person would feel their cheeks hurting for smiling non-stop but for me, I’d grown used to it. I already feel numb.

 

          /Le sigh/

 

          From the opposite hallway both of us heard laughter and shouts from a group of students. I heard my friend sigh and shook her head. We remained standing in the middle of the hallways as the noisy bunch came into view.

 

          A boy was ahead from the rest of his friends running while looking back at them as he let out a mocking laugh. The rest stopped and shouted, “YAH! Look out!” But the boy just stuck his tongue out and run faster and when he finally turned in front he saw us. With wide eyes, he tried stopping himself only to collide with Hye Jin with an ‘ouff’.

 

          “Are you alright?” I reached both of my hands for the two of them.

 

          “Ah! Park Mae Rin Sunbae-nim! I’m really sorry!” The boy apologized to me over and over again. I just giggled thinking how cute was this child.

 

          “Yah! You apologize to my friend but to me?!” Hye Jin gasped and looked baffled with mouth gaped open.

 

          The boy stopped apologizing to me and looked at Hye Jin with an eyebrow raised and then scoffed while turning away, “Why would I apologize to a Psycho-pig?”

 

          “What did you say you little midget?!” Hye Jin head lock the boy and started cursing under her breath which the three of us could still hear.

 

          “Ack’ I’m gonna tell mom, you’ve been cursing~” He threatened while flailing his arms around and tried getting free from Hye Jin’s grip.

 

          I just stifled a soft laugh while covering my mouth with my hand and looked at the brother-sister moment. They cleared their throats and straightened themselves and looked at me. They talked about something, which clearing I don’t have any business with so I didn’t pay attention.

 

          After the talk we were going to go back to our building us to head to class.

 

          “See you later, Mae Rin-sunbae~” Hyun Jun waved at me and smiled making his eyes looked like a crescent moon making smile back and patted his head.

 

          “Yah, how about me?” Hye Jin acted hurt while pointing to herself.

 

          “Whatever, big-.” Hyun Jun’s smile faded and turn his head to the side so we couldn’t see his face but I clearly saw the corner of his lips curving up and waved his hand signaling her to go away already.

 

          After that we headed back to our building and like at the students from the hallway from the freshmen building, the same year level as I am; bowed at me and I nodded with a smile.

 

          “Seriously I don’t know if I should laugh you’re in pain deep down or feel bad.” Hye Jin joked making me shot her a look.

 

          “Okay the latter it is!” She yelled and skipped ahead of me.

 

          I giggled softly and looked at her.

 

          /Le sigh/

 

          Why can’t I be like her; able to be herself?

 

=========================================================

TADAH! 1st CHAPTER!

BOOM!

FIREWORKS!

 

But... Is it a good start?

COMMENTs are appreciated! ^^

 

GOMAWO~!♥

CHUU~