Love... Goodbye

Goodbye Summer

The breeze... What a beautiful weather it is today. I still remember what it felt like the first time I've experienced this. It was all the way back in high school. When I met him, the most precious man in my life. Though I'm an adult now, I can never forget that day--the very moment I met my fiancee. Not as a friend but a lover. Many trials and tribulations had occurred. Who'd knew that he was black pearl? Throughout my 4 years in high school, it was a crazy journey with him. My fiancee was in the shadows this entire time. Admittedly, he is a silly boy. The silliest one of them all.

And there he comes, the silly boy that protected me in secret for 4 whole years. We've been dating for 3 years now. It wasn't long till he proposed. He and I are both settled with our own jobs. He has his music career and I have mine in the medical field. An odd combination but we didn't care. And I, never regretted my decision to say "yes". Love moves in the most mysterious ways.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I like that, your long, straight hair.
Your breathtaking neck when you tie a ponytail and the strands that fall out.

- Black Pearl"

 

Black Pearl? Who could that be? It was my first year in high school and after 3 months, I began to receive these weird letters from a mysterious man dubbed as Black Pearl. Just then, while walking down the hallways, here comes the tall yet coldest man that has ever existed; Kris. However, who I saw next shattered my heart into a million pieces. Much like broken glass pieces. It was his girlfriend; Jessica. Kris has always been by her side whenever he's not in the classroom.

They were embracing each other's hand, talking and gazing into each other's eyes. Oh how I wished that was me. That man was really... important to me. He is my best friend. Fun fact is that I'm in love with my best friend. The bell rang which meant that I needed to assemble in class. Kris took her bag and voluntarily carried it for her, holding her hand before heading back to their classroom. The moment the both of them looked up, Kris took a good look at me. My heart began to accelerate.

"Oh, Ara. How long had you been there? You should've at least said hi or something. By the way, we should get going if you don't want to be late," he grinned as they made their way. 

As they went past me, I noticed a little pout forming from Jessica. I'm not really sure why but I'm not really fond of Jessica. Jealous? Envy? Maybe. But what right do I have? None at all. I've always been and always will be just his best friend. I sloppily made my way towards my classroom when I got caught into a headlock, "it's been a while, chinnie!!"

Gosh I hate that nickname but it has followed me as long as Jongin goes to the same school as me. Unnie because he feels that my eyes were rather small and people mistaken me for being Chinese. In comparison, his eyes were just as small as mine. But I shrugged and took his hand off. He gave me the look as we head our way into the classroom. Jongin and I have been great friends since elementary school. However, we've never referred to each other as best friends because we are more of close friends. Although, sometimes I wished I would be something more to Kris. But then again, I'm a freshman, why would he look at me that way? I'll always be his little 'sister.'

"Kris occupying your mind again?" Jongin enquired.

"Hmmm? Oh, umm no... Just worried about our math test coming up soon," I avoided. I didn't really like the fact that I have to talk about Kris, it's a subject I wanted to avoid at all costs. However, only Jongin knows about this. I hate how that guy manages to get information out of me somehow.

"Oh Ara,  I know it's about him. You can't hide it from me. C'mon, what's wrong?" Jongin pleaded but I shrugged. I really dislike talking about him. It's utterly uncomfortable.

"It can't be about that test cause you can ace a test without even studying. I know that for a matter of fact. You've basically topped the class for a few consecutive tests."

"Okay okay! It's him. Are you happy?" I rolled my eyes in annoyance. The thought that Kris is taken annoys me a lot as I may just get in the way of their relationship. Who know if I might actually be the reason for their arguements. Besides, they're a lovely couple. It's been probably about 2 years now. That's a really long relationship for someone at my age. That's why to have him notice someone like me would be unlikely because Jessica and him love each other oh so dearly. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"More than a pretty actress
More than a skinny model
I like your bright smile
More than anyone in this world
More than any girl 
You're the prettiest to me
- Black Pearl"

Another note from Black Pearl. This time it was able to make me blush. It's definitely someone from this school. Who could it be though? This person has a unique handwriting though and a bunch of post-its (because he would paste them on my locker). He has a great sense in rhymes. I saw Kris approaching me, alone. Nudging my side, "hey, Ara. What are you doing?"

"Nothing much," lies, I was just hiding Black Pearl's note from him. Just then, Jongin approaches us whilst drinking on a bottle of yoghurt. Almost immediately, I took the yoghurt out of his grasp and drank it. He blinked numerous times before shrugging. 

"So why are you alone today? Where's Jessica unnie?" Kris remained silent. Something's up with his expression, I know it so well. He seems bothered. But by what?

"Can't I hang out with my lovely best friend?" he grinned. Boy, did that stopped my heart for a second. Many of my friends must think I'm crazy for being in love with a man that has a girlfriend. And many times, I have that urge to do something about it... but as a friend, I chose to just let my feelings lay low. I will keep it only to myself and maybe, well, Jongin. The bell rang and Kris gladly made his way towards Jessica. Although, she seems stagnant by the situation. I turned around and sloppily made my way back to the classroom. Hung my head, faced down, my heart shattered like glass. Physical pain can't be compared to emotional pain. My pain is beyond words can ever describe. 

Just then, I felt a thump from my back. I was snapped out of my thoughts. I felt Jongin's breath and it brought shivers down my spine. I turned to face him, only realising that someone was hugging me from the back. I turned to look at the culprit; it was none other than Jongin. He said, softly, "hey, little one. Cheer up. Don't be too disheartened. There are plenty of other guys crazy for you, you just don't realise it yet cause you're so into Kris. Like that guy who keeps leaving notes on your locker. I hear that someone keeps leaving small notes on your locker, naming himself Black Pearl," he grinned.

Eh? How does he know? I've never told him anything about that. But then again, Jongin always comes by my locker to look for me. Sometimes I really don't get him. Why is such a gentle man such as him still single? I've always seen my classmates drooling over him. Could he be gay? Impossible. But why wouldn't he court any of his pursuers?

"C'mon, chinnie. We'll be late for class," just then he loosened the hug and took my hand. Dragging me to my classroom, I freed myself from his grasp before anyone notices. Another rumor about me would only cause a series of unfortunate events. I don't want to experience such a tragedy ever again. Moreover, let it get in the way of my studies. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that night, I reached home only to find it eerily empty. Creeping the freak out of me, I received an incoming call. And to my surprise. It was from the last person I'd expect to receive from, "hey." I picked up the phone. Though, somehow, I wished that I hadn't cause the next thing I knew; I heard sobs. Something tells me that he's upset. But about what? Why is he crying through the phone? I wish I could grab my jacket and leave right now only to meet him at his doorstep. But Lord knows that security at his place is rather tight and no visitors are allowed in at this time. Joonmyun, my older brother, would help me sneak out but Joonhee, my younger brother, would probably betray me and indiscreetly tell it to my parents. Joonmyun would understand my situation even if Kris and him don't really see eye-to-eye. 

"Hey, what's up?" I asked sympathetically. Though my voice was mellow, it was rather shaky. I was nervous and frightened to listen to what I'm about to hear next. I hate to see him like that, especially right now. I wouldn't know how to maintain my posture if I were to see him right now.

"She-She hasn't contacted me for the past week. Earlier today, she actually didn't even glance nor talked to me. Something's up, I didn't do anything to upset her. At least I know I didn't. Was it something wrong that I did?" he cried and cried. There is so much that I wanted to say to him. Yet there's so many reasons why I shouldn't. I didn't know what's the best course of action to take from this point on. It sounded like they broke up but it's not affirmative yet.

The next day, Kris appeared right in front of me. He looked like he spent the entire day moping because the bags under his eyes were visible. I gazed into his eyes; teemed with concern. He came to school earlier than he normally would. As I saw him approaching, I grabbed Black Pearl's note and quickly hid it from Kris. I'm sorry, Black Pearl. Whoever you are, a friend needs me right now. Next thing I knew, I approached Kris as quickly as I could. Cupping his face I took a good look at him, "Your face looks horrible." He scoffed as I stated the obvious, I know. I couldn't help it. He needs a friend, I feel like I need to do something in order to get his smile back. As much as I dislike her very very much, I have to do something. I want to know how she feels. What is her stand in this? I cannot be selfish at this moment. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Oh my gosh, Ara! This is your chance! The heaven gates are opening up for you. You can finally make your move and get him. Never let him go! You've been clearly into him the entire time. Besides, if I were Kris and I knew that you're head over heels for me, I would definitely leave Jessica. You deserve him more than that unnie! She doesn't even appreciate him like you do. I know, her sister would vent her anger over her sister's relationship on me. Why can't you just see that?" Sulli blurted.

"Are you crazy? Why would she do that? They didn't even called quits yet. Maybe there are just some things that they need to ammend. Maybe this is just another phase they need to overcome. If it's me, I wouldn't anyone making a move on me whilst my girlfriend is giving me the cold shoulder. Besides Ara, I would look elsewhere instead of chaing someone with a girlfriend," Jongin argued. 

He's right. Why should I risk my friendship to a relationship that I can't really guarantee will happen? It's inhumane and people may doubt my personality. I know how it feels like to be cheated on. It was a terrible experience to be cheated on by the same person not once but thrice. It hurt the first time. How much painful was it on the third? I'm not willing to commit such crime. "Aww, Jongin. You're such a sweet guy," I complimented.

"Really? So can I court you?" Jongin teased, "ummm... no. I think we're better off as friends." I scoffed. I don't want to put our friendship in jeopardy. Sulli, however, is frustrated with the both of us and decides to walk off. Sometimes I just don't understand her. I can't even remember when and why did I befriended her.

"Hey, you know what's the right thing to do. Don't worry. I'm always here for you. Even if I may not appear right in front of you, I've got your back, always," just then Jongin opened his arms wide. I moved into the gentle hug that I needed really badly.

"Oh right! The note! I almost forgot," I realised that I haven't read Black Pearl's note. Fishing out the little note in my right pocket whilst Jongin's arm is still wrapped around my shoulder. We looked at the note together.

"why don't you know me, who is in front of you, you don't even know my heart, only gazing at you and waiting

When you fall I'll hold onto you, I'll help you from a distance why. Let me say

I don't like when you meet other people, so just meet one, okay

I'm here, when you date that person, meet that person, trust in me let me be the one

- Black Pearl"

Who is this? Seriously? I'm getting more and more frustrated. Who is he? Is he someone that I know? I turned to look at Jongin who was still next to me. Lazily, I laid my head onto his shoulder. I felt a muscle moved. Taking a glance at Jongin, I noticed a small grin on his cheek. Eventually I drifted off to wonder land.

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

The next month, Kris and Jessica's cold war were still ongoing. I, on the other hand, chose to let it go. It's something between the two of them to solve. What right do I have to interfere? It was a bright morning. The sunlight glimmers through the curtains as I slowly open my eyes. I got up to get ready for school. As I walk along the path, en route to the bus stop. I noticed a familiar silhouette as I got closer, my heart thumps a beat faster. It was Kris. To my surprise, he grinned back at me. It felt as though he was waiting for me but I thought otherwise. Has the storm finally calmed down? It's been a while since I saw that grin again. I felt at ease once again. However, he still seemed bothered by something. I can see it in his eyes. My brows furrowed hopefully he'd get the signal and tell me something but he just shrugged and had his arm around my shoulder instinctively. I took a sharp breath as my eyes widened at the sudden contact, "Y-Ya! What do you think you're doing?" I tried to get off of his grasp but he remained and grinned at me. Thank goodness the neighbourhood is empty at the moment. Otherwise, they won't let this incident pass.

 

"Heh. Let's go to school together," I frowned, "C'mon~ we're friends, aren't we?" Friends, the label that I got to hate a lot. Just then, our bus arrived and we settled down to the nearest pair of seats available. My heart began to accelerate. It may not literally be like it but metaphorically, it was as fast as the speed of light. That was the feeling that Kris would always give me. It was like I was going to have a heart attack soon and only he is able to have that kind of effect on me. 

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

"Hey, are you free after school today?" Kris inquired as I was savaging my hamburger. 

 

Nom nom nom. "I don't think so. What's up?" I answered with a full mouth. Just then, Kris had his right hand cupped onto my face. Rubbing onto the corner of my lips as we gased into each other's eyes. My heart continues to accelerate as he replied, "You've got sauce on the corner of your lips." He chuckled at my ridiculousness. Gosh, I've made a complete fool of myself in front of him! That was so embarrasssing! Why do I have this bad habit? I pouted as I looked down onto my burger, carefully taking a bite.

 

"Hey, why did you stop? It was cute. Hehehe. Seeing you eat like that. It's really... cute," he grinned at me. I couldn't stop looking at him. It felt like my world just stopped right in front of me. We headed down the hallways but something is bothering me, why did he asked if I'm free after school. He knows that I have absolutely nothing to do after school. So what was the purpose of asking? 

 

Just then, we remained stationary. Kris turned to look at me. Turning to his side, I realised that we're already outside of my classroom. I turned back to meet his eyes and he said, "I'll wait for you after school by the gate later alright? So don't go anywhere."

 

I nodded in response. For some reason, I was feeling rather nervous. What is he planning after school? More importantly, why with me? Wouldn't Jessica misinterpret the entire scenario even though we maybe.... Best friends... Oh how I loathe saying that word but what can I do? The truth hurts.

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

I walked towards the gate with my head hung low. I was too nervous to know what's ahead of me. Slowly, I tried to lift my head to have a clear view of what's in front of me. No doubt, the coldest man in the school is right there by the gate. Waiting in the cold for me as I slowly approached him. I put up the most convincing facial expression and charged towards him ensuring to bump onto to him. 

 

He was in utter shock by the sudden force, "Oh . You scared the crap out of me!" I grinned as I fixed my hair neatly because it got messy during the bump. I panted trying to catch my breath while Kris made his way closer, I gazed into his eyes. He had his hand interlaced with strands of my hair.

 

"You missed out this tangled knot," he smiled softly but his eyes tells me a totally different story. I looked at him worriedly. What's wrong? What's bothering him? "Actually, I called you out here cause I've been meaning to tell you something..." I anticipated with what he was about to say. However, it gave me a huge shock.

 

"Jessica... and I... we... are over," he hung his head low and cupped my hands onto his face as the tears that he's been trying to hold back begins falling one tear at a time. I was in the state of shock. Unsure of what to do, I had my right hand rubbing onto his back attempting to comfort him. It was all over for them. But what was the cause of it all? We made our way to the bus stop as Kris insisted on taking me home. It was a silent journey for the two of us. He was still depressed, I was still unsure of how to cheer him up. It was all too sudden for him. Yet I, as his best friend, have no idea what's going on. Why did she do that?

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

Just when I've stepped foot onto my house, I've noticed an extra pair of shoes by the welcome mat. I know very well that there's a female guest in my house. Who would be most likely to bring a female guest home? It was none other than the player of this household; Kim Joonmyun. I sighed at that thought as I put on my indoor shoes. Only to realise that it was missing. Rubbing onto my temples, I know that Joonmyun had given his guest my indoor shoes. So I walked around the house searching for live creatures. I flung my brother's bedroom door right open and to my surprise. I would have never guessed it. My own brother, Joonmyun, was face with the woman I've hated the most and will never forgive her for what she did, Jessica. 

 

I was frozen in my spot as I tried to get the words out, "H-How l-long has this been going on?" Jessica was surprised to see me. She knows that I'm Joonmyun's little sister but yet, they've pulled this cheat code on Kris. I was at a loss of words and emotions. I did not know how to react. I've never expected that my brother would become the other boyfriend. At most times, he was the one who dated two girls at once or the one who could date and then break up with someone in less than a minute. But this was an utter shock to me. 

 

"Ara, listen to oppa carefully. I can explain," I could sense Joonmyun was being very careful with his words. I sighed in frustration, trying to calm myself down, "I don't need your explanation. I just want to know.  How. Long. Has. This. Been. Going. On?" I gritted my teeth and clenched my fists. I was angry, mad, furious at everything right now. My best friend was depressed over the fact that his girlfriend was giving him the cold shoulder and now she decided to call their 2-year relationship quits while my own brother was right here face with the same girl that my best friend is crying over.

 

He sighed and finally answered my question, "3 months." 3 months that was exactly how long Jessica was giving Kris the cold shoulder. I didn't what to do nor how to react to this. To betray my best friend and tell my brother to last long with her? Both of them are in the wrong. They should feel the guilt eating them alive. He shouldn't have become tbat other boy. I could feel my world crashing down on me. 

 

Love happens all the time

To people who aren't kind

And heroes who are blind

Expecting perfect scripted movie scenes

Who wants an awkward silent mystery?

- Black Pearl

Sigh... Who is this Black Pearl? It feels like he knows my situation. Just then someone behind me made a mess out of my hair. I whined and turned to look at who it was. To my dismay, it was Oh Sehun. I looked at him and he grinned, "Why? Were you expecting someone else?"

 

"Well, definitely not you that is," I scoffed, trying to get my hair back to its intended style.

 

Sehun turned to read the note on my locker and he chuckled. Gosh what's wrong with him, really? "You know, this Black Pearl.. He could be a lot closer than you think."

 

I blinked, trying to process what he just said, "W-What do you mean?"

 

"He could be just right here all along that maybe, you just haven't realised it yet. Hey, I gotta go. I'll just see you around okay?" Just then he ran off and out of my sight in a blink of an eye. What does he mean by that? I frowned whilst pondering about what he just told me. Things with Kris has been going well lately. Could he the one? But then again, he's going through a break up. Slowly, he's adjusting to the single life. It has probably been ages that he lived his life this way but I'm just glad that he feels better now, he's smiling. What are the odds of him being Black Pearl? Black Pearl, himself, hasn't been giving me sweet notes lately which in all honesty is bothering me. Who's the guy behind all these messages?

 

After school, Kris and I would meet up, doing the most random things ever. We went up to the school rooftop, just to talk, "Hey, I wanna try something." He stood up and went towards the edge. Just when I thought he was gonna jump down,"I HATE YOU JUNG SOO YEON FOR BEING A COLD HEARTLESS !!!! I HOPE KARMA GETS TO YOU ONE DAY!! Wow... That felt really great. No wonder they say that it's best to let all your feelings out. Hey, you try it."

 

"I-I don't know Kris," I protested.

 

"C'mon. It'll be fun. It's the end of school anyways and no one's around. Who could possibly care?" I looked down but he was quick to lift my head up to look at him in the eyes, "hey, I'm sure you have feeling that you wanna let out." Sigh... feelings for you that is...

 

I sighed realising that I'm actually giving in to his request, "HUANG ZITAO I HATE THE PERSON YOU'VE BECOME RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!"

 

Kris giggled at my response and before we knew it, we weren't shouting not only at the rooftop but also by the hallways.

 

"Hey you two! No screaming in the hallways! Come in to my office!" Mr Lee exclaimed. Laughing it off, we made our way to his office. Grinning at each other for our silly actions. But hey, we had feelings we've been accumulated inside and needed to let them all out because its better to let it out than to continue to let it accumulate. Just then, Mr Lee came back to the office and sat in front of us, he sighed, "You two have disrupted the silence maintained in the hallways. I'm sorry to say this but you'll have to do 6 hours of community service. You two were too inconsiderate. Us, teachers, have a lot of work to do and noise would only distract them. Don't whine cause you should be thankful that I didn't send you two to detention."

Kris grinned, replying, "Well community service is fine by me."

 

Smiling back at him, we were dismissed from the office. Glancing unto his watch, I realised that it's already late and, "we'd better get going. It's pretty late, I'll take you home." I wanted to protest so badly but I just shrugged when he gave me a light push as we got going. Blushing, I had my head hung low trying my best to contain my happiness but a grin was evident on my face. My heart feels light, cotented to be exact.

 

The moment I arrived home, I sighed inwardly. I still have not forgotten the incident that took place at this very place last week. Just then Vickie approached me, sticking her tongue out and wiggling her tail. She's my 3 month old shih tzu. My cousin allowed me to keep her since she couldn't do so due to her work schedule. At first, I wasn't fond of dogs but eventually Vickie taught me how to adore them. I bend down to tug onto her fur. I sighed as I saw a pair of feet in front of me. I looked up, it was none other than Kim Joonmyun    the person I acknowledge as my brother. Neglecting his presence, I made my way to my room with Vickie trailing behind me and lazily plopped onto my bed. Vickie eventually hopped her way up onto my bed and settled down right next to me. I stared at my brother who was by the footstep of my door. I sighed, "What is it?"

 

"Well, I was wondering if    "

 

"If I told Kris about your secret affair? No. But he's bound to know anyway. Enjoy it while it lasts cause I'm damn right sure that you'll get hurt just like how she hurt him. I don't have to know her cause it's evident that the same thing will happen." Just then, he stormed off the room. It was true. Everything that I've said. I don't support this relationship because it's her. She messed with my best friend and now she has my brother? Who does she think she is? She should be glad that she has a sweet, romantic guy like Kris and yet she chose my brother? She's fortunate that I haven't done anything to her yet because if I did, things are about to get ugly. Damn sure that karma will get back at her. 

 

Just then, Vickie was tugging onto a box under my bed. I turned to see what she was doing. But I realised that the box was actually where I kept all of Black Pearl's notes. One by one, I took them all out and read each and every on of them. Trying my hardest to figure out who is Black Pearl. I'm on the verge of pulling all my hair out. Who is this guy anyway?! He writes me notes as and when he likes. It frustrates me that he leaves these notes whilst keeping his identity. He frustrates me when he stops leaving notes. Who exactly is he?!

 

"You know, this Black Pearl.. He could be a lot closer than you think." Just then, Sehun's words came back to me as a hint. 

 

****

 

"It's not the same, 

No, it's never the same,

if you don't feel it too.

If you meet me halfway,

if you could meet me halfway,

It could be the same for you

- Black Pearl"

 

I felt someone's arm setting around my waist, I turned to look at who it was. To my surprise, it was Jongin. I playfully hit him in the arm, "Don't do that! Otherwise I'd think it was someone else trying to do God knows what."

 

He chuckled, gosh I miss this boy so much as I didn't realise that I've been hanging out with Kris a lot lately. Probably because I may have abandoned Jongin. I scanned his face for some sadness before giving him a tight hug, "Damn. I'm so sorry if I've been neglecting you somehow. You know very well that it wasn't intentional."

 

I broke the hug as Jongin looked down at me with sad eyes. For some reason, I felt queasy inside. "I understand that you can't just simply leave the one you love when you really need him so I forgive you. But you ever do that again, Ariel Kim Ara, I will stop being your friend."

 

"Okay okay. So we're good.. You know what, Jongin?" he anticipated. I sighed before continuing, "Sometimes, I'm not even sure if I still love him as much as I used to. Maybe reality has finally knock some sense into me. You must think I'm a total idiot right now because it took me this long to realise."

 

He remained silent for a moment but that's because Kris was making his way towards us, "Oh? Looks like my best friend has a secret admirer. What's this? Black Pearl? Awww.... How sweet! Anyways, dropped by to say hi and don't forget our date. I meant community service later." I nodded in response as I was too tired to say anything to him. It's been so hard on me lately and Jongin senses that. 

 

Frustrated with my brother and how clueless Kris is right at this moment. As much as I love this man, Joonmyun is still my brother. Blood is thicker than water afterall. Beep I fished out my phone only to receive an email from an unknown source. 

 

"I always knew it was you 

 

But you're too interested in the other guys to notice

Because you loved the bad ones, you know them

The ones who leave you heartbroken.

- Black Pearl"

 

How did he get my email? Who is behind all this? "Hey what's wrong? Did you heart what I just said?" Kris snapped me out of my thoughts. 

 

"Sorry, what did you just say?" I was distracted. What's happening? Why do I suddenly feel like this? Who is this man? I turned to look at Kris and scrutinize him. He looks like he could be the one but it didn't seem so. He looks like he has no clue about it at all but what if he's hiding it all? I turned around to look at Jongin. Oh how my heart ached due to the sight of him. His face tells a thousand stories, pain was written all over his face. I started to wonder about what Black Pearl meant. Interested in other guys? Doesn't that mean that he's aware that I'm not interested in him? That I may have already rejected him unknowingly? I walked slower so that I could walk alongside with Jongin. Evaluating his face, I pinched both his cheeks leaving him squealing in pain. I chuckled at his priceless reaction. Kris halted and have a look at us. He furrowed his brows, "Eh? What were you guys doing?"

 

"N-Nothing," I grnned as I remembered how priceless was Jongin's reaction.

 

****

 

School ended in a bliss and my first 2 hours of community service began. I met Kris outside of Mr Lee's office, reporting for duty. We grinned at each other, greeting at the same time. "Here's to our first 2 hours of community service. Hehehe." Just then Kris went straight in his office while I waited outside to stabilise myself first. 

 

I went right in only to have Mr Lee glaring at me, I signed my name in as Kris handed me a broom. For this community service, we were asked to sweep all the fallen leaves to one side. I knew it. It's because it's spring and he wants the entire school sparkly cleaned. "Why did they sweep all of these during fall last year? Or was he really just waiting for a student to get into trouble so that they could take care of these chores for him." I whined. Kris couldn't help but to burst out in laughter. I don't understand what's going on his mind. It's rather confusing at times that I'd get really frustrated.

 

Just then, Kris's phone rang. He turned to me and asked if he could take that. I pouted playfully. Laughing at his reaction (which showed how much he actually believed me), I told him that yea, he should answer the call cause we may never know how important that is. He looked rather nervous whilst I continued to sweep.

 

Midway, I needed to go to the loo. I didn't particularly like the 1st floor ladies' so I went up to the 2nd floor. After finishing my business in the restroom, I took a glance from the window. I was surprised to see a huge message there.

 

"This sickness called love is addictive overdose"

 

I happened to receive an email from the same unknown source, "the time spent missing you is too long. Panic turns into torture. I'm slowly, deeply and more bewitched by you. - Black Pearl"

 

I got own to the first floor. Once I let the message sink in. Kris came aback, I continued to whine that someone caused a mess. Kris laughed and we continued sweeping the leaves away. Once we were all done with the chore for today, we packed our things and headed out to the bus stop. It was silent. I turned to him and asked, "So who was that on the phone earlier on?"

 

"It was Jessia..." Kris replied, I stood there silently. What could she possibly want?

 

"She wants to get back together with me..." I looked at him as though he had completely read my mind. I waited, anticipating for an explannation in which I had none come out from is mouth, "So... What are you going to do about it?"

 

"I don't know yet.. But I'm definitely not going to make it that easy for her. I've had enough of all these pushing and pulling."

 

We continued our journey back home. Kris wanted to have a look inside my house. Knowing that there's a high risk of Jessica being at home, I totally shrugged that idea and asked him to go home using my parents as an excuse to prevent him from argueing back at me. I felt bad for lying to him but seeing him heartbroken was something I don't wish to witness. I sighed as I got into my house. It was eerily empty. I went into Joonmyun's room only to see the state of his room. I was stupefied. It looked as if there was an earthquake and only his room got affected. I noticed a letter an his bed and read its content. It didn't take me long to know what happened to him. Instinctively, I grabbed my things and headed out. Before I could do so, Vickie had her paws caressing onto my clothes. Sighing in frustration, I grabbed her leash and connected it to her collar and headed out.

 

I went straight to the nearest park where Joonmyun would always give himself some time to think things through or even to meditate. I searched for the possible places he'd be but he was nowhere to be found! When I was about to give up on searching, Vickie started barking at a dark silhouette. What's wrong with this girl? I turned to look at her direction. It appears to be a very familiar posture. Walking closer, I realised it was Joonmyun. But nostalgia was written all over his face. If I knew any better, I'd think that he's regretting his decision for even getting involved in their relationship. 

 

Later on, we were seated in the restaurant across the street. I was surprised to hear what I'm about to hear even if I'm aware of this already, I remained silent, "You're right. She did leave me."

 

"Oppa, c'mon. She's just another girl. There's plenty of other girls that you'll meet eventually. It may not be her now but there are other decent girls. I don't care what that told you but hey, you're John Kim Joonmyun and I believe that there's a better girl out there." I comforted him because in this situation, that's exactly what he needs from his little sister right now. 

 

"Did you tell him?" he turned to look at me in the eyes, searching for honesty. "No. I wouldn't, I can't bring myself to do that even if he's my best friend."
 

"Good." Joonmyun then took our order and headed out, on his way back home. I continued to give Vickie a walk when my cell rang. I was yet again surprised who see the caller ID. Why did he choose to call me at such a time. I went out of the restaurant to pick up the phone call.

 

"Hello?"

 

"Hey, whatcha doing right now?"

 

"Well... Just studying. You know I've got a test coming up soon so yeah..."

 

"He he he... Liar. Are you seriously kidding me? Ara, since when did you learn to lie to me? I can see you right now." I turned to look at the familiar tall figure. Grinning at him, I immediately dashed after him with Vickie following me. When I stood right in front of him, little Vickie began growling at Kris. Wonder what's wrong with her. She never growls at anyone unless there's something about their personality. I commanded her to keep quiet as Kris took me home.

 

"So... umm... Are you planning on getting back together with her?" I asked him carefully but I was only answered with silence. I hung my head lw in order to hide my embarrasssment. 

 

"No. I found out that she's actually dating someone else during the period that she ignored me."

 

****

 

The months after that, Kris slowly got over his break up with Jessica but ever since the news broke out, the girls in the entire school began throwing themselves at him. Why are they so stupid to think that he'll just fall for anyone? Why am I so stupid for still being in love with him? I turned to ask Jongin, "Tell me honestly. You think I'm being stupid, right?"

 

"Well, I won't exactly call it stupid. To love someone who loves someone else. It is stupid to be that person. But stupid comes from one's decision. You love the guy so damn much that you're oblivious to everything around you." He replied.

 

"I'm such an idiot. Why am I going after a guy whom I know will never look at me that way?"

 

"Maybe because you feel that maybe somehow you can find a way to get out of that zone." I opened my locker, only to see a note found inside my locker.

 

"It doesn't feel real yet, why isn't this a dream?

I can't believe it either, are you really human? 

You wouldn't know, you probably don't know about my feelings for you.

Love, love, love.

- Black Pearl"

 

I grinned as I read his note. How does he know my locker combination anyway? Just then, I was taken aback by someone's arms lingering from my sides. I turned to see who's the culprit. Only to be shocked to know that it's Kris! I remained still as I tried to collect my thoughts at the moment. 

 

After that day, we're always stuck together like the Astro twins. You were me and I was you.

 

****

 

"Are you free tonight?" Kris enquired.

 

"Well..." as though I was thinking hard about my schedule.

 

"Great! I'll pick you up right after school." Kris was quick to act. Furrowing my eyebrows, I was confused. Did he just asked me out on a date? It's been like this for the past few weeks. What's happening? I really don't understand this situation right now. Amongst all the girls that's been going all over him, some even going through desperate measures to garner his attention. Why me? There's lots of prettier girls out there. Well of course! It's because I'm his best friend. Nothing more. Nothing will ever change that fact. Yet why do I still go after him?

 

"If I hadn't known better, I'd think that he just asked you out on a date." Jongin commented. Was he being serious? If there's one thing I know about Jongin, it's that he never talks about Kris in a positive light. He would always diss Kris, particularly my feelings for him. But why is he being sincere about this now?

 

"Nahhh... Doubt so.. But do you really think so?"

 

"C'mon, Ara. You're an amazing lady! You're kind, sweet, thoughtful and lovable. Any guy would be stupid not to see that in you." 

 

"Easy for you to say. You've got girls throwing themselves at you."

 

"What's your point?" Jongin's tone began to sound serious before he sighed, "Ara, maybe there are like girls whom wants Kim Jongin. But what if Kim Jongin doesn't want any of those girls. What if he wants someone else... Like this girl whom I've been trying sooo hard to impress but apparently she's too busy pointing her attention at someone else because she already has her eyes set on someone. The sad part is.... He's not me. Nothing will change that fact.."

 

Wow... The devil dancer is in love with someone. How come he never told me about this? This is the first time I'm hearing this and seeing this side of Jongin. I really hope things will go well with this girl that seems to be driving my friend crazy. He was never the type to fall for someone. Moreover have a girl whom isn't the slightest interested in him. Beep. I received a text.

 

"Hey, I'm by the gate. Don't forget about our date! ^^" It was from Kris. 

 

I turned to look at Jongin, looking for a sign. He just accompanied me to the school gate just so I could reach there safely though it was really redundant. I can't believe that Kris actually called this a date. I actually didn't know what this is. Could it be because he wanted to tell me something? He took my hand as we made our way to the bus stop. Grinning, blushing, he said, "I've always wanted to do this. Going out with you, alone. I just never had the courage and now that I have, nothing's going to disrupt this peace. Just us. I don't think I would ever smile like this if it wasn't for you. Ara, I think I   "

 

"Oh hey Kris!" a masculine voice called out. It was none other than Amber    Kris's first love. Man on the outside but a real woman inside. She's beautiful but I wouldn't blame Kris for loving her first. However, not everyone actually recognises this beauty in her. 

 

"Oh. Did I just ruined your date?" She asked when Kris immediately let go of my hand. "Not really. She's my best friend! C'mon Josephine. Get real. She's a really great friend who helped me a lot." Wow. Did he really just did that? I scoffed as I made my way to the bus stop, making my way back home alone. I don't intend to talk to him. Neither do I wanna pick up his calls nor leave a text. Kris Wu Yi Fan is dead to me. He can just go back to his own galaxy where he claims he came from. Cause I seriously had enough! I arrived home with eyes soiled with tears. Hurriedly, I fished my cell out and dialed Jongin's number. It took me about 2 rings before he picked up my call. It was evident in my voice that I'm sobbing hard as much as I didn't want him to notice it, my emotions took control. Just then, it was dead silent on the other line. I tossed my phone aside. I couldn't help it. How could he make me believe that the feelings were mutual only to have it crushed in the end?

 

A few minutes later, my room door flung right open. I didn't bother looking who it was. I know very well that's only Kim Yugyeom, my younger brother, who's out to annoy the out of me even in this stae. I continued to cry into my pillow, not bothering about anything. When I realised whoever that person is, was not Yugyeom definitely. He had himself lay on my bed next to me, pulling me into his embrace as I continue to cry into his shirt. Not caring about anything. He gently patted my back, "Love happens all the time to people who aren't kind. And heroes who are blind. Expecting perfect scripted movie scenes. Who wants an awkward silent mystery? How were you to know? And I hate to see your heart break. I hate to see your eyes get darker as they close. But I've been there before."

 

Wait that came from one of Black Pearl's notes. And that voice sounds awfully familiar. That note that came to me right from the moment Kris and Jessica broke up. Could this man be Black Pearl? My tears stopped running as I looked up. No way. He smiled a gentle smile as he brushes off the remaining tears and held my face firmly. "Surprise?"

 

"It was you all along?" He nodded before pulling me into a comforting hug, "I am that girl who was too oblivious to even notice you?" He nodded. But how? When? Why him? Most of all why me? I can't believe my eyes. I was too blind to even notice this guy who's so sweet to me and goes overboard just to cheer me up. The one who'd listen to my love chants over Kris. The one who comes to my rescue when accidents happen. The one who's world I totally crushed when I told him that I only saw him as a friend when in actual fact he actually gave me second thoughts about my feelings for Kris with his notes. That man who disguised himself as Black Pearl just so he could get my attention. That man is Kim Jongin. 

 

"Since when?" I asked, I was really curious to know about it. "Since you were too busy loving Kris. I realised I was never okay seeing you with another guy. So... Will you give me that chance now that you know I'm Black Pearl?"

 

I thought for a moment as I look at his actions. He was being rather thoughtful and was careful with his actions. Jongin has always made me feel special. He never left me whenever I needed him really badly and he's a sincere man. Apart from losing the friendship, I don't see any other reason why should I reject this man. I nodded to him in response. "Yes, I'll give you that chance. Black Pearl."

 

He grinned in ecstasy as he pulled me into a breathtaking hug, placing a soft kiss on my lips for the very first time I felt butterflies in my stomach. 

 

*~*~*~*

 

Months after saying yes to Jongin, I found out that Kris and Amber got together after graduation. He finally got the girl he's always wanted. While me? Jongin has been really careful with his actions, making sure that I don't overthink and misunderstood. Jongin shrugs any girl that tries to approach him. Sehun was the first one who's aware of our relationship. Who would knew that Sehun was referring to Jongin all these time? It was my final year in high school and the seniors of the school are given a task to contribute something for graduation night. In honorary for the school, selective students are asked to represent their class. I got myself ready for school and made my way. The moment I got out of my house, I was surprised to see him by the gate. He saw me and grinned, "Hey beautiful."

 

I shrugged at his romantic advances like I always do. I was still unsure about my feelings for Jongin. Each time he says the three words, I wouldn't give a reply immediately. Maybe I'm just not ready to open up my feelings but Jongin doesn't pressure me. Sneakily, he slipped his hands to hold onto mine. And we headed off to school. 

 

I went to my locker to see a note on it. I turned to Jongin and frowned, " Jongin-ah~ I told you already that you don't have to do this."

 

"But I love leaving notes on your locker." I pouted till he finally gave up."Thank you, Jongin."

 

"By the way, are you free after school? I was thinking maybe we could study together?"

 

"Hmmm... sure why not?"

 

We headed to our next class. Jongin and I weren't in the same class so we went on our separate ways. It seems childish and immature but it feels empty without Jongin by my side in class. However, I have to show everyone that I trust Jongin and I'm not boy crazy. There's been a rumor going around that I chased after Jongin for the entire year after Kris rejected me and that he's dating me for sympathy. Some girls would shoot a dagger-like glare at me. Though it bothers me at times, I don't give in to their requests. I took out my textbooks to focus on the lesson when I saw a vandalism on my desk.

 

"Stay away from Jongin, you witch!

Aren't you ashamed for having him after being rejected by Kris?

You sicken me!"

 

I turned to Sehun and asked him if he knew who wrote that. He shook his head and told me not to worry. If it gets worse, he would stop at nothing to find the culprit. Why is this happening? What did I ever do wrong? If this is about the rumor, it's not true. I really hope that it'll all die soon cause I don't want anything to come in between me and my focus. It's my final year in high school and I wanna do well and get into the course that I wanted. 

 

*~*~*~*

 

School ended in a blink of an eye, I got out of my classroom. Talking to Sehun about today's lesson, I had totally forgotten that I was supposed to meet up with Jongin. In the midst of our conversation, I felt a sudden thump from behind and noticed a pair of arms wrapped around my waist whilst someone's head rested on my shoulder. I turned to look at who it was, I grinned. Jongin was being as silly as always. But to my surprise it wasn't him. It was the man who broke my heart back in my first year of high school    Kris. What was he doing here? I forcefully unlocked his arms around me and glared at Kris, "What do you think you're doing?"
 

"I came here to see you." He grinned, hoping that I'm free but just then I remembered I was supposed to meet Jongin in the library. Without thinking, I rushed to the library. Hoping that he hasn't left yet. It seems stupid but what are the odds? He could be waiting for an hour.

 

I arrived in the library, only to be surprised with what I saw. The door stated, "Follow the rose petals and you'll get a surprise at the end." Gosh, what is he up to this time? I followed the rose petals one step at a time. After reaching the cafeteria, I encounter Sehun who gave me a rose telling me to continue following the petals. The next stop I saw Kyungsoo who also had a rose with him. I approached him and he told me the exact same thing which was to follow the trail of petals. I was slowly getting frustrated. The next landmark I encountered someone was by the staircase and there I encountered Jongin's older brother, Jongdae. He grinned at me telling me not to get frustrated but to be patient cause I might regret having such feelings. Yes, he also told me to continue following the rose petals. I walked up the stairs to see my own brother at the fifth floor. I tap on my toes demanding for an explannation. "Ara, you've got a great guy ahead of you. Please don't something stupid cause I'm the last person you'll encounter. Through this door is the answer to your questions and possibly frustration."

 

I took the rose Joonmyun have in his hands and got in. Only to have the sun light blinding my eyes. After sometime, my sight adjusted to the sun rays. I saw the man who made me feel at ease. Who comforted me through my troubled times. He slowly approached me with a rose and recited,

 

"Ariel Kim Ara, my one and only love.

Firstly, I love you.

I knew it from the minute I first met you.

I'm sorry it took me so long to catch up

I got stuck and confused.

Like you, I was afraid

Afraid that I would risk this friendship if ever we start dating

 But when I see you smiling to other guys

I gotta admit, that ticked me off

And when you admitted that you were in love with that jerk

I got jealous.

I wanted you

I wanted you to fall for me, that's why I disguised myself as Black Pearl

And when he broke your heart

I know it wasn't a great timing but I know I just had to tell you

These feelings I had inside of me wanted to come out.

You make me love you more and more as the day passses.

Ara, I love you.

I can't promise you a perfect relationship but I will shower you with my love everyday so

Will you officially be my girlfriend?"

 

Tears started falling, I didn't know what to say. Those were tears of joy and I was speechless with everything that he prepared for me. It's sweet. And no girl would ever say no to this. Unknowingly, I ran up to him and gave him a long loving kiss as way to say yes, I will be his girlfriend. I could feel his sense of victory and he kissed back. Grinning as he hugged me, lifted me up and twirled around in victory. I laughed at his reaction. When he came to a stop, he leaned his head against my forehead, "I love you Jongin."

 

Just then, somebody cleared his throat. Jongin and I turned to our side. It was Kris. He crossed his arms as if he needed an explannation, "Kris, this is Black Pearl."

 

His eyes widened as he heard the word Black Pearl as though he is dead to him. Jongin then interlaced his fingers with mine and said, "hyung, she's my girl now."

 

Kris was shocked as he said, "Are you serious?"

 

"Yes, Kris. It's been a while now. We've been getting to know each other. Where's Amber by the way?"

 

"She doesn't matter right now. Cause Ara, I realised that my feelings for Amber wasn't like how it used to anymore. I want you. I need you in my life. I know what pain I must have caused you. I know my own mind and known it for a long time and kow that I could never think otherwise but what is love if it's not with you?"

 

I didn't know how to respond with that. I looked into Jongin's eyes reassuredly, "Kris, that might have worked 2 years ago when I was crazily in love with you but... I love Jongin. He was there for me when you weren't. There's not a single reason why I shouldn't love him cause all he ever did was to ensure I'm happy even if he can make me jealous at times. I'm sorry Kris. I've only ever been just that friend label to you."

 

Kris then couldn't take this reality and softly said, "I'm sorry that this is a monologue. Actually I love you. If only our secrets were revealed. I would hold you in my arms."

 


 

Author's Note:

 OMG! I FINALLY FINISHED THIS FIC!

Do let me know what you think about this.

I'm dearly sorry but if you guys want a sequel 

but to your disappointment, I won't be writing

a sequel. I hope that you're satisfied with this

cause the point is that you'll find out who's Black

Pearl so here you go. Please do the poll and let me

know who you actually thought was Black Pearl 

in the beginning or during the course of this story

before I revealed who was he. 

Kekeke. Do check out my other stories. Sorry

if it took me long to update this. Been very busy

with school lately. Thanks to those readers who has

been with this story before it became a oneshot. I 

love you all subscribers very much! ^.^ 

Signing off, 

Ramyeon19