Chapter 6 - History and Future

Heir of Hearts (Co-author Needed)

 

History and Future
_______________________________________________________________________________
                                   "Which will it be?"

 

Myungsoo stared into the valleys before him. It was dusk and the sun had just set. The scene was exceptionally breath taking, not that he was fully aware of it. His mind was too occupied with something else. Someone else to be precise.

Chorong had taken Naeun and Eunji upstairs after their conversation that afternoon. Can’t really say it was a peaceful one, considering how intensed the topic Chorong had brought on upon them. Myungsoo himself was surprised at the lady’s sharpness. To think that he could have kept it a secret from the former Hearts' heiress for just a few more days.

But thanks to Chorong, everything went down the drain.

She did not exactly spur out the secret to Naeun and Eunji, but she might as well have. All the ‘subtle’ hints that she dropped, all the sentences involving the word ‘Spades’, that shook Myungsoo right out of him comfort zone. He caught a glimpse of how dark Naeun’s face turned out when ‘Spades’ was mentioned, he knew there and there that his plan was starting to fall.

But there was no more choice he could take, no more path in front of him to save her. There was only one. No matter how risky it was, he could only take that one step. He’d be damn but if Naeun refused, he could and would drag her (and Eunji) to Spades.

The land was divided to 4 parts, with Woohyun and Chorong’s (not so small) land situated in the middle. Each part had its own kingdom and royals to rule. These 4 kingdoms were Spades, Clubs, Diamonds and Hearts. Now, it was no secret that Spades and Hearts were the stronger and wealthier among the 4 kingdoms. It was also no secret that Clubs and Diamonds favored Spades instead of Hearts.

For many centuries, Hearts had supported its people without the help from the other 3. It stood bravely and proudly on its own. However, a century ago, Hearts had gotten a little greedy. It wanted to rule all of the lands. So the rulers back then - Naeun’s great grandfather announced war upon Spades. Clubs and Diamonds did not choose sides despite their favoritism towards Spades, at first.

For years the war was between Hearts and Spades only. When the other two kingdoms finally decided to join forces with Spades, Hearts was immediately doomed. The King and Queen were punished by execution and their children were exiled into outer lands. The royal family was swept off completely, all but one.

Naeun’s grandfather.

The rulers of Spades back then saw no use in conquering Hearts and so they let the Crown Prince at that time to continue ruling his kingdom. He was thankful of course, but it did not last long. He started passing down the hate he had for Spades down his legacy, all the way to Naeun and Jaewoo. Thanks to him, all of Hearts hated Spades to the core. Myungsoo was not sure of Spades’ people, but his father sure hated Hearts too.

Myungsoo’s father.

His Majesty Kim Jongkook, King of Spades.

Hearts’ sworn enenemy.

 

“Whatcha doing kiddo?” A familiar voice snapped Myungsoo out of his thoughts. Woohyun walked out to the veranda to join his younger friend, now both admiring the scenery.

Myungsoo did not respond even at the slightest of his entrance. All he did was stared at the horizon. Woohyun heaved out a sigh, this boy never did change,“Did Chorongie went all out just now?”

Myungsoo snickered, “Chorongie? Seriously hyung?” At least he was responding.

Woohyun shrugged, “She’s my wife, and I’ll call her what I want,”

“I’m hoping that Isuel won’t turn out like you. I pity the kid,”

“Yah! Yah! Yah! Kim Myungsoo,”

“Your son has a chance to grow up decent under his mother’s care. Do him a favor and don’t mess it up hyung,” The younger gave Woohyun a sincere(?) advice.

The older sighed, “To think that spending all those time in Hearts would change you,”

Myungsoo held out his hands, letting them feel the wind that was breezing through. He had his eyes looking down the tiled floor as he let out a short smile, “I did change hyung,”

“Not according to your sassy tongue you didn’t,” Woohyun countered. Myungsoo looked at him with half-lidded eyes, but Woohyun could still see the genuine happiness behind it all.

“You’re happy,” Woohyun stated simply, as if he was reading it off a book.

“I am,” The younger answered, “I don't know why I am, but I am,”

“Well, isn’t that twisted,” Woohyun joked, but he was the only one laughing.

Myungsoo ignored his hyung. Instead, he asked, “Am I doing the right thing hyung?”

“You mean bringing Princess Naeun to Spades later on?” Woohyun asked for confirmation, as to which Myungsoo nodded, “You are saving her Kim Myungsoo. You are doing her a favor, where is the wrong in that?”

This sounded familiar.

Myungsoo was silent for a while. He continued looking up front, his eyes mixed with sorrow, concern and fear. He also closed his hands together, a sign that he was feeling worried.

“It’s all so ironic, isn’t it hyung?”

“What is?”

“All of this. Years ago, her ancestors were put on an exiled by my ancestors, all forever lost. Now it’s all upside down. Her own family is now the one who puts her on exile, and her suppose enemy and threat, me, is helping her,” Myungsoo finished.

Woohyun let out a small laugh at hearing the explanation, still with his amused face on he answered the younger, “They say that history tends to repeat itself. But the funny thing is, no one said that it could not bend things a little bit. And when even the slightest course of history is changed, we can no longer call it ‘history’. Instead, we call it future,”

For the first time that dusk, Myungsso turned around to face his hyung. Woohyun was now on his ‘wise’ mode, but the grin curved on his lips could have fooled others into thinking that he was retarded.

“My point is Myungsoo, the decisions that you had taken and will take will play a very important role in the future. People will call it history someday, but as for now, let’s all call it future. And according to Chorongie,” Myungsoo rolled his eyes for a moment but the older continued, “The future holds many possibilities. So choose your paths wisely,”

Myungsoo was now literally staring at Woohyun, but his eyes were looking a little zoned out, not to Woohyun though. Knowing Myungsoo, the younger had probably laid out all of his plan and courses before the top even started. And now that it had, Myungsoo was most probably rethinking his next step.

But then again, His Royal Highness Prince Kim Myungsoo was not easy to quiver. The young man was a persistent one and he always stood his grounds.

“You’re a smart person Myungsoo, extremely detailed too,” Woohyun spoke again, shaking Myungsoo out of his thoughts, “So trust yourself and just go on with it,”

The prince smiled. He opened his mouth to speak but it was cut short by a knock from behind. Both of the lads turned around, only to find Naeun in front of the glass door. Woohyun gave Myungsoo a smile before letting the girl in.

“Was I interrupting?” Naeun asked warily.

“Oh no, our Myungsoo always has time for his Lady Naeun,” That sentence alone made Naeun blushed furiously. It also earned Woohyun a smack on his back, from Myungsoo of course.

“I suppose you have something to say to Myungsoo?” Woohyun asked again, rubbing his back like a sore weep. Myungsoo was a royal knight. That alone should mean something. (Oh, and if you’re a bit ‘slow’, then let’s just say Myungsoo’s kicks and punches could rival a hit from a steel)

Naeun nodded and slowly glanced towards Myungsoo, “I do,”

“Well then, don’t let me bother you two,” Woohyun said and started walking inside, “If you need anything, I’ll be in my room. Chorong should know what to do with this,” He motioned to his back. With a final grin specially addressed to Myungsoo, the older closed the glass door and left.

“L-goon,” Naeun started, walking closer to the edge.

“You can call me Myungsoo,” The boy said, his eyes still on the scene before him.

Naeun nodded and she looked at him, the girl noticed that he was engrossed at the beautiful scene and so she followed suit, “Beautiful,”

Myungsoo smiled, “It is. We can always see it in Hearts too, don’t you remember?”

At the word Hearts, Naeun once again gazed at the boy. Her eyes filled with sorrow regret. Myungsoo knew that he had hurt her, but he also knew that Naeun needed that one push.

The thought of knowing that wherever she was, Hearts will always be near her.

Naeun let out a smile, a somehow awkward one, “I never knew that I had such an observant knight guarding me. How long have you been guarding me L-goon, I mean, Myungsoo?”

Myungsoo mentally snickered. Not because he was laughing at her, but her effort to become closer was……A little off. However, the boy appreciated her very much, no matter what she did.

“A year or so,”

Naeun nodded, “So you started at 20?” More pointless conversation, but she’s getting there. Myungsoo was sure of it.

“Yes,” He answered shortly, not that it really helped.

“Was it hard then? Leaving your family at such a young age, I mean,” It was starting, her main point.

“My father was the one that sent me to Hearts, I had no other say,”

“So you were forced?”

Myungsoo’s eyes suddenly sparkled, a scene that was rare to many, “My father is……Well, let’s just say that no one says no to my father,”

Naeun grinned, yet another rare scene, “Not even your mother?”

Myungsoo laughed a little, not just because Naeun had let out her cheeky side, but also because what she said was true, “Ah, yes. My mother. Only she has that special privilege of rejecting and saying no,”

“I suppose your father gave her that privilege the moment she said ‘yes’?”

“Which moment?” Myungsoo asked, though he was pretty sure what she meant.

“You know,” The girl’s eyes dazzled even more, it looked like she was sincerely having a good time, “When she said yes to your father proposed?”

For a moment there, both were laughing. The matter of a man turning into a puddle of goo for a woman was really funny, “You’re right,”

“Your father must love her very much,” Naeun summed it up, now looking back at the darker scene in front of her.

“Mother is a lovable woman. A scary one, but people love her,”

“Not as much as your father I presume?”

“You’re right,” He repeated, “There’s no other love that Mother cherishes more than Father’s love towards her. But even so, my siblings and I, we still love her whole-heartedly,”

“You never know that Myungsoo,” Naeun said, “A mother’s love is unbeatable, and your mother sounds like a great woman. I’m sure that her love for her children is pure and endless,” She finished off with a smile.

 “A sister’s love too,”

Naeun cocked her eyebrows, “Hurm?”

“Prince Son Jaewoo,” Myungsoo stated simply, “The love you have for him, the way you cherish and adore him. That can pretty much rival any other love in the world,”

Naeun remained quiet for a while. Her eyes turning back to its sorrow glim, “Of course I love him, too much too I fear. He is the only flesh and blood I have left,” She took a deep breath, “I mean, I might have family outside all of this but I’ll never know. And now, I can only cling onto Jaewoo, so that I won’t feel alone,”

Myungsoo knew that the ‘other family’ that Naeun was talking about referred to her ancestors who had been sentenced into an exile decades ago. The young prince also knew that his own ancestors had played a huge role in the fates of Hearts’ royal family. The decisions that the past ruler took were speculated by many. Some saw it as a decision from a power crazed man, others saw it as a sign of mercy.

Myungsoo was of course taught that the act was led from sympathy, a little hope that his ancestor left for the torn kingdom of Hearts. Truthfully, he himself did not know what to think of the act when he was first taught about it. To him, Spades had no power or rights to break apart a family, royal or not. But now, after single handedly saving Naeun, a direct descendant of the Sons, heiress of Hearts, Myungso could not help but feel……

Unfairness for the ex-princess, cruelty that was unbearable to cope to.

To be overthrown by her family, it must have been heartbreaking.

“You’re not alone,” The boy managed as to which the girl smiled blankly.

“I know. I have Eunji-eonni, and I’m grateful for her,”

“But she’s not your blood?”

Naeun nodded as a ‘yes’ sign, “I know that family does necessarily mean bonded by blood but……”

“You want Prince Jaewoo more than anything right now?”

Naeun removed her gaze from the scene to Myungsoo. The boy noticed that tears were threatening to fall down. He could literally hear his heart break to pieces.

“I left so that he can get what is best for him. But……Why am I feeling so regretful right now?”

Kim Myungsoo was a smart man. The smartest among his siblings in fact. But at that moment, seeing how the girl he deeply cared for broke into tears, his mind went blank. Without even him registering into his mind, his heart took over. The young man immediately hugged the girl and let her cry into his shoulders.

“He is going to be fine,” He assured, but he knew that that would not help.

“But I…He…Jaewoo…” The girl managed in between sobs, making Myungsoo crumbled again.

“I promised you, Naeun,” He breathed in the now cold air, “Prince Jaewoo is going to be fine. And when everything is settled, we’ll bring him back with us,”

Naeun did not reply, all she did was cry and cry. Call her weak, soft, fragile, but the tears were for her precious younger brother. The one that she was forced to leave behind. Beneath all of those longings for her brother was also regret for her people. She herself knew that the people of Hearts were now in grave danger under the ruling of her step-mother, but what could she do?

Her brother, the only surviving family member that she had left and the people that she grew to love and cherish, which one was she supposed to choose?

In the end, it looked like she chose no one. She was now only capable of running and running, and hoping for the best for those who she loved.

 

“Where are we heading Myungsoo?” Naeun asked a few moments later, now that her tears had dried up.

“My home,”

“Is it……In Spades?”

Myungsoo could hear the fear and worry in Naeun’s voice. He himself was alarmed when the word ‘Spades’ came out from the girl’s mouth, “Yes, I live in Spades. My parents and siblings, they all live there,”

“And you are taking me, the Crown Princess of Hearts, there?”

Myungsoo grinned (another rare scene), “I thought that you are no longer a princess, your highness,”

“Myungsoo…” Naeun sighed, this boy was surely something, “I know what I said and I meant it but…..I still have the Son blood in me, will I……Be accepted there?”

“Are you that worried, Naeun?”

She nodded, so he continued, “Would you be afraid of my mother when you meet her? After all that I’ve told you about her?”

Naeun thought about it for a moment and said,“Well…I think that I’ll feel intimidated at first, I mean, you did mention her being scary?”

Myungsoo chuckled at that, “She is, but like you said, she is a loving woman. And a loving woman, such as you, is never always scary,”

Naeun let out a genuine smile at hearing that. She could feel that Myungsoo loved his mother very much. Perhaps he was not a Momma’s boy, but he sure sounded like he loved her.

“People are people, Naeun. Where they live do not determined who they are,”

“So……Everything will be fine then?”

“I think it will,”

You think?

“But……”

Naeun felt alarmed and scared again, her face clearly showing how tensed and worried she was, “But?”

“Different from Hearts……Spades has this,uh,rule,”

“What rule?”

This is it

“If a man migrated from outer lands into Spades, it is easier for him to get a citizenship. All he has to do is swear off his former homeland and remained loyal to Spades. He will be given the handbook to all the rules of Spades, a small land to either build a house, a farm, or plant crops and some starting money. As for women however, it can be both call easier or even trickier, which ever ways you look at it,”

“Meaning……?”

Myungsoo continued explaining, “You see, like in all four parts of this land, woman is to be treated fairly. But in Spades, a woman of a higher rank like you, needs to be in a bond with a man of Spades in order to get her citizenship,”

“A bond you say? What kind of bond?”

“A sacred and permissible one,"

Here goes nothing.

"A marriage,” He could see the expression that Naeun had in her eyes. Worried, blank, realization and finally, shocked.

It did not take a genius to figure out what Myungsoo was going to say next, “Son Naeun, will you marry me?”

_______________________________________________________________________________

(A/N).

Hiya guys! It's been a long time since I updated. So sorry >.< I guess writer's block hit me hard. Okay so, was anyone surprised in this chapter? The fact that L/Myungsoo is the Prince of Spades, Hearts' sworn enemy, that's the major plot right there, but not all of it. Now, Naeun herself does not know this fact, she just knows that L/Myungsoo is from Spades, that's all.

And, Naeun is suppose to be this broken girl, making her cry in sorrow, hurt and all is my goal. But I hope she's not a Mary-Sue, yaiks, don't want that. She'll turn out strong in the future c: (I hope?) By the way, who cracked up when reading Kim Jongkook is Sunggyu-Myungsoo-Namjoo's father? Isn't that funny though? Can't you guys guess who the Queen is? Come on, it's super duper easy! And I know that Jongkook isn't that old, but I altered the ages so why not? XD

Okay serious matter now. Is anyone of you interested in being my co-author? I'm gonna give a heads up first. You will be writing and contributing to the ideas for the story. I actually have the plot in mind already but I am welcome to a few changes here and there. We will be writing half-half in each chapters, and I'd love it if you can commit? Don't worry about the grammars though, cause I'm not so perfect myself. Plus, I'll be editing here and there...So, anyone? Please?

Don't forget to subscribe, upvote and comment! I work hard on this so please?


 

( h a r l e q u i n. )