Chapter 3 - Midnight Air

Heir of Hearts (Co-author Needed)

 

Midnight Air
_______________________________________________________________________________
                                   "My loyalties lie with you,"

The cold chills of midnight air woke her up. She was never fond of coldness, made her feel all sick and weak. In the corner of her eye,she saw Eunji lying with her upper body on the bed. Naeun’s mouth formed a small smile; this friend of hers had always been so loyal.

She could freely move around, now that Eunji had changed her into one of her night gowns. The simple white dress was nothing compared to what Naeun left back in the palace, but she somehow liked it better. The bandage wrapped around her neck made the girl feel slightly uncomfortable. Her right hand made its way to her neck, touching it gently, fearing that even the slightest touch could hurt her.

It did hurt. She felt an instant pain pressing from the inside, but it was not scorching her like before. Naeun looked out the window. The full moon was the only source of light that the room had. Her nose wiggled, faint smell of burnt up candle entered her nose. It must had been quite a while after Eunji had blew it off.

The girl walked towards the window, enjoying the view from the inside. Aside from the stars and moon, all she could see was a forest of trees. Literally. The small cottage was surrounded by the forest. Though Naeun didn’t seem to be bothered by it much. It gave her the sense of new surroundings, which she always preferred. She turned around, looking at her friend who was sleeping so soundly. A soft laugh escaped from her, Eunji’s sleeping habit never did change, even after the past few years.

Naeun walked out the room. It dawned upon her that she never did saw what the rest of the house looked like. As far as she could remember, she had woken up weakly on Eunji’s bed. She looked around the living room. A boy in his early twenties was sprawled on the cold floor. His body was wrapped tightly with a traditional cotton blanket. He had chubby cheeks which made him look like a baby. Naeun could tell almost immediately that the boy was cold. He was shivering, despite having the blanket wrapped so tightly around him.

“No…Eunji…Can’t look…After Princess…My cat is…Hungry,” The boy murmured.

Guilt fell upon Naeun. The boy and many other people were suffering because of her. If only she had been strong and a little persistent, perhaps this would not have happened.

Cheomal mianhe-yo

The sound of door clicking made the former Princess alarmed. The main door opened, revealing a handsome young lad dressed in a simple white T-shirt and black pants. “Your Highness,” He adressed her.

Naeun remained silent as her eyes looked down to his shirt. It was partially covered in blood, red stains here and there.

“Shirt…Blood…He killed…Her,” Yoseob murmured again. L smirked while the girl stood there motionless, her gaze glued on his shirt.

L suddenly held out his right hand towards the girl, “Your Highness?” He called again.

Naeun averted her gaze from his shirt to his hand, her eyes furrowing in confusion, “W…hy…?” Her voice croaked.

“If you take my hand, than you trust me. If you do not, then I will go away,” He said simply, making the girl look at him with further confusion, “It’s just the outside, Your Highness. Won’t you take a walk with me?”


“Don’t we all love him?” Sungjong questioned.

The lady of the court covered as she yawned, “That is an understatement Prince Sungjong. This is Kim Myungsoo that we are talking about,”

The King nodded, agreeing with his wife, “I do not know what happened, but his sudden coming, all unannounced and stuff, sure is fishy,”

“Techinically Sungyeol-hyung, L-hyung did announce of his upcoming arrival. He sent us a letter,” Sungjong responded, waving a piece of envelope in front of the young king. “And Yookyung noona, stop calling me ‘Prince Sungjong’! You know how much I hate formalities!”

“Ah,” The Queen said, “But that is the whole point my dear brother-in-law,” She smirked.

“Noooonaaa!” The youngest whined.

“Oh shut up Sungjong,” The eldest said, “Now let me take a look at that letter,”

Prince Sungjong obligated to his brother’s words. The latter then took the letter and opened it up. “Don’t you dare read it loudly,” The Queen threatened. Her husband looked at her cheekily and started reading the letter in a sing-song voice.

My dearest brothers,

I am fairly sure that Sungjong will have his hands on this letter first, therefore I will address both of you. In fear that our youngest will throw a fit if I do not..

“Hah, this L! Years of absence and he’s still a smartass? I love this guy,” Sungyeol beamed, earning a frown from Sungjong. The youngest stuck his tongue out to his brother, “King-choding,”

“Says the boy who still does that,” Sungyeol teased, pointing a finger to Sungjong’s tongue. The Queen continued flipping the papers, her eyes hardly reading a word, “Continue, my King,”

“Ahh…Deh yeobo,” The King gave her a nervous laugh.

By the time this letter arrives in Diamonds, I will be scheduling to head back home. As you know, I’ve been absent from public for quite a long time, under my father’s orders, of course. It has been quite a tough few years, but I managed, just barely, if you must know. I do believe that the mission is done, therefore informing my mission will not be a problem anymore, Father will not mind, I am sure of that. My father had sent me to Hearts 2 years ago, he gave me a special mission. I was to inform him if Hearts were planning on any type war upon Spades. The idea seemed quite silly when I first heard it, but now...I finally understood why.

"His at Hearts? Is he joking? That's practically a suicide mission hyung!"

"Uncle had always been fond of gambling. Bigger risks meant bigger rewards," The queen said, mainly towards the youngest.

Sungyeol raised his eyebrows, "You're right jagiya," He agreed, "But using his own son as a pawn? Isn't that too risky?"

"Like I said my King, Uncle is fond of bigger rewards,"

"But this is L-hyung! His son! What if Hearts found out? What if they kill him?"

"Oh shut up Sunjong!" The king snapped, "If L was at risk he would not have the time to write us this letter,"

"Then why now? After all these years, why return now?"

"Do you want him to live in Hearts forever, Brother-in-law?" Yookyung questioned.

"No!"

"Then I see no more reason for us to ask," She answered simply. Sungjong's eyes were hard now, Sungyeol knew that if he did not turn things around, his two most beloved people would go on war. Especially from the younger.

He cleared his through, "There's more,"

When I first arrived, I made a conclusion that Hearts was never really an enemy to fear for. But now, under the new ruling of their new Queen, I am upon to believe otherwise. Their new Queen is the desired one, both strategic and manipulative. She is taking Hearts to a new level of force, one that Spades may need to fear for. However, there's a small secret rebellion going on. Though I'm not quite sure what, I know that it's build to destroy the new Queen.

The nation’s downfall is going to be sooner than expected. People are getting fiercer and more vocal by the minute, and one final act will boil their blood to the maximun. In a nutshell, I'll say that Hearts is not a save place anymore. And for that I will be returning to Spade in less than a fortnight. But of course, I can’t do that without visiting Diamonds. I expect a warm welcome from you two. Ah, I will also be bringing a guest, or perhaps two by the looks of it. I hope you do not mind.

Till then my brothers,

Kim Myungsoo

"Guests?" Sungjong murmured.

"Guests," The king spoke of the same tone, but with less confusion. His eyes went over to the queen. The young lady had just finished reading the reports. She set all the files neatly aside and looked at her husband, "Well than, shouldn't we prepare rooms?"


"You should drink this," The boy said, his hand holding out a small juice pocket. Naeun tilted her head slightly, as if asking What is this?

"Honey and Lemon. They should heal your croaked voice," He stated simply, which earned a nod from the girl. Naeun took the pouch and slowly opened it, drinking it all in one big gulp. Her eyes wondered around, avoiding L's eyes.

"It's not all blood you know," L spoke, gaining the girl's attention. She looked confused, so he continued, "My shirt, it's not all your blood, Your Highness,"

Naeun's lips curved a light frown, her head shook a little too quick, "Do not...Call me that," She managed.

L smiled, "Ah, so it does work,"

Naeun gave him the same confused look.

"I see you can talk better now, Your Highness?"

Her eyes looked at him in bewilderment, "Don't call me that," She said.

"Is that an order?" The lad asked, his voice was filled with a hint of cockiness, as if he was challenging the girl.

Naeun narrowed her eyes, "No,"

"So it's my choice then. Your Highness,"

Naeun looked away, she didn't want him to see her in this state. Not when she was about to crumble. She started walking further from the cottage, hoping to get away from L.

"A Princess is always a Princess," Naeun's steps halted, she turned her heels around and locked her eyes with L. She could have swore that she saw a smirked formed on his lips for a few seconds there.

The lad walked towards her and once again held his hand out, like an offering gesture, "Always a Princess. And a Princess will always need a companion,"

Naeun removed her gaze from the boy, her eyes staring at his hand, hesistating on the decision laid before her.

"Your maid is asleep, so I'm the next best thing you got here," The boy reasoned, "It's just a walk," He persuaded.

Nevertheless, Naeun placed her cold hand on his palm. L grabbed it immediately, holding her hand a little tight to give the girl some warmth. "Do not....Call me Princess," She tried, "And that...Is an order,"

L chuckeled lightly, "But Your Highness, I didn't call you Princess,"

Naeun blinked in confusion. Her mind spinning around to absorb what L had meant. As her mind was racing, L let her further into the woods, his hand never letting go of hers.


"So they didn't kill her?" The newly crowned Princess asked, her face burning with curiousity.

"Woori! I expected better from you. You should have followed my orders and went to bed,"

"I'll have none of that, Mother. Did they kill her or not?"

"No. They didn't,"

"What?"

"Oh Woori, do you perhaps need to get your ears check?"

"Mother! How could they fail? It was an easy task!"

"Hush, killing people takes time. Now listen to me and go to sleep," She ordered.

"How do you expect me to sleep when that girl is out there! Mother, have I no say in this?"

The Queen gave her daughter a sharp stare, "If you must know, alive or not the girl has no right to your crown. You should have known better,"

"Known better? She can steal my title any time Mother! Why must you hire such stupid fools?"

"Language my dear," The oldest warned, "Don't worry about them. They're sentenced....To what they deserved."

"Do you think I even give a damn care about them? No, I do not! What I want is for Naeun to be kill, is that so hard?"

The Queen sighed, she was used to this behaviour from her daughter. All fiesty and hungry for power, always so desperate, so insecure.

"Woori my dear, listen to me," The women started, motioning her daughter to calm down, "That crown and title are yours and no one is going to take that away from you. I can promise you that."

"But Mothe-"

"No buts. I want you to stop acting like a child and go to bed. That pesky girl will be gone in the morning. That, I can promise as well."

The girl looked into her mother's eyes, looking for some sort of confirmation. The Queen was always true to her words, even if she bent a few meanings here and there. "You promised, Mother? I want that girl to be gone s-"

"And be gone she will, but tomorrow. Trust me. Now go to bed,"

Woori reluctantly agree. She got up from the sofa and headed straight towards the door. Before the door closed, Woori caught a glimpse of her mother. The women looked so calm and peaceful. Though Woori knew better. Her mother was ambitious and determined, and the girl just knew that her mother would do anything for her, even that.


Naeun's fingers were still locked with L's when they came across a beautiful scene. In front of them, the night breeze swayed hundreds of little yellow flowers. Though the moon reflected little light, Naeun could clearly tell what was in front of her.

Dandelions. Pretty, sweet and humble, Dandellions.

There was always this thing that seperated herself from the royal family. Unlike her parents and siblings, Naeun had proven to be quite a humble girl. And it showed well on her personality as well as the things she likes. Opposite her step-sister, who was always fond of lucious red Roses, the younger sibling prefered a somewhat more simple Dandellion. And it didn't bother her one bit. She knew that everything in life has its own beauty, and she saw one in Dandellions.This trait of hers made many believe that she would make a kind Queen, but there were also people who saw that as a sign of weakness. But again, Naeun didn't care much.

L softly leaded her into the small field of Dandellions. Around the meadow was nothing but tall trees, though somehow, in the presence of this knigt of hers, the girl didn't feel scared at all. They sat down in the middle, Dandellions surrounding them. Naeun smiled, her hands immediately played with the soft flowers. It had been quite awhile since she had this kind fun and freedom.

Freedom. Are you really free Naeun?

To her right, L watched every move Naeun made. It amazed him how such simple actions and smiles from her made his heart...Bloomed. No, Fluttered? Well what ever it was, there was something. He was sure of it. Seeing her so free made him feel all warm and calm, if there was a moment that he could let his eyes of her, this would be it.

And so he did.

"I remembered you star-gazing. You liked them very much, don't you?" He asked, starting a new conversation.

Naeun looked at the boy, only to realize that his focus was the stars above. She did the same as he did, "Yes, I do,"

"I can see why...They're beautiful,"

Naeun nodded unconciously, "They are. Jaewoo loves them," She whispered with a hint of sadness.

"He sure did," L agreed, "If I didn't follow you here, I would have been assigned to him, I think," He said as his eyes looked at the girl again. L's words alarmed Naeun. She did the same and soon, thier eyes met.

"Why did you follow me, L-goon?" She asked. Her question was not answered immediately. There was a pregnant pause before L finally opened his mouth.

"My loyalties lie with you,"

Naeun stared him in disbelief, "You do know that I am in no shape to pay you?"

"I do,"

"Then...It's still about loyalty?"

"Yes,"

"W...Why? I never did anything for you. Did I?" She questioned again.

Another pause.

L glued his feet to his chest, wrapping them with his long arms, "Do like this, it will make you warm a bit,"

Naeun remained her original posture, still confused by L's words. The lad sighed. He then made the former princess sat in the same position like him, by his own. The boy gently pushed Naeun's legs near her chest. Naeun didn't waver one bit, her mind was still spinning. She was easily confused, always. When the girl was alright, L once again wrapped his legs, placing his head on his knees.

"How am I suppose to stay in the palace when I know you're this fragile?"

Naeun didn't have to speak up and ask what do you mean? L knew his princess all too well.

Fragile, He thought. Too fragile. I simply couldn't leave you.

"I was the youngest among your knights, the maknae they said." L started, smoothly changing the subject. " I started serving you 2 years ago. All the seniors and bulky knights stood front and center. I was pushed to the back, given my, uhm, weak body bulid. Which expained why you never saw me before. You rarely go out, so protecting you was never really a hard job," He smiled.

Naeun shuffled closer, wanting to listen more clearly. Her face showed curiousity and admiration, just like a child listening to a fairytail story.

"Though, when you do go out, You always went to these shelters, especially the ones for children. I saw how you bighten up as you played with them. Both parties were at joy, it was like they were your siblings. I admired that from you, your love for children." He revealed, " I was never like you. I grew up ignoring my little sister everyday."

"You have a sister?" Naeun asked.

"Yes. A year younger than you, if I'm not mistaken,"

"Where is she now?"

He shrugged, "Home I supposed. With Father and Mother,"

"Oh," Naeun responded weakly, "Where do you live L-shii? Which parts of Hearts?"

"None of it. I'm not from Hearts."

"Where do you live then?"

L breathed in the cold air, "Somewhere far away," He answered, eyes gazing at the stars yet again, "Though where ever I am, whether here or there, I could still see the same stars,"

"Same stars?" Naeun looked up the sky, once again admiring the twinkling silver lights, "It's not so far away then, right?"

"Perhaps,"


"Namjoo-ah, isn't this a little too late for a walk?"

The young princess recognized the voice almost immediately. She turned around and saw her brother standing just a few feet from her.

"Oppa, I'm cold,"

"Of course you are! It's freezing cold out here," Her brother said as he walked towards her. The Crown Prince professionally untied all the knots to his cloak, he then wrapped it around his sister, leaving him only in his white sleeping shirt and pants.

"Oh stop nagging Oppa," Namjoo mumbled, "How did you know I was here?"

Her brother's looked completely tired and worned out. He had heavy sets of eye bags under his eyes. "This is Mother's garden. Everyone knows you love it her, Namjoo-ah. Now will you please go to bed? Oppa's tired," He sighed, which made him looked all foolish and...Elderly.

"Then go to sleep Oppa, no one ask you to come down here,"

"Are you crazy? It's like 3 in the morning now. Now please, go to sleep before Father finds you. You know how the old man is like,"

"Hah! I'll tell Father you said that!"

"Said what Namjoo-ah?" He asked, feigning innocence.

"You...You..." She trailed.

"I thought so," Namjoo's brother declared, "Come, let's go to bed,"

"Ara, ara."

_____________________________________________________________________________

 

(A/N).

A long chapter, I hoped you enjoyed reading it. Do tell me what you think, what you want to happen, and oh, of course, the mysterious Crown Prince in the last part. Come on, give me your guesses and thoughts about where you think this story is heading. I've given you clues here and there. Though I think the identity is not that mysterious, right? xD

Subscribe and comment on your thoughts juseyo, it'll make very happy :D

( h a r l e q u i n. )