Action

Spy

(A/N: Snap. My update rate .

This chapter is dedicated to DeepestBlue, whose kind words helped kick this story out of writer's block. Hope you guys enjoy!

Also: Revamped poster! YAAAAY happy days.)


"I got in! I made it, oppa!"

"Cut!"

Ji Eun wearily brought herself to her feet, nearly toppling over from the weight of her costume. This was around the seventh take, if she'd been counting correctly...

Director Lee rose from his seat, making his way to Ji Eun. "Ji Eun-sshi," he began gently, "I feel as if you're not... er, allowing yourself to be joyful." He paused. "You just got into the school of your dreams. Free yourself of your inhibitions! Be like the wind; joyful and free, laughing past everything. Cast off these iron chains of self-doubt and step into the world of unadulterated bliss!"

Ji Eun's shoulders slumped as the director returned to his seat. She knew that she was underperforming. She knew that her 'joy' wasn't coming across as genuine. She knew, she knew, she knew. But how could she act happy when it was her fault that Eun Jung's father was in the hospital?

"Ji Eun-sshi?"

She hadn't even noticed that Woo Young had made his way to her side, concern etched on his features.

She forced a smile. "I'll be fine, Woo Young-sshi."

"You're doing it again," Woo Young said. "You're faking it."

Ji Eun hid her face in her hands. Woo Young gently took her arm.

"Can you think of something happy, Ji Eun-sshi? Like, a good memory or something." Woo Young smiled at her. "It really helps if you wanna genuinely smile."

Ji Eun stared at the floor. She didn't usually have problems acting. She constantly had to do it in front of the Director. In fact, she constantly had to do it in front of Woo Young. It was just... She kept remembering the awful, slick sound of the bullet passing through Eun Jung's father, the screams of the two children, Eun Jung's pale, shaken face...

She felt her hands begin to shake and quickly clasped them behind her back, forcing herself to take a deep breath.

"Ji Eun-sshi..." Woo Young awkwardly touched her shoulder.

"I'm fine," she said, trying for another forced smile.

Woo Young only examined her, face troubled. "Ji Eun-sshi... When you said that I'd met you as IU—"

She winced. "I must've just been delirious," she said. "Please forget it."

Woo Young's eyes fell on her watch. "What's... that?" he said, slowly, almost as if he didn't want to know the answer.

Nothing you're thinking of, I'm sure, she thought. "A watch," she said innocently.

He took her wrist, sending electric shocks up her spine as his fingers absentmindedly whispered over the back of her hand.

"Woo Young-sshi?" Director Lee called. "I hope you realize that we're not starting the loveline quite yet."

Woo Young instantly drew back as someone in the crew whistled, sending a ripple of laughter through those present. Ji Eun ducked her head, feeling fire pouring into her cheeks.

"A-anyways, try to think of a good memory, Ji Eun-sshi," Woo Young stammered, quickly patting the top of her head before withdrawing from the set.

Ji Eun slipped back, waiting for Director Lee's cue as she pondered his words. Good memory? Did she even have one? Her earliest memory was being in martial arts class at around four years old, terrified of the six-foot teachers that constantly scowled down at her. Since then, her life had just been one big training session after another. Espionage. Subterfuge. Self-defense. Shooting. Her only relief had been a mission in which she'd had to enter deep cover as an independent singer. Singing was her only outlet; the only area of her life she could actually control.

Can I just think about singing?

She loved to sing, but it wasn't providing the joy she needed right now.

"Ready on set!" Director Lee called.

Her eyes traveled over the crew, searching for something to help her.

"Three!"

Her gaze fixed on Woo Young.

"Two!"

He crossed his eyes and stuck out his tongue, pulling at his cheeks.

"One!"

She giggled, warmth swelling in her.

"Action!"

Quickly grasping at this sense of happiness, Ji Eun burst from the room, allowing joy to light up every corner of her face.

"I got in! I made it, oppa!"

She whisked out the picture in her pocket and, letting herself be carried away by her temporary freedom, kissed it.


"Update, Secretary?"

Secretary BC, hovering near the doorway of the set, felt a smile cross her face. "Your daughter is performing well."

"That isn't what I meant. Is Agent SR there?"

Secretary BC bit back the impulse to insult the Director and scanned the crew. "Yes. He's there."

"What does he think of her?"

Her eyes cut across to her headpiece. "His first time actually seeing Agent IU, I believe."

"He's seen her before, technically."

"I think you know what I mean, Director. He's seeing IU as IU." Everyone at the Foundation had seen Agent IU. She was the Director's daughter. But judging from the way that Agent SR was looking at Agent IU... "Actually, Director, we may have a bit of a problem."

"What? Agent IU suspects him?"

"No." Secretary BC tilted her head. "I think that Agent SR has already fallen for Agent IU."


"Aaaand cut! We're done for the day!"

Ji Eun slumped against the doorway, pressing her cheek to the cold wood and giving a sigh. It had been a long and arduous day of filming, but all the audition scenes had been completed.

"Thirsty?" Woo Young tossed a water bottle—heavenly cold—at her. She caught it deftly. "That costume looks hot."

Against her will, she felt herself flush. He didn't mean that sort of hot.

"Yeah," she said, clearing . "I need to visit the costume department to get it off right now."

Woo Young froze for a moment.

Ji Eun frowned. "Something wrong?"

Woo Young almost jumped. "N-no!" he blustered, waving his hands. "It's fine! Go! To the costume department! And the makeup department. And whatever else. I'll, uh, meet you back at my house? J-just because you're staying there—you know, not—uhhhh—yeah, I'm just gonna goooooo!" And he was off.

Ji Eun felt a giggle bubble out of . It had been a while since she'd seen Woo Young's flustered side. Lately, he'd been looking at her with a pensive expression; probably because she'd been stupid enough to tell him that she was IU.

She wished she hadn't said anything at all.

"Uh, excuse me. Ji Eun-sshi?"

Ji Eun looked up. One of the crew was standing before her, holding her script binder. The spy part of her briskly noted that his posture and sense of balance were extraordinary. She'd bet that he was the athletic type. 

"Yes?" she asked, giving a friendly smile.

"Your script binder," the crew member said. "And the styling department says that they're ready for you."

"Thank you," she said, accepting the binder. She leapt to her feet and raced away, eager to finally be rid of this awful costume.

She didn't notice the crew member watching her as she left.


(A/N: And the plot thickens. DUN DUN DUN.

Please leave a comment, if you would be so inclined. They really do make my day.)