I can't help but think I'm being pushed down your priority list...

In Between Today and Forever

It’s the day of the group’s departure to Tokyo and Tao sighs as he puts Kris’ microwaveable food he’s prepared for his fiancé before he leaves the house. It’s 10 in the morning and their flight is at 3, no time to actually see Kris before he goes to the airport and spend a week-long vacation with their friends. He closes the fridge and walks his way to the shower to prepare himself before Sehun and Luhan picks him up so they can meet the rest at the airport.

An hour later he gets a call from Luhan saying they’re on their way to his apartment and that he should be ready to leave anytime. Which he is, physically, but emotionally, he’s having thoughts of leaving his hard-working partner alone just so he can have a bit of fun. He checks his phone and he kind of wants to cry because there’s no message from Kris and he’s about to leave and all he got yesterday was a lazy and a lazy kiss this morning before Kris left for work. Tao misses Kris already, physically, intimately and…

His thoughts are cut off when insistent knocks on the door disturbs him. Tao reluctantly opens the door to a grinning Luhan and stoic Sehun, “Come on!!! Hurry!” the older greets him, and Sehun walks in and drags Tao’s suitcase out. “I can do it.” Tao tells the couple but the maknae is already dragging Tao along with his suitcase.

“WAIT! I still have my carry-on inside the bedroom. Gosh, why are we hurrying, anyway?” Tao pulls his arm away from Sehun’s grip and trudges his way into the bedroom and takes his backpack before locking the door behind him. “I’m not taking my car, by the way. It’ll be expensive to have it parked at the airport.” Tao tells the couple as they make their way downstairs, he gets a chuckle in response.

“WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE BOTH OF YOU? Honestly.” Tao asks and Sehun just laughs it off. Tao decides to ignore the couple’s behavior and walks out of the building, only to gasp in surprise and runs towards the guy leaning against the car and jumps on Kris immediately, “WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?!”

“I’m taking you to the airport. Come on. I only have 3 hours before I go back to the office.” Kris kisses the side of Tao’s head before opening the car door for his fiancé and circling around to get to the driver’s seat, “You two, hop in. I’m on a tight schedule.” Sehun puts Tao’s suitcase in the trunk and jumps in the backseat where Luhan is already waiting for him.

“You knew?” Tao asks the couple in the backseat and Sehun rolls his eyes, “Of course we do, princess.” Tao rolls his eyes before turning his attention back to Kris, “Is that why you’re kinda ignoring me this morning?” The young Chinese squints his eyes at Kris and the blond just laughs, “Kind of.”

Tao pouts playfully and crosses his arms over his chest, “I almost bailed out of this vacation because I miss you already.”

Kris laughs and kisses Tao on the cheek when the light turned red, despite the puking sounds the couple behind them are making, “I shouldn’t have surprised you so I can keep you here with me.”

“OH NO. We’re gonna abduct Tao anyway.” Luhan interjects and Kris glares at him through the rear-view mirror. The older Chinese cowers behind Sehun in fear. “Hyung, stop scaring my boyfriend. Please.”

Kris furrows his brows and continues to drive. Tao giggles next to him and his hand squeezes Kris’, “Thank you.”

-----

“You’re here! I mean, you’re here.” Joonmyun greets them but eyes focused on Kris, the taller blond scratches the back of his neck, “You all know I can’t just send my fiancé away without saying goodbye or forcing everyone to just leave Tao behind.” Kris feels a soft slap against his shoulder and he turns to see Tao grinning at him. “Get yourself checked in before I change my mind.” Kris tells the younger and leans down to kiss him. Tao sighs into the kiss before walking away with everyone to get themselves checked in.

“First time Tao leaving the country without you, bro?” Chanyeol asks next to him, Kris nods. “You’ll get used to it. Baekhyun often leaves the country without me or I go out of Seoul without him.”

“You don’t live together. It’s just different when you come home and he’s there waiting for you.”

Chanyeol shrugs his shoulders and sighs, “Baekhyun and I… I cant make that decision yet. It’s a huge step, even if it’s just like getting a roommate but we’re invested in each other that I cant take that huge step.” Kris claps his shoulder and gives it a slight squeeze, “Tao mentioned it. Baekhyun’s waiting for you to ask him to move in.”

“Which isn’t gonna happen any sooner. Not yet, I really cant.”

“Nobody’s forcing you. Just take it one step at a time.”

“Kris!” Tao calls out and Kris turns to catch his fiancé just in time when the younger falls on him, “Coffee! Let’s grab coffee before you go.”

“Alright.” Kris takes his lover to the nearby Starbucks. Tao wraps his arms around the older. They stay in comfortable companionship until Tao's flight is called to board. "I'll see you in 7 days, alright?" The younger tells Kris as the two of them walks to the group.

"Yeah. I love you." Kris kisses Tao and the younger tells him he loves him too before waving goodbye to his lover.

-----

"Will you please stop checking your phone?" Baekhyun tells Tao as he changes his clothes. They're to go to Kyoto to check out the Gion district for maikos and geishas. Tao pouts and sighs, "It's been two days. He hasn't been calling me and I can't help but worry."

"Darling, your boyfriend unfortunately decided to be an adult rather early and he's slumped with work. He's fine! We're here to have fun, okay?" Baekhyun throws Tao his coat, "Come on. They're all waiting in the lobby."

The younger takes the coat and checks his phone. Kris hasn't called, but he's texted at least thrice a day but Tao wants more. Baekhyun notices Tao checking his phone again from behind him and he turns to face the other while they're still in the hallway, "Tao. Stop."

"I'm not doing anything..."

"It's you're attention-seeking self kicking in again. We've talked about this, remember? Kris is a working man and he won't be able to give his 100% attention to you anymore. He'll call if he can, he'll contact you when he can."

Tao bites his lower lip and nods, "O...okay. I'm sorry." He apologizes and tucks his phone in his bag, but not before sending Kris a text message:

To: Forever <3
Sent: 8:03:28 AM

Off to Kyoto. :)


He manages to smile at his friends when they all greet him in the lobby when they reach them. The 7 of them walks towards the subway station and Joonmyun buys all of their subway tickets. It takes almost 5 hours before they reach the area so Tao decides to take a nap on Kyungsoo's shoulder.

The trip itself is tiring but it was well-worth it when they boarded out of the train. The sakura trees are in bloom, and young maikos are walking along the streets of the district. They enter in and out of ancient-looking okiyas which make the group gasp in astonishment.

"This is like a whole different world from Tokyo. Amazing how they're able to preserve the culture..." Joonmyun exclaims, the rest nods their heads in amusement. "Can we go to the ochaya and watch them perform?" Luhan asks and Kyungsoo shakes his head, "We'd have to cut our vacation in half if we do. They're expensive back in the day and I doubt that they've become cheaper overtime."

Tao takes out his camera and starts taking pictures of the scenery, of his friends, the food. The group has decided to stay in Kyoto overnight since there's also a festival happening later in the day. "Are we staying in an inn or are we gonna wander around until tomorrow morning?" Kai asks and the group talk amongst themselves to make a decision. Tao takes a snap shot of the debate and it makes him chuckle, "Let's just wander around, it's gonna be an adventure." He comments and turns away from the group, he takes more pictures of the civilians walking along the road and snaps a picture of a toddler who has walked up to him.

"Nii-chan..."* The little boy mumbles and Tao squats down so he's eye-level to him. "Sore wa nande su ka?"** The toddler points at Tao's camera and even if Tao has zero knowledge of the language he tells the little boy that it's a camera, "Kamera...?" The little boy repeats and Tao nods. "See. Here. Pictures." Tao moves closer to the boy so that the toddler can see the pictures on his screen. The little boy exclaims excitedly when he sees himself on the screen, "Boku..?"***

Tao smiles and puts the camera in front of the boy, "Smile." He says and the toddler does the cutest thing by puffing his cheeks and holding up a V-sign with his tiny fingers. Tao takes a picture and the toddler giggles.

"Naoyuki!!!" A scream comes from a corner and Tao looks up to find a pair of males running up to him, the taller of the two bows in front of Tao, "Gomenasai." The young Chinese furrows his brows, the other male whose features doesn't really look Japanese takes the toddler by the hand and bows his head in front of Tao, too, "Gomenasai. Watashi no musuko wa mise no soto ni hata..."**** the brunette stops when he realizes that Tao isn't understanding a word. "Naoyuki." He starts and pats the boy's head, then gestures to himself and the other male, "Our son."

"Ahhh..." Tao nods, the taller of the two then continues, "Ran away. Naoyuki ran away."

"He's really cute." Tao casually says and the couple laughs, "Aregato." The shorter smiles and carries the toddler, Naoyuki puts his head on the brunette's shoulder, "Bokuwa, Takeshi-des."

"Amano-des." The raven-haired Japanese supplies, "Aregato."

"You go to festival later?" Takeshi asks and Tao nods, he turns to see his friends watching silently then turns back to the couple, "With friends."

"We dress you in hakama. We rent you hakama free. You come to store." Amano tells Tao and the Chinese gasps in surprise, "You don't have to! It'll be bad for your business to supply us with expensive clothes!"

"Bad to lose Naoyuki." Takashi smiles and lovingly brushes the hair of his son who's already dozing off in his arms. Amano gives Tao his card, "We insist. You come maybe 5pm."

"O-okay..." Tao takes the card, the couple bows to him again and they say their farewells before turning to leave. Tao watches as Amano gives Takeshi a loving kiss and then ruffling their son's hair as they walk on. He sighs then turns to the group, "What?"

"You'll be a good dad. You looked happy playing with that kid." Luhan comments and Tao laughs without taking his eyes off the Japanese couple.

"Oh please..." He smiles and imagines Kris adoring a kid, a kid Tao holds and his heart jumps because starting a family with Kris is going to be amazing. He turns to the group, "So, what's the plan?"

"We'll decide later after my gift." Joonmyun announces as he checks his watch, "We should go or we'll be late." He tells the group and starts walking without taking his eyes off from the map on his phone. Not more than ten minutes later, they arrive at the Gion Kobu Kaburenjo Theater and Joonmyun hands each of them a ticket, "We're watching the Miyako Odori."

All the others light up and immediately fall in line. The show included the tea ceremony and they're left in awe. By the time the show finished, everyone's hungry again - food from the train long gone. Once they're done, Tao checks the card Amano handed to him earlier, "You think we should take Amano's offer?"

"I think we should. Japanese people might be offended if we ignore them." Kyungsoo suggests, the rest nods. "Shall we go?" Kai asks but Sehun stops them, "What are we going to do first? Are we staying here? The rest of our stuff is still in Tokyo but the last train back there will probably run even before the festival is finished."

"Let's just wander around until the morning." Baekhyun tells the group, but Joonmyun shakes his head, "Let's stay in an inn. We're probably gonna be drunk after and I'd love to sleep."

"Then let's find a place we can book already." Luhan insists and they all agree. They walk around the district, along the streets where Amano's store should be. They find a not-too-expensive inn and left some of their unnecessary stuff before heading to Amano's store.

"NII-CHAN!!!" The little boy from before greets Tao and the young Chinese carries the toddler in his arms.

"You came. Hakama ready." Takeshi smiles at them and leads them one by one inside a dressing room and helps them change their clothes. Tao comes last since he's still playing with Naoyuki. Once they're done, the couple tells them to leave their clothes in the store and that they should return by 10 in the evening before they close.

They say their thanks before leaving the store again, "We look amazing." Luhan gushes and they start taking pictures of themselves. Tao takes out his phone to take a selca and finally manages to notice that he did in fact ignore his phone all day. He sees 3 messages from Kris:

From: Forever <3
Received: 10:10:23 AM

Take care and have fun.


From: Forever <3
Received: 2:30:54 PM

How's Kyoto?


From: Forever <3
Received: 5:12:54 PM

Staying over time in the office. I miss you.


Tao smiles and takes a selca in his hakama with the Japanese lanterns lining the streets as his background. He attaches the picture in his message before sending it out to Kris.


To: Forever <3
Sent: 5:57:24 PM

In my hakama! I wish you're here. Kyoto is so beautiful. I have so much to tell you when I come home! I miss you, too. <3 


Tao pockets his phone and takes out his camera to start taking pictures of the night scenery of Kyoto as their group walks their way to the shrine. The group prays for good health and luck first before spreading out to find food and drinks to enjoy. They talk about some of their plans in the future as Baekhyun takes Tao's camera and browses through the pictures he's taken, "Don't you want to be a photographer, Tao?"

"Me? You think I'll be good?"

"Yeah. You have amazing shots." Baekhyun tells the younger and hands the camera to the curious Sehun and Luhan, "You should shift courses, what are you gonna do with World History?"

Tao shrugs, "I don't know. I don't think any of my previous subjects can be recognized if I do shift. I'll end up as a first year again."

"And so?" Luhan asks, and the rest giggles, the young Chinese sighs, "I'm engaged. We're getting married after I graduate, shifting a course would mean holding it back again for another year..."

"I'm sure he loves you enough to wait some more." Kai adds and Tao smiles, "I'll talk to him, but really... Do you think I have the potential to be a photographer?"

The rest of the group nods and it makes Tao happier inside, not that he hates the course he's majoring in, but photography is his hobby that he hasn't paid attention in a while and to think that his friends think he's still skilled enough to do it professionally makes him rethink his future.

"We'll see." He smiles, but inside, he's hopeful that Kris can be supportive about this, too.

-----

The vacation ends all too quickly for Tao, a few days later, and all of his friends with him are sending him off to the airport back to Seoul, "Are you going to be okay? Have you talked to Kris? Is he picking you up?"

"Kyungsoo-hyung, I'm fine! I haven't really talked to Kris, like talk. But I'm coming at night, I'm sure he'll be able to pick me up." He smiles and waves goodbye to his friends. He tries to call Kris on his way to his boarding station, but couldn't connect in time so he opts to text his fiance that he's about to leave Narita.

Two hours into the flight and 10 minutes in Starbucks later inside Incheon airport and the only message that he's received on his phone from Kris is a simple, 'Got it. See you in a bit.'

Annoyed, Tao checks his phone and it's only 9 in the evening and Kris should have been here already. He dials the blond's number and he almost screams when Kris answers with his bedroom voice, "Where are you?!"

'! What time is it?!'

"I'm here in Incheon! Kris, I can't believe it! Did you fall asleep?!"

'I'm so sorry. I'll be on my w-'

"Forget it. I'll call a cab. Just... Go back to bed."

'I'm actually still in the office...'

Tao huffs in utter annoyance, he misses Kris, yes, but this isn't how he's expected to be greeted once he's back in South Korea. "Then go home!" He almost yells and ends the conversation. He sighs and he almost wants to cry because he's too frustrated. He should have just extended his stay in Japan if he's gonna end up with another argument with Kris when he gets home anyway.

The ride back home is silent, no follow up calls or texts from Kris and Tao already has a heavy bile lodged in his throat and he just wants to sleep it all off. He gets off the cab and finds Kris' car next to his on the parking lot and he defeatedly drags his suitcase inside the apartment. Tao isn't surprised to see the door unlocked and he finds Kris in the middle of the room with his arms across his chest, "Look, Tao-"

"Not tonight. I'm exhausted." He sends a glare at Kris and heads inside the bedroom and locks the door. The blond sighs and it's obviouly him and the couch tonight.

Kris must be lying awake on the couch for at least 20 minutes in silence when he hears the soft sobs coming from the bedroom. He stays still as he tries to focus on the sounds and he isn't mistaken, Tao is crying. He pads quietly to the bedroom and uses his spare key to open the door. The sobbing stops after a sharp intake of air and he sees Tao's breathing still for a second.

"Go away. The door is locked for a reason."

Kris doesn't listen and moves inside, closing the door behind him. "Zitao, let's talk."

"You barely even talked to me when I was away, what's there to talk about now?" Tao shoots back without turning his body to face Kris. He buries himself deeper under the blanket after the weight of the space on the bed behind him dips, "Can't you let me cry alone in peace?!"

"Tao, I'm so sorry. I was just really busy and I've been lacking sleep the past few days. I didn't mean to miss your flight, I just couldn't help it. I took a nap and before I knew it, you've landed."

Tao sniffles, "I can't help but think I'm being pushed down your priority list..."

Kris sighs and lies next to Tao, he turns his body and wraps an arm around the younger. Tao tries to squirm away but the blond only pulls him closer, "I'm really sorry. You're my priority. You will always be, but this is for our future."

"I know, but I don't understand why your work has to take so much of your time... You've been there barely a month and you're working like a slave."

Kris sighs and rests his head on Tao's shoulder, "So I can climb higher up the ladder and give us the best future we can have."

"That's nice and all," Tao sniffles but his sobbing has finally subsided, "But I want it better if you can be with me, even if not all the time because I know you're working now but Kris, I need you, too."

"Okay, okay. I'll lessen the overtime. I'm so sorry."

Tao sighs and turns to face Kris, "Promise?"

"Yeah." The blond rests his forehead on Tao's, "You're here now, I have a reason to go home."

Tao pouts, "Now you're just making me feel guilty about having a vacation."

Kris chuckles and smiles, "I didn't mean it that way. I didn't like going home because I miss you. When I stay at the office, I get a lot of paperworks and I get distracted, I'm so sorry I kind of lost focus on you, too."

"We promised each other we'll work things out, right? Let's start over, okay?" Tao looks up at Kris and the blond nods, "Okay."

"Now go to sleep. You have an early day tomorrow." Tao buries his head on Kris' chest and the blond pulls him closer, "Good night, Babe."

Tao hums and hugs Kris tighter, "Love you."

"Love you, too."

-----

The next morning, Kris wakes up to a nice breakfast and a fiance in a better mood than yesterday. The younger runs to him and hugs him the moment he steps out of the bedroom, "It's no joke, Kris... You're losing weight." Tao looks at him from head to toe, "Have you been eating right?"

Kris shakes his head with a grunt, "Sometimes I forget."

Tao tsks and glares at the blond, "No wonder the food I left for you seemed untouched." The younger scans the apartment and grunts, "And our home's dusty."

"Sorry about that."

Tao tiptoes and pecks Kris, "I'm here now, I'll take care of everything. Just keep your promise, okay?"

"I will." Kris hugs Tao tighter and he paddles his way to the kitchen with the younger clinging on to him, "I missed real food." The blond tells Tao and the younger chuckles, "What have you been eating for breakfast?"

"Nothing. I drink a cup of coffee and go."

"No can do!" Tao starts and sits on Kris' lap as he always does in the morning, "I don't like a skinny fiance, okay?"

"Alright. Make me gain back my weight."

"I will." Tao kisses Kris' cheek and they start eating their breakfast together - argument tucked inside the drawers of the numbers of fights they've place there without proper closure.

When Kris leaves the apartment, Tao rolls up his sleeves and starts to clean, starting by gathering all the scattered clothes Kris has left here and there in almost all the rooms. "Slob." Tao chuckles as he goes to the balcony where their washing machine is ready for the task at hand. He leaves Kris' clothes inside the tub and runs inside the bedroom to grab his dirty clothes from the trip washed as well. Once the machine starts running, he returns to the bedroom and starts to unpack everything he's brought and bought. He takes his camera and browses through the photos, and he sighs, "Maybe not this year..." He whispers to himself and turns off the camera.

Tao starts to clean the entire house until it's sparkly and shiny to his taste - even brokenheartedly throwing out the food he left for Kris that has been uneaten. Once he's done, he finishes the laundry and hang the clothes to dry. Tao takes a deep breath and checks the clock on the wall - 2:46 pm. He missed his lunch. Tao chuckles, "Busy people really do forget to eat..." He takes out a box of cereal and decides to just eat this before he takes a much needed shower and rest.

Tao wakes up from his nap an hour later and he calls Kris. Thankfully, the blond picks up.

"What do you want for dinner?"

'Wanna drop by the office? We can just eat out. I know you, I'm pretty sure you cleaned all day.'

"Are you sure you want me to come?"

'Yeah. I'll wait for you.'

"Be there in an hour."

Tao ends the call and immediately takes another quick shower. After he's out, he checks his phone and there's a message that tells him to bring his car. The younger sighs but tries not to be pissed because of course, he can already see himself going home alone after dinner. He smiles to himself and takes even breaths to calm himself, "We're adjusting... This is a new beginning." He changes his clothes and leaves the apartment to go to Kris' office.

Tao talks to the Information desk and he's told of Kris' floor and room number. He sees the door and it's got the names of the people inside the room, he smiles when he finds Kris' name there: Wu Yifan - Political Analyst. Tao feels pride soaring and disappointment leaving him knowing that Kris really is working hard for the both of them. He takes a deep breath and knocks three times before opening the door, he raises an eyebrow when he finds the Kim Kibum sitting on one of the tables reading a document. "Tao!" The younger male turns to his right and Kris calls him over, he walks to his fiance and gives him a brief hug, "Wasn't he... Taemin's boyfriend?"

"They broke up 6 months ago? I think. Nevermind them, so? Ready?" Kris sounds cheerful, Tao looks at the pile of papers on Kris' desk, he sighs and tiptoes so he can whisper against Kris' ear, "You're going back here after dinner, aren't you?"

Kris scratches the back of his neck, "W-well, that's..."

Tao smiles and ruffles Kris' hair, "This is okay, too." At least that didn't sound as forced as he thought it would be.

-----------------------

Author's Notes: Sorry for the late (and maybe lame?) update! I've been really busy and lazy and I think I'm just saying a lot of excuses but yeah.

Translations:
* Big brother
** What is that?
*** Me...?
**** Sorry. My son ran out of the store.

 

BY THE WAY. Takeshi and Amano are actually Saga (Sakamoto Takeshi) and Tora (Shinji Amano) of Alice Nine. One of my most favorite visual kei bands in Japan. Say hello to my OTP~~!! (and yes i crossover fandom, dont stop me.)

Saga:

Tora:

And Naoyuki is just Nao from the same band, but he's the baby and i have no baby picture of him. hahaha