Do you think I'm unfair?

In Between Today and Forever

"Are you ready?! Are you ready?!!" Tao bursts into the bedroom and finds Kris in front of the mirror. The younger sighs and walks to his fiance. "What's wrong?"

"I don't know what tie to wear."

"Oh dear..." Tao smiles, takes the blue and gray striped tie from Kris and loops it around his fiance's neck, "You're so relaxed."

"It's just my graduation." Kris shrugs, Tao grins and pulls his fiance closer by his tie, "It's another step..."

Kris smiles and leans down to kiss Tao, "And in 3 years it will be yours and we can finally get married."

Tao nods enthusiastically before fixing Kris' tie again, "So today, you have to finish getting ready or we'll be late."

Tao is fixing the creases on the blond's shirt when there's a knock on the front door. "Are we expecting someone?" The younger asks, the blond scratches the back of his neck, "Aish, I told her to go straight to the venue."

"Her?"

Kris doesn't answer but instead takes Tao's hand and walks to the door. The blond sighs deeply first before opening the door to an elegant lady standing in the corridor.

"Hi, mom."

"You're Mrs. Wu!??" Tao exclaims and immediately releases Kris' hand, "I... I'm..."

"You're the one and only, 'love of my life' Tao, I guess?"

"Oh god, that was embarassing." Tao facepalms for a second before telling Mrs. Wu to get inside. "I'm... It's nice to finally meet you, ma'am. I... I didn't know you were coming. I could have prepared dinner!"

"Tao, babe, calm down. Mom, are you staying here?"

"Nope. I checked in somewhere. Are you done? You're gonna be late."

"I'm gonna grab my phone and wallet." Kris leaves Tao and his mom in the living room. Tao couldn't help but feel awkward around her when the older woman is eyeing him from head to toe.

"Are you scared of me?" The woman asks and Tao shyly nods. Mrs. Wu chuckles and walks towards the younger boy, "Kris tells me how much you take care of him, I'm really grateful."

"T-thank you, Mrs. Wu."

"Mom. You're already engaged, right?"

Tao nods again, "Thank you, m-mom."

At that moment, Kris emerges out of the bedroom, Tao sees him and sighs, "Excuse me, mom. For some reason, he's an airhead today." The ravenhaired announces and walks to the bedroom. He gets out with Kris' toga and cap in hand, "Really?"

Kris chuckles, "Sorry."

"Let's go, you two." Kris' mother tells the couple and the three of them leaves the apartment.

-----

"I can't believe they're graduating already!" Luhan sniffles next to Sehun and Tao. Kris' mother is somewhere in front, taking pictures of Kris much to her son's dismay. Sehun chuckles next to his boyfriend, "You're graduating just a year before me, don't worry."

Luhan looks up to meet Sehun's gaze, "That's true. A lot changes if we're apart."

Tao looks at Luhan, "Y-you really think so...?"

"I... It's just my opinion! I'm sure you two will be fine!" Luhan tries to not sound too awkward and defensive.

"Are we late??!!" Jongdae and Yixing arrives, Baekhyun and Chanyeol follows with Kyungsoo and Kai. "Just in time." Tao smiles at the others, "Too many students graduating, when do this finish? We're only here for 3 students!" Baekhyun complains, Chanyeol just pats his back.

"Wait, do we have plans tonight?" Kai asks, the rest shrugs. Tao speaks, "I think Kris and I are having dinner with his mom."

"That's Kris' mom?!! The woman you were talking to at the entrance?!" Sehun exclaims rather loudly that Luhans clasps his hand over his boyfriend's mouth. Tao nods, Sehun removes Luhan's hand from his face, "I thought she's an alumni visiting a sister or brother! She looked young!"

"Ooohhh... Meeting the parent!" Baekhyun teases and nudges Tao's ribs, the youngest Chinese chuckles, "Mom's really nice."

"Ohhhhh. Mooooom!!!" Jongdae teases too and it makes the group laugh a little. "Stop it guys." Tao tells them with a huge smile on his face. Tao then checks his phone when it rings to an unknown number, "Hello?"

'Darling, come join me here. Kris will be called soon to come up and down the stage in a bit.'

"Y-yes, mom." Tao tells the woman on the other end of the line before putting the phone back into his pocket, "I have to go to where she's seated. Call me later if we have plans, okay? We'll try to catch up after dinner." The ravenhaired boy tells his friends before standing up from his seat and goes down to where Mrs. Wu is waiting for him.

Tao didn't have a hard time looking for Mrs. Wu when she's flashing her camera for her son, the younger finds it funny and amusing at the same time.

"Mom..."

"Hey, darling! Please don't mind me. I just know it's gonna be a long time until I see my baby boy."

"Why not visit yearly? Or we'll visit you, too."

The woman puts down her camera and faces Tao, "Didn't he tell you?" She asks, and the look of confusion on Tao's face tells his answer. The woman sighs and looks longingly at Kris in line.

"He hates his Canadian stepdad. I... I already have a new family in Canada. He has a younger brother and sister with him, and... His stepdad, he's got strong Christian values and hated him for being gay."

"I didn't know. He only talked about you... I was already wondering why he left you alone."

The woman smiles, "I'm not alone. The reason why I couldn't accept it at first was because I was afraid of what his stepdad will think of him. They were close... I mean, he's become Kris' father figure since he was 14 after the ugly divorce with his real dad."

Tao is about to say something when the announcer onstage announces Kris' name.

"Bachelor of Arts, Major in Political Science, Wu Yifan."

'Yifan?' Tao thinks, he can't help but feel bad because eight months into a relationship and today's the day he learns his fiance's real name.

Kris mother leans onto to whisper all the while taking pictures of his son, "He's stopped using his Chinese name since the divorce when he was 12."

"I have a lot to know about him..." Tao mumbles, the woman next to him gives him a side hug, "You'll have a lot of time to know each other. That's just how my eldest is, he hates talking about his family."

Tao smiles at her but there's still a nagging feeling in his chest that he cannot explain, it's not betrayal, he isn't even lied to, but it kind of that he's engaged to half a stranger.

"Hey!"

Tao's thoughts are cut off when his fiance runs to them, Kris hugs Tao and envelops the younger inside his toga. His mother chuckles across them, "Wow. Priorities."

"Oh, mom. I love you, too." Kris leans forward to kiss his mother, sandwiching Tao between them.

"You. I love the most." Kris grins and kisses Tao on the cheek, "I hate her cherry-flavored lip gloss. I don't want you to taste it." Kris tells Tao and hugs him closer before releasing him again, the blond stands proudly in front of them, brandishing his medals of recognition for being an accomplished member of the Student Council and as captain of the basketball team, "Aren't I both your pride and joy right now?"

The two across him laughs, "Go back to your seat, Kris." His mom tells him, Tao hugs his fiance, "I'm so proud of you, I love you the most, too." The younger kisses his cheek before pushing the blond back to where he's seated.

The ceremony ends and the 12 friends meet outside the hall. The three graduated students being flanked by the 9 who haven't finished their university studies yet. "On three?" Minseok asks Joonmyun and Kris, the other two nods and the 3 of them throws their caps into the air. The twelve of them pose for the cameras of the parents of those who've graduated.

"Party later at my house, okay?" Joonmyun tells the other 11, "Come around 10. Me and the family are going out for dinner first."

"See you guys later!" Jongdae waves everyone goodbye and they all separate their own ways.

Kris hands Tao his toga and cap then loosens his tie as the three of them make their way to Kris' car, "Don't you think this car is quite old?"

"I love it, anyway."

"Hmph." His mother chuckles, "Then I won't have to give you this anymore."

Kris gasps loudly when his mother hands him a set of new car keys, "MOM?!"

"Happy graduation, son."

"Mom!" Kris hugs his mother, "I love you. Thank you!"

"Awww, what will happen to your baby now?" Tao asks as he watches his fiance hug his mother tight. Kris lets go of the woman and takes Tao's hand and gives him his old car's keys, "Of course she's going to be yours."

"Mine?"

"What's mine is yours." Kris hugs Tao. The blond faces his mother, "Where is it then?"

"Pick it up at the car store tomorrow. I'll give you the address, but for now, drive us to the hotel. I made reservations for dinner."

-----

"How long are you staying here?" Kris asks his mother as they start eating their dinner. "I'm only here for 2 days. I leave the day after tomorrow, I have to be at the airport by 5am."

"Carter didn't want you away for too long, huh?"

"Not just Carter. Elaine and Joshua needs their mother too."

Kris rolls his eyes, "Uh-huh."

Tao clears his throat in an attempt to make his presence known, Kris leans over to whisper his apologies then turns back to his mother. "I see. Well, I can drive you to the airport."

"Why not stay with me tomorrow night? The both of you."

"I think the both of you should catch up alone. I can be with you tomorrow, but I'd rather have Kris stay with his mom overnight." Tao tells the woman, she beams and Kris pouts.

"Babe, you're throwing me out?"

"Kinda."

Tao and Mrs. Wu laughs. "What are your plans, son?"

"I actually have an offer to become a Political Analyst in the mayor's office. I asked them to give me at least a month worth of rest and I'll report in their office after."

"You're leaving Tao alone during the summer break?" Mrs. Wu asks and Kris laughs, "I work 8-5, I'll be home in less than half an hour anyway."

"It's okay, mom. We've talked about this before." Tao smiles, "It's better for the both of us."

"Awesome." Mrs. Wu smiles and finishes her food, "I shouldn't keep the both of you here, you have a party to attend to."

They walk Mrs. Wu to her room before leaving the hotel and promising to come back tomorrow. Tao checks his watch once they're inside the car, "It's only 8. Let's drop by the apartment first, I want to take another shower."

"Hey."

Tao turns to Kris, "Hmn?"

"You're amazing today. I told you she loves you."

"And I think she does." Tao smiles and leans closer to kiss his fiance on the cheek.

Once they're back in their apartment, Kris pulls Tao against him for a kiss, "I love you." He kisses him again, "Three more years, babe."

"I can't wait." Tao smiles as their noses brush against each other. Kris kisses him again, "Where's my gift?"

Tao bites his lower lip and drags Kris into the bedroom. The younger leaves Kris by the doorway and rummages through his drawer.

"I'm glad I didn't have to rebook this, by the way." Tao hands Kris 2 plain tickets. The blond raises an eyebrow, "Plane tickets to China? You're really kicking me out!?"

"Babe!" Tao stomps his feet and produces another pair of plane tickets, "I told you before, right? I'll show you the places where I grew up in. Mama and papa are waiting for you."

"Oh god, these are perfect." Kris smiles and puts the tickets on the drawer. He moves closer to Tao, takes his fiance's tickets and places it along with his own. "What are you doing?" Tao asks innocently as Kris leans closer to his face.

"Kissing my future husband." Kris grins and kisses Tao. The older pulls the other closer, he releases the younger and hugs him tight, "I love you, babe."

"I love you, too. We should get ready for that party."

-----

"Cheers!" The 12 of them toast their wine glasses and take a sip. "So, what are your plans?" Kyungsoo asks the three who've graduated.

"I start work at the mayor's office next month." Kris tells the group.

"I'm going to study in Australia for my masters degree." Joonmyun adds, Minseok shrugs his shoulders. "I'm gonna be a choreographer for children in a dance school near here."

"That's nice. At least you all have plans." Chanyeol comments, Baekhyun sighs, "And we have to start planning our lives! It will be our graduation next year!"

"Ugh. I don't know what will become of me." Jongdae grunts, Kyungsoo pats his back, "You can be a vocal coach, Jongdae! You have an amazing voice."

The party goes on until late at night. Everyone sleeps over in Joonmyun's place since everybody ended up drunk afterwards.

Tao watches Kris silently snoring next to him when they're both lying in the guest room they share with Minseok and Jongdae on the other bed.

"Nothing will change, right...?" He asks quietly, the blond's cheek. Tao bites his lower lip before hugging the other close and proceeds to sleep.

-----

Kris decided to let Tao and his mother go shopping the next day after he picked up his brand new car, making him the unfortunate bag carrier and designated driver.

After an exhausting day, they drop Tao off at the couple's apartment. "I'll see you tomorrow after I take her to the airport." Kris tells Tao after walking to their front door while his mother waits in the car.

"Sure. You have your keys, right?"

"Yup. I love you." Kris gives him a quick peck on the lips before leaving.

Mrs. Wu and Kris are having dinner in a Chinese restaurant near her hotel when his mother speaks, "Tao doesn't know about Carter?"

Kris looks up from his plate, "You told him?"

"Yifan..."

"It's Kris."

His mother sighs, "Kris. You're engaged to him, how could you leave that out?"

"I've left Carter and your new family out of my life for 4 years ever since I've come out as gay. You're my only family, mom."

"Kris, he sounded so devastated when I told him."

"Because you shouldn't have!" Kris loses his composure, he takes a deep breath before speaking again, "Mom, I would have told him at the right time."

"Right time? You've been together 8 months already."

"Mom. I love you, but how I handle my relationship is my business. When I tell him about my life is my own decision, okay?"

The woman shakes her head in utter disappointment, "You're a smart kid, I know that. I can't believe Tao doesn't even know your real name. You've been living together, how could you keep it?"

"Easy. I've forgotten about that name a long time ago. I've never used it, unless for official documents." Kris shrugs, his mom holds his hand from across the table.

"Son, don't be unfair to Tao. That boy can be read like an open book. I get that you're a good person and a wonderful fiance to him but you're hiding half of yourself from the person you're going to be spending the rest of your life with."

Kris sighs for upteenth time that night, "Mom, this dinner is turning sour. Let's just drop this. I'll talk to Tao, stop nagging me please."

"Fine." His mother sighs and continues to eat. They end the night quietly and they end up sleeping immediately once they got back to Mrs. Wu's hotel room. The next morning doesn't prove any different when Kris drives his mother to the airport in silence.

"Kris, are we separating like this? I'm sure I'll see you again at the wedding and that's years from now."

"I'm not angry at you, mom. But I'm 22, just let me control my life."

"I know and you're doing a good job. Tao deserves to know more about you, okay?"

"Yes, mom. I just hoped you didn't go and tell him before me." Kris sighs and hugs his mother, "I love you, mom. Call me when you're in Canada."

"Love you, too."

They bid each other goodbye and Kris waits until his mom's flight is called before taking the long drive home.

He arrives in their apartment and Tao greets him when he enters his home. "Why already awake?"

"I figured we'd eat breakfast together then maybe go back to bed? I missed you." Tao smiles and drags Kris into the kitchen, "Wait here, okay? I already prepared the pancake batter but I wanted to cook them once you're here."

Kris nods and settles on the chair as Tao starts to prepare their breakfast. He stands up and prepares his coffee and Tao's orange juice. He goes back to the table with their drinks.

"Tao?"

"Hmn?" Tao responds without looking at Kris.

"Do you think I'm unfair?"

Tao turns off the stove and walks back to the dining table with a plate mounted with piles of pancakes, the younger smiles at his fiance, "You're fair enough."

"Enough?"

"Uh-huh." Tao puts pancakes on Kris' plate, and the blond stares at the younger before holding his hand, "I'm sorry for not telling you about Carter. Or Elaine, or Joshua."

Tao smiles longingly at Kris, "I-it's okay. Mom told me, we have a long time to know about each other. Y-you can tell me when you're ready." Kris smiles and kisses Tao's hand before letting it go. They eat their breakfast as Kris listens to what Tao has done the rest of the day alone.

They go back to the bedroom after cleaning their dishes and Kris changes to his sleeping clothes. Tao's back is him when they're both lying in bed. Kris pulls the younger closer and makes him turn the other way.

"What is it?" Tao asks groggily, sleep coming to him already.

"My father cheated on mom numerous times. It was only when I was 11 that mom found out he already has a new family that mom finally filed for divorce."

"Kris... Only when you're ready." Tao caresses his fiance's cheek, Kris holds it in place. "I'm ready."

Tao smiles and Kris goes on, "Mom loved my father all her life, and even if she knew about his other affairs, she never cared. I never knew, of course, but I guess him having an entirely new family is hard for her."

"Babe..." Tao moves closer, Kris smiles bitterly at the memory. "I came home from school and I heard them fighting. It was my 12th birthday and I was excited to spend it with them but I guess, finding out through their argument that dad has a new family is an entirely different surprise for a birthday boy."

Tao kisses Kris' cheek because the blond already looks like he's about to cry, "It... It was ugly. My parents are both well-off separately and they never had pre-nuptial agreements because their families were business partners and they're also childhood sweethearts. They were perfect but the divorce came and properties had to be divided, even I was in the middle of a custody battle. I chose my mom, even if the court almost gave me to him. I stopped using Yifan because he gave me that name after his own. I told my mom I'll have my name legally changed but she wouldn't have any of it so I kept it for official purposes. I hated my dad so much for hurting my mom that's why I never cheated on anybody."

Tao smiles and gets teary-eyed, "How lucky am I to have you?"

Kris smiles and kisses Tao, "Rest assured that I will never cheat on you."

Tao smiles and hugs Kris closer, "How about Carter?"

"Mom met him through her new business partner. He's a friend of Mr. Chou and Carter liked her immediately. They got married when I was 14. He's nice and has become a father figure to me. He taught me how to play basketball better and it was him who got me interested in politics. Elaine and Joshua are twins who were born when I was 16, and we were happy to have them. Carter and I would change their diapers together when mom was still healing from her C section."

"How come... You hated him? He sounds like a good man."

"He was. Until I came out to my mom when I was 18. He was really against gay people and we drifted apart. I stopped talking to him, especially since he leaves the room whenever I was present. I felt like I was some sort of plague and it hurt. The moment I graduated high school in Canada me and my boyfriend that time moved here in South Korea to study, but we weren't able to stay in the same university. 2 years into that relationship, we broke up and more than a year after that, I met you."

Tao places his hand over Kris' chest, "How do you feel now after telling me all these?"

"I feel better. I didn't even realize it's burdened me this long."

"I'm glad..." Tao pulls Kris and kisses him, "Now let's be lazyasses and sleep the whole day off."

"I'd love that." Kris chuckles before swiftly pulling Tao with him when he lies on his back and the younger is lying on top of him. "I love you, Kris." Tao mumbles as he snuggles closer on the blond's chest.

"I love you, too."

Tao wraps his arms around his fiance and closes his eyes, 'Someday, I hope you'd finally allow me to call you by your real name...'

----------------

Author's Notes: To those who've subscribed, you're awesome. Here's the first chapter for everyone. Updates will still be slower than I usually can but hey, at least I've started and I sure hope I get to finish this arc. :)

Never forget Oct. 13, 2013. Never forget. :)