Chapter 1/ Part 1

The Wedding Toll

"What I am going to do with my life?"

I first asked myself this question when I was eighteen. That time, it was fairly just in a blink of eye, the thought ran through my mind and hid away. I had tons of things to worry about  more than what I am going to do with my life at this time. Maybe I should have thought of it more seriously.

......

 

"What I am doing with my life?"

I asked myself this question again in one cold winter day, sitting in the library, studying to make up for the time I had lost, spending on the sleep. Yeah, I was sleeping through my life, kind of dying, like the way my mom has always said about it.

"Sleeping is dying, since you do not know what you are doing the whole time."

 "If dying is really like that, I don't understand why people are so scared of  it."

 I used to think that, replying back to my mom's statement, of course only in my mind.

Back to the question, to my half-conscious state of mind at that moment, I indeed did not know what I was doing with my life. I was studying something I am not passionate about, and struggling to play a good child to my family, a typical student to my friends and anyone around. Sometimes I felt like I was put into an arranged marriage with this educational journey. I hardly knew anything about it until the day we encountered. At first I thought compassion would grow with time but it seemed that I might be too rebellious to settle down with just the little affection. Therefore, here I was, laying lazy on the table, looking at all the words and sentences with a half broken, half drowsy smile.

.......

 

"What have I done with my life?"

In the beautiful, luxurious hotel, with my beloved fiancé who seemed to interest in all the food placed on the table more than me, I am looking out of the window, daydreaming and indefensibly, abruptly getting attacked by my life-long obsessing question.

However, this time, I know exactly what my answer is, I am surviving.

- "Haizzz...." I can't help but sigh at the thought.

- "Hey, what are you thinking?" Jin Won turns around as soon as he heard me and pops the question.

- "Nothing!" ~ my all-time reply for anything whether they are something I don't want to answer or too lazy to explain.

-"Daydreaming again?", he says.

I glance at him despite the fact that he got the right answer. I just enjoy doing that, since I know I can win this battle.

-"Ok. Try the food. They are good!" He shrugs and changes the topic.

I turn to take a look at them. Yes, he is right. The food is gorgeous, but I totally have no appetite at all.

- "What's that face?" He looks at me and asks. The question must have been on his mind for a while.

- "Hey, Jin Won, do you know what you are doing with your life?", I ask.

-"I am marrying you." He answers with his big smile, and continues with a chuckle.

- "My best friend and my soul mate."

I keep looking at him, wonder how he could say those cheesy words out loud that easily.

- "Am I right?", he asks me back, with his puppy eyes and strangely cute facial expression.

- "Yeah, you are." I slightly nod.

He truly is my best friend and my soul-mate. We have grown up together, had the first row, when we knew how to speak properly, together, learned the first letter together, did the first math problem together, had the first fight together and with each other. We went to the same schools, dug the same guy, sometimes fell some exams together. We have been through all the ups and downs with the other one by our sides.

- "What's that face?" He throws the issue in again.

- "What? Why you keep asking me that? And are you even sure that it makes any senses?" I says with my annoyed voice.

- "It does make sense, of course!", he affirms. "And it's because you keep making that face - the "I'm bored to death" face."  He drops the bomb, lastly.

- "Am I?"

- "YOU ARE!" The loud noise attacks our little world, then a significantly tall figure shows up at the door.

- "You surely are!" He talks to me, and immediately turns to my fiancé to continue his exciting talk.

- "But, Jin Won, I believe it's the "I'm sleeping" face much more."

- "No, the "I'm sleeping" has lazy eyes, trying to maintain the "in deep thought" state, but she often overdoes and makes dozy eyes instead."

My beloved husband - to - be is also very exciting to make a correction.

- "Yeah, you are right. You must know her better than me." He stops for a while to emphasize the next sentence. "Lastly, and luckily, I'm not the one who marries to her.", and just like that the unreasonably tall person crashes into our conversation.

- "Hey, Jung Shin, do you know what date is today? What you come here for?" I need to cut his talk or it will go on forever.

- "Calm down, little bride! I'm not gonna take your groom away. I just want to taste the food. Jin Won said it's amazing, I can't wait until your wedding date to try. Furthermore, I think I would be busy on this day."  He smiles devilishly, and winks at Jin Won.

- "Don't wink at me!"

Jin Won does his best to keep a straight face and talks like he's making the most formal announcement.

- "I'm a mature, grown up and going to be married guy. The only girl in my eyes is my beloved fiancé." He ends the statement with a wink for me... I guess.

- "Sure..ly!"

I feel shiver running down my spine, and goose bump appears all over my arms.

-" Ha ha ha...... Of course!  Ha ha hah...." Jung Shin cannot hold it any longer, now he bursts out and literally rolling on the chair laughing.

I believe we have caused such a scene and stirred up the quiet and peaceful atmosphere here, because someone passes by just stops at the door and looks into.

- "I know it's you guys.", the one says.

He smiles cheerfully with his adorable, sparkle eyes, which are totally different from me.

Sometimes I can't believe that we are even siblings; but, for the matter of fact, we are more than that, a twin that attached to each other, of course figuratively. Anyway, why even he shows up here as well.

- "What are you doing here, Min Hyuk?", I ask.

-"You even ask! Of course, I called him.", Jin Won answers instead. "I need great advices from someone who is experienced."

Yes... You don't have to remind me that, I surely remember that my beloved twin has got married far before me. Because of that, we didn't talk to each other for a while; I was so in hatred with him.

I hated him for getting married so soon, did not even care about his sister who left behind, suffered from all the questions and remarks, I hated him for his choice to take love over career and freedom; and I hated him the most for leaving me when I thought I needed him the most.

- "Hey, sissy! What are you thinking?" Min Hyuk has stepped into the room, standing in front of me; his hand is caressing my hair gently. With only few minutes older from each other, he still always knows how to show his big brother side.  

- "She's daydreaming again." Jung Shin quickly jumps in to tattle.

I turn around, make an ugly face at him to show that I'm highly aware of what he is playing, then reply to my brother.

- "Nothing, bro." I smile and pull the chair next to me for him.

-"Look at her! Trying to be lovely, little sister. Bleh! Bleh!"

Jung Shin shows that he's not going to lose the game that fast. However, so unfortunate for him, now I have both two men on my sides - my brother and husband, and what they often say, you should not mess with the bride.

- "Jung Shin!"

-"Jung Shin!"  

There he goes, getting terrible glares from both sides.

I wonder if I just sense some burning smell. I snicker; it looks like being a bride is not very bad at all. I stick a tongue out at Jung Shin, making my evil winning face.

Nevertheless, you never know what storm is coming on the way. The next thing I know is my forehead suddenly gets nodded hard and yah, it hurts!

- "AAAAA" I cover my head and turn to the hitter, "Oppaaaa!!!"

- "Ha ha ha ha" Jung Shin once again awakens the whole scene, but this time, it's partly my fault for the record of my echoing sound.

-" On the second thought, I think Jung Shin is slightly right, sissy! Look at your evil face!" Min Hyuk says with his perfectly calm and cool expression.

- "Jin ~ Won ~" I turn to my husband, searching for his protection with my best dearly cuddly voice.

 - "Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha...." My call for help has not even finished that it gets buried by tons of laughter from all the guys.

"Ha Ha Ha".... and it keeps going on .... "Ha Ha Ha" .... and on... "Ha Ha Ha"... like forever.

Then, it occurs to me when my voice reflects to my mind. I have never acted like this in front of the guys; in fact, I myself find it also shockingly astonished.

So, I start to laugh, even harder than them; and just like that, we go on, laugh and stop to breathe, then someone starts to giggle and the next second, all of us are rolling on the table crazily.

To the restaurant staff, we must be the strangest wedding gang for any records, or they must be wondering whether they have put something weird in the food that makes us act like silly.

To me, I know which ingredient that makes all of us behave like such a bunch of kids. It's us together - the gang- our gang. Four crazy people, growing up together and being foolish together, even when one already has his own family, two are going to build one, and the last, this last one, maybe, being idiotic is his only gift, apart from his height.

I smile. It's like my inner self is smiling with my outer one which is still laughing insanely.

It feels like home again; lastly, I feel like I'm with my family again.

Family.....

Talking about family....

Isn't the one standing in front of me right now also going to be a part of it?

Oh, ... no!

"He already is!"

It's chanting in my head.

Until this, everything comes clear and clean to me, the reason why the sound seems to get more echoing, why my inner self is able to smiling at the other one. I have been day-dreaming and flying around the whole time. I don't even know when and how it all started....

As if, all of those are even important, right now.

- "What should I do!!!" I mumble,

He takes a few steps towards my place, picking up his alarm clock I threw on the way and stops by the bed.

-"What's that face?", he asks.

"It must run in the family, those quirky phrases of words" I think, and raise my face to look at him, for the first time directly...

 

... my childhood phantom

 

... and now, my brother in law

 

- Jung Yong Hwa.

 

 

Author's note: Hi, everyone, I'm so sorry for taking that long for a chapter. 

I'm kind of an inspiration-driven person, so sometimes, it's quite a challenge for me to write anything and feel right about it. Once again, sorry for the long wait. I hope it would not be that long for the next chapters. 

Also, thank you so much for all the support, your comments mean a lot to me. I'm so happy that you guys enjoy the story so far. 

Thank you for reading!! and hope you like this chapter! 

P.s: there's quite a few things about this chapter :)