001

Farewell Flower

*Open this to a new tab to have a soothing melody while reading: Farewell Flower Soundtrack 

--Summer 2009

Summer finally made its way and the sun was a fiery ball of light that was shining ever so brightly when Luhan stepped out of the car as he squint his eyes. The air kind of stung his skin but he didn’t mind because he missed it. The friendly and comfortable atmosphere was something that he longs for.

“Honey! I miss you so much!”

The boy spun around and saw his mom walked towards him with open arms and after giving each other a warm and tight hug, Luhan noticed some changes on her. A few strands of her hair were already white and wrinkles became more visible but the radiance of her face stayed the same.

“I miss you too mom.” He said and hugged her for the second time.

Luhan was eleven years old when his parents separated. There was no third party because the very main reason was lack of time. They lived in Seoul but when his parents separated, his mom moved somewhere that was kind of different than the city, somewhere that has a rural atmosphere. As a kid, he also craved for a mother’s embrace so his parents made a plan that every summer, Luhan will stay with his mom and the boy was completely fine with that. Although he only gets to spend four months with her, it’s alright because he knew that it’s better than to not spend time with her after all.

Last year, he didn’t manage to come home to her that summer that’s why when he met her today again, he noticed a lot of differences.

“I’ve been away for almost two years. I miss this place.” Luhan said and constantly stared at the house before him. Its colours were still radiant and vivid as if he’s been there all along.

“I knew it. Come, let’s go inside.”

His mom gestured the housekeeper to get his bags and when they’re about to enter, Luhan idly looked back and gazed at the white house in front of theirs. It still looked the same but there was something that changed. Luhan didn’t know but when he stared at it, it kind of radiated a feeling of melancholy.

“Do the Lees still live there?” The boy asked and received a nod from his mother just before he stepped inside.

Luhan unknowingly plastered a smile on his face when the house’s atmosphere wrapped him in a way that gave him a feeling of nostalgia, although he’d been away for a long time, his summer place has never changed.

“Remember your friend Hwayeong who lives there?” His mom asked from the kitchen whilst the boy sat on the couch and removed his shoes.

“How could I forget…”

“You should visit them later. That girl was the one who really changed.”

--Summer 2002

Luhan was twelve years old when he spent his summer at his mom’s house for the second time. It was when he met Hwayeong for the very first time.  

It was a beautiful day of summer when Luhan made his way on the sidewalk, kicking a single pebble. He was a few steps away from his house when he found himself staring at the house of their newly moved neighbours.

He saw a girl sitting on one of the entrance stairs. Her legs we’re propped up while her arms were wrapped around her knees. Tightening his grip around the plastic, he walked towards her. Luhan cleared his throat as he stood in front of her, blocking the sun from kissing her skin. “Excuse me,”

Hearing his voice, the girl looked up, making Luhan realize that tears were forming on the corners of her eyes while her face was burning red. “Mind if I take a seat?” He asked.

The girl just stayed quiet and buried her head on her arms but the boy still took a seat beside her and rested the plastic on the ground.

“Why are you crying?” He questioned.

The girl sniffed. “They’re not here yet. I can’t go inside.”

He wrinkled his brow. “Who? Your parents?”

The girl gave no reply and Luhan took it as a yes.

 “Don’t you have any spare key?”

The girl didn’t reply again. Sighing, Luhan stood up and went towards the pot of flowers designed on the balcony.

She looked at him with a questioning look. “What’re you doing?”

“I’m finding a key. Maybe your mom hid it.” He said and proceeded at the mat in front of the door. To his disappointment, the key wasn’t there when he flipped it. He scratched his head and went back beside her.

“Sorry, I didn’t find any.” He said with an apologetic look.

She sniffed and buried her head on her arms for the nth time.

Rubbing his cheeks, he settled his eyes on the plastic beside him and a thought hit him. “You want a lollipop?” He asked, making her look at him again. She gave him a shy nod and for the first time, she saw him grinned.

Luhan fished out two lollipops from the plastic and handed the other one to her. She rubbed her eyes using the back of her hands before getting the lollipop from him.

“I’m Luhan by the way.” He said as he removed the wrapper of the lollipop.

“I’m…H-Hwayeong.” She replied and handed back the lollipop to him. Luhan gave her a questioning look. “You don’t want it?”

Hwayeong chuckled. “I can’t open it.”

Seeing her chuckle for the first time, he grinned and removed the wrapper of the lollipop using his teeth since he found it hard when he used his fingers.

“How old are you?” She asked as she took the lollipop from him.

“Twelve…you?” He replied.

“Eleven…” She whispered and put the lollipop inside .

He put the wrappers inside his pocket and decided to stay and wait with her until her parents could arrive so to spend some time, the both of them played rock, paper and scissors.

After a few minutes, a car stopped in front, causing Hwayeong to widen her eyes in excitement. “Mom’s here!”

Together, they ran towards the car.

The girl introduced him to her mom and Luhan bowed obediently when her mom gave him a warm greeting with a smile.

Just before Hwayeong could go inside to follow her mom, Luhan tapped her shoulder.

“You don’t have a father?”

Hearing his question, the girl pursed her lips and glued her eyes on the ground before shaking her head.

“Oh,” Luhan scratched his head. “Sorry.”

“It’s okay. Thank you for the time, Luhan. See you around.” Hwayeong waved her hand and ran towards the door.

The boy nodded and watched her go inside.

That was how Luhan met Hwayeong, the girl who will soon turn his life upside down.


 

Despite the difference of their genders, the two managed to become playmates. That’s childhood anyway, it doesn’t require any specific interests or physical appearances because what matters most is the bond which we call friendship.

After a week of playing board games and running around the neighbourhood, Luhan got a bike from his mother and the very first thing that popped in his mind was to give this news to Hwayeong.

“Hi Mrs. Lee. Is Hwayeong there?” Luhan asked while ringing the bell of his bike blithely.

The woman gave him a smile and told him to wait before walking inside the house and Luhan heard her calling her daughter’s name. Minutes later, Hwayeong took a step outside. “Hey Luhan,”

“Wanna come with me?” He questioned.

She wrinkled her brow. “Where?”

Luhan just shrugged. “I’ll stroll around with my bike.”

Hwayeong sadly heaved her shoulders. “But I don’t have a bike.”

Hearing her reply, he gave her a playful grin and patted the wooden plank on the top of the back wheel of his bike. “You can sit here.”

She widened her eyes and quickly settled herself on it with an excited smile.

“Hold my waist.” Luhan stated, tightening his grip around the handle and Hwayeong did what he said, wrapping her small arms around him. “Let’s go!”

As soon as Luhan started to pedal his bike, the playful breeze touched their skin in a friendly way while their hairs sparkled beneath the sun in an almost cheerful-abandon.

Hwayeong realized that she was holding her breath so she inhaled deeply and giggled. “This is fun!”

“I know.” Luhan replied. “You want me to pedal faster?”

She quickly nodded as if Luhan could see her. “Yes!”

He let out a chuckle and pedalled his bike with more speed, making Hwayeong wrap her arms tighter around him.

The both of them were having fun when Luhan didn’t notice a medium sized pebble was along the path and before he knew it, the bike loosed control and they stumbled down.

Luhan was somehow embarrassed at what happened and tried to let out a laugh as he wiped the dirt on his knee but what bothered him was when Hwayeong started to cry.

He was taken aback when he saw that her right elbow was wounded. It wasn’t bleeding but Luhan knew it hurts just by seeing the tears that were streaming down from her eyes. He bit his lower lip and quickly settled up his bike and told her to come back from her seat so that they can go back to their house and cleaned it.

Hwayeong was sitting on the couch with watery eyes while Luhan’s mom carefully plastered a band aid on the affected area.

“Luhan, look at what you’ve done.” She said with a stern voice and shook her head. He quietly fiddled his fingers while sitting beside the little girl. He was guilty at what he had done and mentally scolding himself for making his playmate cry.  It somehow disappointed him knowing that the tears rolled from her eyes were because of the scar on her elbow and he was the reason why she had that scar.

Hwayeong was wiping away the tears that formed on the corner of her eyes when the both of them took their steps toward her house.

When they reached the front gate, Luhan looked on the ground and hid his hand behind his back. “I’m sorry…” He mumbled.

She cocked her head to the side. “Hmm?”

“I shouldn’t have pedalled faster.” He replied and bit his lower lip.

Hwayeong chuckled and tapped his shoulders. “Hey it’s okay. Besides, it doesn’t hurt now.”

Luhan shook his head and looked at Hwayeong with determination in his eyes. “Don’t worry Yeong. Starting today, I, Xi Luhan, promised to protect you.”

She giggled at his statement and nodded.

Before she opened the door, she gave a final wave while Luhan grinned in return before turning around.

--Summer 2004

It was during the summer of 2004 when the two of them saw the world while sitting on top of a tree’s sturdy branch. It was also there where they witness the rising and setting of the sun. It was a wonderful view as if they were in an existence out of time and that everything beneath them was obscure.

“Where are we going? Mom would be mad at me.” Hwayeong huffed while running, tagging behind Luhan who was searching for something ahead of them.

The boy didn’t give an answer and after a few minutes, he stopped from his tracks and smiled in relief.

“We’re here.”

Hwayeong panted when she looked at where his eyes were settled.

It was a Cherry Blossom tree.

“Are you thinking what I’m thinking?” Luhan questioned and the two of them shared knowing stares, making Hwayeong giggle. It marvels her that they can share thoughts without even using some strings of words. After exchanging nods, the both of them ran towards it.

“Come on, you can go higher than that.” Luhan said with a hint of challenging tone as he slung his arm on one of the branches of the tree.

“Of course I can.” Hwayeong replied as she carefully placed her foot on the other branch while her hands were tightly gripped around the trunk.

He smirked at her statement. “Okay then, hurry, the sun’s already setting…”

After a while, Hwayeong managed to sit on the thick branch beside Luhan. She playfully nudged his shoulder. “See? I told you I can do it.”

He gave her his signature grin and ruffled her hair. “I knew you can.”

Hearing his words, she let out a chuckle and together, they looked at the sun that’s now hiding itself, slowly welcoming the colour of night.

They stayed like that while their eyes were glued on the unfathomable sky as if they’re trying to search something in the horizon as silence wrapped the two of them. No words were said but happiness was shared.

--Summer 2005

Fun defined their bond—a fun that didn’t become permanent.

Luhan was fifteen years old when soccer became one of his interests that’s why he eventually joined the varsity team in his school. It became his favourite hobby so when summer came, Luhan met his mom with a soccer ball locked between his arms.

That year, he encountered some kids of the same age in that neighbourhood and throughout the whole vacation, they played the very same game and Luhan became so oblivious to the very first playmate that he made a few years ago. There were times when he was playing with his ball in their lawn when he saw Hwayeong walking around with a couple of picked wild flowers. The both of them will just exchange friendly nods as if they were strangers. Luhan didn’t mind though because he had enough sense that there were a lot of girls in that place so he thought that maybe she already made new friends too just like him. But he was unaware that his maturity was the reason why the boundary between the two of them existed.

--Summer of 2006

The Lees usually visited the house of Mrs. Xi with home baked pies until it became a habit of them but during the summer of 2006, Luhan was always out of the house that’s why Hwayeong didn’t even get the chance to share some talks with him. Just like that, the bond that the two of them created became a speck of dust that was easily brushed by the wind. Their friendship dropped down to zero.

But Hwayeong understood though. They were growing up and their interests changed so it became hard for her to open a conversation besides the fact that she’s not good in taking the initiative when it comes to socialization. Luhan was the one who’s good at that. He’s always the beginning of their fun. He is the genesis of their friendship. And now, he also became the end.

She always looks forward to seeing Luhan every summer but after realizing that time and distance have the ability to turn them into strangers, Hwayeong accepted the fact that Luhan will no longer be his summer playmate.


Luhan was idly dribbling his soccer ball on the grassy ground at the subdivision’s park. It was a week before he could come back to Seoul. The sky was already replaced by a cooling purple veil and he still hasn’t come home even though his friends already left him alone. Beads of sweat were rolling on his forehead and the hairs at the back of his ears were getting damp. His shirt was already soaked in sweat because of playing and basking under the scorching summer sun.

He then, suddenly saw someone through his peripheral vision, making Luhan turn his head.

A few meters away from him was a girl who bent down to pick a random daisy. When she finally straightened herself, she sensed his stare so she gazed back and it was when Luhan realized that it was the crying girl that he saw sitting on one of the stairs of the white house three years ago.

During that summer, it was the only day when Luhan finally took a good long look at her after being oblivious of her existence for almost two years.

Her hazelnut hair was already long and wavy while her eyes contained a spark that he didn’t remember seeing years ago.

Her left hand was wrapped around a bunch of picked dandelions and daisies and for the first time, she was wearing a dress—a flowery dress that was gently being swayed by the wind.

Hwayeong changed a lot and it was the day when Luhan saw her not as his playmate a few years ago.

He saw her as a lady.

The girl plastered a friendly smile on her face and waved her hand. That was enough for Luhan to escape from his unexplainable trance. The latter widened his eyes and averted his gaze to his hand only to realize that he dropped the ball on the grassy ground after seeing her existence. Without hesitation, he abruptly grabbed it and ran to his house with crimson cheeks.

During the last days of his stay that summer, Luhan would sometimes find himself sitting on the couch at the living room while staring through the window where the white house was the view. It would be even better whenever he sees Hwayeong picking flowers on their lawn. He didn’t have an idea why he suddenly lost the confidence to approach her just like the way he used to do way back a few years ago.

--Summer 2007

Luhan didn’t stay at his mom’s house longer than he used to.

His mom understood because she knew that Luhan was in jeopardy for his upcoming College life that’s why his dad decided to take him to some College fairs that vacation but before that, the boy suggested if he could spend half of his summer with his mom and luckily, his dad agreed.

Luhan seldom left the house that time and he only goes out if ever he will play soccer with the neighbourhood boys or his mom would invite him to have a bond outside. But most of the time, he spent his day being isolated inside the house by reading and studying for the entrance examinations that his dad recommended. Video games, television, and internet were the only things that kept him company.


It was the day before his departure when Luhan bought something for dinner at the Grocery store.
He was on his way home when he walked pass the park of the subdivision. The sky was a blazing orange and the sun was about to bade its farewell. The place was empty but he stopped his feet when he noticed someone standing before the Cherry Blossom tree.

He squint his eyes and straightened more his vision, making him realize that it was Hwayeong.

Luhan huffed when something hit his head. It was the very first time that he saw her existence ever since he arrived at his mom’s house this summer. With an urge to reconcile, he walked towards her.

“Hey,”

The girl almost gasped but when she realized that it was Luhan, a smile full of familiarity escaped her lips. “Long time no see.”

Luhan nodded at her statement and let out a chuckle, thinking that this girl managed to surprise him again with her face that was welcoming maturity. She surely was becoming more beautiful.

“Can you help me?” Hwayeong asked.

Luhan gave her a questioning look with confused eyes. “Huh?”

“I want to climb.”

After examining her statement, the boy raised his brow and pointed at the tree towering the both of them. “Climb? This tree?”

Hwayeong nodded and received a chuckle from Luhan. “Why? Do I look too old for climbing trees?”

He shrugged. “Maybe?”

“I’m not. You don’t see the way I see.” Hwayeong said, placing her hand on its trunk while looking at its countless leaves that shaded the both of them. “I really want to climb now. I don’t have the energy but still, I want to.”

Luhan stared at her for a minute before giving a nod, earning a smile of gratitude from Hwayeong. She stepped aside and let him climb first.

When he was high enough, he looked down and saw her looking up at him. Without hesitation, he stretched out his hand and reached for hers. Luhan didn’t know why but when she held his hand, he felt that it was shaking.

The girl sighed in relief after successfully doing what she desires and mumbled a thank you to him for helping her achieve what she wanted.

“It’s so beautiful.” Hwayeong said in awe as she stared at the sun that was slowly tucking itself.

Hearing her statement, Luhan glued his eyes to where she was staring and without consciousness, he smiled. Sunsets do know how to lighten up a person.

Silence enveloped the two of them but they didn’t mind. Just like the time when they first climbed the tree, no words were shared because they were busy marvelling at how wonderful the world is.

When the sun was finally nowhere to be seen, Luhan finally came down and guided her afterwards. They brushed their clothes to remove some dusts and when Luhan heard her sniff, he realized that her eyes were b with tears. “H-hey, is everything alright?”

Hwayeong abruptly nodded while wiping her eyes with the back of her hands.

“Then why are you crying?”

“It’s just that…it’s so amazing.”

Luhan curled his brow. “You mean the sunset?”

She nodded with a sniff and the boy only huffed at her overflowing affection for nature.

“Thank you, Luhan. I couldn’t have seen the world’s beauty without you.”

“Me?”

“Yeah. You’re the one who showed me this tree a few years ago remember?” Hwayeong pointed out although she was disappointed that this boy already forgot that day when they first encountered the sunset.

The boy blinked. “Oh…right.”

They walked back home together and while they’re on their way, Luhan noticed that she was walking slowly and frequently let out some coughs. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

Hwayeong managed to nod while coughing and waved her hand as if it was no big deal. Although Luhan wasn’t satisfied at her response, he shrugged it away. “You know, it’s been a while since I last talk to you.”

“It’s been years.” Hwayeong corrected and the boy felt more ashamed.

Luhan looked at her. “Are you mad?”

“No,”

Luhan felt relief. “Right. Yeah I guess we’re just growing up you know. And that we finally realized that the world doesn’t just revolve around the two of us.”

He didn’t receive any reply until they were finally a few steps from their house.

“Have a safe trip to Seoul tomorrow, Luhan.” Hwayeong said when the both of them stopped right there on the sidewalk.

Luhan nodded and before Hwayeong could turn the other way, she intensely gazed at him and with sad eyes, Hwayeong turned around and walked towards her house.

The boy didn’t notice though because all he thought was that how did he manage to make that lady his playmate a few years ago.

--Summer of 2008

Luhan encountered a lot of pretty girls at school that he almost forgot that certain girl who first made his cheeks red. He considered that it was just a happy crush anyway—something that’s not permanent.

He didn’t spend his vacation to his mom’s house that year because his dad invited him to go with him somewhere out of the country and of course, Luhan couldn’t say no to that.

--Summer of 2009

Luhan plopped himself on his bed and realized that it’s already small for his height but he didn’t mind. It was something that he missed after being gone for almost two years. After taking a shower and putting on comfortable clothes, he heard the sound of the doorbell before his mom called for his name and told him that the Lees were there. That was something he also missed. Every time that Luhan will arrive, the Lees would always pay a visit with homemade pies.

When he walked out of his room, he heard voices from downstairs, making him more excited.

As soon as he stepped his foot on the ground, he saw Mrs. Lee with that signature motherly smile of hers. “Wow Luhan look at you. You surely are handsome.”

The boy chuckled and gave her a hug. He noticed that Mrs. Lee had a lot of changes. She already have a lot of wrinkles and  her eyes kind of looked tired as if she carried the whole world on her shoulders but Luhan didn’t mind because he reasoned that she’s getting old.

“Where’s Hwayeong?” He asked and scanned the room.

Mrs. Lee tapped his shoulder. “She’ll be here in any minute.”

The latter averted her gaze to the boy’s mother who was currently tying up the curtains. “Does this boy know?”

Hearing her question, Mrs. Xi tried to force a smile. “Oh…he doesn’t.”

Mrs. Lee nodded in understanding. “I thought you already told him.”

Curling his brow, Luhan gave the women a confusing look. “Tell me what?”

Mrs. Lee stared at him for a minute before holding his arms and gave him a melancholic look but just before she could open , Mrs. Xi quickly headed towards the door. “Oh she’s here already.”

Mrs. Lee removed her hands from him and decided to just let Luhan manage his own.

His eyes were full of expectations to see Hwayeong again but when the door finally opened, he was more surprised and bewildered at the same time.

Right there in front of him, Hwayeong was on a wheel chair with one leg.


"Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer." -Romans 12:12