The Panic Arose in Her like the Tide

Her Oaths

She panicked. I know she did, and I also know she didn’t mean to, that she didn’t know exactly what she was doing when her eyes glazed over with the rage I knew bubbled against her heart whenever she saw me with him. But she triggered his wrath. And not just against me, I knew from the look of sheer hatred and ugliness plastered across his face that he was swearing his revenge on Soojung just before the door slammed shut on the image that was forever burned into my mind. He’s going to do something bad to her. A shiver ran down my spine. Not of the good kind. 

A bad feeling settled inside of my stomach, and refused to disappear once the sound of screeching rubber on asphalt faded. I watched her chest rise and fall at a rapid pace, the rush of adrenaline ebbing off of her bit by bit. She stormed into the spare room in the dorm a little bit later and didn’t come out. Just as I was about to start over to the doorknob, my phone began buzzing in my back pocket. My heart nearly froze over with fright, and I stopped breathing for more than half a minute before I jumped into action. I left the bag of peas on the couch and sprinted to my room, locking it carefully before I picked up. Because I knew there was only one person who’d be calling me like this. 

A flash of his face on my phone screen confirmed my suspicions. Choiza. He just couldn’t leave the two of us alone it seemed, not even for a minute, he always had to be feeding his ego or his pride in the way he could capture me by threatening her. I pressed the accept button on the touch screen and put the device to my ear, waiting for the familiar screech of his voice, like the sound of nails on a chalk board. “Keep her close to you,” he drawls from the other side in a dangerously low tone of voice, “or she’ll slip through your fingers like water, and you know what they say about water, Sulli,” there’s a cruel chuckle and a faint whimper in the background, “It never lasts long enough to save.” And with that last comment, the phone clicks shut, and he’s gone, leaving me with the silence and the feeling of panic rising inside of my lungs at the underlying threat that laid beneath the surface of his words. 

The other members are startled as I slam the door open against the wall, sending vibrations through the whole dorm and charging into the room Soojung had gone into. Only to find empty sheets and an open window with the curtains billowing gently in the frigid winter air. A piece of crumpled paper was taped to her baby blue pillowcase, and I had that awful feeling back in the pit of my stomach again, this time it was making me nauseous. I felt like someone had shot me in the chest and broken a brick over my head, the most precious thing in the world to me, has disappeared into thin air without the slightest sound or warning, and there was nothing I could have done to save her. I could almost see her now, her gentle smile, her curved eyes, and I felt something die inside of me, for I was without her. And without even having to read the scrawl of chicken scratch bored onto the parchment, I barged out of the room, my shrill voice filling the room to alert the world of my love's disappearance, and wide eyes trained on me for a second time. “He took her!”

 

 

 

 

So, hi, guys....sorry for the long absence, school's a pain. Anyone still reading this fic? Haha:)