Last Chance

Sketching Futures

 

 

Jongin glanced at his cousin who was busy sketching in his drawing block. He the air through his teeth. “Jongdae,” he called, softly and the older guy looked up, slightly raised his brows. “Is it true she is going to be my partner?”

For thousand times, the younger kept repeating the same question since Jongdae awoke from his deep slumber. He smiled, hiding the truth. He purposely sketched an old lady and simply claimed his drawing was going to be Jongin’s future. The younger seemed unacceptable.

 

Giving in, he made up his mind. “No. I lied.” He honestly spoke. Jongin’s sour face slowly became bloomy. And after a few seconds, he danced like a mad guy in the middle of the peaceful living room.

“I know you were joking! You’re such an ,” he cursed.

Jongdae lost his words. “I told you, not to curse-”

 

On that moment, the doorbell rang. Someone must had pressed the button. Someone must be there, outside the house. Jongin stopped his irrational behaviour and gazed at the older. They both blinked. Probably, forcing one another to open the door by gesture.

Again, Jongdae gave in. He lazily got up from the comfortable couch and reached toward the door. The outsider seemed to be an impatient person that he or she kept pressing the doorbell. Finally, he held the door-knob and twisted it.

 

Their eyes met.

“Hello, neighbor! I’m Byun Haejin, living there, right beside your house.” She smiled, wildly.

 

Jongdae was stunned enough to give any reaction. He gulped. He wasn’t a friendly person, instead, he lived in his own world. The world of art where he and his sketchbook were belong. Right now, he surely became numb and dumb.

“Who’s there, Jongdae?” Fortunately, Jongin appeared. The gaze which fell onto Jongdae was shifted and landed on the pretty girl, in front of them. Jongin held his chin in wonder. “Oh, wait. Are you the new neighbor?” Excitement drew all over his face. And when the girl nodded eagerly, the last thing Jongdae realized was, both of them were already sitting on the couch, laughing cheerfully, like they’d known each other for so long time.

 

Seeing them, he knew he had to learn more things.

 

Maybe, he had to learn more about living.
Maybe he must learn that, friendship could be made in a blink of an eye.

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

The two families were easily been approached one another. The Byun had a lovely son and daughter named, Byun Baekhyun and Byun Haejin. Both resembled their father more than the mother. Somehow, the bright attitude was certainly flowed in their blood through the mother. That was the least thing played in Jongdae’s mind. He might be mute, but he observed well.

 

_______________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

They walked to school together. The four of them. Baekhyun was the youngest while Jongin, Haejin and Jongdae were in the similar grade. What made a slight different that, Jongin wasn’t in the same class with Haejin and Jongdae. That was it.

 

Now, it was recess time. As how the days past, Jongdae was always alone and he liked it. People would only came to him when they were deadly curious about their futures. It would sound like, he was being used, but to him, that was the definiton of adapting with the community. He thought about it as a simple thing.

 

“Oh, Jongdae!”

Not looking at the person, that loud voice, bet with him. He could guess it correctly. Munching his  bread, he looked up and their gazes met. That girl smiled. As pretty as she was. Sometime, Jongdae felt different around her. She was like crayons that he used to hold when he was young. Colorful and beautiful.

“May I sit here?” she politely asked and he hesitantly nodded. Haejin already opened to speak, when out of blue, a bunch of guys bombarded the poor Jongdae, squishing him on his seat. She was so thankful she took a seat across him.

 

“Damn it, Jongdae. Your drawing is right! I met her. I’ve met her!” One of them, shamelessly shouted, creating some unwanted scenes. “She is exactly like your drawing.”

Another guy interrupted, smiling sheepishly like an idiot. “Jongdae! I’ve found her too. Thanks to you, dude! I can get you whenever I need to know my future, can’t I?”

 

Being ignore, drowned in confusion, hunted by curiosity. That was her, Byun Haejin. She wondered about the things they were talking about. None of them she could process perfectly in her brilliant mind.

“Hey, move! You guys make him hard to breathe.” Yongguk glared at them and they did. He then turned to Jongdae and smiled. “Well, I shall bring these puppies away from you. Haha. By the way, they just want to thank you.” He nodded, patting the inncoent guy’s shoulder, brotherly. “Got to go. I’m sure we’re bothering you with your girlfriend.”

 

Hearing the last sentence, Jongdae blinked.

Hearing the last sentence, Haejin blushed.

 

“No! You’ve mistaken.” Staring at each other, they blinked and blushed. Talking all at once, Yongguk was amused to see them.

“All right, all right. I was just joking. Don’t take it serious. Well, Jongdae. Thanks again.” He waved at him and left with the rest of his friends.

 

Now, Jongdae became awkward with the sweet girl in front of him.

His body language, she understood. “What happened just now? Future? Drawing? Mind to explain?” She decided to start a conversation with Jongdae since she rarely got a chance to talk to him. This guy was so mysterious, in her opinion. And cold too.

“Oh.” He his lips and glanced at her. Too long story. Too many points. He didn’t know how to start it. “I am a gifted child.”

Haejin sniffed and smiled. It looked like, she mocked him. “You aren’t full of yourself, are you?” Her tone. It sounded so cynic.

 

It sliced his heart. He shook. “I am not. It is the truth that I am a gifted child. I can draw the futures of someone.” His voice became stern and his forehead… It furrowed. She realized, how her careless words had hurt him.

Tilting her head a bit, she searched for his eyes. “Are you mad at me?”

“Yes. Yes, I am.” Honesty was radiating in his eyes.

 

Her heart pounded hardly. She didn’t mean to hurt him. She never meant to. “My bad. I am sorry, Jongdae. If you don’t mind, would you like to read my future?” This tense moment. She hoped, she could destroy it as soon as possible.

He rose up from the seat, grabbing his drawing block and pencil. “You are doubting me. So, there is no need for you to know your future from a person you doubt.” The spiteful words, snapped her. The last glance and he’d gone.

 

Feeling this anger, he knew he should learn more things.

 

Maybe, he should control his emotion perfectly.
Maybe, the anger shouldn’t be thrown to a girl who knew nothing.

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________________

 

 

The cold breezy evening was totally a peaceful moment. The moment for the tension and pressure to be blown away. Jongdae smiled in satisfaction and began to sketch the beautiful scenery he dreamt last night. That place gave him a calm vibe where sakura trees were everywhere. On right and left. There was a gate at the end of the pathway.

 

His hand which just now was dancing gracefully, holding the pencil, stopped.

At the end of the pathway, there was a girl in a white gown. Waving at him, delightedly. The lovely way her hand was waving,  he simply tempted to go to her. As he got nearer, she turned around and vanished beneath the gate.

 

“Boo!”

Jongdae jumped in surprised. His heart. If it could fell, he thought, he would be dead as it landed on the ground. The mischievous person held his shoulder and laughed beautifully. The person then sat beside him, on the wooden bench.

“That’s a big reaction, Jongdae.” It was Haejin. She was still laughing but only this time, it reducing.

 

He didn’t bother to reply and immediately packed his things, ready to step in his house. The last weeks matter, about Haejin doubting him, it hadn’t been resolved. But now, she acted all innocent, he mentally reminded himself.

Seeing the guy she was dying to talk to was leaving, she quickly grabbed the end of his shirt. She looked up, staring at him. While he looked down, locking his eyes on hers.

 

“You need to listen to my explanation. I never doubt you. Maybe, a little. But you have to know, from the first time we met, I always remind myself that you are special. You are gifted. Even if you didn’t tell me you are gifted, I knew it.” Her warm words succeeded making his guard lowered down.

He sat back on the spot he did and stared at the wooden table, blankly. “I’m hearing,” he said, avoiding her eyes.

 

Haejin stared at his perfect side facial. Somehow, when people said Jongin was handsome, she thought Jongdae was way more handsome. Instead, she would gladly shouted to the whole solar system that this guy, this mysterious guy, was the best looking person God had ever created.

Stretching her arm toward his face, she held his chin, tenderly and brought his sight to meet hers. “When people talking, you have to look them right in here.” Haejin pointed her finger on her right eye. She let out a soft sigh and placed both of her hands on his shoulder.

 

While Jongdae, his heart. If just now, he thought it would fell on the ground and he died. Right now, he thought his heart would fell on her and he drowned.

 

“Jongin had told me that you really can read someone’s future by looking at their eyes. But, you can’t speak them. You can just write or…”

Jongdae cut off, “Sketch them.”

She smiled, loving the respond he gave. “Yes. And it explained so much of that day, when those guys were bombarding you, thanking you for telling the futures of them. I believe in you. I really do. So, can you please, stop avoiding me? It hurts.”

“It really hurts?” he asked, reassuring her words. Haejin nodded and slowly pulled her hand away from his shoulder. Jongdae hung his head low, embarrassed. How could he made a girl disappointed on him? “I am sorry, Haejin.”

 

Haejin blinked. Along the two months they’d known each other, this was the first time Jongdae had ever called her name. The joyness in herself was waiting the right time to burst. This fragile guy. He was opening up himself to her. How wonderful this life would be.

She leaned closer to him and gave a quick peck on his forehead. With a soft smile spreaded on her face, she said, “your apology is accepted.”

 

Froze.

This moment. He knew he should capture it and stored it in his mind forever. Sketched it.

 

Maybe, he had to get out from living in his head when the world was so much bigger than it.
Maybe, he should start sketching the presence, indeed.

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________________

 

 

“Jongdae, we want to know who are going to be our partners. Please read our futures!” A group of girls pleaded him, making some adorable faces.

 

Haejin choked her saliva as she saw how they acted. It was so disgusting, she mentally cursed. They were distracted and gave her a death glare. She quickly fed herself with the ice-cream she bought and looked somewhere else. She was waiting for Jongdae’s respond toward them. For some reasons, she hoped, Jongdae would refuse.

Rubbing the back of his neck, he nodded. “Sure. What time do you prefer to meet?” as usual, he was as polite as always. The girls squealed happily and set the time. The both sides agreed and they left him with Haejin alone, at the school’s garden.

 

“You shouldn’t let yourself being used by others. You’re too nice,” she complained.

Jongdae smiled to himself, “It is all right. I’m used to it,” and started to pack his drawing items. Ten more minutes left before the bell rang and being Jongdae he was, he would enter the classroom early.

“Don’t go. We have another 10 minutes, my dear Jongdae.”

That ‘my dear’ words made his heart pounded. Plus, it was called by Haejin, the most sincere girl he had ever met. “Okay,” he replied and sat silently.

 

A butterfly flew in front of them, attracting their sights. They stared at the beautiful yet unlucky creatures till it lost and disappeared. “Pretty, huh?” Haejin turned her head, gazing Jongdae, and he did the same.

 

Their eyes always met. Sometime, he wondered. Were those pair of her beautiful hazel eyes created for him? “Yes, very pretty.”

Her face lit up. “Oh, yes! I have a brilliant question for you. Well, if I let you choose between me and the butterfly, who’s more beautiful and prettier?” A trap for the innocent. She was enjoying waiting for him to reply.

 

“You.” Without thinking, Jongdae knew the answer.

 

Haejin lost her words. It supposed to be a trap for Jongdae, but right now, she was the one who had been trapped. His words. No stuttering. Full of confidence. How could she didn’t feel nervous? She cleared , hiding her awkwardness. “Well. Liar,” she denied and quickly dodged his eyes.

“Telling lies mean, you are a coward. You are afraid of the truth.”

“All right, Kim Jongdae. You always win. The glory is all yours.” She gave in and crossed her arms on her stomach.

 

There was a pause.

 

Breathing deeply, something crossed on her mind. “Hey. Can you read my future?”

He nodded. “Yes.”

“Right now, can’t you?” she tilted her head.

Again, he nodded. “Sure. Come nearer,” Jongdae said and Haejin nudged closer to him. “What do you want to know about the future? Your work? Your surrounding? Your-”

“My soulmate,” she spoke. “I am a highschool girl. Just like those chicks, I also want to know my future boyfriend.” She pouted and rolled her eyes playfully.

Jongdae nodded and chuckled softly. “Look into my eyes and calm down.”

 

She did.

 

The time ran in slow motion. Digging the future, beyond time. Revealing the secret of the nature. Jongdae finally blinked, as he had done seeing Haejin’s future. For a few seconds, he became speechless. That was something normal because he couldn’t talk or tell with words how the future of someone would be. He could only sketched them. Sketching the futures.

 

Haejin became curious. “You saw him?”

It took some times before Jongdae opened his mouth to reply. “I saw-” He was about to spill it, when suddenly, a hoarse voice shouted their names. They spun around and were greeted by Jongin’s smile.

 

“What are you guys doing, huh?” He ruffled both hairs, making them whined. Jongin laughed and set himself beside Haejin. “Sorry, Haejin. But Mrs. Moon calls our dear Jongdae.” He made a sad face to the girl, beside him and received a free light punch on the shoulder. He rose up and pulled the cousin along with him. “Come on, Jongdae.”

He forcefully got up and followed the younger guy, who seemed impatient. For once, he glanced at Haejin. The girl smiled brightly at him, putting him in ease. Sometime, leaving her alone made he lost his confident. Because with her, he could feel himself being wanted.

 

“Oh, Jongdae!” Jongin rubbed his temple in frustration. “What have you done with your uniform? Look at this ice-cream stain. Do you know why teacher looks for you? You will be interviewed by other schools’ students and she wants to tell you to prepare a speech.” He slipped his hand inside his pocket and took a handkerchief. “You disgust me,” he continued. Wiping gently, he mumbled endlessly. Like a mother. Like a grandmother.

Seeing Jongin who was busy making himself as neat as possible, he simply smiled. “I don’t need you. I never did.” He pretended to sulk.

“There you are, making a childish attitude again.” The younger stuck out his tongue, giving the last touch on Jongdae. “Now, go. Don’t make the old lady waits for you too long. She’ll be mad.”

 

Jongdae nodded and pushed the wooden door of the office. For once, he glanced at Jongin before stepping in. The guy smiled brightly at him, sending so much warmth to him. He began to think further.

 

Maybe, he needed to be more matured.
Maybe, he needed to stop depending everything on the younger guy. No more.

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________________

 

 

Staring blankly at the white paper, Jongdae kept grabbing his pencil and later, let it be freed. But then, he took it again and let it runaway, after a few minutes. Haejin’s future soulmate was playing wildly in his little mind. It distracted him so much. It disturbed the routine of his life. The impact of knowing Haejin’s future was unspeakable.

 

And it became more distracted when he saw himself. Himself, in her eyes. In her future. As her soulmate. How could that possibly happened? Was there a glitch in time or maybe, an  illusion?

 

The door squeaked opened. “Hey yo! Look what I’m holding,” said Jongin, kicking the door behind him close and walked toward the miserable Jongdae.

Putting his deep thoughts aside, he turned his head and saw a tray, with a plate full of home-made cookies on it. The grumbling of his stomach killed the denial of his mouth who said, he wasn’t hungry. “Where do you get those?

“Mom made it.” Jongin gladly answered and fed himself the delicious cookies.

 

Silent filled the space. They both hesitated to began a chat. Until…

 

“Hey…” Startled, as they voiced out all at once. Jongdae smiled sheepishly and so Jongin. “Well. I have something to tell you, Jongdae. A very big secret.” His voice. His tone. His words. And the way he spoke, simply drew curiosity of wanting to know more in Jongdae.

He gave in without Jongin realized. “Oh, really? Then, go on. The matter I want to tell you is not something important as your big secret.” He shrugged and turned his chair, facing the younger.

 

Playing with his own fingers, Jongdae could sense his cousin was nervous. A big secret, though. Took some times to be spilled and he was willing to wait.

 

And finally, he opened up. “Jongdae, I think, I’ve fallen in love with Haejin.” His face changed and a wide smile appeared. “I fell in love with her the way she is. She makes me comfortable to be around her,” he confessed, with a pair of eyes shone in happiness which were looking exactly at Jongdae. The younger continued to speak his feeling that had been buried for so long time toward a girl. A girl who stole his heart. A girl, who stole Jongdae’s heart too.

“A-Are you going to tell her about your feeling?” He knew the devil was tempting him to hope for a ‘no’. It was so wrong to be sorrowful when others were having a merry moment.

Jongin shyly nodded. “Yes. I am going to tell her. Soon, maybe. Oh, yeah! What about you? What did you want to tell me just now?” he raised his brows playfully.

 

Now, it was his turn to wait patiently for the older to talk.

 

Maybe, the truth shall be spilled to the younger.
Or maybe, giving up on something impossible was the best decision.

 

He would choose.

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Sinless child, sat alone at the dark corner, crying for the lost of his beloved who had gone. Gone forever and never going to return. Six years breathing. Six years laughing. Six years learning about life. Six years creating memories with them, the moments were way too short. He sobbed again. This time, it became louder and harder.

 

“I insist to take care of him,” Mr. Kim said, a little bit rude of tone he let out. “He is my nephew. My sister and her husband had passed away. So, I, as his uncle want to take him under my care. Is it illegal? We are blood-related!”

The middle-aged woman sighed. “But I, as Jongdae’s aunt, also have the right to take him under my care. He is my brother’s son,” she argued, hugging herself, full of ego.

 

Jongdae, who heard the whole conversation felt the pain in his heart. This situation was beyond sadistic. Maybe they missed one thing the little boy knew. They were so greedy to take care of him because of his money. Because of the wealth his parents had left for him. For him. Not for them. They never going to understand about the poor orphan boy.

 

He hid his face on between his knees which he hugged tightly. His pants was soaking wet because of the endless river he made from his eyes. Suddenly, he felt a presence beside him. He peeked and saw a little kid smiling wildly at him, handing a toy car to him.

“You are older than me, Jongdae. Why are you still crying like a baby?” the little Jongin asked, innocently, staring at the small Jongdae in wonder. “If you are going to say you cry because you lost both of your parents, forget about it. You don’t need to answer.”

 

So did he. He didn’t open his mouth to answer. Still, his tears were flowing and rolled on his fluffy fair cheeks. Later, a pair of arms linked around him, putting him in a lovely embrace. “Jongdae, you have me. I’ll take care of you.” Jongin caressed his hair, tenderly like a brother. “I know it’s hard. To hear those adults fight over you for something that should be yours. To know they aren’t sincere at all. My mom is very disappointing with his eldest brother, Kim Joonmyeon.” They both glanced at him, who bickered a few steps away from them with the side of Jongdae’s father’s family member. “That man is just taking advantage of his late sister’s wealth.”

 

The way Jongin spoke, Jongdae could felt the younger was more matured than himself. Jongin’s curable words went straightly into his heart, comforting him.

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________________

 

 

“Jongdae. Are you okay?” Waving his hand in front of the older’s face, at last, he gained a respond. “You’re spacing up till the cloud nine.” He laughed softly. “So, what are you going to tell me?”

The past reminded him. Reminded him to make the right decision.

Bravely, he replied, “No. There’s nothing.” He smiled. How painful to be happy when a heart was breaking. “Just, good luck on confessing to her. You deserve her.”

 

The decision where he chose based on the past. Not, from the future he saw.

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Days past. Weeks past. The relationship between Haejin and Jongdae became cold. She could count the amount of their conversations. Excluded the ‘hi’ and ‘goodbye’. The guy she used to have a walk together heading back home, was no longer beside her, accompanying her. Suddenly, she felt a lost in her heart. Like receiving a letter without words. Empty.

 

Days past. Weeks past. She noticed that she was getting closer to Jongin. This tan skin guy showed her something. Something she was scared to guess. He was showing her a deep silent feeling he hid in his heart. But she knew it well. His concern. His sweet words. His stare. They were some sort of sign. Sign of love. Affection.

It didn’t take too long after she began to guess, and Jongin brace up himself to confess. She was speechless at first. But she never found anything wrong in Jongin. In fact, she seemed to fail on spoting his flaw. He was way too perfect. Somehow, she knew this wasn’t right. She knew who exactly she wanted. Requesting some days to think, Jongin understood her well and he gladly waited.

 

Jongdae put his arm under the pouring sky and the droplets hit his palm. Clouds were crying hardly. How he hoped he brought an umbrella, instead of his sketchbook.

 

“Alone?” That soothing voice. He missed it, but he kept denying. Slowly, he turned his head and met her eyes, along with her sweet smile. Staring at her, he took back his thoughts of bringing an umbrella. How he hoped the time would freeze. If it were possible.

He his dry lips and gave a small nod. “Yes. What… What are you doing here?” he stumbled.

 

It amused her, seeing the innocent guy beside her. She soon put her arm under the rain and let her palm soaking wet, just like him. “I am waiting for a friend who is getting further away from me, day by day.” The answer snapped him. Jongdae felt guilty as he knew Haejin’s words were purposely shot on his nose. “I won’t ask you why you avoid me. I just want to know, who is my future because someone had confessed to me. I want to ensure whether he is the right one or not.”

Jongdae stared at her side facial and pulled his left arm under the rain and wiped it with a handkerchief. “Then you should except him. It is better to not know the future. If you did, there is nothing to live for. Maybe yesterday will be a history, today is a present and tomorrow is a surprise. But if you know everything, everyday will always be a present. No history, no surprise.” He was ready to go, when a hand grasped his wrist, stopping him.

 

“I am doubting myself. I doubt about my feeling.” She lowered her head. “Should I wait for him or let he waits for me?” It gave a deep meaning. Her mind was thinking about two guys. Between a guy who she should wait, or the guy who was waiting for her. “Please, Jongdae…”

This was hard. Harder than the exam which he just had to study and answered. But now, he had to decide from the bottom of his heart. Softly, he pulled his wrist, freeing himself. His expression hardened. “Promise me. When you know your future, you won’t change your mind?”

“I haven’t decide on anything. Why should I change my mind?” her habit came. Her habit, which loved to argue with people.

 

Sighing in frustration, Jongdae grabbed his bag and runaway. Haejin blinked for a few times before chasing him. The rain became heavier.

 

“Jongdae!” she shouted her lung out, but he never turned. “Kim Jongdae!”

He stopped and shut his eyes for a few seconds, before spinning around. They both stood under the dark sky, faraway from each other with water dripping from their heads. “You should just accept Jongin! He is way better than your future!”

Haejin startled. “I… I never told you who confessed to me.”

 

He lost his words. He had overshoot. In a trice, Jongdae runaway, ignoring Haejin. Somehow, life wasn’t a fairytale, where the girl chased you back and confessed and gotten to be together. Life was fact.

 

The fact was life.

The fact that Kim Jongdae was too broken. That he missed the vehicle coming to his way. That he missed her voice, calling for his name. That he missed how it felt the rain was pouring, touching his skin. And that he missed to see, the clear droplets on the ground had changed into red.

 

The fact that he missed everything.

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

For the third time, he glanced at his fancy watch, waiting for the love. Then only, she turned up, anxiousness drew all over her face. “Am I late? How long have you been waiting for me?”

He smiled. “Not too long. Let’s go.” He simply reached her hand and grasped it tightly. “I really like you, Byun Haejin.”

Haejin blushed. “Stop it, Jongin. Since the day I accepted your confession, you kept repeating the same thing.” She pouted and gazed the wide blue sky.

“I just want to remind you, everyday.” Jongin shrugged and inserted the key in its right place. Soon, the motorbike’s engine could be heard. “Come on. Jongdae is waiting for us in the hospital.”

As that name hit her pinna, she couldn’t help herself for not feeling a little clenched in her heart. “Yes.” Breathless, she replied him.

 

Haejin got on the bike, and for a moment, she became numb. She stared at her boyfriend’s torso and hesitance attacked her, mercilessly.

Glancing at the back a little, Jongin shook his head. “Hug me. I’ve already taken a bath. I’m clean, okay. And you don’t want to fall from the bike, do you?” He joked and pulled her hand, forcing her to wrapped her arms around him. “Okay, here we go!”

 

Less than fifteen minutes, they were in front of the big hospital. Saturday, today was. No parking. Jongin told Haejin to go in first, while he searched for the precious space to park his motorbike. Haejin gladly agreed and went inside as fast as she could. Using the elevator, walking a few steps, she stood at the door of Jongdae’s room.

 

“Just get me if you need anything, okay, Jongdae?” The nurse smiled before leaving him. He stared at the bandage around his hand and arms. The doctor said, it was badly injured. His precious hand was also been told that it couldn’t hold a thing properly. Included, a pencil.

 

No more sketching. No more drawing. He lost everything.

 

“Hey.” Walking toward Jongdae, Haejin couldn’t stop playing with her fingers. She then sat on the edge of his bed, instead of the chair provided. “How are you doing?”

Nodding eagerly. “Yes, totally fine. Where’s Jongin?”

“Searching for some space, though.” She chuckled, with her head hung low. Lower and lower. “I’m worried about you. I keep blaming myself. If only I…”

Jongdae held her shoulder. “No. It’s not your fault. If only I weren’t so emotional, this won’t happen.”

“And now you can’t sketch anymore. You can’t sketch my future.” The last line, it was barely audible.

“Pardon? What did you-”

 

“Hey, Kim Jongdae!” A loud voice echoed all over the room, making both of them startled. “I’m here to save my lovely cousin,” said Jongin, throwing a big hug to the older guy.

 

The three of them began to tell stories among each other. It ended up with either laughters or dissatisfactions. They joked and told some hilarious things they did. Revealing some secrets they shouldn’t. Arguing over a small matter. The room became bright, with sincere happy voices. Jongdae sighed, wishing his room would be this merry, everyday.

 

Time flew so fast. They had been there for more than two hours. Homes were waiting for Jongin and Haejin. While Jongdae, he still needed to stay in the hospital for another one more week.

Bade a goodbye, they headed home. The sun was setting down and the moon was eager to come up. Jongdae reached the sketchbook on the side table, using all his strength to hold it. His hand was shaking, like the book weigh so much. He tried to grab a pencil, but soon, it fell.

 

“Jongdae-sshi, did you call me?” A nurse showed up.

He nodded. “I want a jug of water, if you don’t mind. I’ve drank the whole of it just now.”

The middle-aged woman smiled warmly. “Of course, you can.  I’ll be back in a few minutes. Wait for me.” And she was gone.

 

Left alone, the dream he had last night came on his mind, playing back like a theater.

The girl in the white gown, he searched for her everywhere, after she disappeared. But she was nowhere to be found. The wind blew, letting the petal of sakuras been blown together, in the air. It felt like he was in paradise. Paradise of dream.

 

On that time, he felt a pair of arms around his waist, embracing him tightly. He was too stunned to react.

“I chose you.” The girl said.

Soon, the cloud of dream vanished.

 

Somehow, he couldn't figure out what those dreams meant.

 

_______________________________________________________________________________

 

While Jongin and Haejin, who had just stepped out from the entrance of the hospital, on the way back to their houses. Haejin froze on her spot, startling Jongin, as their fingers were interlaced with each other, lovingly. He gazed at the beautiful girl who he had claimed as his. That expression on her face, he knew what it meant. He was just very scared to guess. He afraid, he would be torn apart if his wild imaginations were right.

 

But on this moment, selfish wasn’t the right choice either.

Painfully, he let off her hand. Maybe, this is the best, he mentally noted. “I will close my eyes, and count to three. You have to choose between letting me see you when I open my eyes, or not seeing you again.

 

Haejin became speechless, but she got his words.

 

He started, “one…”

“Two…” He gulped. Deep inside, he was hoping he would see her again when his eyes fluttered opened. And the answer,

“Three.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She was gone.

 

                          THE END                      

 

When you sacrifice for people,
Don't forget that people will sacrifice for you too.
muslim's halifah

 

_________________________________________________________________________

Thank you very much for reading this story. I know I posted it a bit late. SORRY. TOT
For all my lovely readers and subscribers, thank you very much for spending your time for this.
And remember to comment, okay? Promise me? ^^V
Well, another thing you have to remember is, believe in destiny. Even thousand obstacles you faced,
if that person is destinied for you, you'll be with him/her no matter what.
Remember. That's all. Thank you! :D