chapter 33

Bite Me

FEW YEARS LATER

"Wow, he must really like our cafe" Sunggyu comments as he watches the handsome customer crossing the road and making his way towards his cafe, today marking it as the fifth day in a row. 

At 22, Sunggyu had already achieved his dream; he owned a cafe and was an accounting teacher at Seoul University, the same university where he completed his doctoral in business and accounting. He grew up in an orphange in Seoul but he didn't let that factor hold him back; he thrived everyday and with his talent and hard work he reached this far in his life. 

"Or he must really like the cafe owner" Soyeon chirps from the cash counter where she was arranging the coins.

The cafe opened just few minutes ago, so it was almost empty except the workers and the handsome customer who was going to enter in few minutes of course.

"Oh as if" Sunggyu tries to hide his blush with a scoff "I am sure, he isn't even gay."

"Sure. That's why he keeps stealing secretive glances at your direction which isn't that seceretive" Donghyun chimes in from where he was filling two cups of coffee behind the counter.

Sunggyu wants to let out a groan but it'd seem too childish for a grown up man like him so he sighs instead "Well sad thing, since I am not interested in dating."

So far in his life, Sunggyu had never been in a relationship before. Yes, he had his first awkward kiss with girl named Yeri, when he was 13 but that was it. He really didn't find any necessity to go on dates and get into relationship; he was happy by himself.

Donghyun walks to his table and hands Sunggyu his cup of coffee "You're never interested in dating" he says as he settles on the chair opposite to Sunggyu "And if this goes on, you're gonna die alone."

Donghyun was Sunggyu's business partner; he had met the man in a bar and they had instantly become good friends. Few weeks after getting to know about each other, Sunggyu had confessed his future vision to the one year old elder man; that was 3 years ago when he was still completing his doctoral degree. 

"Donghyun not you too" Sunggyu says, this time not being able to keep his whiny undertone out of his voice.

Donghyun lets out a laugh  "How long are you gonna live a lonely life Gyuzi? I love you, but I am not gonna be your oldage partner you know" he says and takes a sip from his coffee.

Sunggyu rolls his eyes and is about to retort with a snarky comment but is stopped when the handsome stranger walks past him and gets comfortable on the table which was right in front of Sunggyu's.

Damn when did he enter the cafe.

Sunggyu observes that the man looked extra hot today, he was wearing white tee shirt with slightly ripped denim pants and had his hair styled upwards, giving him a cool boyfriend-ish look.

Sunggyu's face heats up when the stranger looks at his direction and their eyes lock together for few heartbeats. The man gives him a soft smile and turns his attention back to his usual routine: pulling a book out of his side bag and starting with his reading session, as if he didn't just catch Sunggyu checking him out. Sunggyu cringes inwardly and lowers his eye to the coffee in his hand, praying to god that the man does not think that Sunggyu is a creep. 

"Oooo our Sunggyu's got a crush on someone" Donghyun singsongs, a smug undertone in his voice.

Sunggyu's eyes widen and he kicks Donghyun's leg under the table "Shut up!" he whispers harshly to his best friend and glances in the handsome stranger's direction, praying damn hard that the man didn't hear his best friend's comment. By the small smile playing on the stranger's lips, it was sure that he did hear the comment.

Sunggyu wants to choke Donghyun to death for embarassing him like this. But it was like his friend had personally taken it as his job to embarrass Sunggyu, because despite the deathly glare that Sunggyu was shooting him, Donghyun still continued with a huge smirk "Soyeon, treat our regular customer well dear."

Kang Donghyun was a dead man.

Soyeon giggles as she makes her way to the customer's table "The usual, sir?" she asks politely.

The man flashes his bright smile at Soyeon "Yes. And please call me Woohyun" he glances in Sunggyu's direction as he completes the sentence.

Sunggyu pretends to drink his coffee as he memorizes the stranger's name. Woohyun. Why did the name sound familiar to him? 

He is so lost in thoughts that he doesn't notice Woohyun standing in front of him until the other waves his hand in front of Sunggyu's face.

"Uh, mind if I take a seat?" Woohyun asks hesistantly, pointing to the chair between Sunggyu and Donghyun. 

"No, not at all. In fact, I was just gonna leave," Donghyun says while getting up from his chair while Sunggyu stutters for a reply to give "Got some work to do, you guys enjoy" Donghyun smiles at Woohyun and gives a not-so-subtle smirk to Sunggyu before leaving.

"Hey" Woohyun greets while taking a seat beside Sunggyu.

"H-hi, please don't mind my friend. He's on caffine high" Sunggyu smiles shyly at Woohyun. He gets a beautiful laugh in reply which makes him get an incomplete flashback; he has heard this voice, this laugh, but when? Where? His mind hurts as he tries to think more.

"Are you alright?" Woohyun asks placing his hand on Sunggyu's shoulder and bringing him back to present.

"Uhh, yea yea. Sorry, just got a deja vu, sort of" he half lies.

"That was a bad pick-up line" Woohyun teases.

Sunggyu laughs, already feeling himself getting comfortable around the other.

"So, you must've noticed that I kind of uh" Woohyun says looking at Sunggyu with a small smile "well, I like you."

"Wow, straight to the point huh?" Sunggyu hides his blush behind the coffee cup that he is holding near his lips. 

Woohyun scratches the back of his head with a nervours laugh "Sorry, I at being smooth."

Wow, how can this man be nervous and bashful at the same time.

"That I notice" Sunggyu replies with a small laugh "so you started coming here to stalk me?" he asks lightly.

"Nah, came here on my friend's recommendation but continued in a hope to catch your attention" Woohyun says.

"Oh and I thought it was because of my awesome cafe" Sunggyu gives a playful pout.

"Well, that too but mostly because of it's owner" Woohyun says, giving Sunggyu a meaningful look.

Sunggyu bites his lower lip, trying to hide his smile "Are you around from this area?" he asks as a way to change the topic.

"Yea, just shifted here a week ago."

"Here's your drink" Rachel says placing Woohyun's strawberry cappucino on the table. 

"Thank you" Woohyun flashes his dimpled smile at the girl before she leaves.

"So, how do you find our locality?"

"I like it here, perfect combination of village and metropolitian area" Woohyun replies, earning a genuine smile from Sunggyu.

"Why did you move here though?" Sunggyu asks curiously.

Woohyun shrugs "No particular reason, to be honest" he says.

They talk and talk until the cafe starts getting busy and they cannot hear each other over the noise of their surrounding.

"So, would you like to go on a date with me?" Woohyun asks, his heart beating wildly.

"I don't know. I hardly know you" Sunggyu says. Again feeling a sense of deja vu impeding his mind.

"I'll wait. I can wait for you" Woohyun replies sincerely.

"I-- Woohyun, I don't even know who you are--"

"I'm sorry, I really am. But you do know me, you just don't remember. And I'll wait. I can wait forever for you."

Sunggyu clutches his head as the words ring his mind, two faceless person having this conversation.

"Hey, are you alright?" 

"Yes, I guess I just need a little rest" Sunggyu says with a weak smile.

"I gotta go now, you take care ok?" Woohyun says getting up from his seat. He moves to pay at the counter on getting Sunggyu's nod in reply. 

When he is almost at the door, he hears Sunggyu calling his name. He turns around in time to find a blushing Sunggyu handing him a business card "I wrote my mobile number, in case you wanna contact me."

Woohyun's grin splits his face into two but he doesn't care, he is happy goddamn. He cannot control himself from hugging the other and so he does "Thank you" he whispers gratefully against the other's ear.

5 coffee dates, 2 movie dates and tons of texts later Sunggyu finally accepts to become his boyfriend.

Woohyun couldn't be much happier but he knows he gotta share the truth with his boyfriend sooner rather than later. Jin had said that once he crossed paths with Sunggyu, the other would get flashes of his previous life as dreams or flashbacks. That is the reason also why Woohyun waited so many years. 

He needs to tell the truth to his lover soon though, he has seen how tired the other started looking recently and Woohyun can tell that it is because of the flashbacks and the dreams. But he is scared of the outcome.

It's a cold winter evening, few days remaining for christmas and he and Sunggyu are cuddled on the sofa watching marathon of Running Man.

When they get up from the couch and go to the kitchen for coffee break, Woohyun takes the opportunity to broach the matter.

"Sunggyu. I need to talk with you."

Sunggyu's back stiffens at that and he turns to face Woohyun with a blank expression "Is it the 'it's not working between us' kinda speech?" he asks with a strained chuckle.

"What? Of course not. God, why would you think that?" Woohyun says giving the other a baffled look.

Sunggyu relaxes and gives him a tired shrug. Standing against the counter with his head hung low, he looks very vulnerable and as if he bears the weight of the entire world.

Woohyun walks to his lover and hugs him to his chest "I'm so sorry baby" he whispers against Sunggyu's ears and before Sunggyu can ask why he's apologising, he continues "The faceless people talking in your dreams, its us; the flashbacks you get from time to time, its about your past life."

And as Woohyun had feared, Sunggyu pushes away from him and gives him a scared look.

When Woohyun tries to walk closer to him, Sunggyu takes a step back and stops him with his hand "Don't come closer. Who are you? How do you know about my dreams?"

Woohyun hates the scared, terrified expression on his lover's face "Just give me a chance to explain" he pleads.

Sunggyu take two deep breaths and gives Woohyun a hard look "Alright, I'll bite."

It takes Woohyun half an hour to explain Sunggyu all about his past life, about the key and about them. 

At some parts, Sunggyu looks at Woohyun as if he is a crazy person but at some parts he blinks at him as if the things that Woohyun said is the same as his dreams. 

"Why did you wait so many years then?"

"I was waiting for the right time. Couldn't burden you with all this when you were young, you'd have hated me" Woohyun says giving the other a small smile.

Sunggyu gnaws at his lower lip. He needs time to process all this, it's too much goddamn information. He's grateful and appreciates that Woohyun waited so long but he needs time to digest all this information.

"I need time" Sunggyu says resolutely.

He was just told that he is a mortal and his lover is a vampire and that they are soulmates. This changes so many things in his life and he needs time. Woohyun has to understand.

Woohyun opens his mouth to say something but stops and gives Sunggyu a painful nod.

_____
 

It's almost two weeks since that day and Woohyun has completely lost hope. It's 2 in the night of the 2nd week of January when he gets a call from Sunggyu.

"You didn't locate me sooner" comes the whisper, voice ragged from too much crying.

"You were too hard on me while I was courting you" Woohyun replies in a soft voice.

The wet laugh that he receives from Sunggyu mends and soothes him at once.

Their last ever conversation.

All his sleepless nights, waiting for Sunggyu to grow up. All the wait for them to get together. All his pain at finding Sunggyu but yet having to maintain a distance from him. 3 decade old memories rushing and flooding his mind. 

"You did try every damn charm of yours on me" Sunggyu replies with his raw voice, his smile audible through the phone.

"And you didn't fall in love with anyone" Woohyun says, his voice breaking at the last word. He cannot help the tears that roll down his cheeks "God, I thought you'd never call" he confesses.

"I'm sorry to make you wait" Sunggyu whispers brokenly.

"It's fine babe, you've lifetime to makeup for it" Woohyun teases, wiping his tears away.

"That I do Mr. Nam, that I do" Sunggyu says, his voice holding a promise.


...aaaand the end! I hereby declare this fanfic completed xD I hope you guys are satisfied with the end, I tried my best.
-Love Minzy ♥