First Impressions

There's a Place for Us

~SANDARA’S POV~

 

I wonder why people always have to look for the exterior quality of things.

I’ve always hated that some people think that the only thing that matters are the things that they see upfront and would right there and then be convinced that the exterior will be the same with the interior.

People always look at me with second glances. Sometimes those glances would escalate to third, fourth, fifth glances. It would always be followed by sweet and adoring smiles as if they’ve known me all their lives and is sure that I’ll be as sweet as they thought I would be. Apparently, it’s for the only reason that I have a sweet face and of course my personality should follow as that. Seriously? How can people be so shallow?

So here I am, trying not to notice the stares of people inside the train. I bet their minds are currently clicking on place arriving on the conclusion that I must be very nice because of this angelic face that I have. Yes, I can be this blunt. I like calling my ability to admit that I have a gorgeous face as ‘bluntness’ and not as ‘vanity’ because of only one reason… I don’t like this beauty that I possess, I actually despise it. Why? Because this is one of the root causes why people have preconceived notions about me and would instantly close their minds of everything else that I could possibly be.

Another one of the ‘root causes’ I’m talking about earlier is my family background. Because I came from a family of outstanding physicians it also has to follow that I’ll be a doctor someday, of course as an addition to those preconceived notions, I must be very intelligent too. I mentally scoff at those people who would always display shocked faces once they learn that I actually want to be a musician and not a physician. It’s like I have no right to be someone else except as a brainy, pretty girl with sweet personality and apparently a future doctor.

Because of that I have convinced myself that maybe I was born to be a disappointment, a living contradiction of everything. I always turn out to be the exact opposite of what people expect me to be.

I give each compartment a sideway glance. I don’t want to linger in front of each compartment long enough for people to stare at me. My best friend Bom said that I should be used to all the stares by this time but that would be close to impossible. Stares from people is a constant reminder that I am being judged all my life by all these people who set their eyes on me.

These compartments usually fits four people. I saw a couple of them that were not full yet but the anticipating actions from boys thinking that I would join them inside is all it takes for me to move on and look for an empty one. Some guys would actually move to one end of the seat only to give me space or would try to fit three of them for a two seater so that I could join their group of four. No. I won’t go in there. I will not give them the privilege to ogle at me the whole train ride. It would be absolutely torturous for me.

I found one empty compartment somewhere in the middle of the train and I was eager to get inside so that I can get back on my book that I was reading earlier. I really have to get back on that book because only a book can get my mind off from intrusive stares of people around me. But when I was about to slide the door a couple stepped behind me obviously planning to share a compartment with me.

“But honey, can’t we go to Paris instead? You know I’ve been dreaming to go there since I was little.” I heard the lady requesting while clinging to her boyfriend’s arm, her voice overflowing with aegyo.

The man’s voice is a mixture of different emotions. It went from frustrated, to guilty, to apologetic for not being able to give his girlfriend’s wish, and to something much deeper. “I know, I know… But darling we’ve already settled everything for our honeymoon ages ago. Everything’s booked already for Jeju. Our plane ticket, hotel reservations, and the different activities that we will be doing there. How about I make it up to you when we reach our 1st year anniversary?”

“What do you mean?” The girl looked up at him as if sizing him up. As if possessed by the curiosity of this girl, I also sneaked a peek to look at the man.

The man suddenly straightened his posture and looked at his girl directly in her eyes. “I’ll take you to Paris.”

I don’t know why but the sudden urge to get away from them surged within me. I’m not sure if it’s the smile that the girl gave to her partner or the way the man looked at her fiancé that filled me with envy. Their topic and their existence hit a sore spot that I’ve been nursing and I've been trying to conceal for almost a year already. I can’t do this. If sitting with four boys ogling at me is torturous then sitting with that couple would be the worst.

I scrambled away from them and pretended to go for the Comfort Room at the tail part of the train. That’s where I found an almost empty compartment. I said almost because someone beat me to it. It was a guy. I decided to go for it. Well, one guy is better than four right? I think I can handle one ogling guy than four, and it’s way better to face a single person than be the 3rd wheel of a lovey-dovey couple.

I opened the sliding door and I saw him putting his bag on the overhead compartment. He turned towards the door and I saw him wear the same expression I’ve seen a thousand times from different boys. I don’t know if I should be feeling annoyed or relieved that he just had his mouth slightly hanging open and at least he’s not giving me the ‘ogle eyes’ that I hate.

I was about to give him a polite smile but then I saw the realization dawning on his face that he had his mouth ajar and immediately closed it. I couldn’t help the mischievous smile that is about to break on my face. I saw him suddenly tense up, like he was thinking of other things other than me standing in front of him. When I realized that his demeanor changed I was compelled to ask for permission even though at first it wasn’t on my plan to ask for one.

“Do you mind?”

 

 

~NORMAL POV~

 

Sandara gestured on the seat adjacent to Donghae. Not waiting for his answer as if she already knew what he would say she immediately stepped forward and dropped her bag on her self-claimed seat and placed her guitar on the overhead compartment. She then plopped down on her seat and opened her book once again.

Donghae was befuddled by this beautiful but strange girl that suddenly barged in. He refuse to become again the awestruck person that he was a while ago.

Calm down Hae. Calm down.

He mentally instructed himself while he sat down. He decided that the best way to handle the situation is to ignore the girl even though his neck is itching to turn its way towards the girl. He put on his nonchalant face that he and Donghwa had practiced since they were a child whenever they did something wrong that would ensure an interrogation and a scolding from their mom. He then proceeded to stare outside the window hoping that something more interesting would happen outside so that he can focus on that instead of the girl.

 

***
 

Sandara was halfway through her reading when she noticed that it was suddenly as if she’s the only person in the compartment. She was so engrossed with her reading that she ultimately blocked off any outside disturbances but then once in a while she could still feel stares from people that passes through their compartment. But this time felt different so she sneaked a peek towards the man she’s sharing compartments with.

She saw him peacefully sleeping, his head slightly tilted upwards and he’s holding his camera with both hands even though its strap is still hanging on his neck. Now this was new to Sandara. A guy falling asleep in her presence is rare. And what more rare is how she noticed tiny details of this man’s facial features. She was entranced to see how the sunlight reflecting from the window falls on his face casting shadows underneath his eyelashes. Or how the left corner of his lips is tilted upwards as if he’s always on to something mischievous.

She smiled to herself and then resumed her reading.

 

***

Donghae woke up slowly when he thought he heard something weird. Are his ears betraying him? Could that sniffing sound he’s hearing right now is just a product of his imagination? Is he dreaming? But then he slowly opened his eyes and saw the blur of greens outside their window as their train passed by a canopy of thick trees. But wait, he could still hear it! And what’s worse is that the sniffing sound is now slowly turning to sound like a sob.

He slowly turned his head to look at the girl and true enough he found the beautiful girl with tears streaming down her face which is now contorted with embarrassment and grief.

Uh-oh...

 

****************************************************************************************

I updated!! Please congratulate me for this feat! Lol. I'm sorry, I didn't know how hard it could be to write a story.But now I know how hard it is to think and write of something good. I commend all writers! Wow! I'm actually out of words to praise you guys! You guys rock! Kudos!

And of course, I'm really really really glad and thankful to those who subscribed and upvoted my story and also to those who showed support by commenting! You don't know how much I appreciate it guys. It pushed me to finish this 2nd chapter. Yay! Thank you heaps! <3 ^____^

Btw, when it comes to DaraHae interaction in this chapter I know that you guys notice that there is almost none. And I'm truly sorry for that, I'm still breaking down each character. But hopefully I can give you guys a treat on the following chapters. Please just bear with me for a while. :)