A Myth and A Promise

A Myth and A Promise

신화와약속

A Myth and  A Promise



"When the flower falls as the bell rings, kiss your special someone there and your love will be last forever."
 

***


"Oppa! Luhan Oppa!"

A girl shouts from afar and successfully catches a right ear. Luhan, who just walks out from his home room, turns around to look at his caller. A smile quickly plastered on his thin lips when he saw who she is.

"What happen Jinnie?"

He asked the latter when the girl already stood in front of him. Minji, his favorite dongsaeng and the second ace, after him, of archery club. She also is the sister of his childhood friends and someone who he can introduced as his own sister, since they were so close. The girl always can bring smile on his face, like now. His little sister is smiling with her famous big, sweet smile and he is standing in front of her with a similar sign of happiness.

"Oppa, can I borrow the archery building key?"

The young girl asked. Archery club have it own building since it was the most popular and the best extracurricular in their school. As the captain and also the ace, Luhan was the only one who has the free access to get in there beside the pair of key in teachers room.

Minji eyes twinkle in hundred ways which makes night full of star get ashamed because it sparkles brighter.

"For what Jinnie? Do you want to have an extra practice?"

A thin blush creeps on his cheeks and make her white skin turn into soft pink, clearly showing her shyness and uneasiness. She plays with her long, slender fingers which was her habit that never changes.

"Ani. Uhm, yesterday I heard Kwangki and Naeun unni talk about a myth in there and… I want to try it."

"The one about the clock tower?"

Out of sudden a tall boy appeared behind the girl and joined their conversation. A brown haired boy with sharp eyes and perfect jaw line. He has a well-built body that accompanies his perfect face. The boy is wearing the school uniform; white shirt, black and dark blue checkered pants, navy blue blazer with red list on the collar and a red straight tie. But because of his perfect look, he looks like just walks out from a famous magazine cover, using a new arrival set of a branded cloth. With a soft smile plastered in his face, he comfortably circles an arm around the second ace neck.

"Do you want to try it with me, min?"

Sehun asked Minji again, but this time he has a teasing smile on his face. Luhan just watches the two from where his stand with a small smile. He always likes how they interact with each other, full of care and love. The older male has to admit that sometimes he was jealous but there was no reason to be right?

"Ya! Oppa! Don’t treat me like this! I wasn’t a kid anymore and I already have a boyfriend!"

The young girl said while trying to pry the strong hand on his neck.

"Then what? Can't I get close with my own sister? It's not like I permit you to date him too."

Sehun said with his arms crossed in front of his chest and a baby pout on his lips. He didn't like the fact that his little sister didn't clingy to him anymore. Oh Minji used to be a little baby girl who always follow him and Luhan everywhere they will go and do. She always said that she didn't need friend if she has her two brothers. The big brother didn't like seeing his sister grown up as a lady and get herself a boyfriend. It makes him felt likes the girl didn’t need him anymore and he didn’t want that feeling.

"Oppa! Lu Oppa! He is meany!"

Minji stomps his feet like a little girl he used to be while pouting and pointing at his own big brother. Luhan can't help but chuckle. The ace saw this little sweet bickering almost every day but he always found it cute and somehow he can’t get bored. Who would know if the school 'Cool Prince' and school 'Young Lady' who have a lot of fans swooning over them every day and everywhere can have this childish side? Ok, maybe Luhan know, but it was because he was growing up with those popular kids so he was an exception.

"Sehun-ah. Don't say something like that. It wasn’t good, okay? And you already give your permit to her remember? You even make Woonsoo knelt down and made a vow to never hurt her, right? Aren't you satisfied already?"

"Bu-"

"No but Oh Sehun."

One more thing. You can't see the almighty prince who always wins and get everything he wants whimpering and lose if his opponent wasn't Luhan. Somehow this makes Luhan popular and known as the school 'God of wisdom'. Or in Luhan mind, he was more likes their mother or father.

As usual, when he loses, Sehun whimpers like a dejected puppy. He hung his head low and makes a sad face. Luhan smile a little and give the latter pat on his crown of head. He knows the boy likes that kind of comforting and he always found his sulking side cute. Naturally Sehun hugs his comforter and Luhan whisper some shooting words to him while patting his board back.

"Sehun-ah, you always know that she will always be your sister but she also have grow up. Please let her have fun in her own way. We can trust her and Woonsoo. We also still can watch over her. Trust me, Woonsoo scared of you so he would makes your precious little sister sad, okay? Oh, and trust me, Minji still need her big brother and will always love you like the little Jinnie. So, smile, Sehun-ah."

He caresses the tall boy chin at his last sentence which makes Sehun smile a bit and breaks the hug. One more time, the older male pats his head which makes the taller boy bent down a little so the shorter male gets a better access. Luhan always likes the way Sehun’s brown soft locks felt on his palm and Sehun always like the feeling of being protected by the older simple act.

"You two should try this myth too. It will be good if you two become a couple."

Minji talks after her brothers pulled away with a loving smile. Since he was a little girl, Minji always adores his two brother closeness. The way they act between each other, how they manage to keep the other accompany although they were so busy, and how they know each other very well. She grew up with the two perfect figures as his role play and when she knew about love, they were also her role couple. For her, Luhan and Sehun was the real meaning of love. The way they protect, take care, respect and support each other indirectly showed how much love can do. It was her biggest dream to see her big brothers move into a more serious relationship.

 Unexpectedly, Luhan chuckles at Minji word.

"There’s no way it can happen, ji. Your brother here already rejected me."

"Bwoh!!!"
 

***

"Ya! Luhan-ah! Why don't you say anything to me?"

Luhan was reading in peace at the library until Woonsoo barged into the room while yelling loudly, didn’t care about his surroundings. He totally ruined the peace but who would blame him? Number one student, both in athletic and studies, and also the son of the richest man in the country. Nobody dare to have a problem with the school ‘God Son’. Maybe he seems perfect with it plus his looks, but people don't know that actually he is just a genius with derp and clumsy inner self.

"Woonnie, don't be so loud. This is library you know."

"Jinjja? How did I get here?"

With the book in his hand, Luhan covers his face with it. He can't stand seeing his chiggu derp side. Sometimes his friend can be the stupidest person in the world and sometimes it can be extremely annoying, even the most patient boy can get annoyed.

"Woonsoo-ah, come here and sit please. Don't put on such a show. Ppali."

Luhan pats the sit next to him, mentioning the boy to sit which is gradually accepted. Woonsoo sits next to Luhan harshly then he grabs the younger shoulder.

"Luhan, why are you never told me that you already ask Sehun out, hah? Jinjja-yo! Don't you think me as a friend? Hah?!"

"Woonsoo-ya, calm down."

"How dare you! I told you everything about me and Jin, but you didn't tell me anything? I don't even know you like Sehun! But you two really are make a good couple. But still! How come yo-"

"Lee Woonsoo!"

Luhan yelled. He wasn't someone who use to yell and if he do it, you better stop, or else.

"Ya! Lee Woonsoo! Can you calm down first?"

In a snap, the loud boy becomes silent. He just sits there frozen. He didn't dare to let out any other noise or even blink. Sehun ever shared his own experience and he said it was clearly traumatizing. That day the latter was sick but he became a rebel and refused Luhan suggestion to rest. He was playing all day till he made himself faint. The first thing he saw back then was Luhan concerned face but soon it changed into a furious one then the hell come to the earth. He yelled at him for almost an hour about how careless, stupid and rebel he is. Sehun only could hung his head low and bit his lips. Nobody ever saw this side of Luhan and he didn’t plan to have more. The only good thing was, after that Luhan took a full care of the sick boy till he fully recovered, even with much stomping and scoffing.

"Aish! Now I understand why Sehun didn't let you date Minji. How can she even choose you?"

The slightly younger male rubs his temple with his finger while make an annoyed face. While Woonsoo plays with his fingers nervously and make a sorry face. Suddenly Luhan stands up which make the other flinched.

"Follow me."

He said after finished collecting his stuff. He walks out the library with his friend tailing behind. The younger male says sorry to the librarian when he reached the receptionist then opens and closes the door of the library with many eyes stared. Who wouldn't stare if the one who walks out the room was the one who makes the show and also the hottest topic of the week?

Somehow, the trio conversation was known by the whole school. May be it's because of Sehun or his own fans since many of them used to pairing them up. So this news was a massive shock for them.

Luhan leads Woonsoo to the practice building. They walk in an awkward silence. Luhan simply didn’t want to talks till they reach the decent place while Woonsoo just too afraid to talk. His dongsaeng is very scary sometimes. When they reached the empty archery room, he slumps his bag down then turns around, facing the other man who still hung his head low.

"What do you want to know?"

He said softly which makes Woonsoo raised his head up.

"Why you didn’t tell me?"

He asked with softer voice than before but it wasn't full of sadness, instead it full with concern.

"I don't even know you like him."

Luhan let out a sigh then he pushes himself down and sits with his back on the wall. Woonsoo sits beside him with a hand on the other male knee, giving him courage to recalling his sad past.

"It's a mistake. There's no point to share it with people."

"Luhan-ah, love wasn't a mistake. It's a point of happiness. You can't think like that."

The younger male chuckle mockingly. Woonsoo knows very well that it wasn't for his word but Luhan mocks himself because it was Luhan's own word. He told Woonsoo his phrase when the latter almost give up from getting Minji because of the girl’s brother. Sehun was so stubborn and he made everything harder for the unformed couple.

"It is, except this one. Nothing can be worse than this, Woonnie. I don't even tell him directly yet he already rejected me."

"You didn't tell him?"

Luhan shakes his head. The archery room never gets this gloomy. It was used to be full with passion and happiness, but now concern and sadness playing in the air like it can kill who ever come in.

"There's no need to tell him if you already know the answer. It was a no since the beginning and it would never change."

The gloomy aura gets worse as tears start playing around in Luhan's eyes. But the younger male can hold it up. He had been known as a soft hearted boy but he never cry in front of people, except one person.

"How would you know his answer if you don't asked him yet? This wasn't you, Luhan. The Luhan I know wouldn't give up this easy."

Woonsoo rubs the younger back as the latter rests his head on his knees while hugging it. Seeing his best friend this vulnerable make his heart tears apart.

"I never can be me when I'm with him and there's no need to ask him if his friends already do it."

Luhan answered as he straighten his body to the wall and close his eyes. A tears slowly rolling down his pink cheek. Woonsoo wants to stop this conversation but if he wants to help, he must know the story till the end, so he just let the younger continuing his story, the most painful memory in his life.
 

***


Luhan had been waiting for Sehun for almost two hours now, but he didn't mind it. He love spending time on the bench and watch the younger male practicing basketball with his team. Also, if he patient enough and the male didn't go with his friends, they'll be going home together. He didn't need to ask, Sehun will always be the one who asked him first. Luhan can't get happier. Even if he has to secretly loving the boy, Sehun always put him first. So he won't ask for more.

The basketball practice already over a while ago and Sehun already saw him plus gave a sign that they'll go home together after he showered. Being inpatient boy he is, Luhan chose to walk to the locker room and waited outside. Sadly, he didn't know that it was a wrong choice.

As he arrived in front of the room, he can hear all of the conversation behind the door. Usually he will found something funny or interesting but that day, everything he heard broke his heart.

"Sehun! What do you think about Luhan?"

He could heard one of Sehun friend, if he didn't wrong it was Honwo' voice. At this, his heart was rapidly beating because he also wanted to know the answer.

"He is good. He has a very well personality, a kind yet a strong boy. His look is good too. I think he good in everything. Why?"

"Do you like him?"

Luhan's heart burst. He unconsciously held his breath, anticipating the answer.

"Of course I like him. Why? Why do you care about this?"

At this point, the older male's heart melted and a big, happy smile formed. Then he heard another voice. That time it sounded like Jonghun's.

"So the gossip was true! The two of you were dating right? I knew it!"

"Bwoh! I never heard that kind of gossip!"

Luhan could imagine Sehun's shocked face and that made him chuckle. A light dust of red already plastered on his checks, made his face hot and red. He bends to the wall beside the door and played with his fingers. The sweet smile never leaves his happy face.

"Aish, where are you every day? All of people in this school knew about that even the neighbor students knew. But you, the main topic didn't know? How sad!"

True. The older boy can't get more agree with Honwo's statement. The famous boy never knows about that kind of thing. He knows that the latter didn't like it and because of that, all kind of gossip can get through his ear.

"Ya! It wasn't my fault! I never interested in that kind of thing so I refused to know and No, we didn't dating."

"Jinjja?"

Luhan can hear the whole room burst together. Even if it was true, but hearing it from Sehun made his heart ache.

"Ah-ha. 100% sure. We were totally didn't date and I don't think it can happen."

Luhan frozes but soon he hangs his head low. He didn't know since when but he can felt a tear fell down to his hand, the first drop since he was 3.

"Both of us were childhood friends and I don't want it to change. I don't want that kind of thing change what we have now."

More tears fell down after Sehun had said that. Luhan quickly swept the tear and strain, but it won't stop. He can't hear the other thing since he run to the nearest restroom. His mind was full with Sehun's words and his heart ache badly. He can't contain the pain and he squatted, hugging his knee while crying silently.

He didn't know how long he stayed there till his phone rang. The crying mess knew it by his heart that the caller was Sehun. He quickly stood up and washed his face. When his felt better, he answered the call.

"Lu, where are you?"

A single tear rolled again as he heard the voice. The one he loves the most but also the one he didn't want to hear mostly that time.

"Lu?"

"Ah, sorry. I-I was at the toilet. Wae? Are you done?"

"Oh. I'm in front of my locker. Do you want to come here or should I pick you there?"

"I-I'll go there. Just wait."

"Oh. Come fast please. My stomach was crying already."

"Ok. Bye."

"Bye."

He hung up then looked at the mirror one more time. After he let out a heavy sigh, he walked out the room and went to Sehun.

When they met, both of them didn't said anything and just walked to the front gate. Luhan didn't want to talk because his heart still hurt while Sehun was too concern to the other boy and he didn't want to break him. He knew something was wrong but his heart told him to do not ask.

They walked home in silence, which was really unusual. Sehun tried to start a conversation but it only stayed for a little while. Luhan only asked with a simple and short answer and this started to annoy him.

"Lu, do you want to eat outside? I'll pay."

Sehun knew better that Luhan never reject food especially when it was free so he thought that this was a good way to start a conversation. At least make the mood lighter.

"Sorry, but I'm not in my mood. If you want to eat, I can go home by myself."

The older said without raising his head. Luhan never looked Sehun at the eyes since the met and Sehun didn't know why but he started to miss those doe-brown-eyes. This made him couldn't stand more.

"Lu, what's wrong?"

He asked after he grabbed the hand of the man which made them stopped at the middle on the pavement.

"Nothing wrong."

"Lu, don't lie to me. Look at me, Lu. If there was really nothing, then say it to me while looking at me."

He didn't release his grip.

"Lu…"

Luhan refused to look up so he lifted the chin slowly with his two fingers. He can clearly saw sadness and rejected at those eyes but he didn't know why.

"Lu, tell me. What's wrong?"

Sehun asked softly, like he didn't want to break the fragile boy with his word. He could saw the other eyes got watery and his heart aches more.

"I, I can't tell you."

With that, Luhan tried to pry his finger. He scared that the care and concern in that brown orbs could made him fell deeper to the tall boy. Sehun then released his chin and hand but he soon felt a pair of strong arms circling around his now trembling shoulder.

"It's okay Lu. Everything is okay. I don't know what make you this sad but trust me everything is okay."

Luhan can't refrain anymore. At that time, for the first time in his life he cried, cried hard like a baby. He never cries that hard. It wasn't him but as he said, he can't be himself when he was with Sehun.

Sehun kept calming the older boy with patted his back and said some shooting words. He accepted the small punches on his chest from Luhan. He knew that the latter needed some impingement, and he didn't mind being his punch bag. When the cry dies, the older boy released himself from the hug.

"Sorry, I made your shirt dirty."

He said while rubbing his red, swollen eye. The taller male chuckled a bit because of his comment.

"It's okay, Lu. I don't care. Shall we go home now?"

Sehun asked softly, very soft and gentle. Luhan didn't want to admit but he knew that he already fell deeper to the caring boy heart.

Sehun intertwined their hand, the way that they always do since they can barely walks. Luhan didn't resist it and somehow it made Sehun relieved.


Their continued their way back in silence but this time it more comfortable for both. When they reached their house, which is beside each other, Sehun walked the older to his front door. Something he didn't used to do but he felt like he had to do it.

After Luhan opened the lock, he turned around and faces Sehun.

"Namja, let's make a promise."

Luhan said while extended his ring finger to Sehun. With a confused look, the younger male connected his own ring finger with the latter's. It was their way of making a promised, the unbreakable promise.

"Let's promise. Don't ever break our friendship and don't ever let anything to shake it. We can't hurt each other, we can't ignore each other. We can't tease each other badly. We can't fight and we can't hate each other. The most important…"

Luhan put a silent space. He was a little bit hesitating but he knew he needed this promise.

"Don't ever fall in love with each other."

A frown clearly formed on Sehun’s face. He didn't understand why Luhan suddenly made this and it was extremely weird. The frown got deeper when he saw Luhan smile sadly.

"Let's stay being like this, a childhood friend. The most best friend ever and only. Let's stay like this forever. Arraso?"

Sehun can saw the tear glint when Luhan looked up a little and faced him right at his eyes. This made him nod to the promise. He looked at the other forced smile and he got an urge to hug the latter. But before he can move his body, Luhan already said an awkward goodbye and closed the door.

The older man quickly run to his room dumped his bag to his bed and went straightly to the shower. He quickly undressed himself and turned the shower on. Let it pouring cold water to his pained body and heart. He thought about everything that happened and once again he cried.

That night he made his own conclusion that Sehun was right. Love only makes their friendship tears apart. Everything already felt amazing now. He promised to himself that he will kill those feeling, letting the love go and keeping the friendship. He knows that Sehun was his everything and he didn't want to lose it. There wouldn't be Sehun and Luhan, as one but there will only be Sehun and Luhan, as childhood friends
.
 

***


"You come to school few months after that so you wouldn't know. Sehun's word spread like a pouring rain so the gossip died soon by itself."

Woonsoo hugs his best friend tightly which makes Luhan hugs him back.

"Luhan-ah, I never know your love life was that sad. Mianhe."

"Ya. You don't do anything wrong, Woonnie. It was nothing since I…I already didn't have a feeling toward him."

Woonsoo knows that the latter was lying. He still has the feeling and he can clearly see it in his eyes when the younger told him the story, plus when he took a deep breath between his words. But Woonsoo also knows that he can't make Luhan admit it with force. He has to open the lock of his own heart once again and realize it by himself. The said boy was the one who lock it and the only one who has to open it.

"I'll make you happy, Lu. me. I'll do anything for you."

Woonsoo said with determination on his round eyes as he gives an arm length space between their bodies. Luhan only laughs then answers.

"Then promise me, don't you ever hurt Minji. If not, you'll never see your shadow again. Arraso?"

He said with teasing smile. Luhan was a big hearted boy and have a very strong feeling. As good as he can show it, as good as he can hide it. For him, his beloved feeling is more important than his own. This makes Woonsoo more proud to his best friend.

"Aye aye, captain."

He does the respectful sign to the younger then both of them burst into laughter.
 

***


A soft click can be heard twice as Luhan opened the door of his house. He just went home from another intense archery practice. His talks with Woonsoo earlier affected him a little so he can't do a few shoot properly. That’s why he practiced harder than usual. The ace didn’t want to make his team name being looked down because of a improper captain and ace.

He takes off his shoes as he shouts a little 'I'm home.' as usual. But there's no answer. Usually his mom will answer him from the kitchen with rustling voice as the background. But today he got nothing. He knows something was wrong so he goes to the kitchen. There was nothing.

The he heard a small cough from upstairs. He quickly runs up and searches for the source. Another cough comes from his little brother room then he runs and opens the white-wooden door.

Inside, there was a little boy who looks like him a lot, brown-honey hair, pair of big doe eyes, a button nose, thin lips, and a small body inside a bigger pajama. Completely a baby faced little boy who will make nobody believe that he was 7 instead of 4. The said boy was trying to get up from the bed and Luhan can sees that he wasn't alright.

"Myunggie, are you alright?"

He approaches the bed with a worried face plastered on his face. His brother has a bad immune system so even a small sickness can caused a lot of problem. But he rarely sick so the family didn't usually get worried.

Myunghyun is a bundle of joy for the small family so he really is means a lot especially for Luhan. His baby brother born exactly at his birthday, as he wishes. He once wanted a brother for his present and god gave him on the right time.

"Aigoo, you're burning! Did you drink your medicine yet?"

Luhan asked in panic after he felt his brother forehead. He never good in handling sickness, he even he can't take care of himself when he sick. Sehun used to be there 24 hours and he will leave after Luhan fully recovered. The latter will take care of him day and night. He never leave Luhan side except for school but when the older sickness was bad, he will ditched school because Luhan is more important.

"Where is umma and appa? Didn't they know that you're sick?"

He asked before his brother can even answer his first question. Myunghyun chuckles. His big brother panic face was too cute to handle.

"Calm down hyung. I'm okay. I already drink my medicine and if you forgot, which you totally is, appa and umma just went for their vacation. I can't let them know that I'm sick. If they know they would go to their dreamt vacation."

The little boy answered with a groggy voice. Luhan wants to face palmed himself because he forget about their parents plan. Both of them already planed it since last year and they have a big hope that nothing can ruin it. A very romantic vacation to French as their nth honeymoon. Yes, his mom and dad already have been going to many honeymoon trip but they never stop. Maybe that’s why their family is very happy, without a fight happened. Luhan only wishes that his lovely parent will always be like this and nothingbad  will happen.

"Aish, how can I forget?"

He mumbled softly then he realize that his sick brother still in seated position.

"Go sleep. You need to rest Myung. I'll stay here, okay."

Luhan then helps his brother. He smiles as his brother smiles to him. Luhan patted the other head softly then lulling him to dreamland. Soon enough, Myunghyun falls asleep. He kisses his brother forehead then leaves the room to change his uniform.

Not long after he backs to the room with a basin of cold water and a small towel. He sits on a small sofa beside Myunghyun's bed. Luhan dips the towel to the basin then squeeze it. He puts the wet towel on his little brother forehead the pats it. Luckily he ever watched Sehun do this to him when he sick few months ago so at least he knows a little sick treatment.

An hour passed with he sits there, changing the towel and lulling some song for his brother. Sometimes he will caress the younger cheeks or pats his hand, just like the way the kid like.

A ring of the bells echoing the empty and silent house. Luhan quickly went downstairs and opens the door. Somehow it didn't shock him when Sehun was the one who standing by the door. The tall boy standing there with a half smile and a paper bag on his hand.

"Hey, this is from umma. She said it was for your and Myunghyun dinner. Your parents weren’t home right?"

Luhan only nods and takes the bag. He took a peek and smiles when he saw the contains. Bulgogi fried rice, one of his favorite food of Sehun's umma homemade cook. The latter mother used to be a little yet popular restaurant chef but she stopped when she married with Sehun's appa. Busy with taking care of her children and busy businessman husband, she never gives up on his life passion. She never leaves the cooking duty to their maid and the little family can't be more grateful. Luhan and Sehun always be her first taster and they can't be happier since her food always delicious.

Luhan raised his head up and locked gaze with the younger male. Awkwardly he cleared his throat.

"Do you want to come in? Maybe Myunghyun wants to see you."

For some reason, Myunghyun is closer to Sehun than his own brother. They always play together and joking around together. The latter even said that he was more comfortable to be carried by Sehun. Luhan always pouts when the two boy ditched him but there also always be Minji. Just like Myunghyun to Sehun, Minji was closer to him than Sehun. But his relationship with his brother is sweeter and calmer than the brothe-sister relationship his childhood friends have.

"O-"

Sehun words got fitted when they heard a series of pained groan. Soon, the hurt sound repeated and get worse. Luhan eyes are bulging out when he realize what is it. He quickly runs upstairs with Sehun trailing behind.

He barged in to Myunghyun's room and panic covered his whole face when he saw his only siblings crunched in his bed. Pain can be clearly sees on his little face as the groan filling the silence. Luhan frozen. He can't move an inch yet he also didn't know what to do.

Sehun, knowing that Luhan was too panic to act, walks past Luhan and quickly lifts the small boy up from his bed. He draws some circle on the latter back, trying to erase the pain, as he walks back to the shocked boy.

"He's gonna be okay. Let's go."

He leads the older go downstairs and takes a car key. He knows every detail of his best friend house like the older knows about his.

They go to the garage as Sehun press the unlock button of the car. Luhan, who already collect his mind back, opened the back sit of his own Lamborghini and sit there so Sehun can put Myunghyun on his lap. The taller boy quickly goes to the driver sit and turns the car on. He opens the automatic door of the garage then rushes to the nearby hospital.

"Lu, take a deep breath. Myunggie gonna be okay."

He keeps saying that. He knows very well that the older male was very panic when he heard his little brother groan.

"You need to control yourself, Lu. If not, it will be harder for us to take care of him."

When they arrive, they bring Myunghyun to emergency room and let doctor takes him. The teenager waiting outside the checking room. Luhan keeps on fidgeting and walks around. His expression didn't get any better. A deep frown and concern still crunching his face, made the older looks very vulnerable in Sehun eyes.

The younger male walks forward, approaching the fidgeting boy. He reaches for his wrist and held it tightly. When Luhan turns his head and face him, Sehun take him to his embrace. He circles his toned arms to the other small waist and rests his chin on his shoulder. He didn't know why he does this but his sense was blind and his heart took over the control of his whole body. He always got the feeling to protect the older but somehow it felt different.

"He's alright Lu. Everything is okay."

As soon as he ended his sentence, Sehun can feel water drops on his shoulder. Then he feels Luhan buried his face on him and crying like there's no tomorrow. Soon, the smaller arms already circled around his body and this makes him tighten his grip on the other waist. While rocking their body from side to side, He hums a song that they used to hear together since they were kids.

Once again, Luhan control of his own body was gone. He, for the third time in his life, pouring off his tears mindlessly. Sehun whispers some shooting words to his ears. Luhan has to admit that the younger act makes him calmer and more relax. All scared and pain was gone when he was inside his warm arms, just like the old time.

It didn't took him long to stop crying and unlike the first time he didn't pry himself. He wants to enjoy it a little bit more. The warmth that always mean more for him but mean nothing to the other male.

"Sorry, I make your shirt dirty."

He said without lifts his head from Sehun's board shoulder. That's why his words got a little muffled but Sehun can hear it. A shiver went through Luhan's body as the younger's body shaking because of his laughter.

"Lu, this felt like déjà vu."

Luhan stiffed. He felt that way too, but it was normal since he can remember the accident clearly. But he never thought that Sehun would remember it. Did he still remember their promise?

"You remember."

He whispered softly. He didn't know he should smile or not. Sehun remember their old memory, which is good but at the same time it was a painful memory for him.

Sehun hummed a confused word. Luhan didn't know that the younger boy was hung his head low so he didn't expect to see the younger handsome face when he raise his head. Their face only a centimeter apart which make Luhan's eyes similar to a deer eyes when being caught by headlights.

They stare at each other orbs, like being drown in to the brown eyes. Sehun have a smile on his lips while Luhan's forming a thin, straight line. They still have their arms around the other and none of them seems want to break it.

Luhan gulps hard. He just realize that he still have the feeling, the one that he promise to buried deep in his heart. A feeling that he thought already killed a few years ago. He still loves his childhood friends. He still loves Sehun like those past years, or maybe more. He didn't know why but this realization makes his heard felt lighter, opposite to his brain that makes him felt like he just kill someone. He breaks his own promise. A promise to himself, a promise to his best friend. Sadly, the guilty feeling won and breaks his heart.

Luhan's eyes hurt a bit as it get watery. Before the younger could see it, he breaks their gaze and pushes the younger by his chest. He walks out from the warmth and awkwardly rubs his head.

"I-I ha-have t-to go the t-toilet."

Then he runs, as fast as he can, running away from his pain but he knows that it will always haunting him. He knew that his voice totally shaking and his stutter were worse than ever, but he couldn't care less. He needs to run away, bring his feeling with him before Sehun realize it. He didn't want to break their friendship in every way but it's hard. He'll break it if he keeps loving him, but it also will tear apart if he avoids the boy.

A drop of tear falling down from his eyes but he quickly runs it away. He keeps on running till he reaches the restroom. Luckily nobody was there, so no one will see his miserable state.

He walks to the mirror and looks at his sad face. He bends down a little then splash some cold water onto his face. He does it several time till he felt like his tears was already frozen and won't come out. Once again he looks at the mirror. This time he his finger out and caressing his own face by the mirror. Touching and shaping every curve he has, pitying how vulnerable he looks. He then withdraws his hand and put it on his chest, exactly above his aching heart. He grabs a fist full of his shirt and squeezes it, hard. He knows that broken heart was painful but he never imagine it was this painful.

He takes some deep breath, hoping it would calm the rapid beating in his chest. Unfortunately, it won't get better but he grew used to it. He takes one deep breath then walks out. He didn't want to back but his brother needs him and he want to be there with Myunghyun. Besides, he can't run away from Sehun and the pain so he has to bear it.

'God, if you won't let him reply my love, please…please takes these feelings away…'
 

***


Another week passed and for Luhan it was the hardest week in his life. Nothing bad happen to Myunghyun and he was glad. What made it hard was Sehun. Luhan wants to give his heart some spare time, to relax and to bury his feeling again, but the said boy kept show up and mess with everything. He tried to avoid the taller boy but he always can see him. His eyes always success to catch the said boy glimpse. Even when he was at the fourth floor while the other on the first, he always know that it was him. It's like his body won't cooperate with his heart and federate with Sehun.

Lucky for him, he always can run away from the younger before he could saw him. Except those Thursday. They bumped into each other near the locker and for Luhan, it was disaster. The younger boy was asking him a thousand questions, including question about Myunghyun, the fact that he didn't see the older around, he didn't see Luhan at the basketball bench as usual and many other things. Luhan didn't know what and how to answer and sadly his sense was left at his home so he didn't find any excuse to run. The only thing that safe him was the bell and at that time he loves the bell so much.

His day didn't get any better. He kept seeing the other he kept run away. At lunch, Woonsoo and Minji even said that his behavior was strange but he only said that it was their imagination only. After saying that, he saw a familiar brown hair and he quickly stood up. His heart telling him that the boy was searching for him and he was right. The brown locks walked to their table inside the crowd of hungry student. He quickly said goodbye to the couple and run out the room, saying that he needs to go to check something.

At the end of school day, he makes his head busy with practicing till him being the last to stay at the building. After he sorted up the place and did the checking one more time, he locks the door. When he walks to the front gate, he passed the clock tower. He stood there and looks up. He watches as the hour hand ticking slowly. Then he felt strong wind blows his body, sending him a shiver because of it coldness. But he just stood there in silence. His foot didn't want to move but he didn't mind.

The friction from branches above him makes him calm. The smell from the red-bricks that build the two stories building plus the soft yet beautiful smell of the flowers and grasses around make a homey feeling.

He closed his eyes and takes a deep breath, enjoying the fresh air that swept his pain and burden away.

The friction becomes louder as he felt the wind blows stronger. Soon he felt something soft touch his skin. It brushes slightly then fall. A big smile plastered in his face after he opened his eyes.

Hundreds of soft pink petals fall from above making a flower rain. Some even still in it flower form yet already falls because of the wind. It was beautiful and … magical.

The silent atmosphere gets ruined when the bell of the clocks ringing. A set of ding and dong that announced the change of hour. A sharp yet calming sound but somehow it build the relaxing surrounding more.

Luhan lets out a sad chuckle when the realization hit him. The rare background of the famous myth, that many couple had been waiting for but only few lucky enough to have it, comes to him even if he didn't ask for or even wants to get. The fact that he was alone and broken heart only makes it worse.

Maybe his fate was to be all alone by himself with no one to be love and to get love from. Maybe God already gave him a lot of sign, including this one, but he was too dense to realize. With his stupid mind and heart, he keeps on hoping to get Sehun's love even if the answer was clear.

Like knowing what he was thinking and stating that it was true, the flower rain and the bell stopped. Everything went silent in a snap, makes a heavy and sad aura radiating from around him. Luhan sigh once again then continue his walks.

Deep in his heart he regretted his decision to stop before. But it's reality and he has to face it. If he can he really wants to stop the time and turns it back. Stopping his stupid heat to falls to a certain person. But it was only a dream, a dream that will never come true, just like his love.

'Let's stop this, like really stop. I've gotta lock my heart and throw the key away. Somewhere that nobody knows and it's better if I didn't know where too. I've to stop.'
 

***


The next day, Luhan back to his usual self. The cheerful and open self. Where his smile is a must and nothing can blow it away. He didn't push himself to avoid anybody. He just lets his fate leads him.

That day, somehow, he never sees Sehun, not even a hair strand. Maybe if he didn't run away from fate before, he wouldn't have to avoid the younger and made his own self exhausted.

But he talks too soon.

He was being the last of student that left his class, even his teacher already out a while ago. He slowly stuffs his books and pencil case to his cream bag. Then he grabs his archery bag that he left At the back of the class before. He walks out and closes the door. Smiling as he playing with the key of his favorite part of school in his hand. He took his time when walking. Nobody left in the school so he was wondering how long he stayed.

Suddenly a familiar footstep caught his ears. He stops and looks forward. A few more steps then he can see a shadow from right corridor. In a count of second, a familiar figure showed up and turns around so their gaze locked.

The fate really is playing with Luhan's heart.

Sehun and Luhan look at each other for a few second till the younger boy takes a step closer to him. As the step continue come closer, Luhan swallows his thick saliva.

He wants to take a step back but he quickly remembers his own words yesterday. No more running. He takes a deep breath then walks forward. Keeps on mumbling 'Don't cry.' to himself.

Seeing the taller boy makes his heart ache worse than before. The pain grows stronger in his heart as he takes steps closer. He wants to let go as much as he wants to pull closer.

Luhan keeps mumbling as the tears trying to burst out from his eyes. The boy can feels the other gaze never leave as they decreasing the distance between them. He looks down as he bit his lips hardly. He can taste his own blood crawling out from somewhere under his teeth. He only hopes the younger will know that he didn't want to talk and let him pass like they didn't seeing each other.

But of course his fate is making him crazy.

Sehun holds his wrist tightly when he tried to pass beside the boy, like telling him that he have enough of the older running away mission and they need to talk. Luhan raises his head up and once again their gaze locked.

Seeing it from that closeness, Luhan felt like he was drown inside the orbs. As brown as chocolate but also as deep as sea. It's like there was no end of it and it can make people staring without getting bored. His eyes were always innocent and letting people to know what he feels. Sadness, concerns and loneliness. It's all written in there.

"Lu,…"

Luhan misses that voice. He misses the way the latter call him. He misses the way his name rolled better from his mouth than any other people. He loves how it sounds, he loves how it can be so perfect.

"Lu, why are you run away from me?"

"I-I didn't run away from you."

Luhan answered softly. His mind still drowned in those eyes so he didn't have energy to speak.

"Yes you're. Don't lie to me Lu. I wouldn't work."

"B-but I really don't run away. I didn't run away from you."

'Please Sehun, I can't stand this. Let me go, please.'

His mind was multi-thinking and he relieved that his mouth can speaks what it should out with the opposite answer on his mind.

"Lu, don't please."

Now his voice turns into the hurt one and Luhan felt like there was a tight knot in his heart. The younger male was pleading with his eyes as a frown showed up on his forehead.

"Lu, we-we have to talk. I have to know what was my mistake the caused you run away from me."

Luhan wants to object but Sehun's eyes told him that he was tired of his lie, so he didn't. He just stands there and keeps silent. Letting the male continue his speech as his brain searches for another way to escape.

"I'm sorry. For whatever I do to you. I don't know what is it but I'm sorry. I don't want us to be like this. You're my best friend and it hurts me to see you so far. It's like I can't reach you and I don't like it."

Sehun stops. He gives Luhan time to get his word while he calms his own heart down. 'Best friend, yes I was only his best friend and it wouldn't change.' it was the only thing Luhan catch clearly. Now, he really wants to run, or maybe must.

"Lu, please tell me my fault. I want to fix my mistake but I don't know what. Please Lu."

'It wasn't your fault. It was me. I am the mistake. I was the one who should be sorry, weren’t you.'

The older boy wants to say that but he can't. It would be too obvious and he has to reveal his own feelings after that. So he just shakes his head and pulls his hand from the grip.

"I-I have to go."

He said as he turns around. Before he can take his first step, Sehun's words stop him.

"See, you're running away."

Luhan turns back. He wanted to yell but the other sad expression refrain him.

"I-I don't. I-I have to go. I have to practice and it's late already."

His hold on the strap of his archery bag gets tighter.

"I'll wait for you."

"You ca-"

"Please."

It comes so fast and Luhan didn't know what to say anymore. He just turns around and walks. Sehun takes this as a yes so he follows the older in silence.
 

***


It's been two hours since Luhan start practicing. Actually he wished that the younger male will get tired and give up. But he was wrong. The said boy still waiting for him. Sit beside his bag with his back rested on the wall and his hand on his legs, sleeping. Luhan sighing for the nth time in those 2 hours. He didn't know that it can be this hard.

He silently watches every movement that the younger makes. How his sad face turned into a happy one when they step inside the practice room. Sehun used to accompany Luhan every time he practicing but he didn't get time since he was chosen to be the main team of their school basketball club.

He saw how Sehun lips tugging upwards when his arrow smoothly hit the yellow area and how he refrain himself from running and hugging the older as his arrow finally hit the center of the target. How a frown creeping when Luhan failed his shoots because Sehun almost caught him staring.

Luhan approaches the sleeping boy. He picks his own blazer from above his bag and covers the latter form with it. Gently he removes the bangs that covering the younger forehead and eyes. The older male squats and hugs his knees in front of the cute sleeping figure.

A smile creeps on his face as their memories floating in his mind. He grew up with a very handsome yet cute male. A very caring dongsaeng that can be mature and childish at the same time. A boy that grew as a perfect man that can fulfill other people expectation without even trying. The only one that can have a mole and lisp as his attraction. The man that just stood there with a plain t-shirt, shorts and sneaker that can attract all eyes to look at him. The only male that still handsome even if he eats messily, even if he just wakes up and other thing that usually looks ugly on other.

Luhan caress the other soft cheeks. 'How can he have a baby skin in his 17 years old form?'

"Sehun-ah, I miss you."

He whispers slowly. He has to tell Sehun this but he can’t do it when he was awake.

"I miss you so so much. I miss your face, your eyes, and your hand. I miss your warmth. I miss those times when I wait for you when you practice. I miss your whine. I miss your touch. I miss you. But as much as I miss it, I have to do it. Do you know how hard it is for me?

Hunnie-ah, do you know, since a long time ago, I already broke our promise. Even before we makes it. Hah! I was the one who makes it but I'm also the one who broke it.

You know, it felt like I was a sinner. I can't face you. I felt dirty and to shame to make you see me. I've tried to kill it, but I can't. I tried to get rid of it but I can't. Do you know how hard it is to have this feeling while seeing you every single time? When I can get rid a little, you always come and make it bloom again.

Why you have to be so perfect? Why you have to care about me? Hah. Now I put the entire mistake to you. Sorry. I should be the one who saying that. I'm the one who in the fault. It never your fault it was always be mine.

Sorry, I don't want to break us. It will hurt me more than how it hurt you. But I realize that I already broke it with having this feeling towards you.

Saranghae, Hun. I love you.

This sound crazy right? I know it is, but I can't help it. Just wait for a whole okay. I'll be back as your best friend. Just now, I need some times, to get rid of this feeling, to get rid of the pain. So just bear with this for a little more while, okay?"

He ends his speech with a smile. He feels relieved. At least he can pour his problem to Sehun, even if he was asleep. But it's make him felt much more better. It's like he can face his fate and get rid of his huge mistake.

Once again he sighs but this time, smile was on his face. He tried to get up but Luhan frozen when his wrist is being pulled.

"S-Sehun…"

The older male looks down then he meets a pair or brown eyes that look at him with sad gaze.

"Y-you didn't sleep?"

"I was. But I am not when you starts whispering."

Luhan didn't know what to say. His nightmare comes true so he just stood there in silent.

"S-so-sorry. I-I-"

He can't even manage to finish his sentence when his foots lead him to run away, again.

He ignores the call from the younger boy as he keeps running. Sadly he wasn't as fast as Sehun, so the taller man can stops him.

Sehun grabs his hyung wrist that stops him right away. He pulls a little which makes the older turns and face him. He hangs his head low but Sehun didn't care. They need to talk and it was more important.

"How come you told me that you love me then run away? Huh?"

He shouts a bit. He didn't like the way Luhan confessed to him. Everything was wrong that way and he didn't understood why the latter think that way.

"How can you think everything that way? How can everything was a mistake and all of it was your fault? How- Aish! I can't understand you!"

Sehun was furious, not with the older but at how he close every other chances and think in that way.

"Don't you, don’t you even care about my feeling? Don't you wanna know what I felt about?"

His voice gets lower and softer at each word. Sehun is holding back his own tears just like the older man do since he saw Sehun was hearing every of his words.

Luhan looks up. He didn't try to hide his tears again because he knows that the younger male also hurt. Both of them are hurt, it wasn't him only.

Sehun pulls Luhan once again. He pulls the other into his embrace and buried his face to the vanilla-scented hair.

"Nado, Lu. Nado Saranghae."

Luhan can't bring himself to believe the younger words, he can't even hug him back. There's no way it was true since he heard with his own ears that the latter never have a feeling for him and they will only be a childhood friends. There's no way this is happening.

"B-but you said that we just a childhood friends."

Luhan is more than confused when the taller man chuckle.

"As I predicted you heard it. Lu, you know me better than any other people, even better than myself and you should know that I was slow about love.

 I-I just didn't realize it back then. My feelings toward you start to show up after we made the promise. My brain slowly understood the meaning and then it hit me. But I think I was already too late so I only can try to protect our friendship. But as the time goes on, the fond to you grew more without even realize it, I already love you more.

Because of my denseness, I don't realize your feeling. So this is totally wasn't your fault and this wasn't mine to. It just a miss communication and our stupidity. So don't blame yourself."

Both of them pull away and face each other. The wind blows their pain and loneliness. Everything was clear now. They just stood there in silence only the friction of the branches being the background music, playing nicely with their heartbeats. The happy beats that finally found it mate.

The winds blows strongly as it swept all the scent around them to their nostril. The smell of bricks, flower and grass. Luhan once again felt like a déjà vu. He smiles when he realizes where they were standing as flower petals start to falls from above.

Sehun leans forward slowly, bending his tall figure down a little.  As the bells ring, he closes the space between them. In a sweet kiss, their connected their lips together. It starts with an innocent one but get deeper as Sehun tilted his head to make their lips fit perfectly. Luhan pulls the younger by his nape and starts to kiss him back. They can clearly felt a smile on the other lips as the kiss get more passionate but still sweet and full of love.

Now Luhan knows why the myth come to him before, it wasn't like the God tell him that he'll be alone but the God of Love was giving him her blessing and courage so when the myth happen on the second time, he can fulfill it like now.

"When the flower falls as the bell rings, kiss your special someone there and your love will be last forever."

Love never can be a mistake, it only need time and patient to grow. Sometimes a promise can make it slow but if you can keep on fight, you'll know that everything just on it way. When a myth was around, sometimes it can help a lot because most of time we still need a fairytale and other mystic thing to believes in love. Just like a little girl who believes in princess and happy ending. Just like a little boy who believes in super hero and super power. Love need all the magic in the heart and when it was it time to grow, it will grow smoothly and can fight all of the obstacle as it will help you to find your forever.
 

A Myth and A Promise
 

***

Thank you for reading ^^

If you can, please leave some comments. i wanna know what do you think about this story. Thanks ^^