Chapter 17

The Breaking
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Broken rose to their feet at those four words uttered by the feline man, and Jungkook’s heart felt like it was pounding in his throat. The tension in the air could be cut with a sword, even Jimin looking nervous for once; the seer’s hands were gripped tightly and as he positioned himself behind Hongbin, Jungkook realized that in a true fight the seer couldn’t offer any help. 

Then again, neither could Jungkook unless he got the rifle ready to fire, and so with a quick check to make sure there was a bullet in the chamber he raised the rifle to his shoulder and stood steady, eyes trained forward as he listened to try and hear what Yoongi had heard. It didn’t take very long. The rumbling of a large vehicle was soon perfectly audible to everyone there, and with quick movements they scattered, each running to hide anywhere they could find. Jungkook’s feet cooperated with him for once and he didn’t trip, hiding behind a large tree just as the engine turned off. 

His finger on the trigger, Jungkook held his breath, listening closely to hear and sounds of approaching soldiers, and wishing he had stuck close to Yoongi; the feline man’s hearing was crazy good and the teen thought that anyone near him would have an advantage in this fight. Reaching inside once more, he felt his power there, bubbling below the surface, but still not strong enough to grasp it. If only he could! It was almost more frustrating this way; before, he hadn’t known if he still had power or not and had to rely on the rifle, but now he knew it was there but just couldn’t use it. Grinding his teeth, he took a deep breath of the cold night air and waited.

A door closed somewhere near and Jungkook’s heart jumped into his throat at the sound. A second door followed only moments later and his fingers tightened their grip on his rifle. He wouldn’t go down without a fight, and he refused to go back to The City as a prisoner. He’d rather die. Another gulp of air and he tried his best to settle his nerves for the storm of bullets he knew would be…

“It’s just me,” Taehyung’s voice called out into the darkness, and Jungkook felt a surge of relief followed by weakness in his body from the sudden loss of adrenaline. He let his head fall back against the tree and his grip on the rifle go slack as Hoseok moved out from where he had been hiding. He moved past Jungkook and gave him a reassuring look as he went,  but Jungkook wasn’t really in the mood to be happy about this. Pushing himself away from the tree, he spun around it to face Taehyung.

“What the hell?! You scared the crap out of all of us! What are you doing in a vehicle? And why? And where is Hyosung?”

“Right here,” the girl materialized from thin air, her power at once startling and fascinating. She held a large bag in one hand while her other held an apple out to the teen. “Here. Eat. We’ll answer questions in a minute,” she said with a smile, and though his mind would rather get answers, his stomach rumbled in protest.

He slipped the safety on the gun and pushed it behind his back before reaching for the proffered fruit. She handed it to him and turned away, passing out

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter