Chapter 16

The Breaking
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taehyung and the girl with the invisibility (who Jungkook learned was named Hyosung) made their way into The City as the sky began to lighten, the sun bringing day to illuminate the world as the two of them slipped through the wall and into danger. Jungkook crouched beside Jin as the redhead watched the two disappear with a pair of binoculars in his hand. He lowered them with a sigh and looked at Jungkook’s concerned face, an echo of that sentiment on his own though he tried to cover it with a smile.

“Well,” he said, voice light and cheery and absolutely fake, “Phase one has begun.” He dropped to his hands and knees and crawled back to go deeper into the forest, away from any prying eyes of The City, and with one last glance at the foreboding black walls, Jungkook followed.

Once a safe distance away they both stood, brushing the snow off their gloves and closing the rest of the distance to their small campsite. Jungkook’s stomach rumbled as he thought of the fact that he hadn’t eaten in almost two days, and Jin gave him a sympathetic smile. 

“I know, I’m hungry too. But Taehyung said he and Hyosung would make sure to bring back some food with them tonight. We just gotta hold on until then.”

“I know,” Jungkook said with a small smile, trying to reassure the older that he was okay. “I’ll be fine.” Jin didn’t quite seem to believe his smile but he moved off anyway, heading for Hoseok and one of the other surviving girls. Jungkook still hadn’t met her, but the look that she gave Jin as he was approaching spoke volumes about her feelings toward the redhead, and the youngest blushed at the thought and looked away.

Jimin sat beside Hongbin as usual, the two of them engrossed in a quiet conversation, the set of their shoulders excluding anyone else. The boy that the healer had called Hakyeon sat on a small log, watching Yoongi and another boy playing at some sort of dicing game. The three looked happy and so Jungkook headed in their direction intent to take his mind off of the dangers that Taehyung and Hyosung were facing inside The City.

Hakyeon scooted over on the log to make room for Jungkook, introduced the other boy as Hyuk, and quickly described the game that the two were playing. Jungkook soon lost himself in the mindless fun and constant chatter from Yoongi.

 

 

As the day progressed his tension rose, and soon he found himself pacing to ease the feeling of dread that had risen in him. His hand unconsciously moved to his back, rubbing the dip there in an effort to get the pain to subside as he worried over the two in The City. His boots were making a well tamped pathway in the snow as he crossed the same space over and over again, and he never noticed that his tension was bleeding out into the others in the camp.

"Jungkook," Hoseok's hand caught his wrist as the teen passed him for the millionth time, and when his startled eyes met those of the healer he gave a heavy sigh.

"Sorry," he mumbled, and sat down on the log beside Hoseok. "I just..."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter