See how we do it

Velocity

Platinum blonde, almost white hair cascaded down her shoulder blades in a naturally tangled mess. Her ears were studded up and down and sometimes her eyebrow held a ring of silver. She had curves and muscle, nothing small like the Korean girls staring at her as they walked by. Her height was a few inches short of six feet.

One hand was braced on her hip as she waited for the door to open, eyes glancing around her dismissively from behind a pair of aviators. She openly directed her attention to a couple of school girls whispering behind their tiny hands. When they noticed her head turned their way, they quickly scattered and she smiled to herself.

Finally, the front door swung open to reveal a woman, one side of her chocolate hair shaved away. She stared at the American standing on her doorstep before erupting into a series of squeals as she wrapped her arms around the taller woman.

“You're early!” Sandara exclaimed in accented English, staring at her friend fondly with bright, open eyes.

“I wanted to surprise you and Sanghyun,” the blonde explained, grinning from behind her shades. “Now let me in. This humidity is making me melt.” Sandara laughed and stepped aside so her friend could drag her luggage inside.

“Here, just set them there,”Dara said, pointing to the door to the kitchen as Simone kicked off her shoes. “Sanghyun!”her shrieking call made Simone flinch. “Come get Simone's bags and take them to my room!”

“Why don't you do it?”came the dry reply as a tall, broad-shouldered boy came stomping out of one of the other rooms. He came to a stop and glared, shoulders hunched.

“Sanghyuny!” cried Simone, coming forward to tightly embrace the tense form of her college friend. “You've grown up so much.”

“Aish,” Sanghyun hissed, pulling away from the hug. “I saw you five months ago...”

“And you just keep getting cuter,” replied Simone, reaching up to ruffle his shaggy, black hair.

After she was finished, he grudgingly fixed his strands and grabbed her bags without a word. When he was in the other room, Simone asked, “what's got him all sour?”

“We probably interrupted him from his girlfriend time.”

“Sanghyun has a girlfriend?” Simone's jaw opened slightly and Sandara nodded with a smile.

“She's a sweetheart, very good for him. I approve.” Sandara dispersed into the kitchen with Simone behind her. “Speaking of which: Sanghyun, are you going to the races tonight?”

“No, why?” came the disheveled reply as he came from the bedroom.

“Well, I just thought since Ailee's always at them...”

“And?” He strode back to his room without much interest.

“And Joon's racing tonight.”

Sanghyun stopped midstride and turned fiercely, a steely glint in his eyes. “He is?”

“Yes.” Dara's tone was still light as she searched through the refrigerator.

“Then, I'm busy tonight.”

“Good, we can take Simone with us.”

“What?”

Simone quirked an eyebrow, finally getting a say. “Like...street racing?”

“Of course,” Dara said with a coy simper. “Why else would I suggest you go?”

Simone's teeth flashed as she looked between the siblings. “Will you take me, Sanghyun?”

He sighed heavily. “Either way you're going to go, right?”

“Probably.”

“Fine.”

Simone's smile grew, excitement coursing. Her fingers trembled for the feel of the wheel. Hot floorboards under her feet. “Awesome. They let foreigners drive, right?”

A laugh ruptured from Sanghyun's lips, sarcastic. “You think you can race against the drivers here?”

Blue orbs narrowed with challenge. “Why not?”

Sanghyun smirked, chuckling to himself. “Alright. We'll see what you say after tonight.”

Image

Music pulsed through the pavement under busy feet. Flashy cars with neon paint jobs zoomed by the trio as they approached the large crowd of bodies that had gathered on the open street.

Simone's eyebrows knitted together. “Ya'll race on a public street?”

“Its Itaewon,” Sanghyun answered. “Locals don't care because it brings in business around here. Plus, its the lesser kept part of the city so no one really cares.”

They approached the crowd, mingling on the outskirts as Simone's eyes scanned over the visible cars. A satisfied smile as she her lips, hungrily gazing at the sleek contraptions of polished metal. Girls were clothed in revealing tops and short-cut skirts and shorts, flirting with the drivers and adrenaline-addicted men. Some danced along to the pulsing bass that blasted from speakers that towered over their heads. The three pushed through the sea of bodies, curious eyes taking second glances at the snow haired foreigner that tagged along behind.

“Thunder!”

The three turned heads to see a beaming girl approaching fast. As soon as she was to them, she placed a greeting kiss on Sanghyun's lips before turning her attention to the platinum blonde. “You must be Simone,” she said in perfect English.

“Yes,” Simone responded, bowing her head slightly. “And you must be Ailee.”

She nodded her mahogany locks. “Thunder and Dara have told me a lot about you.”

“Likewise. And I only learned about you five hours ago.”

Thunder flushed and threw her a glare. Ailee's bell-like giggle could barely be heard over the thrumming bass. Thunder turned his attention back to his girlfriend, snaking an arm around her waist. “Have you seen Eli?”

Ailee sighed heavily. “Yes. I'm not sure why he's at this one when he knows he can't win.”

“When it gets in your blood, its hard to stay away from,” Sanghyun replied simply, leading them farther into the crowd.

They walked by more of the cars, most of them little Asian sports cars—nothing compared to the muscle cars that Simone raced back in the States. Sanghyun approached a car that was set back from the rest and came to a stop in front of an older version of an orange Lamborghini, its shell slightly battered.

“I figured you'd show up,” the blonde boy seated upon the hood smirked. He rose from his seat to clasp hands with Sanghyun. His smile was bright towards Sandara and Ailee and then, his eyes fell on Simone. His tongue brushed across his upper teeth. “And...whose this?”

“Simone Virág.”She held her hand out to him and he removed his from his jeans pocket to take it firmly.

“Eli Kim,”the blonde replied. “Virág...French?”

“Hungarian,” Simone corrected, earning a raised pierced eyebrow. “Yeah, I know. People hardly know where the country's even at.”

Eli chuckled. “So did Thunder drag you along or were you interested to see what we do in our spare time?”

“Did a little bit of racing herself in the States,” Dara cut in, crossing her arms and looking meaningfully at her friend. “Earned herself quite a name.”

“Oh, really?” questioned Eli, a slight smirk. “You want to try racing here?”

“Don't give her any ideas,” Sanghyun interjected.

Eli raised his hands in defense. “I was just asking.”

“Yes, I do want to race,” said Simone, throwing a glower at Thunder. “Are there any openings?”

“Whoa, slow down there, babe,” Eli said. “Don't you think you should see how we do it here before you go crashing into ?”

Simone's painted eyes narrowed. “I think I know how to race, thank you.”

“Not like us.”

“How would you know?”

“Because,” Eli grinned, “I'm from the States too. I raced like an American and I got my whooped on these streets before I learned a different way. Come on,” he nodded his head, “I'll show you who and what we got.”

Simone followed after, crossing her arms and glaring at the back of Eli's head. “Showing me the competition?”

“Yes, and how exactly you should do it here.” Eli leaned against the road block that kept the crowd at bay and off the race track. “Over there, the guy with the orange Melkus.” Simone's eyes traveled from Eli to the indicated man. “That's Bi Rain. Current champion after he beat out T.O.P a couple weeks ago.”

“Which everyone says was fixed,” added Sanghyun from Simone's other side.

“Supposedly,” Eli agreed.

“Why do they think it was fixed?” Simone asked.

Eli drew closer to her, the lack of space making Simone slightly uncomfortable. He noticed. “T.O.P was unbeatable, but when he raced Rain...he didn't really even try—or at least that's how it looked. Personally, I think he was threatened into losing. Rain's got ties to GD's gang and he has a lot of leverage with that little known fact.” Simone looked across the street at the man known as Rain, who had a girl on each arm. He was confident, obviously, with his smirk and authoritative action.

“Kim Jaejoong's the one over there with the green Nissan and no posse following him around.” Eli gestured to the man leaning against the side of his car with one arm around a girl and the other supporting a cigarette between his lips. “He keeps to himself, doesn't get real personal with anybody. His girlfriend—Mina, I think—is a good girl though, always by his side and comes with him to every race.

Then, the guy ing that girl over there,” Eli openly pointed at the man that was doing just as he said, “is Lee Joon. I'm amazed the guy is as good a driver as he is because he thinks more with his than his head ninety-nine percent of the time...Jung Yunho and Kwon Boa,” a rather beautiful looking couple were standing together as they spoke with a tall man, “are scary as hell to drive against. They're aggressive and mean, perfect for each other. They're talking with Taecyeon, paramedic for the cars. Without his help if you crash, you might as well go home.

Then, there's Kris. Chinaman who came out of nowhere and started beating everyone in sight. He's good.” Simone watched the young man with sandy blonde hair, a small group of five around him. His car was silver, angled and sleek, reminding her of the blade of a knife.

“Alright,” said Simone, “so who do you suggest I race against first?”

Eli shook his head, a small simper at his lips as he looked at her. “Number one, you don't get to pick who you race. Those are drawn by Nickhun, the coordinator and boss of this whole shebang. And two, I'm not saying anything until you see how we do it here.”

Simone rolled her eyes in exasperation. “So who are {C}you{C} racing?”

The answer came quietly, “Rain.” Thunder's and Ailee's worried expressions went far from unnoticed and Eli smiled at them reassuringly. “Don't worry. He's left me alone so far. He knows I at straightaway tracks so I'm not a threat to him. ”

“Just be careful,” said Thunder.

Eli simply nodded. “I better go get ready. It was nice to meet you, Simone. Don't take my word personally; I'm just looking out for you.”

“Yeah, thanks,” she responded dryly.

As Eli walked off, her eyes noted a man maneuvering his wheelchair through the crowd. He spotted the group and approached, shouting above the music, “hey, Thunder. Heard Joon was racing tonight, I see.”

Thunder turned—Simone noticing everyone there seemed neglect his real name of 'Sanghyun'—and greeted the man with a firm handshake. “I did hear that STD-ridden bastard was here. I gotta protect my girl.” He wrapped a strong arm around Ailee who glowered at him and shoved him away.

“I can take care of myself, thank you,” she growled.

The man in the wheelchair laughed. “She's right. I've seen her deck a fair share of men.”

“One of them was you if I'm not mistaken,” said Ailee with a wink.

“I was young and naïve.” The man raised his gloved hands in defeat before turning his attention to Simone. “And whose this beautiful woman?”

Simone flushed, unable to contain a flattered smile. “I'm Simone, Thunder's friend.”

“Your Korean's flawless,” the man commented and held out his hand. “You can call me G.O.”

“What is with you Koreans and lettered nicknames? T.O.P and G.O.? 'Top' and 'go'.”

G.O. smiled, flawless teeth framed by a goatee. “Outspoken, I like it.”

“Okay, you. Stop flirting,” Ailee chastised.

“Why?” G.O. demanded. “You think she won't like me because I'm in a wheelchair?” He looked at Simone. Her eyes widened, unsure how to react. “Fine, I see how it is.”

“That's—no! I didn't even notice...” Simone bit at her lip, cheeks heating, and thinking that jumping into manhole was the most decent thing to do.

“Simone, I'm just messing with you.” His tone turned softer as he grinned up to her.

“I'm sorry. I'm notorious for being awkward.”

G.O. chuckled. “Alright, we'll make this less awkward. Who of you wants to place bets tonight?” He gestured to the metal box seated in his lap. “Boa versus Joon, Yunho versus Jaejoong, and Eli's racing Rain. Kris is racing some poor guy whose going to get his handed to him. Plus, lesser-knowns, but no one cares about them. So...whose got money?”

Thunder raised a hand, “sorry, dude. I'm broke.”

Ailee pulled a few dollars from her pocket. “Twenty-one thousand on Jaejoong.”

G.O. took the dollars. “Nothing on Eli?”

Ailee let out a short laugh. “I'm wise with my money, G. Eli is not a good investment tonight.”

G.O. simply nodded. “I'll know never to ask you for loyalty.” Ailee smacked him in the arm. He placed the cash away and locked the box. “Alright. Well, I got more money to collect. Nickhun's working my off. Enjoy the races.” And he wheeled away.

“He's charming,” said Simone, turning her attention back to the track.

“Yeah, he's a good guy,” Thunder said and Simone didn't miss the slight break in his voice. Ailee rubbed his arm and offered a small smile. She noticed Simone's questioning look and responded with a warning glance before turning her attention back to the track.

“Looks like Joon and Boa are ready to go.”

A royal blue Nissan and hot pink Ferrari pulled up to the starting line, a line that had been drawn with green spray paint. Engines revved and the crowd's clamor began to rise as they crowded the the road blocks to get a better look.

Thunder looked at Simone and smiled. “Ready to see how we do it?”