My Wish

A Tale of a Fox

listen to this to enjoy the story *

 

 

 

"Stay away from the temple.the demon will lure you" they said. 

"It's dangerous.. you will die" they warned. 

 

Ever since I moved here, thats all I keep hearing. it wasn't like that. I was there before, it wasn't like that at all.. 

what happened during the ten years of not going back? 

........

 

I looked up as cherry blossoms fell around me with the soft breeze. I, Jung Yunho moved from Seoul to this quiet town in Japan. my family would always come here when I was little as an ideal vaction spot but we loved it so much that we sold our home and moved out here, I was happy. I was always attached to this place, especially the temple on the hill. I continued walking a familiar path, a smile smile played on my lips as i remembered how I would play along the stone path. As I grew closer I noticed the once clean and welcoming temple entrance now covered in overgrown bush and ferns. 

My smile faded into a frown as i walked up to the steps and started to clean it, how could this place, once filled with life and happiness. covered in shadows and sadness. slowly making my way up the stairs, I started to remember the sweet memories i shared with this sacred place and tears formed in my eyes, i couldn't believe the townsfolks abandoned the temple on some story. Once I reached the top I gasped, remembering a dear friend, running around back, fighting through the thick brushes I saw a small creature tangled in a trap. frowning I kneeled down next to the small creature and recognized him as the fox of the temple. 

"My dear friend! i'm so sorry.. " once again tears fell from my eyes as I slowly freed him from the cruel trap, he looked up weakly and my hand. how long has he stayed here, hoping for someone to save him, he was worshiped on this temple. now look at what his home had become. the stories surrounding him hurt Yunho, more than it should. picking him up gently in my arms I held him close. his small frame tucked against my chest as I closed my eyes. memories flowed my mind of the times I would spend hours here playing with this small fox. how could people treat him like this, I wasn't the one to let my emotions out but onc I saw my dear friend like this, I couldn't hold it, it was just too cruel.  

A soft was felt on my chin and I slowly opened my eyes, the fox was looking at me with his strong eyes and he gently nuzzled his head against mine as to tell me, he missed me. it was weird, I was the only one that had this conncection with him, I was the only one that could understand him. oh how I wished I came back sooner, I opened my mouth to speak when shouts were heard around. my head shot up as the fox was ripped from my arms and tossed aside, I gasped and looked up to see a few monks starting to chant words I did not understand but I quickly fought those that held me back and stood between the fox and the attackers. 

"Leave him alone! he isn't dangerous! what's wrong with all of you?!" I shouted as the monks gasped and lowered there magical beads and raised their hands, "Yunho.." was all I heard, but no one was talking, "Yunho..it's okay.. " I heard the soft whisper and I looked around to see who was talking, "I'll find you again.. my Yunho" was what I heard last, I turned to look at the fox but he was already gone, was he the one that spoke? it couldn't be... 

"Boy! this is no trespassing area, you have no business being here with that dangerous creature" again with the accusations, I frowned and stood my ground. "he isn't dangerous! he's my friend. a dear, precious friend! this place flourished with happiness and warmth, I remember the fesitivals here!" the moks looked at each other and looked at me before speaking, "there's been incidents involving that friend of yours, people from the village were disappearing, some where found dead.. with his scent and traces on the body.. that fox is no ordinary fox, he is a monster that will eat you when he has the chance, boy" I frowned even more, no.. it couldn't be possible, the fox saved him once and he owed his life to the creature. he was something special. "lies.." was all I could say before I fell to the ground, the world around me turning black, they must of gotten me was the last thing I thought of. 

 

...............

Waking up in my bed, I jolted up. looking around my empty room, a sweet voice echoed my mind as I remember a dream I had. a pair of pale yet gentle hands caressed my face as a soft kiss was placed on my forehead. his eyes were sad but kind, "thank you.. you still believe in me, My Yunho.. come tonight.. to our spot.. " a dream that made my heart tug, I touched my forehead and almost, just almost felt the pair of lips there. "our spot...? " i mumbled and my thoughts went to the fox, was the person.. no it couldn't, those were just a legend.. a story. 

I shook my head and busied myself throughout the day until sunset, I smiled and headed out, dream our not I followed my heart and headed towards a hidden park behind the temple grounds, no one ever wandered that way, only I did all those years ago. as I made my way through the trees a large sakura tree came into view, it was beautiful as I remember and filled with blossoms. I walked up to the trunk and placed my hand on it, suddenly a breeze blew around me, making the bloosoms rain down around and the sweet, gentle voice appeared behind me, "You came.. I waited a long time for you.. " I turned and saw the person from my dream, standing before me. he had black raven hair that waved in the breeze, his skin was fair like the full moons light, his eyes were filled with sadness but also of kindness and compassion, his lips cherry red as his small frame looked fragile, but what caught my attention was not only the beauty of the person before me, but the foxes ears and tail that was on his body. "y..your.." 

He nodded and smiled softly, " I am.. i'm the fox you held dear in your heart.. I finally get to meet you, Yunho" I couldn't believe it, after so many years of being this fox's friend. he took a step towards me, words couldn't leave my throat as he looked up at me, his hands slowly reached up and caressed my cheeks. "My wish has come true.. at last, I can repay you for all the kindess you have given me" I looked into his eyes and slowly pulled away, before that I asked, "the stories.. i'm hearing.. " he looked at me sadly and took a step back, "they were not me... please.. believe me.. you're all I have left.. " he had tears in his eyes as I shook my head, the words of the monks flashing past my head, "foxes are cunning, foxes are sly.. they will do anything to lure you into their trap.." frowning I looked at the man before me and felt my heart break as a single tear fell down his pale face and he held out a folded handkerchief, a memory flashed past my eyes as a picture of myself, as a small boy tied that same handkerchief around the foxes leg when he was injuried. "I held onto this.. wanting to give it back to you.. but you never came back, I focused on my energy.. i gathered enssense from those that were eaten by demons.. those unfourtante souls were lured by a demon.. i couldn't do anything to protect them becuase they lost their hope in me.. but I kept fighting, weak as I was, I always knew you'll come back.. and I can finally turn in my human form.. for you" 

I stayed silent as I watched him, how could I lose my trust in him for a second, I reached out and touched his cheek gently and he leaned into my touch, he turned his head and slowly my palm, "only you saw past me being a guardian of the temple.. you befriend me and I'm so grateful to you.. " a light blush appeared on his cheeks as I smiled softly, "I'm sorry, to keep you waiting, i'm here now" he nodded and smiled brightly as he stepped closer, "my name is Jaejoong, I am the fox of the temple, protector of the land and ... i'm in love with a human, you" my eyes widen and smiled as I pulled him into my arms, I knew he was special, and I knew deep in my heart I was his. "I love you too, Jaejoong.. my fox" bending down I placed a soft kiss on his lips and let the full moon above witness the passion we exchanged, becoming one with each other, the friendship turned to love in one night as we lay under the sakura blossoms, A gentle voice, sad yet happy whispered, "you have grown to be a wonderful man.. thank you for everything, my love.. " he looked up at the starry sky and tears fell down his face, "please.. dear God.. My last wish is to let me stay with him a little more.. " he looked back at my sleeping face and placed a loving kiss on my lips before laying his head on my chest and closing his eyes, his body beginning to disappear.

upon waking up in the morning, he was gone only the handkerchief was left behind. I looked everywhere but he was no where to be seen, sadness overcame me but I knew it was his time, he waited far too long and he needed rest, I looked at the rising sun and smiled, "you'll watch over me.. right Jaejoong?" 

 

........

five years had passed since Jaejoong left, five years has passed since the temple was restored and once again flourished with people, the area around now peaceful and calm, any trace of demons gone and I knew it was Jaejoong who did it. I walked through the crow of people an smiled brightly, today marked the aniiversary of the fox. the people knew they were wrong in accusing the guardian but once Jaejoong left, they felt like he had forgiven them, they told sotries of a gentle voice thanking them for the love they had shown him years ago.

I walked up to one of the booths and picked up a small cell phone charm in the shape of his dear fox and smiled sadly until a voice next to me brought tears to my eyes, "don't be sad~ he's always watching you happily~" I turned my head and looked at the person and saw him standing next to me, in broad daylight, everything about him the same, only he looked healthier, more alive and human, no tail or ears visable. "I'm new here, just moved from overseas~ I'm Kim Jaejoong!" he smiled warmly and held my hand tightly "mind showing me around?" I smiled and nodded as I lead him down a side path towards our little haven and he smiled, looking up at the sky, "Thank you~" I looked at him and he just shook his head as i leaned down and kissed him softly, a new beginning for them both.

 .........

 

Authors note: and so the Tale of the Fox has come to an end and i enjoyed every minute writing this, honestly i want to re-write this as a chaptered story lol thank you everyone who reads this, please comment on what you think and if I should maybe write this as a full length fic. 

i got inspired to write this by the song I linked here. :)