It Hurts

Love Me Not

 Her house was empty.

She heavily sighed as she found no one was inside. She was expecting Tiffany but of course Tiffany had left for somewhere else. Maybe back to ion? She doesn’t know for sure. But a part of her, somehow, had expected this. She had left Tiffany for five days without any words since that crying night.

With her lazy steps, unlike usual, she headed upstairs while taking off her coat, leaving her only with the white tee. She threw the coat mindlessly to her bed and headed straight to the balcony, her favourite one. The night was still young and she still had some time to think. Her short meeting with her dad had relieved her a bit, but also left her confused.

He’s not her real dad, of course. But a kind man who saved her that night when Jessica died. He was a lonely man before he found her. Maybe that’s why he wanted her as his daughter, not just as another student. She understood that.

She rubbed her left arm and cringed because it was still hurt. Apparently, her dad was serious about the five rows fight. None of them lost, but she got a light injury on her left arm. Her dad was never kind when it comes to fight. He has no mercy, even to someone who’s like a daughter to him.

And it’s a good thing that none of them lost. If she did, she wouldn’t be able to go back to Korea.

She chuckled.

Just then she heard the sound of door opening. She jerked her head to her bedroom and realized someone was coming. Her eyes widened. Tiffany?

Her guess was right.

“Oh my… Jessica?!”

Tiffany gasped as her eyes caught the woman who was standing in the balcony. She only smiled at Tiffany and the latter approached her for a warm hug. She cringed again because Tiffany unconsciously hit her injured left arm but she kept silent.

“Where have you been?” Tiffany asked after the hug, “It’s been days! I thought you really left.” She pouted.

“I’m sorry.”

She found it funny because it was her who thought Tiffany really left.

“It’s okay, though. You’re here already.”

Tiffany tapped her left arm and she unconsciously hissed.

“Oh?” Tiffany was surprised, “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.” She ignored but Tiffany held her still.

“Are you hurt? Where? Why?”

“It’s nothing, Tiffany. Really.” She sighed, didn’t find it comfortable in talking with Tiffany since that night.

Tiffany noticed the sigh and quickly took her hands off of the woman, “S-sorry… I’m just… worried.”

“You don’t have to.”

She forced a smile and walked away from Tiffany to downstairs. Tiffany sighed. Maybe she had crossed the line too far? By meeting her friends and asking about her private life like that? She was just worried about this mysterious woman, though.

Carefully, Tiffany walked downstairs after a few minutes. She wanted to talk to the woman, to apologize, or anything that could make them being in good terms again. But when she walked down the stairs, she saw the woman was sitting in the dining room, eyes closed, hands on the table, as if she was praying, but Tiffany was sure it wasn’t a pray.

Just then Tiffany realized the woman was wearing a white tee only, unlike those usual shirts or coat that covered her arms. She saw a long, lined scar on the woman’s right arm. It wasn’t really visible but thanks to the lighting, Tiffany noticed it.

That made her cringed.

Slowly she tapped the arm, “J-Jessica…”

Her eyes snapped open when Tiffany did that. She only moved her eyeballs to her right, as if she commanded Tiffany to go away, but the latter stood still beside her.

“Are you okay?”

Hearing Tiffany being so care towards her, somehow, made her felt more confused. She shut her eyes and took a deep, heavy breath that scared Tiffany even more.

“Yes.” She answered half-heartedly.

Tiffany doubted that. This woman was never looked fine, not at all.

“You know, I might be a stranger to you but I know you’re not okay.” Tiffany bravely said.

She opened her eyes and lifted her head to Tiffany, “What?”

“You heard me.”

A scoff, “Fine, I’m not okay. What are you going to do about it?”

“I just want to help--”

“Don’t kid me.” She stood up, “You don’t know anything. Why would you help? Why would you care?”

“Yes, I know I’m just a stranger to you but I’m here! I live here with you because you asked me to! And you think I can stand it seeing you like that all this time?”

“You can’t stand? Fine, just go away, then. Live on your own. You won’t see this pathetic woman again and I won’t have to deal with you anymore. It’s fair enough, isn’t it?”

Silence. She panted for air because of the anger inside her. Suddenly she felt her head spun as she had to hold onto the dining table.

“Jessica!” Tiffany quickly held her, “Oh God, you haven’t eaten anything, have you?!”

She didn’t answer because Tiffany already knew it.

“Just… sit down first. I’ll cook for you.” Tiffany pushed her to sit and she could only obey.

After that Tiffany quickly ran to the kitchen, opened the fridge, and cooked anything that could be cooked for her to eat.

Why does she care?

-

She finished her dinner in silence. None of them spoke. Tiffany even didn’t dare to lift her face. She felt bad for Tiffany, though. She wasn’t in her right minds because of her empty stomach, and because of her messed-up thoughts, and her confused mind, and her painful heart, her everything.

“Thank you.” She finally said it, breaking the silence.

Tiffany lifted her head and awkwardly smiled, “No problem.”

Before she could return the same smile, Tiffany already grabbed her handbag roughly. Much to her surprise, Tiffany stood up from her seat immediately.

“You’ve eaten your dinner already. I think it’s my time to go.” She laughed the awkward laughter, “I-I’m sorry for burdening you these past times. Thank you for everything, Jessica. I guess… goodbye?”

She froze in her seat. Her fists clenched when Tiffany said the last word.

Tiffany took a deep breath, “Goodbye.”

It scared her. Seeing Tiffany walked away from her like that made her instantly extended her hand and grabbed Tiffany’s right wrist tightly. The latter gasped but she shut the gasp with another tight, desperate hug. She wrapped her arms around Tiffany’s waist and sighed at the warmth.

She couldn’t let this stranger go.

“W-what--”

“Don’t go.” She quickly said in a low whisper, “I’m sorry. Please, don’t leave me.”

As much as she wanted to deny, the fact that she needs this stranger made her surrendered. She needs Tiffany to be, at least, around her. She isn’t used to loneliness anymore ever since Tiffany lived here with her.

What does it call?

Tiffany returned the hug and brushed the woman’s brunette hair lightly with her left palm, slowly, lovingly, “I’m not going anywhere…”

Soon Tiffany felt wetness on her left shoulder and realized the woman had shed another tears that night. Tiffany was glad, somehow, the woman was being honest in what she was feeling. Another sigh was all the woman could mutter as more tears flowing out from her brown eyes.

It hurts…

****

Short update is short... I just had 4 exams in one day. Gawd