Final

What Dreams Are Made Of

Title: What Dreams Are Made Of

Pairing: Sehun/Luhan

Genre: Fluff, PG-13

 

Despite being the older one, people often mistakes Luhan as the younger of the pair, but he doesn’t mind because sometimes he forgets about the fact too. Between the two, Sehun moves with a quiet demure and seems to be in deep thought most of the time - maybe his bored eyes and unsmiling face gives the impression of maturity and experience, in contrast with bright round eyes and a face rounded with baby fats. However, the latter thinks that things go beyond the cold exterior that the younger one displays, that Sehun thinks deeper than anyone else at his age - after all he hasn’t been Sehun’s boyfriend for two years without learning anything about the thoughtful boy.

If he has to choose the most charming point about his boyfriend, Luhan would undoubtedly choose the younger’s ability to break up a large picture into small, well-evaluated snippets that surprises him all the time. When Luhan asks what he’s thinking, Sehun comes out of his little shell of pondering and tells him stories about everything, the corners of his lips pulled up in a little smile. The older boy marvels in awe, fascinated by the tiny details that he has unknowingly missed out in the quick pace of life. To say that he is completely absorbed in what he says is neither accurate nor false, but he catches himself gazing at every plane of the younger’s face, committing every outline of his features to his memory because he wants to capture the daily things in life that cameras can’t do.

Luhan likes to ask questions, and Sehun likes to answer them. After a fitful night of dreams – both happy and mundane ones – Luhan rests an elbow on a fluffy pillow to prop his head up and asks Sehun curiously, “What are dreams made of?”

Sehun ponders for a while, his long bangs falling slightly over his eyes and Luhan brushes them away, waiting for his answer patiently.

“Memories, dreams are made of memories,” Sehun answers, his voice cracking slightly from the dryness in his throat.

“Why is that so?”

“Maybe because we have so many thoughts a day, we tend to forget the important ones; those that we want to keep, but we forget to. Maybe our brains are piecing them all together, and reminding us that we left something important behind.” Sehun explains, before pulling his boyfriend into an embrace just like any other morning.

“What about nightmares?” Luhan ponders aloud, his voice slightly muffled against Sehun’s chest. He takes a deep breath and drinks in the familiar scent. “Why would we want to be reminded of things that we’d rather not remember?”

“It could be a sub-conscious part of us, telling ourselves that we have to face our problems sooner or later, because we can run away, but someday our fears are going to catch up with us.”

Luhan hums in agreement and snuggles deeper into Sehun’s embrace, but the younger opts to pull away.  Luhan glares accusingly at the grinning boy, until Sehun locks their lips together and rolls their entangled bodies, stopping when he hovers over the smaller one.

“Don’t mind my morning breath?” Sehun asks softly, grinning and Luhan rolls his eyes playfully.

“I would have packed my luggage three days after waking up every morning in this bed if I had minded.” He whispers. “But I stayed, so kiss me again before I start whining like a kicked puppy with no ego left in his backbone.”

“You know what, I’d love to hear you whine even more.” Sehun smiles wickedly before he attacks his lips again, effectively turning the light morning mood into one filled with lust and love.

 

“Sehun-ah, come help me with this puzzle I bought!” Luhan calls excitedly the moment he enters the living room, and places a paper bag that carries a large brown box on the glass coffee table that sits in the middle of their faux fur carpet. He places the bags of groceries in the kitchen counter before arranging the beanie that fits snugly on his head.

“Coming!” Sehun singsongs as he appears from their bedroom, donning a thin white sweater with grey sweatpants and patters over in oversized bedroom slippers.

The sound of crumpling papers breaks the quiet afternoon air and his nose fills with the stale scent of recycled paper when Sehun pulls the box out of the paper bag. He settles it back on the table before examining the reference picture on the lid.

“Hmm, of all the pictures we’ve taken, why this?” He studies the landscape picture of him and Luhan, laughing as they are locked in an embrace under warm sunlight, sea water glistening as if encrusted with diamonds.

“That was the day when you told me all your dreams and I told you mine. You said you wanted to marry me, and I told you I could make your dream come true.” Luhan smiles and his eyes glimmered with happiness at the memory. “Jongin told me to remind you to pay him for his photography skills when he sent those photos he had taken at the beach.”

“He should be glad I have not told Kyungsoo about all the tears he wept in his dorm when he thought Kyungsoo was taken,” Sehun laughs as he recalls the days he were dorm mates with his best friend, Jongin. “You should have heard him bawl, he basically sounded like a dying whale choking on its own tears.”

Luhan laughs, picturing the sight of the boy with bronze-skin and toned arms wrapped like a cocoon in his bed as he sobs pitifully into his pillow. Smiling, he takes the lid off the box and places it at the side for reference before placing a huge photo frame with silver edges in the middle of the glass table.

“Project Hunhan Puzzle begins!” He claps his palms together and smiles gleefully, and Sehun chuckles as he reaches over to pinch the smaller one’s nose.

 

They work in silence, bodies bent over and fingers working with the puzzle pieces scattered over the table. Sometimes Luhan sneak glances at Sehun, trying to figure what’s on his mind as the younger one turns puzzle pieces in his sleek fingers while his eyes seem to be far away in his thoughts.

After an hour, Luhan starts getting restless and begins fidgeting around, humming to the Bosanova songs that their friend, Baekhyun had introduced to him.

“It brings the atmosphere into a romantic one, you know. Chanyeol totally digs that.” Baekhyun had cheekily whispered in to his ears, bringing a flush to Luhan’s cheeks. “Maybe you should try it with Sehun one day.”

Not that Luhan has plans to jump Sehun on an innocent Saturday afternoon, which is peacefully quiet and satisfying, mind you. However, Luhan breaks the silence first, unable to contain the questions he has accumulated in the past hour.

“What about aspirations, Sehun? They are dreams too, but what are they made of?”

Sehun seems a little disorientated, after spending a good whole hour in deep thoughts, but nevertheless stops to think about Luhan’s question.

“Experiences – both successes and failures - because failures tell apart what you really want and what is a heat of interest, and success drives you to pursue more.”

“Ahhh,” Luhan nods thoughtfully, “so what dreams do we have? The dreams that both of us share?”

“A lifetime worth of them, Luhan, the endless memories we share are going to piece the dreams – just like this puzzle.” Sehun reassures with a smile on his face.

Luhan clambers over to Sehun’s side, and no one bothers to give the puzzle pieces any more attention.

 

When you have been living in euphoria for too long, life seems to decide that too much happiness is unhealthy; it needs a little pain to get it in your happy little head that nothing is smooth-sailing forever. Just when you think life can’t get any better, something comes and turns your life upside down, letting it spiral out of control.

 

If Sehun’s car accident is “a little pain”, Luhan doesn’t know how things can get any worse. He brings his knees up and hugs them tightly, his fingers pinching at one another in a blur of confusion and shock. He doesn’t sit alone on the cold hospital chairs that line along the corridor, with ten other mutual friends he share with Sehun during the high school years who pace around worriedly and reassuring each other that Sehun will be fine. Their reassurance does no comfort and goes unheard, because no one knows for certain the condition their friend is in. Despite having exited the emergency room with a less-than-encouraging “His condition is stable, but we do not know for sure how his brain injuries will affect him” by a tired doctor, all eleven of them can’t let go of their worries.

When they were informed that they can finally enter Sehun’s ward, Kris opens the door and lets Luhan in first, before the rest follow after. They encircle Sehun’s bed and asserts his injuries – a thick band of bandage around his forehead, squares of bandage that cover the wounds on his face and probably countless purplish wounds on his body that are hidden by the blue hospital button-up shirt and pants. Not a word was said, but everybody know it in their hearts that none of them are fine, especially Luhan.

 

Days pass, and Luhan never fails to visit Sehun at his hospital ward every day after work. As Sehun lies unmoving on the bed, Luhan talks to him. He tells him stories about how his days went, how little things remind him of the younger one and the dreams they are going to chase after when Sehun wakes up. He talks for an hour until his throat goes dry and he holds in the tears when Sehun does not respond, because he’ll be strong for him. The routine is so familiar to him that whenever the nurse opens the door, he does not need to be reminded that visiting hours are up and stands up on his own accord to leave. He does not forget to say “Fighting!” in the most enthusiastic tone he can manage, and bows to thank the nurse before he takes his leave.

He stands at the door and turns back to gaze longingly at his boyfriend.

What are you dreaming now? Do you remember the things you have left behind?

Routinely, Luhan goes back home and makes his way straight to the coffee table in the living room. He puts his backpack aside and sits down with a huff, stretching away the knots in his shoulders. Bending over the puzzle pieces, his tired eyes scan for the right shapes and colours and delicate fingers work over the incomplete picture carefully. He helps to piece the memory together, and lets Sehun complete their dream later on.

 

One month later…

 

“Use more strength! Hmm…just about right, yes, yes, a little to the right.” Luhan rests his head on his knuckles, scrutinising the work of the boy opposite.

The taller boy, holding a hammer in this hand, walks to Luhan and snakes the other arm around his waist. They gaze at the photo frame that hangs on the pristine white wall and Sehun pulls him in for a peck on the lips.

“Is our dream completed now?”

“We have millions, so should we start with marriage?”

Luhan doesn’t realise that Sehun isn’t joking until the he notices an engagement ring that lies not-so-innocently within the photoframe.

“YAH! HOW DO I UNSCREW THIS THING?!”

 

(1936 words)

 

a/n:

-tadah, here you go after short hiatus

-sorry for the cliche car accident that occurs in nearly every drama

-my creativity ends just about there

-unsatisfying work as usual but i-

-i wanted to write , but after 10080 i dont know anymore

-comment/upvote/subscribe to show your love? hehe.