Should Have Known

What If

I should have known.

 

Before I found them, I heard Yoona’s shushed voice behind the building. I let out a sigh of relief as I realized that she was alright.

But aside from her voice, there was another voice with her.

 

“Where’s your ribbon?” I heard the man’s voice asked.

“Hmmm? Must be with Seunggi-oppa,” Yoona said dismissively. I can imagine her face when she said that. I wanted to laugh, but I didn’t know the voice that was with her.

“Why is it with him?” the man said. There was something scary with his voice.

“Oooh. Are you jealous?” Yoona laughed. “Hmmm, must be because he’s my boyfriend.”

I heard a thump and Yoona gasped. “I hate it when you call him your boyfriend,” the man said quietly, strains of annoyance seeping from his voice.

“Are you stupid? Let me see your hand,” Yoona’s worried voice sounded. It was the first time I heard her like that.

“Did you even hear what I said?” the man asked before I heard Yoona shriek.

 

I almost ran, giving away my hideout when I saw the real scene before my eyes.

 

There was Yoona, her body on the wall, her head thrown back as she laughed and screamed at the same time.

It was then that I saw him. His head was buried on Yoona’s neck. “Shush, someone will hear you,” the man said, lifting up his head, before trailing kisses down Yoona’s neck to her chest.

I almost fell from shock. Lee Donghae. My Donghae. The Donghae who told me I was pretty when I smiled. The person I confessed to just the day before. The one who makes my heart skip a beat. Lee Donghae who currently has his head on Yoona’s s.

“I told you it tickles there,” Yoona said giggling. She pushed him, both of them falling to the ground. “I love it when you’re jealous. What are you so worked up about?” She said before she kissed him on the lips.

“You’ve been avoiding me this past few days,” I heard him say.

“It’s your college exam next week,” she said quietly.

“Your friend confessed to me yesterday,” he suddenly said. My eyes almost bulged out of my head when he said that. But what broke my heart was the troubled look on his face. “And you’re unusually calm. By now, you’d most probably be fussing about it.”

“Uhm, uh,” Yoona’s face was a mixture of shock and I don’t know what. It was as if she was pained or something. “She didn’t tell me about it.”

“I figured she’d tell you first when she ran away from me.”

“Well, I didn’t get a chance to talk to her much yesterday.”

“Why?”

“Seunggi-oppa called me suddenly when we were walking home.”

“What did he want?” Donghae’s face was a mixture of jealousy and annoyance.

Yoona laughed lightly, “He wanted somebody to accompany him at home.”

“Why did you?”

“You weren’t there.” Yoona grinned before adding, “And he’s my boyfriend.”

“I told you I hate it when you call him your boyfriend,” he said, sitting up, pushing Yoona to a sit on his lap. “Maybe I should date your friend so I can spend some time with you too.”

“Maybe you should,” Yoona said sadly. It was as if she wanted to cry.

I saw Yoona’s hand playing with the buttons of his polo as Donghae looked at her intently.

“Can’t I date you instead?” He looked like a lost puppy, his eyes pleading Yoona.

Yoona looked at him lovingly. It was the first time I saw her with that kind of look. Her eyes were not distant. It was warm. It was loving. Her eyes were beautiful. “Not until we graduate,” she said softly. “We just have to get out of this place and we’d be free as a bird.”

I saw Yoona bend down to kiss him. I turned away before I see more. Before I felt more betrayed.

 

It was painful. My heart felt like it as ripped to a million pieces. Yoona was my best friend. She knew I liked Donghae. She knew how I felt. And yet, here she was, having an...an affair with him. The face of Lee Seunggi suddenly appeared on my mind. He can’t know about this. His menacing eyes suddenly popped to my mind, making me shiver all over.

 

I wanted to run as fast as I can. But before I could even stand up, a certain presence pushed me to the ground.

I looked up, the hairs on my skin standing as I did.

 

Lee Seunggi was in front of me.

His eyes were looking at me, as if he was killing me with his eyes.

His lips were in a thin line. He looked as menacing as I never thought possible.

His gentle face was gone. His delicate features were tensed.

 

 

Yoona’s laugh was the last thing I heard before everything suddenly became dark.

 

 I should have known.

 


I'm sorry. I know it's super bad. Forgive me.