Chapter 1

Cliffhanger

Despite being day, the weather was harsh today with rough and heavy rain drops hitting the windowsills of the car and to top it on the misery, the driver was none other than Donghae. Hyukjae was fervently praying to the superior power up there in the sky to just let them live through the two disasters he and his best friend were currently in. It seemed like Hyukjae’s driving lessons to the freshly turned 19 had gone in vain.

“Donghae-ah, seriously, just let me drive. We both will be safe.” Hyukjae took a break from his zealous prayers and repeated the sentence he had begged to his enthusiastic best friend on the driver’s seat since their journey began.

“But me driving will also keep us two safe! I know it Hyukkie!” Donghae childishly retorted back. He was a stubborn case and Hyukjae had learned to acknowledge that along all those years of their friendship.

“I really hope it stays that way.” And Hyukjae was back to repent to the superior power high up there about all the he had seen and saved and rewatched again and again and add a few more of those repetitions there please.

 However, a faint “, Hyukkie?” from his left side had interrupted his ardent prayers. He curiously looked at his best friend and the frown and tension on Donghae’s face had started threatening Hyukjae’s wellbeing up.

He felt his throat dry as he noticed his short, brunette best friend struggling with the steering wheel and the gear handle while the rough stumbling and speeding of the car had started making his heartbeat —actually, both their heartbeats— haywire. “H-Hae? What’s w-wrong?” he found some way to utter the question through his dry throat.

Gulping a block of saliva that had formed in his mouth in panic, Donghae parted his lips, “I think… the brakes have gone wrong somewhere.” he faintly replied.

WHAT?!

“Don’t panic! I can handle this! The brakes are not working but we will live!” Donghae was actually trying to lull himself into it more than the terrified Hyukjae albeit his own shouts were not really helping them both.

With all the steering and changing lanes and routes to reach a place where others wouldn’t be harmed in the process, the two best friends found their car speeding up to a cliff and they could nearly feel their hearts trying to skip out of their mouths as the damned car approached the dead end.

“Hyukkie~ we are going to die~” Donghae wailed as he tried turning the car around to save themselves from the fall. They could hear the screeching of the tires despite the heavy downpour outside the white colored vehicle.

“You idiot! I had told you not to do this! I had warned you not to drive!” Hyukjae shouted as he clutched his seatbelt wrapped tightly around his body with both his hands.

Feeling accused, “I did not tell the brakes to stop working!” Donghae shouted back. His eyes were getting watery due to the fear of losing his life and losing it in this way as he had an argument with his best friend.

Don’t worry, the edge of the cliff was still quite a bit far. Well, the car was enjoying their argument.

“This shouldn’t have happened if you weren’t such a stupid, pea-brained fish to begin with!” Hyukjae retorted back and the hurt look on Donghae’s face wasn’t something that could be ignored. “You are an idiot! I tell you, an idiot!” Yet Hyukjae had done the otherwise.

And Donghae decided to use his genius mind once again as he got rid of his own seatbelt, threw open the door to his side and jumped out of the car.

Flabbergasted by his brunette best friend’s sudden behavior, Hyukjae followed suit to Donghae’s actions and the two were soon out of the white Mercedes; Donghae sprawled on the muddy water while Hyukjae catching his scraped knee as an impact to the abrupt fall. The two saw how their once beloved car went past through the edge of the cliff and fell into its misery deep within the forest below it.

The loud sound of the iron and steel bursting with an explosion had startled the two more out of their wits.

“That was my car! The car I had bought with my hard earned money!” Hyukjae yelled as he approached the shocked Donghae a few meters away from him. He harshly caught those arms that belonged to his best friend and made him stand up callously. Even the coldness of the heavy downpour couldn’t put a stop to his burning anger.

There was an undefined hurt being displayed in Donghae’s eyes as he looked right into Hyukjae’s flaring ones.

Donghae was always a sensitive boy ever since his father had passed away. And since then on, he had relied on Hyukjae.

Donghae was basically an orphan after that but somehow, Hyukjae managed to find Donghae in the streets and the two had befriended each other effectively. Though Donghae kept on being sent from one foster home to another in the process, the two had managed to strengthen their friendship despite all that.

Donghae was just ten back then.

And Hyukjae meant the world to him since then. But that same person was also the most capable one to hurt him the most. And though Donghae had endangered their lives just a mere moments ago, it wasn’t entirely his fault to begin with so he felt unjustly accused by that very same precious person who was shaking him cruelly while spouting hurtful and insensitive comments to him.

He whimpered.

He whimpered some more.

And he burst into tears as Hyukjae’s harsh talks and movements hadn’t come to a halt.

Enough!” and he finally shouted in pain as he freed himself from those tight clutches which were Hyukjae’s hands.

“It’s your fault! You have no right to be angry!”

No! It’s not! It’s not my fault that I have a bad luck! It’s not my fault that I am clumsy! It’s not my fault that I’m bad at driving! It’s not my fault that people hate me and call me stupid for things I don’t do on purpose! It’s not my fault that I feel so hurt when you say harsh and mean comments to me! It’s not my fault that my parents died on me and left me on the mercy of foster systems. It’s not my fault that I feel betrayed by you because of all the insensitive treatments you give me and are giving me at this very moment!” he was sobbing so hard that his voice had started to hitch as a result. “I never asked god to make me like this.” He sadly ended as he closed his eyes tight shut and looked down on the muddy water surrounding his sneakers as he clenched his fists hard enough to turn the knuckles white.

The two disregarded the coldness surrounding them. What mattered the most was the coldness surrounding their hearts.

“The things I do are not stupid. They are never meant to be stupid. They just turn out that way in the process, always.” He sobbed more and Hyukjae had started to feel the impact of his actions on Donghae.

Donghae looked up at his best friend, “I always envy you in a good way. Not only are you handsome, but you are great at everything you do.”

Handsome, as long as Hyukjae could recall, Donghae had always been the one who had encouraged him with that word while others made fun of his looks.

“And you are even more lucky to have both the parents while I have none at all.” The brunette continued. “Do you even know how it feels like to be an orphan?” he looked deep into the blonde’s uniquely single lidded eyes. “To be called stupid since the time you get conscious of your surroundings? To yearn for affection from people to the point of believing you could survive the day all thanks to it? To not be really proud of your mere existence?”

“Hae,I’m sorry.” Hyukjae tried holding the other’s hands but Donghae backed away. This was the first time.

“If I could wish for anything at all at this moment, I would wish to live your life and for you to live mine. I wish for you to know how it feels like to be treated that way by the very person you love and depend the most on to be treated like you treated me earlier. I wish to have a family of my own where I get to wake up with their love surrounding me instead of the kicks and harsh shouts from my roommates by being called an orphan.” And with a hiccup, “I really wish I could be you and you could be me for at least a day.” he turned around, letting Hyukjae face his drenched back. “I love you a lot as a friend. But I can’t bring myself to see you at the moment. I’m sorry for damaging your car and I’ll work my strength off to pay you back. Goodbye.” He left his friend behind as he continued crying in the heavy rain.

Hyukjae was feeling guilty.

Beyond guilty actually.

He regretted the mean and insensitive comments he had thrown at his own best friend despite knowing how sensitive the other was and Donghae’s sad and hurt words were echoing in his auditory canals and mind as he recalled those sad eyes.

He too cried for many reasons that day as he made his way to the bus stand in the heavy rain, feeling like a coward for not being able to call or at least text the brunette and say sorry.

His pride was stopping him too actually.

That night, the two laid their backs on their beds in two different parts of Seoul as they recalled the whole event on the cliff. They slept with mixed emotions despite the thundering and lightning from outside their respective rooms but apparently, neither knew what the next morning; next rays of sunrise would bestow upon them.

They had no idea that the enchanted cliff had decided to make Donghae’s wish come true.

They were totally unaware of what was about to approach them from the next day on.

Their switch…


A/N: So.... how was it? I hope it wasn't much of a disappointment. I was so astonished to see the response and subs I got for the forward alone that I couldn't help but feel nervous of going ahead with the story. I really hope it wasn't a waste of time to you after reading the first chapter.

I'm not really sure of when I can update since my schedule is really busy but I will really try my best to not make you guys wait for months or something.

I had actually written so much for my A/N but my dear laptop decided to go, "Hey, now suffer a sudden shut down from my part!" and I lost all that I had wanted to tell.

Anyways, hope to get comments and feedbacks,

Take care lovelies (I've got this habit of addressing my readers as lovelies due to the love they have been giving me for my first ever Fic TOILMFKT... which actually features KyuMin as the main and EunHae as support along with a few other pairings. Okay, reminds me it's time to do my shameless advertising.)

Check out my other fics if you are interested. Just click on the titles and You'll be directed to them.

The one I lost my first kiss to... <-- It's on-going and you might get a heart attack with the length actually. Yet it is the most loved fic of mine so far <3

The Appointment                           <-- Just started this one and the voting poll is open till the 30th of this month. There won't be any updates for it until the results come out so it's still in its embryonic stage if I may say.

A LOVING shout out to my first ever Voter for this fic! I LOVE YOU Inquisitive_One YOU, my SWEET DONGSAENG are AWESOME!

Also, THANKS A LOT and I LOVE you all my AWESOME 21 subbers! <3