Who knew?

Took Me By Surprise.

So she never really bothered with makeup, much less know the basics. Eyeshadow goes on the eyes, right? But.. where? It was normal for her to feign knowledge of the topic whenever anyone asked her what "foundation" she uses or what "blush" she applies. But to be honest, she didn't use any of that. She never really needed it. 

There was one thing that never crossed her mind, and though it seemed easy, she was a blind mouse to --

"Nail polish? You've never used nail polish?" 

He stifled a bit of a laugh, taking her hand in his and examining it carefully. It was almost like handling with a doll, how her hands were formed. She had little dimples where her knuckles were, and her skin was so pristine and lovely. He'd held her hand for so long but he never really took a chance to look at them like this. When he glanced at her nails, he saw that they were an average length and looked as though they've been treated with a nice manicure. 

"Hard to believe with how nice they look, Naeun-ah."

She pulled her hand away, hiding the red tint that was now forming on her cheeks. She never painted her nails before, or saw a point in it really. It looked nice on some girls and sometimes she was even curious to how they made it look so artistic with patterns and glitter and all that. But even so, she couldn't do it herself. She wouldn't even know where to start.

So it was a rather big surprise when her mother had dropped off her birthday present, a basket filled with makeup and nail polish. If this was her mother's way of trying to get her to be girlier, it didn't work.

It was quite a flattering color, however. Just a simple faded red, like the inside of a rose. And red was his favorite color anyway. But to think that she'd be going to Yongguk for guidance was extremely out of the ordinary. He even had the nerve to laugh at her problem. If only she hadn't fallen for that laugh she would have hit him. "Stop laughing.." she mumbled. It was somewhat a touchy subject, seeing as she wasn't like most girls then and she isn't now.

He was still giggling, leaning back along his side of the couch. Maybe he was too busy having a laughing fit to see how embarrassed she was. "You're eighteen years old, I would have figured you learned by now."

"I'm sorry I'm not like every other girl in the world, okay?"

Her voice was actually starting to break, and it wasn't like her to get this upset over such a small thing -- but that was one of Naeun's quirks. She'd often get worked up over the most unexpected things, which would have annoyed anyone in an instant, even her. Luckily, Yongguk didn't mind. He actually loved that about her, though he never said it out loud.

So now, when he realized he'd hit a soft spot, he didn't know what to do. He never poked at her past because it was always a touchy subject for them both, so now it was one of those moments. He wouldn't ask, for her sake. He knew that if she really wanted to share it, she would have. And yeah, it was something he dreaded, because he only wanted her to be open with him as he was with her. Unfortunately, that was a thing he could only wait for.

He slipped the nail polish from her fingertips, pulling her so that she'd turn to face him. Her nose was still scrunched up, but in the way that he loved. 

She was quite surprised when he took her hand and set it on his knee, shaking the nail polish and making that clicking sound. "What are you..?"

"Don't you dare tell anyone I did this." He sighed, avoiding her eyes and determined to prevent his blush from becoming an even deeper shade of red. A little more and his cheeks would match the nail polish.

She was about to question his sudden actions -- until she saw that he had taken the small brush in between his thumb and his index and slowly glided it across her nail. The scary part: he looked like he knew exactly what he was doing. 

"I used to do this for my sister since she hated doing it for her left hand, and it just became normal."

She was quiet the whole time, biting back the enormous smile that formed on her lips. She hoped that he'd look up at her just once, so she could steal a kiss and whisper her loving thanks. Who would have known Bang Yong Guk would know a thing or two about painting nails? She'd love to experiment again, as long as he was helping her, of course.