Final

Fairytale.

I'll delete the first chapter soon. I am so sorry for posting this so late. I hope you'll forgive me >.<

 

 

The wheels of the grand piano squeaked as the backstage crew pushed it to centre stage. I was nervous, scared, and sad but I tried hard to stop the emotions from getting to me. I had to do this right once and for all. For him.

Brushing off the imaginary lint on my tuxedo, I waited patiently for the stage to be ready for me. The spotlight switched on and brought the grand piano into focus, accompanied by the thunderous applause of the hundreds of audience here to watch.

That was my cue.

Taking a deep breathe, I walked towards centre stage and bowed to them, inciting another round of applause. Everyone was clapping, all except the row of judges situated in the middle of the audience. I glanced at them; they meant nothing to me anymore. They used to be everything I had in my life, they guaranteed my success. But ever since I met him, my life changed. This is all for him. For him.

I turned my back to the audience as I strutted toward my seat in front of the piano. The applause dwindled to a hush as I got ready. I took out my phone and pressed the call button, placing it on the piano. I closed my eyes and inhaled, gathering my wrecked nerves. Fighting SeungHyun, you can do it. And the first high E note filled the air.

*Flashback.*

I was absolutely frustrated. The competition is in three months and I still had nothing. I had to compose a song from scratch but all the chords I’m playing just did not feel right. And it did not help that a wonderfully playful boy is sitting behind me. Occasionally tugging my hair or tickling my back. He was adorably distracting. I clutched my hair and groaned in frustration.

Just when I was about to bang my head against the piano keys, a note echoed around the house, followed by a progression into a melody that was surprisingly good. I peeked from under my arm to see JiYong’s face scrunched in concentration, lower lips trapped by his teeth, fingers clumsily tapping at the piano keys. After pressing on a few more notes he seemed satisfied and returned to his seat on the couch. Tilting my head to the left, I replayed the melody, adding a few chords to accompany it.

A bubble of laughter erupted from behind me and I turned to see JiYong beaming, his gummy smile making my heart stutter more than a few times. Quickly jotting down the notes, I went over to JiYong and enveloped him in a hug, causing him to giggle with delight again. His sonorous laughter filled the air, and I wondered if any instrument could ever produce such a wonderful sound. I doubt so. JiYong struggled against my hold and looked at me earnestly.

Help me move in to my new house.

My eyes widened at the sudden proclamation. Was JiYong really saying what he was saying? We have not even kissed yet!

I’m not asking you to move in with me silly. I just need you muscles.

JiYong giggled and wriggled his eyebrows, poking at my biceps just for the heck of it. I was somewhat relief and disappointed at the same time. I was kind of looking forward to living with him. For some unknown reason, I felt that I could live with him forever. Maybe it was his angelic laughter, or maybe it was the fact that I felt happy no matter where I was, as long as I am with him.

JiYong was looking at me expectantly for my reply, eyes opened wide while giving me that cute pout. I could never say no to that. Instead of replying, I pushed my sleeves up my forearm and tackled JiYong onto the sofa. JiYong saw it coming but failed to react fast enough. He squirmed and giggled as I attacked his sides. Once again, peals of laughter filled the air.

►◄

The mission of moving house has turned into a movie date with JiYong. JiYong and I were snuggled together on the couch in the middle of his messy living room. The television and DVD player was plugged and placed on a makeshift table. I was really excited about the movie but it did not turn out as well as I thought it would be. Apparently, the movie was an angst romance movie that had a really tragic ending where the female got diagnosed with a deadly illness. There was no miracle in this movie, the female died.

So here I am sitting on the couch watching the credits roll by while listening to JiYong sob his heart out. I was in a dilemma. Should I put my arms around him to comfort him and risk getting whacked everywhere? Or should I just sit and watch? Steeling my nerves, I reached over to the blond head. The hand that was holding a wad of soaking wet tissue against the pouring eyes s out to whack me on my head, causing me to flinch and retract my hand. The red-rimmed eyes snapped at my direction to glare at me.

There’s no such thing as fairytales.

I knew JiYong was a man of emotions. He was someone who laughs when he wants to, be angry when he feels like it’s okay to, and cry when he could not hold it in anymore. But the words that just spilled out of his mouth, laced with distaste, made my heart sink. He sounded as if he truly believed that fairy tales does not exist. No 'Once upon a time', no 'Happily ever after'. He sounded so hopeless and lonely.

That’s not true.

My reply made him look down and fiddle with the edge of his shirt, his shoulders trembling with every shaky breath he took. I could tell that JiYong was struggling with conflicting emotions and it made me wonder what happened that made him lose all hope. An ex-boyfriend?  Family issues? But I did not dare ask him now. Probably some other time when he feels like his ready to tell me.

The overconfident, cheeky JiYong was gone, replaced by a JiYong that was insecure and vulnerable. JiYong held my hand gently and looked up at me, tears threatening to spill at any moment.

Promise me, when the world is ignoring me, you will not ignore me. Only you cannot ignore me.

His fingers squeezed mine, his eyes desperately searching for an answer on my face. Reassurance that I'm his even though I gave him my heart so long ago.

I brought my free hand up and brushed it across his flushed cheek, wiping his tear stained face. Cupping his face, I leaned in closer and watched in anticipation as JiYong leaned in towards me, eyes fluttering shut with his face tilting slightly. His plush lips were parted, breathing a shallow but fast pace. His lips were only an inch away from my own lips. Slowly but surely, I leaned in a little more and pressed our lips together.

Our first kiss was like a sudden explosion of fireworks. Beautiful, surprising and wonderfully electrifying. I have never tasted such sweet, soft lips before. JiYong’s breath hitched and he responded by pressing back, his grasp on my hand tightening. I bit on his lower lip and pulled back to lean my fore head against his.

I would never ignore you, not for everything else in the world.

Shifting back so that I could see JiYong’s face, I was shocked at the sight that greeted me. JiYong was glowing with gratitude and happiness, but that was not what made me jump out of bed and snatch the tissue from the box beside the table. His nose was bleeding. JiYong, taken aback by my actions, jutted out his lower lips. I returned hurriedly to the couch, dabbing at the blood flowing from his nose. My lover blinked in confusion, only when I showed him the bloodied tissue did he understood what I was doing.

This has been happening for a few weeks already.

JiYong’s whisper was heavy with dread. He hung his head low, not daring to look at me.

I’ll go see the doctor with you.

I smiled at JiYong encouragingly. JiYong was still a little hesitant though.

But… but what if it’s something horrible?

I’ll protect you.

At those three words, I could see a tiny smile forming on JiYong’s lips. He tackled me with a hug.

You promise?

Forever.

►◄

JiYong shifted uncomfortably as the doctor placed the chilling stethoscope on his back. We were in the doctor’s office of the city hospital, the stench of sterilisers assaulting my senses. I watched as JiYong inhaled and exhaled, lips forming an adorable ‘O’ shape. How can he be so cute even at times like this?

The furrow on the doctor’s brow was worrying, but I pushed it to the back of my mind. What are the chances? I fidgeted about as the doctor proceeded to diagnose JiYong. The doctor’s office was rather homey with a large bookshelf lining one side of the world. There was bed at the back of the room and a stack of toys arranged neatly at the corner of it. JiYong caught my curious glance and chuckled, making me blush.

Once the doctor was done, we sat opposite of him, waiting for him to give the diagnosis. JiYong was filled dread as both his hands were clenched into fists on his lap. I reached over to hold his hand and he grabbed on to it, fingers interlacing with mine and bringing about indescribable warmth. The doctor sifted through JiYong’s past records on his table and with a grave voice, said:

I will need you to come in for further check-ups. It’s not confirmed yet, but I think you might have cancer.

My grip on JiYong’s hand tightened, a million thoughts running through my mind. It’s not confirmed yet right? How far is he into this cancer? How long more can he live? Will he survive? JiYong, on the other hand was calm and composed. It was puzzling. Cancer! He was diagnosed with cancer! How can he just sit there and accept this situation? I tugged at his hand, my frantic eyes searching his face for a reaction. But he just turned to me with a small smile and whispered.

You’ll protect me right? You won’t ignore me right?

It was then I realised that JiYong has placed all his trust into me to protect him, to make the rest of his life a happy one. And I decided immediately that I would do anything for him. I will not disappoint him.

►◄

I felt like the world was against us, pressing on our shoulders, waiting to see when we would crumble and fall. Turns out JiYong did have blood cancer, and it was at a stage where the tumour cells were starting to spread to other parts of his body. That means that there was no pro-longing it. No second chance for JiYong. Needless to say, his condition worsened by tenfold. I made the decision to move in with him so I was by his side every minute of the day, helping him with whatever he needs.

As days passed, the time I have before the competition lessens, likewise for the time I have with JiYong. JiYong’s appetite was almost gone, eating at most a bowl of rice a day. His weight had almost half and it took only a few steps up the stairs before he was out of breath. A slight knock will cause him a bruise that took forever to heal.

JiYong fought the disease with vigour I have never seen in anyone before. He was awe-inspiring. Refusing to give in to the disease that threatened to take his him, he continued living his life to the fullest. He refused to let his bruises pull his mood down, or the bleeding gums from eating as much as his diminishing appetite allowed. Sometimes, I feel like it hurts me more than it hurts him.

My heart was constricting slowly, every single day. It was as if there was a steel chain wrapped around it. Every time JiYong coughed up blood or get a bruise, it tightens by a millimetre, never letting up. Even when he smiled the chain tightened. Soon, I would not be able to breathe. But I had to be strong for him.

I wanted to back out of the competition to spend more time with JiYong but he insisted that I went through with it.

Do it for me.   

I could tell from his gaze that he did not want himself to be the reason why I stop playing the piano, or sing for that matter. I sighed and nestled my head in the spot between his neck and shoulders, breathing in the sweet, beautiful scent of JiYong. Jasmine. My favourite. I tried not to think about how much time I have left to smell his scent. We have never approached the topic of what was going to happen when his gone. I knew he wanted to talk about it but I never allowed him to. It was still too sensitive a topic for me.

Before I could protest, JiYong had already retracted out of my embrace and started pushing me towards the piano in the corner of the room. He used what little strength he had to press me down on the piano bench. After I was seated, I turn to see him make way to the couch, settling into it, and looked at me expectantly. There was a hint of sadness I could not identify, and it was my first time seeing it. Deciding not to question him about it, I sighed, slightly frustrated and continued composing where I left off.

►◄

The soft morning light filtered in through the window, the curtains not doing much to block out the light. JiYong's hands were splayed on my stomach while his legs were entangled with mine. His shallow breath was soft against my face, the sleeping boy the epitome of an angel. The sun cast shadows of his long eyelashes on his cheeks and his pale lips were slightly parted. He’s sick but he still looked so beautiful.

I threaded my hand through his blond hair and noticed how it was thinning. Before, his hair would shine and he would flick his fringe as if he was advertising for a shampoo brand. The healthy lustre was gone now, replaced by a dull layer that manage to cover his head without showing any bald spots. JiYong was clearly affected by this.

If we were going out to the doctor or making short trips to a nearby place because he could not walk far, he would wear a beanie to cover up his head. He wanted to wear the beanie at home too but I refused to let him. I know he was embarrassed about it but he is beautiful the way he is and I do not want him to feel bad about himself even at home. Besides, I could tell he was really uncomfortable with something covering his head all day.

JiYong was trying to stay strong all the time but he gets tired sometimes, and it strangles me. When see him frowning while touching his hair or glare at the bruises on his hand, I die a little inside. Because I know they would not go away and I could do nothing to make them go away.

I shifted on my side and pressed my lips on his forehead, his nose, and his eyes, making them flutter open.

SeungHyun? JiYong’s voice was husky, and it tickled me inside.

I did not answer him and continued to kiss the first bruise just below his neck. I made my way to his arms scattering whispers of kisses on the plethora of bruises, the whole time loving how smooth his skin was but hating the ugly blues and blacks that decorated it. Shifting his shirt out of the way, I kissed his stomach, pressing longer at the huge bruise right above his belly button. JiYong’s breathe hitched and I panicked, worried that I pressed a little too hard. I looked up to JiYong’s endearing gaze, eyebrows furrowed with worry.

Why are you crying SeungHyun?

The steel chain around my heart contracted, the coldness seeping slowly to the core. And suddenly I could not breathe. I tried to inhale, but the chain just would not let up and it hurts. I could feel the tears pouring out and I reached blindly for JiYong. I felt JiYong’s arm circle around me. His hand my back up and down, trying to get me to calm down.

Shh SeungHyun. It’s okay. It’s okay.

I held on to JiYong for my dear life, struggling to take in air once more. This time I succeeded, my wracked sobs subsiding gradually to sniffles with JiYong’s constant murmurs of sweet nothings.

I'm sorry.

I managed to wheeze out between my erratic breathing.

What for?

The chain squeezed at my heart. Because I disappointed my angel. Because I failed to save JiYong. I felt more than saw Jiyong quirking his eyebrows in confusion. He continued rubbing circles on my back, doing wonders. I relaxed into his embrace, head on his shoulders, my tears soaking his shirt.

For not being able to protect you.

I felt so guilty for being selfish then, for breaking down and being weak in front of JiYong when I’m supposed to be strong. Frustrated because I could only watch his condition deteriorate from the side lines. Helpless because I could not do anything about the bruises on JiYong. It was like they were a part of me; I was hurting together with JiYong. Every part of his body was a part of my heart. And I could only imagine how much he was suffering on the inside.

There was a prolonged silence before a single tear from JiYong trickled down my neck, a drop that was enough to make me look up. JiYong averted eye contact, his head lowered. I placed my hand on both sides of his face and tilted it upwards, forcing him to make eye contact with me. JiYong's lower lip trembled, hands coming up to grab mine.

You have done more for me than anyone else in my entire life Hyunnie. You never ignored me like they did. You never left me alone like they did. That's all I ever wanted and that's what you provided me with. I couldn't ask for more.

His voice was layered with emotions and love. Love that made my heart thump twice as fast and butterflies to stir in my stomach. Love that made me feel bless and excited about the bleak future as long as he was by my side. Love that made me feel like I have everything in the world and more.

All of that would be gone once his gone.

I leaned in to kiss him, trying my best to transfer all the love I felt back to him. I memorised the way his lips felt on mine. The softness and the warmth. I memorised the way his lips shifted and capture my lower lip, the way his tongue darted out shyly to my own. And I hoped and wished with all my heart that this will never end.

►◄

There was only two weeks left before my competition date. I was scheduled for my personal rehearsal this evening and I decided to bring JiYong along. There was a certain risk factor to it since JiYong was weaker than ever but since this session was private, I decided to take the opportunity to perform a mini concert for JiYong. It would be the first time he hears the whole song that I composed for the competition.

I would like to think that the song was composed by both of us. After all, the melody was his and my inspiration came from him. This whole song was composed for him, made about him and undeniably belonged to him. It was a piece of my heart that I wanted him to have.

JiYong was extremely excited when I told him about the rehearsal two days before. He could not stop bouncing around and the energy was more than I have seen in a while. He even prepared the outfit he wanted to wear a day before, matching his beanie with a suitable cardigan over a shirt and skinny jeans. I could understand why he was such a ball of energy for the rehearsal. This special occasion was the reason we were going for a date since forever.

Yesterday night was a rather uncomfortable night for me. There was this horrible gut feeling that something was going to happen. It prevented me from sleeping and left me tossing and turning on the bed. I almost woke JiYong up but a soft lullaby lulled him back to dreamland again. It was the reason why I was taking extra precaution today, never letting JiYong out of my sight.

The competition venue was right around the corner and in all of JiYong's eagerness; we made the final decision to walk there. I was totally against that idea as I was worried that it would take a toll on JiYong but he insisted on it. And I could not resist his pout and puppy dog eyes. I held on to JiYong's hand all the way there, not letting it go. Our hands intertwined, his hand looking tiny in my larger hand. I memorised the way he fitted perfectly with me and realised that it was becoming a habit. A habit to memorise him.

Trying not to think about it, I tugged JiYong away from the antique shop towards the concert hall. The concert hall was grand and old; its legacy speaks for itself. The foyer was built to impress, with a grand staircase right when you enter leading to the three main theatres. The theatre was littered with ornaments in the form of different musical instruments, each getting their own spotlight and covered by a glass casing to protect it from filthy hands and the ever changing temperature.

It was the first time JiYong had ever been to this theatre and he was awe-strucked by it. He kept stopping to peer at the musical ornaments and I let him do that, waiting patiently at the side for him to finish gawking. I took the time to admire his side profile, observing his delicate fingers trace the glass casings. His eyes were bright and filled with curiosity, lips moving to murmur incomprehensible praises for the ornaments. I could not help myself.

I tugged on JiYong's hand and slant my lips over his. Taking in his scent while nibbling his lips, I felt JiYong grin and sigh into the kiss. His hand left mine to thread through my hair, finally finding their resting place around my neck. My own hands knead the small of his hips and I felt him melt into my embrace. He returned the kiss gently, lips moving sensually to envelop my own, tongue politely asking for entry. Our tongues entangled, neither of us fighting for dominance, both of us just enjoying each other.

The steel chain around my heart constricted a painful reminder.

It was only when the embarrassed help desk lady clear did we stop our blatant public display of affection. Not hindered by the interruption at all, I dragged a flustered JiYong towards the blushing lady at the help desk to register my name for the rehearsal. After checking my identification and that I am on the list, JiYong and I made our way to the backstage.

Making our way through the complicated maze caused by the numerous props, we finally found the door that lead to the stage. The stage was of high class with walls build to reflect the sounds created back towards the audience and to prevent any noise from backstage from leaking. The audience seats were empty, amplifying the size of the concert hall. The spotlight shone on the lone grand piano in the middle of the stage, waiting for the next occupant the create wonders with it.

JiYong's eyes glistened as he took in the surroundings, his hand squeezed mine as tried to express his gratitude and excitement. Butterflies erupted in my stomach as nervousness overwhelmed me. The thought of playing the song to JiYong was suddenly so nerve wrecking. JiYong noticed my tense state and pulled me to him. His hand locked at my waist, hugging me close. I swallowed a gasp as my heart stuttered at the close proximity that I will never get used to. My face heat up as his lips brushed my ear, his warm breath tickling my neck.

Fighting Seunghyun, you can do it.

Just like that, my knotted muscles relaxed into him. His jasmine scent was doing magic in calming me down too. Reluctantly, I slipped out of his embrace to settle into the piano bench. My rapid heart sensed the familiar environment and made peace, slowing to a norm. JiYong stood behind me, just visible from the corner of my eye. I smirk as I saw him fidget slightly, a sudden confidence taking over me as I watch him anticipate the song.

I straightened my back to an elegant posture and prepared myself. Just as I was about to hit the E note I felt a rush of wind beside me and heard a sickening thud. My heart stopped as the rush of dread and bad gut feeling washed over me once more. I whipped my head around to see JiYong's form crumpled on the floor. It was terrifying.

I was at his side in an instance, hands trembling as it fluttered over his form, checking if there were any new bruises or he was bleeding from his mouth or nose. His erratic, shallow breathing struck a chord in me and I started to panic. I picked JiYong up bridal style and ran out of the concert hall. Everything was a blur. All I could notice was the harsh breathing of JiYong in my arm and my own brain panicking.

Get JiYong to the hospital. Get JiYong to the hospital. Save him. He can't die. Save him.

I had an impression of the help lady shouting if I needed help but I ignored her. My need to physically move JiYong in order to save him had me throwing all logical thought out the window. Thank goodness there was clinic a few blocks away from the concert hall.

SeungHyun..

I was shock to see JiYong semi-conscious, hands grasping at my chest.

My times not up yet. I can't die now. Save me SeungHyun.

My eyes widen when I felt JiYong's erratic breathing become faint, eyes closing off the world once more. My legs took me to the clinic automatically, left moving in front of the right without much thought. The world dissolved into the back ground as I ran as fast as I could, desperation heavy on my shoulders. Curses were thrown at me as I barge into pedestrians without an apology. When I reached the clinic, the nurse called the ambulance immediately while the doctor tend to JiYong. I tried to get out of his was but I could not bear to let go of JiYong. I need to protect him.

►◄

The rustle of the doctor's coat disgust me. The whitewashed walls of the hospital sickened me. The clicking of shoes of the nurses made my head spin.  And the stench of the sterilisers made me want to puke. MY stomach churned as I felt bile coming up my throat. I tried swallowing it back down but it just made me gag some more. Covering my mouth with my hand, I sprinted to the nearest toilet and emptied my stomach into the toilet bowl.

I do not know how long more JiYong can hold on.

Another wave of nausea hit me, and I vomited some more, gagging at the gross after taste.

His time is running out. Do what you need to do.

I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand and choked back a sob. The selfish devil that was in the back of my mind had emerged, shooting me with questions I have been avoiding since that fateful day. What you going to do now? JiYong is leaving you. He doesn’t want you anymore. You're going to be along again. You should have left him earlier. Save yourself the heart break. Every word that echoed into my head stabbed at my heart, it was like the chain had grown spikes, or maybe it was already there in the first place. My head throbbed as the echoes grew louder,

SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!

I curled into a ball and clutched at my temples, pressing it hard enough to make it hurt even more, so I could focus on that pain instead of the voice inside, or the ache in my damn heart. My heart was suffocating against the chains, blood oozing as the each pump pressed against the spikes. I was literally killing myself. My quiet sobs has transformed into cries that hurt every time I inhale. Thoughts revolved around me as I soaked in my glorious self-pity. It was pathetic. I was pathetic. A damn ing joke.

I in a breath with much difficulty, trying to get myself to breathe normally again. My hands fell limply as I relaxed and opened my eyes, squinting at the whiteness around me. My head was still pounding, but at least the voice disappeared. I opened the door to see a kid looking at me weirdly. I glared at him and he took off, screaming to his mommy about a stranger who was strange. I sighed and looked into the mirror.

A dishevelled black haired monster stared back with a look that was enough to make me flinch. The black haired monster flinched together with me. Bringing my hand up to touch my face, I watched as the monster did the exact same thing. Tears trickled down its cheeks as its facial expression soften, realising that it was me. What am I doing? JiYong needs me now more than ever. Stop being selfish. You promised you would protect him.

I turned the tap on and washed my face, scrubbing at the tear stains and remnants of my vomit away. I took the napkin and wiped my face. Other than the blood shot eyes, no one would be able to tell I had a break down. I took in a deep breath and calmed myself one last time before making my way to JiYong's room, hardened and calm.

The handle clicked as I opened the door, the beeping of the machines assaulting my ears immediately. JiYong lay on the bed in the middle of the room, sleeping soundly. His chest rise and fall minutely. Seeing the movement made me release a sigh of relief I did not even notice I was holding.

I made my way to his bed side and observed his facial expression silently. His plush lips were greyish pink, slightly parted to let his breath out. His cheeks had no colour and were sunken in, cheek bones prominent. But I found that I still love him. The way those lips lift up when he smile at me or the way his cheeks puff out when his upset. They were all a part of him that him special.

I took his hand in mine and held on to it as if it was my lifeline. Fatigue crawled its way into me and I laid my head on the bed, too tired to think about anything anymore.

I’m sorry JiYong…

►◄

Two weeks later.

SeungHyun, could you do me a favour and open the curtains? I want to see the sky.

JiYong’s voice was like paper rustling, husky and weak. It was muffled by the oxygen mask, making him sound somewhat robotic too. I stood up and opened them for him. The sky was bright, illuminating the room.

It was around midday and it was the day of my competition. I was already in my tux and was spending the remaining time I had before the competition with JiYong. Two weeks since the day the doctor told me JiYong could die any moment. I was surprised and over the moon that JiYong was still alive, but I did not want to say anything about it, worried that I might jinx it. That morning when I woke up, I was unusually calm and at peace. I had a hunch why, but I pushed it into the recesses of my mind.

What are you thinking about?

I had forgotten that JiYong was awake and waiting for me to do something.

Nothing much. I shrugged and mumbled an apology.

JiYong remained quiet for a while, eyes thoughtfully scrutinising me.

Will you remember me? I was slightly taken aback by that question. Was that even a question I need to answer? That part of my heart was forever his and would be a reminder of him forever.

Forever. JiYong gave me a little smile at my answer, and it pained me to think that I would never dee his full-fledged gummy smile again.

When you think about me, you must remember all the happy memories and smile okay?

I bite back my tears, fist clenched as I made my way back to his side. I brushed his cheeks and kissed his forehead, a single tear drop making its way down my cheek. JiYong was still grinning; eyes fluttering close as I leaned into him.

Always.

My phone beeped, signalling to us that it was time for me to head to the concert hall. I grasped JiYong’s hand squeezing it tight before I passed him his phone and gave him one last kiss. I shifted the oxygen mask out of the way and pressed my lips onto his, eyes clenched shut as I told myself to breathe. I pulled back to see JiYong’s peaceful expression.

Fighting SeungHyun, you can do it.

I nodded my head, determined. I ensured that JiYong was comfortable before I left. At the door I turned back once more to see JiYong smiling at me, hands raised to shoo me away.

I love you.

Holding it in and keeping my emotions in check, I memorised the way JiYong looked for the last time before leaving.

►◄

The wheels of the grand piano squeaked as the backstage crew pushed it to centre stage. I was nervous, scared, and sad but I tried hard to stop the emotions from getting to me. I had to do this right once and for all. For him.

Brushing off the imaginary lint on my tuxedo, I waited patiently for the stage to be ready for me. The spotlight switched on and brought the grand piano into focus, accompanied by the thunderous applause of the hundreds of audience here to watch.

That was my cue.

Taking a deep breathe, I walked towards centre stage and bowed to them, inciting another round of applause. Everyone was clapping, all except the row of judges situated in the middle of the audience. I glanced at them; they meant nothing to me anymore. They used to be everything I had in my life, they guaranteed my success. But ever since I met him, my life changed. This is all for him. For him.

I turned my back to the audience as I strutted toward my seat in front of the piano. The applause dwindled to a hush as I got ready. I took out my phone and pressed the call button, placing it on the piano. I closed my eyes and inhaled, gathering my wrecked nerves. Fighting SeungHyun, you can do it. And the first high E note filled the air.

I've forgotten how long it has been

Since the last time I heard you

Tell me your favourite story

 

I have thought for a long time

I start to panic

Wondering if I have done something wrong again

 

You told me as you cried

That the fairy tales are all lies

I couldn't possibly be your prince.

 

But perhaps you don't understand either

Ever since you told me you loved me

All the stars in my sky brightened.

 

I'm willing to become the one in the fairy tale

The angel that you love

I extend this pair of hands

And turn them into wings to protect you

 

You must believe

Believe we will be like we are in a fairy tale

Where blessings and happiness is the ending

 

I will become the one in the fairy tale

The angel that you love

I extend this pair of hands

And turn them into wings to protect you

 

You must believe

Believe we will be like we are in a fairy tale

Where blessings and happiness is the ending

Together we can write our own ending

Back at the hospital, JiYong held the phone to his ear, the sweet melody playing. SeungHyun’s voice was so layered with emotions, singing passionately to JiYong and only JiYong. A tear escaped as JiYong listened intently.

And by the end of the song, a lone beep echoed through the room. The phone clacked on the floor, leaving nothing behind.