That Concert in Busan

Story's of the FNC Band

“Boys, I entered our band in a contest this weekend.”Hongki announced to his brothers and friend.

“Really hyung? You did?” Minhwan asked the latecomer to their practice.

“How much is the price money? Is that why you were late? You entered us in a contest?”

“That and some other things.” Hongki smiled sheepishly.

“Other things like girls?” Jaejin again asked and Hongki just smiled again but Jaejin threw him a pillow but he just dodged it.

“Where’s the contest? Please tell me it’s somewhere near Seoul please.” Jonghyun begged though his attention was still at his guitar.

Hongki began to fidget and everyone began to look at him since he’s still not answering the last question. Jonghyun then put down his guitar and looked at his twin brother. “Where is it?” He again asked.

“Busan.” With that one word, Hongki was attacked by the three boys. One saying that it’s too far and they price will just be paid for their travel expenses, the other saying it’s too soon and the other saying that he’s always booking them on far away places.

Just then Jieun came in and seeing everyone attacking her oppa, she began to run towards them and stopped the whole thing. “Don’t hurt my oppa.” She shouted at her brothers and best friend. “Hongki oppa, are you alright?” Hongki then hugged his sister and said, “You’re really an angel. Thank you for coming to my rescue.”

“Why are they hurting you oppa?” Jieun asked full of concern.

“Because he booked us a gig in Busan!” Jaejin exclaimed. With that Jieun suddenly released Hongki and began hitting him. Everyone was shocked since her attacks were more painful than theirs. It was now their turn to stop her.

“Why so mad?” Minhwan asked his friend.

“Because this oppa, made me promised to come with you guys since he said it would be better if you guys have another guitar in the group. He also invited Joohyun unnie to come and play the keyboards. They’re actually on their way here now.” She told the group.

“They? Meaning she’s coming too?” Jonghyun asked.

“Of course I’m coming too! I will never let this opportunity to pass.” Yoona answered as she enters the door with Seohyun following behind her.

“But you don’t even play any musical instrument.” Jonghyun told her.

“So what? I’m not going as a member of the band. I’m going as your coordinator.” Yoona said as she clings to Jonghyun who immediately took her hands off.

“Seohyun-ah, are you okay with this? This gig is in Busan. It’s too far.” Jaejin asked his best friend.

“I think it’s okay. I can just study for the exam as we travel. It would also be fun once in a while to go on trips.” She smiled innocently making Hongki smile too. He then went to her and put his arms around her shoulders.

“See. Seohyun’s right. That’s the spirit.” He said looking at her.

“Oppa, please take off your hands.” Seohyun told Hongki making the others snicker.

“Is Shinhye coming?” Yoona asked.

“She can’t, she has taekwondo practice. Her tournament is next week.” Hongki answered.

“Everyone let’s start the practice since these two girls will be our temporary members again.” Jonghyun told everyone and soon practice did start.

 

Yonghwa was running late with his band practice. They have a gig that night in a bar. They entered in one of the biggest band contest in Busan. It was said that bands from even as far as Seoul came to join. He was b with excitement that he unintentionally bumped into a girl who was holding a plastic bag full of soda drinks and chips.

“Yah! Watch it!” Yoona exclaimed.

“Are you okay unnie?” Seohyun asked.

Yonghwa began to help them by picking up the drinks while saying his apologies at the same time. As he was handing the drinks to them he then realized that he was facing two very pretty girls. The one he bumped into was the y type while the other one was the innocent type. He seemed to be attracted more to the innocent one. He was about to ask her name when suddenly another girl called out, “Unnie are you alright?” He then looked at the source of the voice and saw a young girl carrying a guitar and four boys, two of them also carrying guitars on their own. He then remembered that he was late with his band meeting and bowed to the two girls and again apologized.

“It’s okay. We are sorry too.” He heard the innocent one said.

He then began to run to his band practice.

 

“Are you girls okay?” Jonghyun asked.

“We’re fine. It’s okay since he’s kinda hot.” Yoona answered as she looks at the boy they just had an encounter.

“Hyung, it seems that noona’s finally noticing other boys too.” Minhwan joked. Hongki began to laugh when he saw his brother’s face looked like he’s constipated.

“Let’s just go. We need to go to the venue and look at the place.” Jaejin said and Minhwan and Hongki then took the plastic bags from the girls.

 

That night, Yonghwa was shocked to see the girls he bumped into earlier that day. They seemed to be part of another group that joined the contest. He was puzzled if the girl that got his attention also plays an instrument of just a groupie like the y one.

Soon they were called and his group will be playing one of his compositions. Since their group is pretty well known in Busan, the crowd went wild as soon as they entered the stage. Their band gave their best and soon two songs were done. Yonghwa was very much contented with their performance and judging from the crowd’s reaction, they were quite successful.

 

After them Yonghwa realized that the group following them were the ones that came from Seoul. He also realized that it was the group that he saw earlier with the girls. He was more awed when two girls went up the stage and the innocent girl was one of them along with the youngest girl in the group.

 

Everyone was nervous. The group that played before them were really good and it was also a fact that they’re home grown. Hongki then began to jump up and down trying hard to relieve some stress. They huddled together, said a little prayer and soon they were going up the stage.

Hongki immediately went to the center and took the microphone. He began to introduce the band and talked to the audience while the others were still setting up. Being his bubbly self, he was able to entertain the crowd. The girls in the audience began to swoon as they saw four hot boys on stage. The men in the crowd were also in for a treat for there were two very pretty girls on stage too.

Everyone was anticipating their performance and soon Hongki began to sing…

(FTIsland Satisfaction, Korean Version Credit to Tomatoes for the translation)

Where should I search for the happiness?
My body is carried by tomorrow’s wind
The adventure has started.

Then music began to play. Yonghwa was amazed by the sound that the group was producing. Though they were amateurs, they really sounded professionals.

The starlight radiates in the silent dawn
The city’s starlight goes off one by one
When I open my eyes in my dream, I can’t go back to sleep anymore
I look forward for my upcoming future

I leave the magical city
I try to sketch my life like a rainbow
My passion is engraved in my busy head
Until the end of the universe, I can get everything

Where should I search for happiness?
My obvious dream and passion in my heart
When the world ends, let’s scatter

My body is carried by tomorrow’s wind
To the journey that never ends
The adventure has started

When the world ends, what should I search for?
Within the wave of tomorrow’s wind and time

I cope with my heart and myself so I can fight the world
The begin of the beautiful journey

Where should I search for happiness?
My obvious dream and passion in my heart
When the world ends let’s scatter

My body is carried by tomorrow’s wind
To the journey that never ends
The adventure has started

What is it that I want to find, what is it that I want to see
What is it that I want to abandon, what is is it that I want to get
The more valuable the things are, seems like I am indifferent
My growing regret

Where should I search for happiness?
My obvious dream and passion in my heart
When the world ends, let’s scatter

My body is carried by tomorrow’s wind
To the journey that never ends
The adventure has started
When the journey ends
I will be by your side

 

Yonghwa then knew that this group is one group to look out for. They have the potential they were obviously talented and they all have the looks. Just then the group began to play the next song.

 

Hongki knew that their next song is a big risk since it’s more of a ballad than a rock song but he also knew that if ever they pull it off it will prove their versatility.

(FTIsland Severely, credit to Pop!saga for English translation)

Letting you go without any expression, as if it’s nothing -
I practiced doing that every day but it’s still awkward

I also practiced how to secretly cry while smiling but
I feel like my trembling voice will give it away quickly

Loving is probably hundreds and thousands of times more difficult than breaking up
But I’m a fool that can’t live without you – what do you want me to do?

Severely, I guess I loved you too severely
I don’t even breath and I look around for you
I don’t know when I’ll be able to stop
Severely, I guess I loved you too severely
I think letting you go is more severe than dying

No matter how much it hurts, every day I practiced
Trying to get used to spending a day as if it’s nothing

I don’t think I can forget you anyway
Even if I’m sick with an incurable disease
I’m a fool that can’t live without you – what do you want me to do?

Severely, I guess I loved you too severely
I don’t even breath and I look around for you
I don’t know when I’ll be able to stop
Severely, I guess I loved you too severely
I think letting you go is more severe than dying

If this was how it’s going to be, I shouldn’t have loved
When will I forget you?

Foolishly, I guess I loved you so foolishly
Because of you, I can’t even dream of another love
I’m a fool that only knows you – what do you want me to do?

Severely, I guess we broke up so severely
What’s so hard about saying goodbye that I can’t even open my lips and am hesitating?
Severely, I guess we broke up so severely
You remain deeper than a scar in my heart so I can’t erase you

 

At the end of the song, the crowd was quiet. Everyone was really nervous now. Jonghyun knew that they were able to perform the last song well. Jaejin knew that Hongki was exceptional in their performance, Hongki knew that they just had a perfect performance. Minhwan was so nervous why it was so quiet. Just then they heard someone sniffed, then a clap and soon everyone was cheering for them. They knew then that everything will be fine.

 

Yonghwa was the first one. He was so touched by the emotions that were played just now. Everyone was in sync. It was as if everyone was singing with the vocalist through their instruments. Then and there he knew who would win, and he accepted his defeat wholeheartedly. He then approached the group and offered his congratulations.

“I’m Jung Yonghwa. You’re group was phenomenal. I really liked your performance.” He said as he introduced himself.

Everyone then bowed to him and began to introduce themselves. “We also liked your group’s performance. You were really good.” Jonghyun told this new guy.

“You have a very charismatic voice Yonghwa-ssi.” Hongki said.

“And to think it was you who wrote the song your group just sang.” Jaejin said.

“You’re really daebak Yonghwa-ssi.” Minhwan added.

Yonghwa was about to talk to Seohyun when suddenly it was announced that the FNC’s Band was the winner and everyone then went up the stage.

Yonghwa then went beside Yoona who was clapping loudly. “You’re with them right?” He asked the girl.

“Yes and you were the one that bumped to us earlier.” She answered.

“When are you guys going back to Seoul?” He asked.

“Tonight. As soon as they finish here we will hurry and catch the last train back home.” She said.  “By the way Yonghwa-ssi, she’s my bestfriend and her name is Seo Joohyun. But everyone calls her Seohyun, well except for us who are close to her.” Yoona then bowed to him and joined her friends.

 

“It was a good thing we won hyung. Or else we won’t be able to cover our traveling expenses.” Jaejin told Hongki.

“At least we were able to have fun with seagulls earlier.”  Minhwan told his hyungs.

“It’s another trophy to be added in our collection. I was so nervous. Yonghwa-ssi’s group was really good.” Jonghyun said.

“They’re good but we were better… Hahahahaha!!!” Hongki said conceitedly.

The girls just laughed at the boys’ conversation. Soon almost everyone was sleeping since they were so tired. Yoona then looked at her bestfriend who was reading a book. “What do you think about that Yonghwa guy?”

“Yonghwa? Who’s he? I didn’t meet any Yonghwa.” Seohyun said still focused on her books.

“You’re really hopeless.” Yoona was exasperated.

“Whatever unnie.” Seohyun then put down her book and closed her eyes to sleep.

 

Six months after the contest…

“Yonghwa-yah!” Mrs. Jung called out.

“Yes mom. What is it?” Yonghwa said as he was walking with his guitar towards his mom.

“You’re dad just called and said that he’s been reassigned to Seoul. Do you want to come with us or you’d rather stay here?” She asked.

“I think I’ll go with you guys. There are some people that I’d like to meet over there.”

“Enough for you to leave your friends here?”

Yonghwa just shrugged his shoulders at his mom and continued to play with his guitar while singing his newly composed song, “Weotoriya, Weotoria, daradiridaradu…”

 

A/N:

Hope you like!!! This is the first time they met... If you have any things to discuss about this chapter please feel free to do so..