Chapter 5

Monotonous Life, They Said

Chapter 5 - Jet Lag


 

  The sun rised, the birds chirped welcoming the morning. Everybody was preparing for their morning activities. Students were heading to school.

But, this house was entirely silent. Only soft snores can be heard in the main bedroom. Suddenly, the silence was broken by a sound of a ringing phone. Making the owner of it woke up abruptly. He reached for the phone and rejected the call before went back to sleep. He didn't look who was calling him, and he didn't bother to look what time was that. All he cared was only sleep.

  The phone kept ringing for the third time. He started to get annoyed then quickly slammed his phone inside the drawer. The silence filled the house again. But that didn't last for even an hour, because around fifteen minutes after the last call, the phone started to disturb his sleep again. Frowning, he tried to cover his ears with the pillow and closed his eyes even tighter.

The fifth time,

 

The sixth time,

 

The seventh time,

 

Out of irritation, he groaned while took the phone out from the drawer before answer it with a “What?” in an annoyed tone. He still didn't look who was the caller before he answer it. He didn't care because this person was already pissing him off.

The moment he held his phone to his ear, a raised voice was heard across the line.

“What the hell are you doing Zelo?! I already called you for hundred times!” He gritted his teeth, knowing who was the caller who disturb him.

Screw you Jongup.

 

*          *          *

 

 Zelo's POV

 

  Staying at home the entire day was seriously boring. I'll back to school in two days, so I still had my free days until tomorrow. But, spending the time only by watching TV, eat, or else just brought me into a deep boredom.

My parents woke up late today because they were tired from the long flight yesterday. Me as well, was planning to sleep the entire day. But thanks to Jongup who ruined my plan by calling me in the morning which at first I suppose it was late night. When he called me, I just like, 'What the heck? Who dare to disturb a person's deep slumber by sending nonstop calls in the middle of the night?‘ But then, Jongup said that was already 8 in the morning. Then I realized, the sun already appeared, shining brightly, but its ray couldn't go through my room, since the curtain was still closed. I looked at my clock on the nightstand. It read, 7:58. Jongup called me and we talked for about 15 minutes before I hung up. He nagged at me because I didn't answer the phone immediately, I used my tiredness because of  the long flight yesterday as an excuse, but still he nagged and called me a lazy-ass. He didn't want to buy any of my excuses. He asked me when will I back to school, and few more things. At the end of the call, he gave me a warning if I don't answer his phone again, he won't talk to me anymore.

What a good threat, Jongup.

He said that thing as if he can bear to not having me around. He even called me almost everyday—no, everytime when I first departed to the States. He kept asking me about how was I doing there, am I okay, am I feel lonely there, et cetera, et cetera. He acted like a worrisome mother who afraid to lose her kid. Sometimes it made me question myself, why did Jongup my best friend once again?

  The first day of living in a different place, frequently makes you jet lagged right? And that was what I felt right now, my activities became unordered and almost all I did were didn't match with the times here.

I ended up having brunch because after the disturbance from Jongup, I managed to chase my dreamland again, but thanks to my mom who ruined my peaceful moment by banging my door rapidly, telling me to get my ass off of the bed as soon as possible before she ask dad to smash my door.

Same threat like the old times.

But dumbly I still get affected by that warning. What a fool.

I was about to resume my plan to hibernate but my dad told me to start unpacking the things and help him to wash his dusty car because it was already caged in the garage for what so, a year and a half? Probably.

So I ended up putting my clothes on the cupboard, placing my things on their places, then lastly rested my slateboard on the wall beside my desk. I turned on my laptop in purpose to call Ryan. And gladly he answered the call. There I saw a sleepy Ryan greeted me weakly. I asked him what's wrong and he replied with a simple yet obvious answer,

“Homework.”

He yawned as he showed me the worksheet he was doing. At first I got so clueless but then I remembered that we were already on different timezones. He was still awake in the midnight but here I am lazying around under the hotness of the noon's atmosphere. I still had to check on my table clock almost every 10 minutes to make sure what time it was.

“How's your day?” Ryan asked as he put his elbow on his desk's surface then placed his chin on top of his palm.

“Boring.” I shrugged as my gaze travelled around my room. I could hear Ryan chuckled,

“Really? Of course, because there isn't any 'Me' there right,” He sang while spinning on his chair. I just rolled my eyes at his cockiness.

“Funny Ryan, so funny,”

“I know, thank you.” He flatly said with a grin still plastered on his tired face.

“I'm still having a hard time to figure out what time is it, you know,”

“Jet lagged? Haha good luck buddy,” I scoffed as I thanked him sarcastically. He brightly yet sleepily nodded his head. “No problem,”

“Hey entertain me, the boredom is really suffocating here,” I demanded lazily. Ryan face's contorted to the frowning one as he reached for his work sheet before he hold the paper up on the screen,

“Remember my homework dude, it would be better if you help—”

“Junhong, i'm sure you've done packing your things so better come here quick!” My dad yelled from the front yard, making me realize that he asked me to help him earlier. I gave Ryan a look that I have to go.

“My homework,”

“My dad.”

Sighing in defeat, Ryan finally let Zelo go this time.

“Just remember, next time if you call in the middle of my date with my homework, make sure to voluntarily help me fix these problems up,” He warned me.

Good, I just being warned twice in a day.

“Whatever, I really have to go now, bye.”

He just sleepily nodded before waving his hand.

“Night Zelo, call me again when you're free,” I laughed mockingly at his mistake, he looked at me questioningly before he realize what makes me laugh. “I mean, good afternoon dude.” He corrected while scratching his head. I stuck out my tounge at him,

“Later huh?” I said referring to my next call, ignoring my dad's summon. He responded with a hum, a lopsided smile appeared on my face as I saw him yawned,

“Yeah, later.”

 


[A/N] So sorry for the late update.. School stufffs just killed my free time OTL