ii | The only photo he had

The Tattoo of the Mafia returns

 

“You shouldn’t drink if you can’t drink.”

              Sehun nagged as he placed his sister gently on her bed. “Why are you drinking even though you know you can’t drink,” He sighed, pulling his shirt neatly before sitting down on the bed beside her. “Why are you…— ” He paused, reaching out to flick her fringe out of her beautiful face, “Always making me worried?”

              “Sir, here are the towel and warm water that you wanted.”

              He was staring at her face, until a maid came in with a bowl of warm water and towel inside it, appeared next to him. “Sir?”

              It was then he blinked and stared at the bowl of water before taking it over from her and putting it on the side table, “Ah, thanks.” Sighing, he watched as the maid went out of the room, before putting his hands into the warm water to rinse the towel.

              “You really need to stop drinking and then asking me to carry you home. Do you think you’re light?” He grunted, squeezing the towel to get rid of the excess water. “Shut up bastard, I heard you...” Minjung groaned, putting an arm over her covered eyes. “Pain…” She mumbled.

              He rolled his eyes, he practically had nothing to say; she brought it upon herself.

              “Here,” Sehun whispered, taking her arm away and wiping her face with the warm towel. “You brought this upon yourself, no one ask you to drink anyway.”

              Minjung flicked her eyes open and stared at Sehun, who was instantly stunned at the glare. “Keep your scowling expression away, Sehun.” She pouted.

              No you don’t freaking pout at me, he thought, throwing the towel directly in her face before getting up from the bed.

              “HEY!”

              “I’m going to sleep.” He said aloud, taking light steps out from the room.

              I need to stop this feeling. He thought as he leaned against her closed door, with his hand on his chest where his pounding heart was at. I can’t do this, she’s the king, and… she’s my sister.

 

 

Morning came with the sunlight penetrating through the curtains into the guest room.

              “Hey,” Taemin smiled as he opened his eyes to the sight of Hyehee staring at him. They’ve always been sleeping on the same bed since they were living together in California and then it became a habit for Hyehee to stare at Taemin if she wakes up before him. She likes it especially when he uses his husky voice to greet her morning; it would totally make her day. She smiled.

              “Hey,” She closed her eyes as she snuggled herself into Taemin’s chest, who opened his arms wide to wrap around her tiny frame.

              “Had a nice sleep?” Taemin asked, running his fingers on Hyehee’s arm. “Yup, thanks to you. As long you’re around, it feels like home.”

              “Really? But you fell asleep way before I came in, didn’t you?” He chuckled, closing his eyes as he kissed the top of Hyehee’s head.

              She laughed, opening her eyes as she saw Taemin looking right at her. “What?”

              “Nothing, I just like staring at you.” He answered. “Today is the day, remember?”

              Hyehee’s eyes wandered away, “Yeah, I remembered.”

              Taemin sighed as he pulled Hyehee closer to him (if it wasn’t any closer) for a hug.

              “Let’s go there together.” He whispered.

 

 

“Where’s Key?” Taemin asked as he made his way into the kitchen for a cup of water.

              “Young master went to the office in the morning,” The maid answered as she turned around and grabbed a device off the table. “Oh, and he asked me to pass you this.” 

              “What’s this?” Taemin asked, sipping off water from a cup as he leaned against the counter.

              “He mentioned something about the blue one cannot be given to you so he gave you the black one.”

              “Oh?” Taemin raised one of his brows as he smirked into the cup, making a mental note to tell Key that he loves him later when he sees him.

              “I’m going out,” He said as he left the cup in the basin, “Thanks.” He smiled at her.

             

 

“So this is the car Key oppa gave? Isn’t it the same, just different colours?”

              “Yeah, just different colours, perhaps we will never understand what people working in automobile industry were thinking.” Taemin said.

              The trip was quiet and no one said anything. They were both just enjoying the silence, with the memories resurfacing in their mind as he drove past the familiar streets, the familiar path, to the place where their familiar someone was at.

              Or buried at.

              “We’re here,” Taemin came to a stop as he unbuckled himself before switching off the engine. “Let’s go.”

              Taemin held Hyehee’s hand and intertwined their fingers together, just like how they did when they first came to the cemetery. Both of them smiled at each other before walking in and towards Jinki’s tomb.

              “Looks like someone is before us again,” He said as soon as he spotted a bouquet of flowers on the ground. Hyehee let out a gentle smile, she was glad that someone was concerned about her Jin oppa too.

              Sighing, Taemin let go of Hyehee’s hand as he squatted down in front of the little photo. Hyehee too, as she ran her fingers over the photo of Jinki’s smiling face, and down to the words carved below it.

'A filial son. A valedictorian that inspired many hearts. A brother that will never be forgotten.'

              “It’s still here…” Hyehee whispered, touching on the words when she felt a sense of sadness taking over her. It was a bad memory, seeing her only brother dying before her, because of her.

              Taemin bit the inner of his lip when he recalled the incident. It won’t happen if not for him. It won’t. After all, Jinki took the bullet for him.

              “It’s been five years, hyung.” Taemin said, swallowing the lump in his throat.

              “I guess Jinki won’t want to see his two precious siblings kneeing before his grave and crying, no?”

              Both of them turned around and saw Jiyong walking towards them as he on the packet of drink in his hand. “Happy Jinki anniversary?” Jiyong smiled while biting onto the straw.

              Taemin scoffed, “What the hell?” He laughed.

              “Jiyong oppa,” Hyehee greeted as Jiyong pulled her off the ground, “Wow Jinki, your sister is getting real pretty.” He laughed. 

              “Thanks for coming, Jiyong.” Taemin sighed, “It feels really good knowing that someone else cares for my hyung too.”

              “Of course, other than the anniversary date, I came here almost any other days. He’s my only friend you see.” Jiyong said as he rubbed his thumb against Jinki’s face. “My only friend,” He whispered.

              Hyehee walked over to Taemin’s side and held onto his hand, giving it a light squeeze asking him to say something when it got too quiet.

              Taemin took a look at her before looking at Jiyong again, but before he could speak, Jiyong was looking at him with this look that Taemin can’t comprehend.

              Jiyong blinked, “Siwon’s dead.”

              Taemin’s eyes widened, opening his mouth to say something but nothing came out. He huffed, “It’s not funny.”

              “I’m not laughing,” Jiyong sighed as he straightened his back. “The tomb is just further down there. He was found dead in his home, in California.”

              Taemin’s jaw dropped when he heard the word ‘California’, “Are you ing serious?” He asked. Hyehee stood beside him looking at his expression whenever Jiyong said another word. Every words coming out of Jiyong’s mouth seemed like a blow to him.

              “Yeah, he wanted to find you. He found out you were in California so he went there. He wanted to see you, Taemin. But his time was up before he could find you.”

              Hyehee watched as Taemin’s eyes wandered around, lowering his head as he dropped himself on the dirt ground.

              I haven’t told him I’m his son, he thought, as tears started filling up the rim in his eyes.

              “Tae oppa…” Hyehee bit her bottom lip. “Please, Jiyong oppa, stop saying.”

              Jiyong stared at the crying figure with his cold eyes. “He’s gone, Taemin. He’s gone before you know it.”

 

 

“Are you serious?”

              “Yeah, that’s what Jiyong oppa said.”

              “No I mean, you drove back? Seriously?” Key asked, putting a piece of meat in his mouth.

              Hyehee rolled her eyes as she stared at Key, “Yeah, why, I can’t? That’s not the main issue here if you didn’t notice.”   

               “Yeah, sure,” Key blabbered, “I mean, I’m just surprised Taemin let you drive.”

              “Well it’s not like he’s in a condition to drive.” She sighed, poking her noodles with the chopsticks in her hand.

              “So you mentioned Siwon’s dead? And he died in California while looking for Taemin? Does that actually mean that he knows Taemin was his son?” Key summarized her words as he sipped a mouth of water from the cup. 

              “I guess so?” Hyehee slouched into the seat after putting down the utensils. “I heard him saying that before we leave Seoul, he went to visit him and they had a talk.”

              “What?!” Key almost dropped his fork when he picked it up again. “He actually did that behind our back?”

              “Seriously?? He has the rights to do so,” Hyehee scoffed as she stood up. “I’m taking food to him, see you around.”

 

 

“Tae oppa?”

              Hyehee came in the room with a tray of food in her hands. It reminded her so much of the time when Jinki was dead and she was all screwed up inside and out.

              Taemin was sitting by the window on the floor as he stared at the moon blankly with a photo in his hand. “Tae oppa?” She called again.

              He blinked and looked at Hyehee when she got down before him. “Oh hey,” He smiled, but he looked so tired, at least in Hyehee’s eyes.

              “Here’s dinner,” Hyehee smiled as she took out the bowl of ramen from the tray. “Tae oppa—“

              “Don’t worry about me Hyehee,” Taemin smiled, ruffling Hyehee’s hair before pulling her in for a kiss on her forehead. “I’m fine, don’t worry.”

              Hyehee nodded briefly, giving him an assured smile when she saw the photo in his hand.

              “It’s the photo Key oppa found,” She said, taking the photo and looking at it closely.

              “Yeah, the only photo I have of my parents,” Taemin said, taking the chopsticks and started eating.

              “Your mother was beautiful,” Hyehee mumbled, “Your dad too, they looked so good together.”

              “So what? Couple that looks good together, doesn’t normally end up well, do they?” Taemin smirked, shaking his head at the fact that his existence was the result of couple that doesn’t end up well. The abandoned one, the useless one, the extra one.

              “Then do we look good together?” Hyehee asked out of nowhere, surprising Taemin as he bit off the remains.

              “We do? Don’t we?” He answered, staring at her face.

              “Then will we end up well?” She asked, putting down the photo and looked up at him.

               Both of them gazed at each other, it was supposed to be a romantic scene but it seemed so pathetic. Like two birds that love each other but can’t be together for reasons they don’t even know.

              “I hope so,” Taemin said with a smile, reaching out for her face and touching it ever so softly.

              I love you; he wanted to tell her that. But he can’t.

              I love you too, she wanted to say, but she didn’t.