neverland (2/2)

Neverland

 

neverland

 

"Be back for dinner, okay? And keep safe! We don't want to haul your out of Captain Wu's brig after getting tricked by Chen again. That place is a wasteland."

Chanyeol rolled his eyes at Kyungsoo, grunting in response and lacing his fingers together with a giggling Baekhyun, pulling him out of the tree house. They walked the expanse of the thick branch before Chanyeol his heel, cupping Baekhyun's face and kissing him, nibbling his lower lip. Baekhyun made a sound in his throat, cheeks flushing at the sudden display of affection. Before he could reciprocate the action, however, the taller of the two already pulled away, grinning brightly at him.

"Come on, I'm taking you to see the pirates!" Chanyeol quipped excitedly, and Baekhyun pouted.

"...at least let me kiss you back, you idiot." He mumbled to himself, and Chanyeol didn't fail in hearing him.

He leaned closer to Baekhyun, their faces mere inches apart, and he let himself marvel at the beauty that was Byun Baekhyun. Pretty magenta locks, expressive bright eyes that slanted downwards at the outer corners, a cute nose, thin but plush rosy lips, and flawless milky-white skin. He fought the urge to run his fingers on Baekhyun's cheeks as he was bent on teasing the shorter boy.

"Okay, I'm ready, Baekhyunnie." Chanyeol said softly, and Baekhyun's cheeks blushed deeper.

"F-for what?!"

"Aren't you going to kiss me?" Chanyeol winked suggestively, and the other huffed indignantly.

"And why would I do that?"

"Because, we'll be flying a lot today, and you need all the kisses of flight that you can get if you don't want me carrying you around Neverland like a princess." Chanyeol smirked, causing Baekhyun to look away.

"...fine. Close your eyes!" Baekhyun demanded, and Chanyeol obeyed with a chuckle.

Baekhyun watched as Chanyeol's eyes fluttered close. Taking a deep breath, he cupped the taller boy's face gently, caressing his warm skin and running his thumb on the other boy's lower lip. It was the first time that Baekhyun was the one initiating a kiss, and it made him nervous. He noticed the corners of Chanyeol's lips twitching into an amused smile, and he tapped him smartly on the cheek. Chanyeol nodded in apology, and remained still.

"...Chanyeol?"

"Hm?"

"...I think that I really like you."

Baekhyun let his hands slide down to the back of Chanyeol's neck, pulling him and closing the distance between them. The kiss started out innocently, and soon, Chanyeol took the initiative to move his lips against Baekhyun's. Placing his hands on the shorter boy's hips, he pulled him closer, their bodies touching. Baekhyun was the first one to pull away, trying to catch his breath. He lazily draped his arms around Chanyeol's neck. Chanyeol pressed their foreheads together, and Baekhyun smiled up at him.

"I think that I really like you, too, Baekhyun."

"Hmm...that should allow me to fly all day, right?"

"About that...no." Chanyeol grinned sheepishly, and Baekhyun cocked an eyebrow.

"But we kissed!"

"It's up to me if I give you the ability to fly, but I was kind of distracted when you kissed me, so...I kind of forgot to give you flight and..." Chanyeol looked away, and Baekhyun sighed, suppressing a smile.

"Idiot."

"Oh well, just hold on tight, pretty miss. One ship full of pirates, coming up!" Chanyeol beamed, wrapping his arms around Baekhyun's waist and flying up into the sky in record time, causing the shorter boy to scream.

Back at the house, Kyungsoo shook his head, amused. Jongin looked at him, and he chuckled.

"Chanyeol really likes making Baekhyun scream, doesn't he?" Kyungsoo mused out loud, and Junmyeon and Jongin both choked simultaneously.

"Are you guys okay?" Sehun asked, looking away from his puzzle.

"...Oh my God, you dirty-minded jerks." Kyungsoo groaned, glaring at the two boys.

"Sorry." They both chirped, chuckling.

 

*

 

"Oh, if it isn't Foreverboy and his little not-boyfriend."

Baekhyun smiled shyly at Zitao as they landed on the deck of a fairly empty ship in the middle of the ocean, far from the island. Zitao waved at them as he sat on the plank, swinging his legs back and forth. Chanyeol cocked an eyebrow at him, and Zitao shrugged.

"The Captain refuses to see me. I even offered to give him back the watch, but he shut the door in my face. Can you believe that?!"

"I can, yeah. He's not Captain face for nothing." Chanyeol chuckled, and Zitao frowned.

"What brings you here?"

"I wanted Baekhyun to meet the crew."

"Ah. They're dow-- oh, Lu Han!! Foreverboy's here with his boyfriend." Zitao suddenly waved at someone behind Baekhyun, and the latter turned around to look.

A pretty boy with bubblegum pink hair stared at them with surprise before breaking out into a pretty and friendly smile. Baekhyun instantly liked the boy, so he smiled back, waving his hand.

"Lu Han, will you take him to see the crew? He needs more friends aside from the Lost Idiots, and I'm sure he'll be well liked." Zitao asked, and Lu Han nodded.

"Sure! Come on, then." He grabbed Baekhyun by the hand and pulled him along, ignoring Chanyeol's protests.

"I'll be fine, Yeol." Baekhyun called back, and Zitao nodded.

"See? He'll be fine."

"But--

"We need to talk, Foreverboy." Zitao whispered urgently, and Chanyeol stiffened before he nodded.

 

*

 

"...you...Baixian?"

Baekhyun tilted his head in confusion as a boy with chubby cheeks stared at him in shock. He fidgeted in his seat, looking away and biting his lip. Lu Han came to his rescue by pushing Chubby-Cheeks back onto his seat.

"Xiumin, he's not Baixian, you know that."

"But they look so alike! Was it Foreverboy who brought him here?" A boy with high and sharp but aesthetically-pleasing cheekbones asked, and Lu Han nodded.

"Yep. Where's Duizhang?"

"He's sulking in his cabin." A sleepy-looking boy with deep dimples chided in, and Lu Han frowned.

"What's wrong with him now? No, wait, let me guess. It's Zitao, isn't it?"

"Ding ding ding~." Cheekbones-dude said, and Baekhyun cleared his throat.

"Oh, sorry. I'm Lu Han, the one with the chubby cheeks is Xiumin, the one beside him is Chen. That one's Yixing. Our captain's Yifan, but he's having his moment right now."

Baekhyun nodded, and he smiled gratefully when Xiumin pushed a bowl of soup towards him. He dug in hungrily, and Chen grinned at him.

"You even eat like Baixian!" Chen muttered, and Xiumin nodded in agreement.

"Who eats like Baixian?"

They all turned to the door in the corner that finally opened, and out came striding a guy probably taller than Chanyeol. Thick, angry-looking eyebrows above glaring eyes, perfect nose and a sharp chin, arm tattooed with a scorpion and an air of authority hanging around him, Baekhyun could only stare in surprise.

"And finally, Yifan stops being a little girl." Lu Han mumbled, eyes rolling.

"...I wasn't being a little girl, Lu. Who's this?" Yifan asked, gesturing at Baekhyun.

Nobody answered, and Baekhyun realized then that he never introduced himself. Pushing himself off the seat, Baekhyun scrambled to his feet, slightly embarrassed at his mistake.

"I-I'm Baekhyun! I came here with Chanyeol..." Baekhyun's voice faltered under Yifan's gaze, and he bit his lip in nervousness.

"You look like Baixian and you say you came with Chanyeol?" Kris asked, surprise lacing his words, and Baekhyun nodded.

"...who's Baixian?" Baekhyun finally asks, and Lu Han was the first to look really uncomfortable.

"I suppose you wouldn't know him." Yifan answers rather quickly, and Baekhyun knows there is more to this Baixian topic, but he relents, knowing that he was not in the right place to push.

 

*

 

"He decided to stay, didn't he?"

Chanyeol glanced at Zitao, and he nodded. He floated beside the plank that Zitao was perched on, and they silently watched the mermaids playing under the waves, waving and smiling sweetly up at the two observing males.

"...I thought he'd be like Baixian." Zitao murmured against the wind, and Chanyeol shook his head.

"Baekhyun's different from Baixian. He...he'll remember me. He's staying. He wants to be with me." Chanyeol looked at Zitao from the corner of his eyes, not missing the pained look on the time controller's face.

"...he can't stay here, Chanyeol. I...I saw."

"...what are you talking about?" Chanyeol turned to him, and Zitao sighed.

"I saw him die." Zitao murmured quietly, and Chanyeol frowned.

"I wouldn't let that happen."

"I know...so you die protecting him." Zitao looks at him knowingly, and Chanyeol paled with realization.

"When..."

"In a fortnight." Zitao answers quickly, and Chanyeol takes in a sharp intake of breath.

"But...if I...if I die then--

"Neverland dies, too." Zitao and Chanyeol turns to look back at the deck, and Yifan is standing there, leaning on the railings as he observed the two males.

"Wu..." Zitao starts, and Yifan nods.

"He really looks like Baixian." Yifan muses, and Zitao smiles in agreement.

"You met him?"

"He's eating with the crew."

"...he's a nice boy, isn't he?" Zitao smiles wistfully, and it hurt Chanyeol to hear the tone in their voices that screamed of farewells.

"...he's just like Baixian. Physical aspect, habits and...his destiny, too."

Without a word, Chanyeol soars up into the clouds, leaving Zitao and Yifan alone on the deck. He soars and soars and soars, feeling the wisps of the clouds slapping against his face. He knows what he's supposed to do, but he can't, he can't. Then, he stops, hands dropping down to his sides. With an aching heart, he flits back to the ship, tears threatening to fall out of his eyes.

Neverland comes first.

 

*

 

Baekhyun feels Chanyeol's arm around his waist tighten, and he responds by wrapping his arms around the taller boy's neck securely, nuzzling his face. Chanyeol hums in response, and Baekhyun rests his chin on Chanyeol's shoulder, looking back and watching Yifan's ship shrinking in the distance as he ran his fingers lazily through dark auburn locks.

"Who's Baixian, Chanyeol?" Baekhyun whispered, and he felt Chanyeol tense.

"..."

"Everyone seemed to like him, and they kept saying that I look like him." Baekhyun continues, reaching up his hand and smiling at the feeling of the clouds and the cold night breeze slipping through his fingers.

"...Baixian was our friend."

Baekhyun caught the past tense form, and he let out a soft gasp of surprise. He patted Chanyeol's back.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know."

"It's okay, no need to be sorry...it's okay."

It's not.

 

*

 

A week passed (probably, Baekhyun's not sure because time seemed to stop in Neverland-- and his wristwatch kind of died on him as soon as he set foot on the island, the clock hands forever stuck at 11:27PM). Chanyeol's usually happy demeanour deflated with each day that passed, and Baekhyun was worried, but every time he asked, the taller boy would only brush the topic off with a kiss. As much as Baekhyun liked his kisses, he yearned for an answer, wanting to see his giant's infectious smiles again. He had turned to Kyungsoo but the boy also evaded the question, completely turning the topic one-hundred-and-eighty degrees and suddenly asking about dinner. Junmyeon was no help either (refusing to even open his lips as soon as Baekhyun asked him 'the question'). He didn't even bother with Sehun and Jongin anymore because they just always goofed around with the mermaids, unaware of the predicament of their supposed 'saviour'.

On the tenth day of this weird pattern, Baekhyun finally decided to ask Zitao. Saying a quick goodbye to the Lost Boys (Chanyeol was nowhere in sight-- probably off on one of his 'duties' again, whatever that was), Baekhyun carefully scaled down the tree, landing on the balls of his feet expertly and quickly jogging to the direction of the river. After having a quick conversation with Junmyeon about the creatures on Neverland, Baekhyun had learned that Zitao was someone akin to a half-god, half-merman and controller of time; dwelling in the seas or rivers and doing his job for Neverland.

Weaving through the trees, he soon arrived at the riverbank, and a few more moments of waiting and rock-throwing, Zitao's head soon emerged from under the crystal waves, an annoyed expression on his face that dissipated into a surprised one as soon as he saw Baekhyun.

"Foreverboy's boyfriend! What brings you here?"

"I thought you'd know already since you control time? You know, time travel?" Baekhyun wondered randomly, and Zitao rolled his eyes as he pulled himself out of the river.

"I have a life to live and a pretty face to keep, thank you. Travelling through time is more exhausting than you think."

"Oh. Sorry."

"S'okay. So, why are you here"? Zitao turned to him, and Baekhyun shrugs his shoulders.

"Chanyeol's been acting weird lately."

Baekhyun noticed Zitao's figure stiffen, but he ignored it, pushing on with his concerns and twiddling his fingers.

"He's not telling me anything, but there's this nagging feeling in my head that it's definitely about me? Zitao, maybe you have an idea what's wrong? Even Kyungsoo and Junmyeon are rattled." Baekhyun finishes, and before Zitao could answer, they hear hoots and whoops emanating from somewhere not far from where they were.

Zitao's eyes widen in pure shock and fear, and Baekhyun frowned in confusion.

"What was th--

"ing . This isn't supposed to happen today. This isn't-- where the is Chanyeol?! That idiot!" Zitao hisses harshly under his breath as he springs up to his feet, grabbing Baekhyun by his forearm roughly and dragging him back hurriedly to where Baekhyun had just come from.

"Z-Zitao, what's wrong? That hurts!"

"Shut up and be quiet! Chan-- ing !! This isn't supposed to happen, oh my God." Zitao mutters under his breath, and despite the taller boy's fingers digging into his arm painfully, Baekhyun remained quiet as he sensed the urgency and masked panic in Zitao's voice.

And then, as if on cue, more hoots and whoops, now relatively sounding closer, permeated from somewhere near the river. Zitao dragged Baekhyun farther into the woods, and the latter shrieked when an arrow zoomed past his head, missing him by inches and embedding itself into the bark of a tree. Zitao hoisted Baekhyun onto his back suddenly, running forward and totally unfazed by the failed assassination attempt. Baekhyun was out of his wits, the sound of the arrow slicing the air beside his head still vivid in his memory.

"Wh-what just happened?" Baekhyun whispered, holding on to Zitao tightly.

"ing Indians. This is why I don't give a about them!" Zitao cursed, arriving at a clearing where, surprisingly, the Lost Boys were standing, alert and waiting.

"...what the is happening?" Baekhyun breathed out as Zitao practically shoved him into Kyungsoo's arms.

"Neverland Indians loathe humans. Including you, and Baixian. They're out to get you, and they won't stop." Zitao explained, eyes darting back and forth at the expanse of the grove they had just exited.

"Baixian again. I'm so lost..."

"Zitao, Chanyeol told us that everything was okay until the fortnight. This feels a little too early!" Junmyeon pipes in, and Zitao grunts in annoyance and exasperation.

"That's what I saw, too, okay!? Chanyeol..., his emotions are affecting everything about Neverland. Where the is he?! Take Baekhyun to him!"

"Why are they after me? I don't get it, I didn't do anything wrong!" Baekhyun bit his lip, panicking.

"You still have a hold on your real identity, your human memories, and they worship Neverland, the Indians. They feel that anything remotely human shouldn't taint this land." Jongin explained quickly, already taking a step back to retreat as Zitao tensed, narrowing his eyes at the trees.

"But how did they even know about me? And you guys are human, too...Sehun...?"

"They know everything, and as for us...we've let go of everything. We're part of Neverland now. We...we're the Lost Boys." Kyungsoo answered, and at Zitao's signal, they started running back, leaving Zitao alone on the clearing.

 

*

 

Chanyeol left early that morning.

Four more human days (he kept count by slipping back and forth between Neverland and the human world) and it was the dreaded day. The day that Baekhyun was supposed to die, taking a huge part of Chanyeol with him, possibly everything, or the day that Chanyeol would die protecting the love of his life, with Neverland, along with everything that it held, slipping away along with his last breath. Either of the two will happen...

Unless Baekhyun left Neverland.

Chanyeol, floating above Neverland and trying to collect his thoughts, clapped his hand over his heart, trying to ease the pain. Thinking about Baekhyun possibly leaving, just like Baixian did all those years ago, tore at his insides, at his core. Remembering Baixian was probably a bad move, but he couldn't help it. He wanted to laugh bitterly at the irony and similarity of everything, but he couldn't. He remembered every detail, every painful detail of that eventful day.

Baixian had luckily escaped from the clutches of the Indians, and he hid in the forest until Chanyeol, Kyungsoo and Junmyeon found him. Chanyeol pulled him in a warm embrace, whispering that everything will be okay. Baixian cried, pushing Chanyeol away, and dropped the words that broke Chanyeol.

"I hate Neverland. Take me back. I don't want to be here, I don't want to be with you. Take me back now."

He had been foolish to have taken a liking to Baixian, but it was still love, at some point, albeit being one-sided (he managed to move on, though). That was why he strongly disagreed that Baekhyun was similar with Baixian. Sure, they looked really similar down to the faint mole on his upper lip. Sure, they had similarities when they ate, and the way they smiled, and the fact that they both had pretty hands, but their hearts were what differed the most. Chanyeol felt it, knew it-- Baekhyun loved him, and vice versa. He knew that he wasn't going to leave by choice, and that's what hurt him the most.

But Chanyeol-- he still hoped.

Hoped that Zitao was wrong, but a sharp and quick whistle from below (undoubtedly Jongin's) pulled him back to reality. Swooping down in a hurry, he felt his heart break.

"I'm coming, pretty miss."

 

*

 

Baekhyun sat with bated breath as he hid in a cave with the Lost Boys. The cave was situated on a high mountain, and he could spot the door-like cloud that lead to the human world. Trying to ignore the foreboding feeling in his chest, he stayed quiet, watching as Sehun checked the surroundings while Jongin kept on looking around, looking for something. Junmyeon and Kyungsoo stayed beside Baekhyun.

"...what's happening, Kyungsoo? Where's Chanyeol?" Baekhyun asked quietly, jumping as he heard another Indian hoot (and was that Zitao swearing like a sailor?).

"He'll be here, don't worry."

"...I'm scared. I'm scared." Baekhyun chanted, and Kyungsoo pulled him into a much needed hug.

"...it's happening again, huh?" Junmyeon finally spoke, eyes glistening as he stared at the setting sun, painting everything a melancholic red.

"Junmyeon, don't..." Kyungsoo started, but the other pushed on.

"What's happening again?" Baekhyun asked, and Kyungsoo sighed, looking dejectedly at Junmyeon.

"You've heard of Baixian, right?" Junmyeon started.

Baekhyun nodded.

"...Chanyeol brought him here, just like what happened with you. This happened way back, before Jongin and Sehun joined us. Chanyeol had taken a liking to Baixian, but he was aware-- we were all aware-- that Baixian only saw him as a friend. But Chanyeol hoped, even though it was all one-sided, that maybe friendship would be enough to make Baixian stay.

"But the Indians happened, just like what's happening with you right now, and Baixian got tired and scared out of his wits. He...he hated Neverland, demanded Chanyeol to take him back...and when he did, Baixian lost all memory of us, of him, of everything related to Neverland.

"Chanyeol was broken. But then...he met you, and everything changed. Unlike Baixian, you truly loved him back, and you even decided to stay but...but I guess Neverland's not meant for human beings, after all."

Baekhyun then realized he had been holding his breath, and he exhaled carefully through his nose, egging Junmyeon on to continue. He faintly heard Jongin whistling softly in the background.

"Tao saw the future. Staying in Neverland will kill you, most likely because of the Indians."

"What!?"

"This really wasn't supposed to happen yet, but Chanyeol must be pretty shaken up to the extent that Neverland's balance is getting tipped."

"I...I..."

"Of course, Chanyeoul wouldn't let you die. The future that Tao saw had two possibilities. One is of you dying, and the other is of Chanyeol dying while protecting you." Junmyeon whispers, and Baekhyun felt tears prick his eyes.

"That...I don't want him to die..."

"We know, and this is where the important part comes in. The really, really important part. You see, Chanyeol is like...the essence of Neverland. He's the epitome of Neverland, in a sense. Without him, we'd have no home." Junmyeon cleared his throat, and Baekhyun inhaled.

Jongin then whistled really loudly, and Baekhyun's eyes flitted to the tanned boy. Junmyeon took no time in breaking the truth to Baekhyun as he heard Jongin's call to Chanyeol and Sehun's panicked swearing as he spotted the Indians getting closer, surrounding them and not looking very friendly with their bows and arrows and spears.

"If Chanyeol dies, then so will Neverland."

Baekhyun's breath hitched, heart breaking at the truth because he knew what was going to happen.

And it hurt.

 

*

 

From above, Chanyeol could see the Indians, a whole tribe of them, closing in on his friends. He spotted Jongin waving at him to hurry before engaging a few Indians in hand to hand combat. Sehun was doing the same, as well as Junmyeon. Kyungsoo had a protective hold on a whimpering Baekhyun. Their main goal was to keep the Indians' hands off Baekhyun, and as much as Chanyeol trusted his friends, he could clearly see that they were fighting a losing battle (who wouldn't when it was five boys against a whole tribe of Indians who breathed hunting). Rushing downwards as fast as he could, he easily scooped up Baekhyun into his arms, his heart aching at what he was about to do. Baekhyun held on, shaking like a leaf.

The Indians froze for a moment when they saw Baekhyun up in the air, enclosed in the arms of the boy whom they called 'the son of Neverland'. The Lost Boys stopped as well, holding their breath in sad anticipation at what they knew was coming. Suddenly, out of the blue, an Indian boy raised his bow and arrow, letting the offending pointed and sharpened stick zip through the air towards the flying couple. It took everyone a moment to realize that the arrow had only barely missed its target. With a horrified gasp, Baekhyun noticed the bleeding gash on Chanyeol's cheek where the stick had grazed him. The tears that he had been fighting started pouring down, pale slim fingers shakily reaching up to try and ease the pain on his lover's cheek. The latter winced, and Baekhyun whimpered.

"...this can't go on. You'll get hurt, everyone will get hurt." Chanyeol started, and he heard his words as if they came from far away, hollow and forced.

"Wait, what are you--

"You have to go back."

Another arrow zipped past their heads (and Jongin's angry swearing followed, and then a series of Kyungsoo-exclusive rage episodes-- and were those the sound of rocks being crushed?). That was the last straw for Chanyeol. They couldn't do this. He didn't want Baekhyun to get hurt and die, and he didn't want Neverland and his friends to die, too. With a heavy heart, glistening eyes and a struggling Baekhyun in his arms, he soared up to the door-like cloud up above, the only connection that Neverland and the human world had. Baekhyun's hold on him grew tighter as they neared the cloud, pained whispers and pleads of 'no no no no please don't Chanyeol no I want to stay' murmured against the crook of his neck.

Oh, how Chanyeol wanted to do what Baekhyun wished, but he couldn't. He couldn't put his joy and pleasure before anyone else. He had an unspoken duty to protect Neverland. The cloud seemed to glimmer as they stopped in front of it, and Baekhyun, to say the least, had a vicelike choke hold on the taller boy, afraid of letting go. He shook his head, tears flowing down his pale, bloodstained cheeks (Chanyeol's wound had bled profusely). Chanyeol hushed him gently, gently yanking Baekhyun's arms from his neck and pushing him at arm's length. Baekhyun was a crying mess, and Chanyeol wanted to kiss and hug it all away, to see that pretty eye-smile once more, but he held his ground.

"You have to go back. For everyone's sake." Chanyeol whispered, pained.

"Nonononono, Chanyeol, I can't...I don't..." Baekhyun sobbed, voice begging and it broke Chanyeol to hear him like that.

"Yes, you can. We need to do this. Please."

"No, please, no. Please...I don't want to forget you, and everyone else and-- and-- I love Neverland, please, no, Chanyeol."

"Baek---

"Chanyeol, I love you, you giant prick, can't you see that? Please see that. Please." Baekhyun pulled his hands free from Chanyeol's grasps and cupped the other boy's face, kissing him with need and desperation because deep down, he knew that his pleads and tears won't work.

Chanyeol reciprocated the action for a moment, until he finally pressed his palms against Baekhyun's chest, pushing him gently into the bright chasm inside the cloud. The expression on the shorter boy's face was a mix of surprise, regret, sadness, longing, shock, and defeat. Chanyeol watched him, a sad smile on his face and it's only when Baekhyun's mouth opens, as if in slow motion, that Chanyeol realizes that he himself was crying.

"Stop crying."

The son of Neverland was crying, and Neverland cried along with him, cold drops of rain blanketing the island. Baekhyun only managed to whisper words of comfort to Chanyeol as he fell back down to reality, and he knew he had lost his chance. He didn't even hear Chanyeol say that he loved him back.

Then everything went black.

 

*

 

Baekhyun woke up to panicking voices and slim fingers shaking him awake. Sitting up, he came face to face with Kibum, one of Yoogeun's fathers. He could see past the worried face and blond locks that Jonghyun was on the phone by the doorway, talking in a panicked but composed way. Yoogeun was on the bed, looking rattled and scared.

"Baekhyun, Baekhyun, oh my God, what happened to you? You're so dirty and there's blood on your cheeks!" Kibum fussed, and Baekhyun could only stare blankly in response.

"...uh." He started lamely, and Kibum's fingers brushed his cheeks, his heart swelling at the motherly touch.

"Why are you crying? Are you hurt somewhere? Oh my God what happened, Byunnie, please answer me." Kibum begged, but Baekhyun's only response was to reach up at his own face, touching wet cheeks.

"I-I...I'm crying..." He whispered, and Kibum frowned.

"Is this your blood? Oh God, Jonghyun, hurry up with that freaking ambulance!"

"...hyung, it hurts..." Baekhyun's voice cracks, and a fresh wave of tears come falling without any warning.

"What? What?! Where?!"

"...my heart...it's aching so much, I...I can't breathe and...oh my God, I feel so cold."

I'll keep you warm, I promise.

Baekhyun snapped his head towards the window at what he was certain was a voice, mouth agape and eyes blurred with tears. The sudden action surprised Kibum, and he followed his gaze to the large looming cloud hiding the moon.

"...honey, are you okay?" Kibum asked quietly, patting Baekhyun's hair affectionately.

Baekhyun, looking intently at the cloud with an unexplainable sense of longing and pain, shook his head. He looked down at his clothes that had traces of dirt and leaves. He looked at his wrist watch, the clocks hands forever stuck at 11:27PM, and he sobbed quietly, unsure of why he did so.

"Baekhyunnie, what happened?"

With a heavy heart, he whispered the words that had been bouncing around in his head ever since he regained consciousness.

"...I can't remember."

 

*

 

As per routine through all the years, he sat down in front of the gravestone, long legs folded underneath him. He had placed fresh flowers on the grave, spending a good hour just staring at the words engraved on the stone. It was almost half an hour before midnight, a time he held so dear to his heart because it was when everything started. Placing his fingers on the cold stone, he traced the pretty lettering that, in his heart and mind, did no justice to the name's beholder.

Byun Baekhyun.

He chuckled disapprovingly, slipping off his jacket and taking a deep breath as he fought the tears that he knew were coming. Draping the jacket on top of the gravestone, he fixed it neatly so that the thick fabric would cover as much area as possible. When he was satisfied, he sat back, smiling sadly.

"You're cold again, Baek." He whispered, and the silence of the night answered him.

"It's kind of weird, you know? Before I met you, I took pride in the fact that I was ageless. I get to live forever, something that you humans dreamed of. I don't grow old, and if I'm careful enough, I won't die either."

He stopped to take a breath, pressing his fists onto his eyes to stop the tears that blurred his vision and stopped him from reading the name of his beloved.

"But then I met you, suggesting a silly but genius idea of gluing my shadow to my feet so that it doesn't run away again. Something clicked in me then, not just because you looked like Baixian, but because I knew that you'd be different from him.

And I fell for you, slowly, and you did, too. I love everything about you...your pretty smile, pretty eyes, pretty hands, pretty skin, pretty everything...when I made you go back, as I watched you grow old, I...all I wanted was to be human, too, so I could be with you and age with you...it hurts, getting left behind and forgotten..."

He stood up from his seat, kicking away pebbles that littered the grave.

"I miss you so much, pretty miss."

The wind blew, hard, and he couldn't help but let out a sob.

"I never got to tell you, but...I love you, too, you annoying shorty. I hope you saw that."

The strong cold wind blew the jacket off the gravestone, and he clicked his tongue before running after it, draping it back in its place atop the gravestone. The wind died down, and he knelt down on his knees, pressing a warm palm against the name on the gravestone.

"Don't worry, I promised that I'll keep you warm, didn't I, pretty miss?"

 


 

A/N: OH MY GOD ITS DONE MY WORD VOMIT IS DONE.
If you read up until this point, thank you! I commend you for being able to put up with my random idea. =)) Baixian is Baekhyun's Chinese name, if you didn't know....yup.
And I'm still contemplating on two spinoffs for this regarding two more couples. I don't know, if people like this then I'll probably do it?