Three Minutes; One

Three Minutes

three minutes
PART ONE.

Song: Sing/Calling Out

“He’s a playboy, Sica, if you fall in love with him, he’s going to break your heart into a million pieces and practically kill you. Look, I know you have been through love before and whatsoever, but Jonghyun’s different, okay? He’s not going to make you smile. He’s, in the end, going to make your world fall apart because he doesn’t have a heart. Even Minho’s more sincere than him. Mark my words, Jessica, mark my words. No boy’s going to come up to you, with a glue gun in his hand, and ask if you’re okay and then mend your heart when it’s broken. Sure, there are trillions of sones out there that are men, but they’re just crazy.” Taeyeon advised gravely, when Jonghyun approached Jessica cautiously and carefully.

“I’ve got this. I know everything. I understand, Taeyeon, I get it. He’s a playboy, and I can’t fall for him. Okay, okay, now leave us. With all due respect, leave us so I can settle this, okay? That’s the hugest favour you can do for me now.” Jessica replied, touching Taeyeon’s hand and patting it gently, intense gaze focused on Jonghyun’s.

Jonghyun’s steps were hard against the soft floor of the practice room. It was two in the morning yet both of them were awake, up and running. Taeyeon nudged Jessica a little before turning on her heel and prepared to leave. Jonghyun nodded curtly to Taeyeon, and she nodded back. Jessica’s eyes were all over Jonghyun, because, honestly, even idols would love his body. But she snapped out of it because Taeyeon’s words rung high in her head, over and over, like a broken telephone machine with a message repeating.

For a moment there the pair’s eyes met, and just when the door clicked close, and Taeyeon’s footsteps couldn’t be heard and no shadow was formed outside, Jonghyun cracked a smile. Jessica returned it wordlessly, thinly. She had no intention of letting him gain any of his cocky confidence or hoping up high. Jonghyun’s thoughts ran through his head slowly and smoothly. He knew that she didn’t trust him, from her actions, and even from the way she stood. Now her stance wasn’t anything too formal, but she was decent enough. Her head hung high, but not too high that she seemed proud, just enough to allow her to look at him; her lean and petite body was straight, her thin but strong arms were in two different positions. Her right arm was on her hip, and her elbow hung at a right angle. Her left one hung by her side, but she didn’t let it go limp. Her legs were shoulder-width apart. But her eyes were scanning him up and down, making him shift a little but didn’t ruin his composure.

“So I hear you’ve been up to Japanese promotions lately?” Jonghyun asked. ‘The questions approach, how classic. Oh right, and how boring.’ Jessica thought. “Oh you know, the usual. Busy, tiring, but rewarding.” She replied.

Jonghyun nodded, “Yes, yes, I see. The fans like all your songs so far, huh? Looks like the maknae’s getting a lot of attention these days.”

Jessica knew he was talking about Seohyun getting more lines than even the main singers, and she nodded, again. She had nothing more to say, really, apart from the fact that she had to sleep. Not that she was tired, she wasn’t, but rather her beautiful body needed time to rejuvenate and reenergize. Jonghyun smiled at her again, but she found that she couldn’t return it. Jonghyun decided that it was finally time to confront her of the situation. He had to do it now, or forever have held his peace. He let his tongue swivel round in his mouth for a little bit before he said, “Look, Jessica.” Jessica knew it was coming. She put a hand up, and looked to the side. “Stop, just stop. Because I know what you’re going to do and no, it’s not going to work, so just don’t waste your effort, okay?”

“Give me five minutes. Please, all I need is five minutes.” Negotiating and begging started.

“One minute. That’s all I’m giving you.”

“I can barely breathe in one minute. Four minutes, just four.”

“Two.”

“Four.” Jonghyun’s eyes were pleading her mercy. The ice queen looked him straight in the eyes, smirked and said, “Three minutes.”

Jonghyun’s eyes met hers once more. Both of them had a determined look in their eyes, as if it was a showdown. It was all so dramatic. She glanced at the clock, nodded, and instructed, “Your three minutes start now.”

“Okay. So Jessica, I know you have a really bad impression of me and since Taeyeon told you many stuff about my background and yes, yes I admit that I was a playboy, and I had tons of girlfriends before my actual career in SHINee started, but ever since then I stopped. I haven’t dated anyone for a long time now, because no one caught my attention. But then I found you, Jessica. I found you and the moment you entered my world I couldn’t stop thinking of you, not when I was resting from all the promotions, not when I was given a break, not even, when I was asleep at night. I didn’t, couldn’t dare to call you or text you, just watch you from afar. I don’t know if you know this, Jessica, but you’re like an angel sent from heaven – which might sound cheesy but I really mean it. I don’t want you to be afraid of what I’ve done before. Believe me I don’t want to hurt you, I’m not dangerous, and I can be a good guy. I have been so far. But you don't trust me, and I know. Yet I can, I can establish the trust between us. And if you, please, accept this, let me come closer to you. Because I am absolutely, definitely, positively, unquestionably, no strings attached, beyond any doubt, unconditionally, in love with you.” Jonghyun stopped and breathed. Three minutes was up. He did it exactly on the spot.

Jessica had tears in her eyes. She was shocked beyond belief. Unintentionally, unconsciously, her arms had fallen limp, her eyes, her gaze had dropped to a certain crestfallen expression, and her mind had been blown. She didn’t know Jonghyun loved her this way. She always thought that they had only a flirting partner relationship, but she didn’t know he actually meant it. She thought he was a mere playboy, but she was wrong. She didn’t care what Taeyeon said. She couldn’t deny it, she was hopelessly in love with him too.

“If you believe me now, even after all I said, all I’ve done, I do, love you too.” Jessica smiled, and tears streamed down her cheeks.

Song: Ma Boy

Jessica smiled, a faint remembrance of her previous and first experience with Jonghyun. Taeyeon, after that, scolded her until she had some ten lashes from her, verbally of course. But then the leader realized that Jonghyun was really committed to Jessica and loved her a lot. Following that, SHINee, Super Junior, SNSD and f(x) all knew about it. But Lee Soo Man didn’t know, and they weren’t planning on telling him any soon anyway.

“Penny for your thoughts, sweetie?” Jonghyun’s calming voice appeared from beside her, and he handed her a drink while stuffing a coin back in his pocket. “Nothing much. Besides, it’s a long story that we both know about already.” Jessica replied, shooting him a knowing and grateful look.

“Oh, that. I see. So, how have you been lately? Apart from more Japanese promotions and all. We can’t go out alone, but we can be alone. I bet the Paris fans will spot us. We’re already under their radar.” Jonghyun and Jessica, and the whole of SM Town, were in Paris for their live tour, and both of them were in Jessica’s bedroom. It wasn’t the ideal place, but it was the only place they had their freedom. The whole level was taken by SM idols, so nobody was allowed to access the level unless they had the card.

Jessica explained to him about how tiring the promotions were, and how complicated it was to manage them all at once and still have the time for her secret boyfriend. And of course, they were also planning on having a new album for Japanese songs with all their current ones along with new songs too. The titles haven’t been released to them just yet but they were extremely excited about it. Jonghyun listened intently to everything, with Jessica’s head leaning against his shoulder and him drinking his own drink in one hand. The other was laced between Jessica’s hands. They sat in that position a lot. The rest of the SM Town had gone for an event. The four bands knew, but BoA and TVXQ they had to lie to and say Jessica had cramps while Jonghyun had a splitting headache. They weren’t sorry about it, but they had good acting skills.

“So, what should we do today? We could make some lunch. There’s a great kitchen and I know that we both know that someone here cooks very well. Of course, without… cucumbers. You know, I still don’t get why you crumble at the sight or smell or taste or touch of the cucumber. Come on, they’re harmless!” Jonghyun crossed his arms, watching her eyes widen curiously. “Because… because cucumbers freak me out and you can’t say a thing about it! So don’t even try, don’t even try! Anyway, I want to take a risk today. Could we please just try and go out together? Somewhere quaint. And I know a back route from this hotel and we’ll just get the chauffer to drive a taxi instead of the huge and sleek black limo. That’ll be too obvious.” Jessica tried to convince him; though the many times before she’d been rejected this idea, because he didn’t want to try it. Because of that, she called him a stubborn dinosaur.

“Okay fine. But just this once, and if we don’t catch any attention, we’ll do that again. But if we do –” “We’ll never try it again.” Jessica finished for him, laughing; because sometimes, Jonghyun seemed to pick up some of Key’s nagging. It wasn’t necessarily a bad thing, because Jessica was a really daring and brave girl, sometime she had to be tied back to the ground once in a while to tame the beast in her. Jonghyun picked up Jessica’s bag for her while she went to grab some of their disguises – a turtleneck for Jonghyun over his singlet and glasses and a black wig for Jessica. Over the days they found that sunglasses wasn't enough for Jessica because she was easily recognized by anyone. Jessica returned from her closet and they took the back elevator down. Jonghyun texted the chauffer to get there (the back exit) in five minutes.

Jessica fixed her hair in the mirror while Jonghyun watched her intently. “Jonghyun, why are you looking at me like that?” She asked, continuing to attempt pushing her fringe back to stay in place.

“Because…” He muttered, before pulling a pin out of his pocket, grab her shoulders gently and faced her towards him. He took the fringe, pushed it behind her ear, and pinned it so it stayed.

“Thanks.” Jessica knew that Jonghyun was a caring guy and he did things like that all the time, but she still felt her heart flutter when he did that. She would kill herself rather than lose Jonghyun.

Jonghyun led her out of the elevator as soon as they finished putting on their disguises. Jessica looked different with black hair, very different actually, but Jonghyun would be able to spot her from afar, and Jonghyun hid himself with his turtleneck. No one was at the back exit, apart from the few cleaners and workers, but they were ajusshis and ajummas that really didn’t care much about idols. They looked at each other and nodded before making their way out. The taxi had arrived. The chauffer didn’t know about any relationship, but he didn’t tell anybody about anything so it was fine to speak intimately in front of him.  

“Take us to… somewhere quiet and quaint.” Jonghyun decided and added, “Oh, and make sure nobody’s there. Not a soul.” Jessica smiled and reached to buckle her seatbelt, but Jonghyun reached over and did it for her, and in the process moving over her forehead and kissing it lightly. Jessica did the same for him, but instead she kissed his lips. Their relationship as such that there was a lot of skinship and flirting, but nothing too serious or passionate. They didn’t do much tongue action though Jonghyun would love to. He considered Jessica’s views on it, and she wasn’t too comfortable.

Jonghyun placed his hand over Jessica’s and smiled reassuringly.

“Jonghyun, promise me something. You can’t break it.”

“Alright, say it, dear.” Jonghyun looked at her briefly.

“Promise me that you’ll never change and you’ll love me no matter what. Okay?” She said.

“That’s not a question. And plus, you know the answer. If you do need further clarification – I promise.” Jonghyun squeezed her hand. She looked worried somehow, and that worried Jonghyun. “Don’t worry. If you’re not convinced, you should be after this.” Jonghyun reached and hugged Jessica closely and tightly, his muscular arms wrapping around her slim waist. She leaned onto his shoulder and they stayed there, however tight the seatbelt was pulling at them.

“Are you now?” He asked. “If by am I convinced then yes, yes I am.” “Good, ‘cos I was about to get waist-strangled by the seatbelt.” He moved back and massaged his waist. “Jonghyun!” She called playfully, messing his hair up and laughing.

----------

“I know what we should do! We should watch the sky. It’s so beautiful now, like this, especially in summer.” Jessica admired the sky.

“Aren’t you hungry? Plus, it’s not like we’re in a meadow right now. We’re by some quaint village in the middle of Paris. Or wait no, we’re outside of it.” Jonghyun replied with his question.

“Yeah, I guess I am hungry. Why, you going to make a sandwich appear?” Jessica asked, sarcasm dripping from her voice.

Hurtful! But even better, I’ve got a whole picnic prepared.” Jonghyun snapped his fingers and the chauffer came out with a huge picnic basket and left discreetly. Jessica didn’t even have time to respond!

Jonghyun flapped the top of the basket and lay out the food. He prepared Jessica’s favourite snacks: peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, lemonade, potato salad, cookies (chocolate and pecan nuts), egg rolls and just for the fun of it, some sushi to make it seem oriental. Of course, he didn’t pack too much per dish, just enough to fill both of them.

“You sure know how to up to your girlfriend don’t you?” Jessica smirked. “Yes, yes I do. Now, ahhhhh!” He opened his mouth wide, indicating to Jessica to mimic him too.

“Ahhhhh!” Jonghyun fed her a tiny cookie and laughed at . He found it funny that was so small even though she was a singer. Jessica laughed too, but she didn’t know what he was laughing about.

Jessica proposed an idea that she knew Jonghyun would love. The egg rolls were really long, so she took one and bit one side of it, and motioned for Jonghyun to take the other. He immediately knew what she was hinting at, and he obliged. Though, right before their lips touched, he bit off his end and left the other side hanging from awkwardly.

“Haha!” He yelled, laughing and pointing at her. Jessica’s face turned a dark shade of red, and he knew what she was going to do, so he quickly turned and escaped from her grip. Jessica got up and chased after him. “Kim Jonghyun! Get back here!” She shouted with all her might. She decided that two could play at his game. She crouched down to the ground and held her stomach, feigning pain. “Ow… sto-stomach c-c-c-ramp…”

“Jessica! Don’t be playing with me now…” His voice got less confident as her acting became more serious. He had a frown on his face as he ran towards her, supporting her by her neck. “Jessica, are you okay?” Jessica giggled and let go of her stomach. It finally dawned on Jonghyun that it was a joke, and said, “Grr… Jessica!” He tackled her to the ground (which honestly wasn’t tackling because it was so easy) and trapped her. Her head was between his two strong arms and she couldn’t move. He smiled and moved closer to her, so close that he could feel her breath. He watched her eyes flutter open, and close. He shifted and placed his lips on hers carefully, his heart banging against his chest every time.

When they broke apart, Jessica took a breath and said, “Kim Jonghyun, I love you.” He smiled, and replied, “I love you too, Jung Sooyeon.”

Later

“Thanks Jonghyun. For a great day spent together, thank you very much.” Jessica smiled. “I have to return to my group mates now, I’ll see you in the morning, okay?”
“Arasso. I’ll see you around.” Jonghyun hugged her and kissed the top of her head softly. “I love you.” He whispered before leaving.

Jessica saw his back fade into the corridor and mouthed I love you too, and shut the door.

It wasn’t very early, about eleven already, and the members were sleeping by then. She tiptoed into her room – everyone had their own since it was hotel. Jessica cleaned up quickly and changed into a nightgown. Putting her clothes in the laundry basket, she headed off to her bed and plugged in her iPod. Something buzzed.

-// Hey baby, you awake? Get a good night’s sleep and I’ll see you in the morning okay? xoxo, Jonghyun. PS: I love you! //-

Jessica smiled – she’d reply in the morning – and tried to catch some sleep.

End of Part One

Likey-likey so far? Heh heh. Angst part is coming up soon. Not trying to dampen your spirits, but get ready a tissue, ya might need it. Comment and subscribe please?
Oh, and one more thing! In the next part, Jessica will find comfort with someone, and I have three people in mind:
Onew, Minho or Donghae. Pick one and comment^^