Say Something

It Was Snowing

Min Ki's POV

I hated all the seasons in the world except one. Spring was bipolar, Summer too hot, and Autumn was depressing. Winter was the best, because of all the snow. It covered the world with white.

To me it felt like this dreadful earth was being reborn. I believed that when the fresh flakes covered the land it made it Holy and beautiful. There was one downfall; everything was frozen in time and cold. 

I could relate. My fond affections for the snow led me to have a wintry disposition. Still people came and tried to relate to me, love me, and attempt to thaw my numb self.

No one's endeavors worked, but they still doted on me. Always speaking of me in such a tender way and hoping someone would come along and melt me. The people at the hospital acted as though I was sort of princess who needed to me saved.

Everything about me screamed Winter. Not even my outer appearance hid that I was icy. My skin was a shimmering ghost white. My wavy hair that stopped at the end of my back was ivory. The patient gown I wore was covered me like snow. 

The only things that weren't pale about me were my irises which were a blood red. Or my pupil's which were black, but that was a given.

I didn't like staying at the hospital. I felt like a caged animal having to stay in my room everyday. The only good things were that the room was colorless so that it reminded me of snow and that during the Winter months I could go to the park.

In fact today was the first day that I would be going outside this year. I'm so excited that I dressed and got in the wheelchair myself. It wasn't a long wait until Mrs. Kim came in and rolled me out.

"Sorry I'm late, dear." She said. "No problem." I spoke practically bouncing in the seat.

I inhaled deeply when we made it outside. The cold air made my body tingle and heart race, adrenaline was pumping through my veins. As the delicate flakes kept falling from the Heavens my excitement increased.

I wanted to get out of my wheelchair and just dance around already, but I couldn't we hadn't reached our destination yet and I had to conserve my energy. The pace was slow and exasperated me, but I sat still and enjoyed the scenery.

"It's so nice isn't it dear?" Mrs. Kim started. "Yes, I just want to run it!" I cheered. "Not till we get to the park." She warned playfully. "Yes ma'am" I responded. 

As I kept watching everything being covered in white I became lost in my own world. Is this what the afterlife will be like? If so it would be great! I smiled and before I knew it we were already there.

Alright my impatient child now you can go off and play." She said and I didn't have to be told twice before I got up and dashed through the falling beauty. I twirled around in the cold for several moments and then dropped to the ground making snow angels.

Then I started to roll around laughing childishly as snow got all over me. I stood back up and ran all around. There were no children here today probably because the weather was too freezing to be out, but that didn't stop me.

Even if someone was here I didn't notice them, because I was busy having fun. Until I saw something in my peripheral vision. I tried to ignore it, but it stood out so much against the colorless scene. There was a black mass sitting on the pure white bench and it annoyed me.

So I just peaked at it and found that the bundle was a person. They must have been sleeping, because their head was done. I ignored them as I continued having fun and began building a snowman. Every now and then I looked back seeing the unnatural blend of colors.

This person upset me. I know that everyone could wear what they wanted, but how could anyone wear such depressing things in such a bright day. Maybe what bothered me was the fact that this person didn't move an inch every time I would check up on him.

By the time Mrs. Kim called me to go back I had made a whole village of the innocent snowmen. When I looked back at the person they still stayed the same. I knew that it wasn't any of my business, but I was curious.

Before we left I went up to him and found that he was asleep. I sighed in relief I thought something bad happened. I shook him, but was immediately surprised when his skin was colder than mine and I was out here for practically five hours.

"Hey mister?" I asked, but he didn't budge. I squatted down and saw that his skin was almost blue. I started freaking out and called Mrs. Kim over. She checked him and found that he still had a pulse even though it was faint.

"We have to get him to the hospital." I said and she gave me a look. "Will you be alright walking all then way back?" She questioned.

"Yes." I spoke, but I wasn't sure myself. "We can't just leave him here and if the worse happens then you can leave me and come back for me later." I said smiling. Now I was determined this man needed help and I wasn't going to leave him here.

So we managed to pick him up and place him on the wheelchair. Then we started back slowly. It was hard for me to keep up, but I tried my best. Halfway through my legs began shaking terribly and I had to hold on to something to keep moving at all.

When we were almost there my legs decided to collapse and I couldn't move them whatsoever. Mrs. Kim was worried about me, but I told her to keep going. "Don't worry I can get around whenever I find the energy, plus you can come back for me." I said trying to calm her frightened self down.

She wouldn't have it and picked me up and carried me the rest of the way. When we got there I was given another wheelchair to sit in and taken to my room while they took the stranger away to be warmed up. 

Mrs. Kim took a break and I felt bad for making her carry me. "I'm sorry." I said as she sat down beside my bed. "Oh dear no need to fell bad you were so brave and strong. You almost made it here by yourself!" She spoke with gusto as she dug into her lunch and I slowly started nibbling at mine.

My thoughts drifted back to that person. I wonder how he was faring. Hopefully he would be fine. A doctor came in half an hour later for my daily medicine. I had to be put under, but that man didn't leave my mind. 

About an hour later I woke up, but was rather woozy. The doctor was there so I asked him. "Thank you for saving him." He said. "Apparently he had been there for two days now. He wouldn't have mad it if not for you." 

"His name is Kris Wu by the way." He informed me before he left. 

...

This Kris Wu character was out cold for thee days now and in that time I still went to the park and played in the snow. I was worried that he wouldn't wake up, but the medical staff all said that he would be alright and all I had to do now was wait.

Still I had questions for him like how could he wear such sad clothing in such beautiful weather? And I mean I loved to play outside in the Winter like anyone else, but why was he here for such a long time?

Was he in trouble? I hope not and even if he was then maybe I could help. He could always stay at the hospital. It was quite troublesome as my mind was filled more and more with that man and each day I would go back earlier to check up on him.

It would all be in vain until the fourth day he finally opened his eyes. "How are you?" I asked by his bedside as soon as I figured he could see me. He gave a muffled answer as he tried to sit up and ruffled his hair as he looked around.

"You're in safe hands now so please relax." I told him and he laid back down and fell asleep. I had to take my medicine so I left him. When I was done I went back to his room and saw that he was eating so I ate next to him. 

When we finished he spoke to me for the first time. "Why are you in that wheelchair?" He questioned. "I can walk, but not so much. I lose my energy quickly and so I have to be in this for most of the day." I explained and he nodded.

"What about you?" I questioned. "Why were you out in the snow?" "B-because I was...." He sighed. "I don't want to talk about it." "Alright." I said smiling. "But I was worried you almost died you know?"

"Maybe I wanted to die." He whispered, but I heard it. "What?" I practically leaped up off of my seat and smacked him. "How could you say that!" I yelled as he rubbed at his bruise. "You shouldn't want to do something so bad in such beautiful weather!"

"What do you know!" He snapped back and I jumped in shock and settled down. Looking down I apologized. "I'm sorry." "It's alright." His gaze was looking at his lap. "My...my boyfriend broke up with m-me." He whispered, but I heard.

Immediately tears started to spill from his eyes. "I love him so much!" His raspy voice managed to get out as he wiped at his face. "I proposed to him but he rejected me. Before he left he said that we shouldn't be together anymore. What am I going to do now? We've been together for ten years!"

"I'm sorry." I responded as I pet his back comfortingly. When his tears increased I hugged him and just held him in my arms until he stopped.

In the week that we got to spend together we found out more about each other. I was happy to be with him. I was disappointed a little that I couldn't go outside and play in the snow, but he was still recovering.

When the week was over he was finally able to go outside and I was happy. He pushed me in my wheelchair and we both got to enjoy the falling, fragile snow. 

"Why do you like it so much?" He questioned and I immediately knew what he meant. "I don't know, because I feel at home when Winter is here." I said dazedly. 

"I was thinking of leaving soon why don't you leave too?" He continued speaking after receiving my answer. "I don't have anywhere to go to. My parents abandoned me here when they learned that I was sick and that there was no cure." I spoke.

"I'm sorry." He said and for a while he said nothing more. The silence wasn't awkward or anything well at least not for me. I kept enjoying the scenery as he rolled me to the park. 

When we got there we began playing in the snow. I liked him as company, because he actually interacted with me. The hospital staff wouldn't ever do this with me. Not, because they were mean and didn't want to, but because they couldn't. 

They said that I was too fragile and didn't want to break me or didn't want to get too attached and have their heart broken when I died.

We spent all our time with each other for two weeks and in those moments my feelings grew for him. I was sad when he checked out of the hospital. "I'll come here every day I promise." He told me on his last day.

"I just can't stay here anymore there are more people who need help and I'm just taking up space." He explained. He didn't lie, because he kept coming in after that. We would spend time with each other and did the same things and we kept learning new things about the other.

Christmas was approaching fast and I wanted to get him something for the holiday for being with me, but didn't know what. I asked Mrs. Kim about it and she gave me a great suggestion. That we make him a quilt so he can wear it when he goes outside and doesn't get cold like last time.