The Girl Who No Longer Dances

The Dream Thief

Minho held onto the girl tightly, knowing that she's trying very hard now to break down in front of him. The least he could do was to give Bora comfort. He couldn't do much about the other eight girls though, all mourning for the death of their member. It hard to imagine how much fun he and Bora were having just now. It all felt so surreal, like a very bad dream.

He didn't like it one bit.

 

"What's the cause this time?" He asked the officer. He could feel Bora tightening her grip around his arms, making the fabric of his sleeve press tightly onto his skin. She wasn't looking at him or the police officer, and was staring at the floor, probably at the dry brown patch beside them, sealed of by crime scene tape.

"Strangulation. There were rope burns on her neck. Probably before he did that inhumane thing to her." The officer grunted. Minho could sense the tension in his voice. Probably a Girls Generation fan, he thought. "I guess it's better for her that way, or it would have been an even more slow and painful death."

Death; how he hated that word now. He hated how it rings badly in his ears, sending chills down the back of his spine. It made it worse by hearing it so often. "Anything else unusual?"

"The dress that she's wearing wasn't what she had worn out with the girls, and there are bruises all over her, definitely showing signs of a struggle." He placed one hand on Minho's shoulder and looked at Bora, whose chestnut brown hair partially covered her face, hiding her eyes from view. "I think that you should drop the case and leave it to the professionals."

"Why..." Minho stiffened at Bora's tone. It was soft, but surprisingly dangerous.

The officer cleared his throat, quite astounded by her tone as well. "The only lead we have right now is that this crazy psychopath is aiming female idols. This case is becoming a lot more risky than it seems. I suggest that you guys leave this case to us..." He paused as he saw Bora lifting up her head, pushing back her hair with her hand.

Fresh, silent tears were streaming down her face.

"I'm not going to stop..." She spoke, her voice still dangerously soft. "Until that guy's behind bars." Minho finally understood her tone. She wasn't angry; she was determined. The officer, who couldn't find a good response, just shrugged. He walked away, leaving the idols alone. It wasn't his business to care anyway. Minho looked worryingly at Bora. "I'm fine." Bora sighed, reading his thoughts. She let go of his arm and walked towards the woman, wiping the tears from her eyes with her fingers.

 

The members all stood around Hyoyeon, like the seven little dwarves around Snow White, whom then was encased in a glass coffin after she ate the apple. People like Sunny and Tiffany were already bawling away in their member arms, while people like Jessica and Taeyeon tried to look strong, but the shine in their eyes said it all. Bora took hold off Hyoyeon's cold and limb hand and squeezed it, the rubber of her latex gloves being the only barrier separating their flesh. Looking at Hyoyeon's still face, her tears continued to gush out as her memories slowly came back to her...

 

"My gosh! You were so good back there." Bora complimented her sunbae, giving her a nudge on the shoulder.

"Don't say that! Your dance was a lot better." Hyoyeon sat on one of the chairs in the corridor. Bora proceeded to do the same. "I had only won because Girls Generation has a bigger fan base."

"That's not true! Your choreography was much more complex and eye-catching. I could tell you put a tremendous amount of energy into it." She gave a big grin. "Like a true dancer."

"I still feel that you did better though." Hyoyeon pouted a though for a while, puffing up her cheeks cutely in the process. "Ya Bora?"

"Yes?"

"We should have an ultimate dance contest, unlike the one we did just now." Hyoyeon eyes flashed with excitement, as her grip on the bright yellowish metal increase. "Let's get voted upon fair and square."

"Sounds like a good idea, unnie." Bora looked at her phone and sighed. "I'll have to get going. We have a schedule at another broadcast station."

"Hey! Let's pinky promise first!"

"Pinky promise? What for?"

"So that you'll really do it with me." Hyoyeon hold out her little pinky. "Pinky promise?"

Bora found it a little childish to be doing it, but she still held out her pinky despite herself. "Pinky promise." They crossed their fingers and touch each other with their thumbs.

"Be prepared, unnie. I'm going to win."

 

"I'm sorry," she choked out, holding on to Hyoyeon even more tightly.

"I'm sorry that I didn't keep my promise."

 


 

Minho walked silently around, careful to avoid the cobwebs situated above him. Sometimes, being tall isn't a good thing. He wondered if it was okay leaving Bora by herself with her late friend, but then again there were officers and the girls to take care of her, so he presumed that she would be okay.

He sighed as he entered another door. The room was like any other, filled with covered furniture and a layer of dust. Minho coughed a little as a few particles entered his windpipe and mouth. He found it weird that the people who lived there didn't clear out their things, yet there wasn't a single family portrait lying around the place. Maybe they took it, since they might not like anyone from knowing that they had lived here before, but still... He opened a cabinet door, coughing again as the dust danced around him. Shouldn't they have taken their clothes with them too?

Puzzled, he decided to close the door and look somewhere else, since he couldn't do anything. As he closed the creaking door, he heard something fell from within the cabinet. He opened it up again to find a piece of wood at the bottom. Picking it up and looking closely, it wasn't just a piece of wood.

It was a picture frame.

And there was a picture inside.

Minho rubbed the dust off the glass cover, trying to suppress his overflowing excitement and curiosity. What he found was what the man had been searching for. The last picture that he needed to find to remove the big traces of his miserable life. The man had hoped that nobody would be able to find it, since he couldn't find it himself.

Well, he was wrong.

Dead wrong.

As a family of four smiled back at Minho.

 

================================

Hi guys! Sorry for not updating for a long time! And sorry for the pretty short chapter! Please forgive me! :( I had a lot to juggle, from my exams to my school work, along with the other 3 fanfics that I have. I hope that you do enjoy this chapter, though. That would make me feel a lot happier. :)

Now that my exams and school are over, I  should be able to update more regularly. I can't guarantee that I can do it any faster, since there's a mountain of homework that I'll have to do before school reopens. But I will do my best to manage everything, so wait for me! Thanks! :D