005.

Runaway

0n5.

 

 

“I’m running a little late,” Bomi said into the phone breathlessly as she hurried over towards where she had parked her Hyundai. Juggling the phone onto her other ear, she glanced down on her wristwatch and continued, “Give me about ten more minutes?” After Jiyoung agreed, she smiled and uttered a quick thanks before ending the call.

 

Her heels made loud clicking sounds as she trudged across the empty parking lot, oblivious to her surroundings as she fished around her tote for her car keys. It merely took her about five seconds long – but that was more than enough to endanger her life.

 

Bomi looked up in time, at the sound of loud screeching tires, to see a white run-down car heading towards her at incredible speed.

 

It happened within a matter of seconds for a stunned Bomi who went momentarily numb. She stood there rigid as the car came closer towards her – with no obvious intention of stopping or such.

 

Then, as though it was predestined, just like from a movie scene – a long, lean arm swooped in from behind and yanked her out of harm’s way in the nick of time.

 

The two of them fell to the ground with a loud thud, with the saviour’s body sustaining her from any injuries. He watched as the car drove away without much of a hesitance, while Bomi was left in dazed as to what had just taken place.

 

“Are you okay?” he asked, as he moved carefully, trying to help her to her feet while at the same time, enduring the pain to his own chest. Yixing doesn’t have any history of asthma, unlike his sister; but once in awhile he does have difficulty breathing too – especially after doing something rigorous.

 

She didn’t answer.

 

“Bomi?” he shook her slightly, turning her around to face him. “Bomi, are you okay? Answer – “

 

She didn’t, but instead her eyes shut closed and she fell limply against him.

 

“Bomi!”

 

 

; ;

 

 

“I am fine,” Bomi insisted for the fifth time that afternoon. She massaged the side of her head while her other hand was holding onto Yixing for support. It was slightly embarrassing, but he was the one who pressed her to do so. To her right, Jiyoung kept hovering every few minutes or so, afraid she might have another relapse.

 

After she lost consciousness, Yixing had brought her to a nearby clinic for a check-up. While she was being treated inside the doctor’s room, Jiyoung had tried to reach her when she failed to show up at their agreed place. As soon as she received the news from Yixing, her friend had rushed down to the named clinic in concern.

 

“You should go home straight away and rest. I mean it, Yoon Bomi.”

 

The victim of the situation groaned in protest. “But I told you – “

 

“Or should I call Doo Joon and let him know about how you were nearly knocked over by a car and fainted as a result?” Jiyoung threatened.

 

“No. He has enough on his mind right now. I don’t want to trouble him with more unnecessary problems. But what was it you wanted to tell me when you called me for breakfast?”

 

Jiyoung bit her bottom lip. She knows that she should tell Bomi the truth about Nicole’s vague text message and also how her house had been broken into – but right there and then, Bomi’s health was more important. She didn’t want to risk it further.

 

“It’s nothing. I was just thinking of asking you to come along with me. I think I want to pay Nicole’s psychiatrist a visit.”

 

Bomi frowned. Just as she was about to answer, Yixing beat her to it. “Did something happen? Did Dr Jang call you?”

 

Jiyoung shook her head. “No. But I figured, if Nicole was having problem of any sort, she would’ve confided in him? Either way, it wouldn’t hurt to ask. Would you like to come along?”

 

“I’d love to, but I think I’ll send this one home first,” Yixing replied, smiling slightly at the girl in his arm. Bomi snorted. “I’ll call you later.”

 

“Sure. Maybe I’ll call Yoseob and see if he wants to tag along. And thanks, Yixing.”

 

“No problem. Shall we get going now, Ms Yoon?” The grin he had on was full of mischief and Jiyoung couldn’t help but to laugh. The only one who wasn’t amused, was the patient herself.

 

“You better call me,” she reminded Jiyoung, just before Yixing led her back towards his car.

 

 

 

 

Yoseob met up with her about half an hour later, at the entrance of the counselling centre. Jiyoung smiled as she watched him run up the stairs, hair flopping with every bounce. Personally, she preferred him like this. Just a normal boy; not a son of some big CEO, not the heir to one of the biggest trading company in Seoul, and definitely not the elder step-brother to her boyfriend.

 

At the very last second, when their eyes met for a brief moment, she was the first to look away.

 

“Sorry I’m late,” he apologised, catching his breath. “How is Bomi, by the way?”

 

“She’s fine, just slightly shaken still. Yixing took her home to rest. Did I pull you away from something important?” asked Jiyoung as the two of them fell in step and walked in the centre together.

 

Yoseob rolled up the sleeves of his blouse. “No, don’t worry,” with a smile, he shook his head. “I couldn’t stand a second longer at the company anyway. Everywhere I go, people would talk. You know how big the situation is right now.”

 

“Yeah…” Jiyoung agreed quietly. “I hope we can get some answers here. Dr Jang is the next closest person Nicole has, other than Doo Joon and myself. Maybe he can tell us something we are missing.”

 

“Let’s hope so.”

 

 

 

 

“She is missing?” the young psychiatrist asked in disbelief. With Jiyoung’s distressed face and nod as confirmation, Jang Hyunseung could only fear the worst.

 

“When was the last time you saw her?”

 

“The morning of the wedding day,” she told him. “Nicole was really happy and excited. I left her for awhile, you know…for some space to herself. When I came back about an hour later to check on her, the room was empty.”

 

“And you said she texted you?”

 

“Yesterday night.” Jiyoung glanced at Yoseob, who was discreetly telling her to keep the information as minimal as possible. She understood. At this point of time, they still weren’t sure who they could trust. “She said she’s fine and not to worry. She also apologised to everyone involved.”

 

Hyunseung leaned back in his seat. “Does her fiancé know about this?”

 

“Not yet. I haven’t got the chance to talk to him. Dr Jang, the reason I came here is that I was wondering…if Nicole ever came to talk to you after her sessions. I know you cleared her few months before the wedding – but did she ever come back here? Told you if anything was bothering her?”

 

He thought about it for a moment.

 

“She did drop by about two months after that. Brought us fruits and gifts as a sign of gratitude. And personally reminded me and Dr Han, a close friend of mine and also someone Nicole’s familiar with, to attend the wedding. We told her we would.”

 

“I didn’t see you though?”

 

Hyunseung laughed awkwardly. “Yeah. I’ve been meaning to give her a call and apologise for our absence. Both Dr Han and I were held back by work and we couldn’t make it.”

 

Jiyoung was about to say something, when there was a sudden knock on the door.

 

“Excuse me,” Hyunseung told his guests. “Come in.”

 

The door was pushed open, revealing a fairly young doctor with a folder in his hand, smiling apologetically at the two of them.

 

“Sorry for disturbing. But Dr Jang, you’re needed at room #101. Patient specifically asked for you. And it sounds urgent.”

 

Hyunseung pushed himself off the chair. “I guess, duty calls then. I’m sorry, Jiyoung. I wish there was something I could help with. Tell you what – I’ll go over Nicole’s case files again and see if there was something I missed. I’ll call you if anything comes up.”

 

“Hoya,” he gestured towards the other doctor. “Would you mind escorting our guests out? Jiyoung, Yoseob – this is Dr Lee, one of our new counsellors here. I don’t think you guys have met before, since he wasn’t here yet back then.”

 

Yoseob stood up and shook his hand. Jiyoung simply smiled as a sign of acknowledgment, but in the back of her mind, she was trying to recall something. It seems as though she has met this person before, but she can’t remember where and when.

 

“Are you here for a session?” Hoya asked.

 

“Oh no,” Jiyoung answered. “We just had a few questions for Dr Jang. And it’s okay, I think we can find our own way. Thank you anyway, doc,” she turned towards Hyunseung. “And please do call me if there’s anything at all.”

 

“Will do. Take care, Jiyoung.”

 

 

 

 

“I hate to say this – but I think we have another problem.”

 

“What is – oh,” her expression faltered when she realised what Yoseob was talking about. The entrance of the centre was cramped with reporters and cameramen, no doubt waiting for an explanation from the two of them.

 

“I’m sorry, someone from the office must’ve tipped them about my whereabouts,” said Yoseob regretfully. “Listen, I know you didn’t sign up for this – “

 

Jiyoung laughed nervously. “I’m not the one engaged to a son of a politician – so yeah, I certainly didn’t sign up for this.”

 

“Jiyoung, look at me.” Yoseob placed both hands on her shoulders and stared directly into her eyes. “I’ve got this, okay? I just want you to mentally prepare yourself, because they might say things that are going to upset you – “

 

“Like what?”

 

“Things, just to agitate you so you would give them something to write about. But trust me, you wouldn’t want to do that. So just hold my hand and ignore everything and everyone else, okay? Let me handle this.”

 

The swarm of reporters was starting to overwhelm her. Every single one of them looked desperate and very much thirsty for information. They looked as if they’re willing to do anything just to get what they want. They also knew she was related to Nicole, how close the two of them are – but she didn’t sign up for this. This wasn’t what she wanted.

 

Her fear and anxiousness must’ve been written all over her face because she felt Yoseob’s warm hands touching both of her cheeks, forcing her to keep her eyes on him.

 

“Jiyoung, look at me. Not them, me,” he said firmly. “Do not let go of my hand, okay. Let me handle this.”

 

“Okay,” she nodded, taking in a deep breath. Quickly, her hand found his and she gripped on to it tightly. “Okay, let’s go.”