Returning home with...

Modern Fairytale

 

Miyun

 

“Uh-oh...”

 

The wheels of my trolley luggage screeched to a stop while I made a 180 degrees turn.

 

That must be the worst fall in Kim Haneul’s history yet.

 

I jogged over to Haneul who has toppled herself over her luggage (her luggage had fallen all over the place and she toppled herself over on it, epic.) and grabbed her up. “Bad fall, eh?” I asked as she smiled sheepishly in return. That klutz, she’s been so used to falling she doesn’t scream nor kick up a fuss over it anymore. (Oh and the episode where I fell, that was a rare occasion that’s why I freaked out. I am usually a calm and composed person. Ahem.)

 

“I’m okay!” She dusts herself and picks up her luggage. That was one great way to be welcomed home, yes; we’re now back in Korea. Home sweet home... not exactly. We are first headed towards Seoul Boys School for a briefing then be allowed home. Why Seoul Boys School? Well, because it’s voluminous in size, being one of the most prestigious schools in Korea and thus, it can contain all 300 of us students for the Love Experience Course (LEC), no problem. And have you seen their uniform yet? That’s like what royalties would wear to school. On that thought, our school queenka Na Eun would fit in that concept perfectly.

 

“Come on girls. We’ve no time to lose.” SookJoo signalled us to get going as the bus would be arriving soon. We scurried after her with our heavy baggage and headed towards the bus terminal. Seriously, we should have headed home and placed our luggage first. Oh Mrs Park that evil witch...

 

××× 

 

“You students are to behave yourself now that you are putting up at someone else’s house, you don’t act as you wish. Also, girls and guys you are mature enough to distinct yourselves, strictly no hanky panky at home at night...”

 

Lastly, whoever seizes this as an opportunity to go partying outside and not return to your partner's home in the three months, disciplinary actions will be taken. This is your final year project, no monkey business. For the other rules and information, refer to your journals. Have I made myself clear?!”

 

 

And that’s a force to be reckoned with. Mrs Park can get really intimidating at times, bet those students with sneakily planning for rebellion would probably postpone it for now. This is how our LEC is kicking start, lodging in with your partner at their homes for a whole three months and make a switch over for the next three, school will still be as per usual. Purpose: Experiencing life after marriage. Oh, right.

 

I bade Haneul goodbye and searched around for Kwangmin who will be heading home with me today. Interestingly, we are the only, “couple” they call it, that would be bunking in at the girl’s place first. All of the other pairs are moving into their male counterpart’s home; just imagine how excited Haneul is. But it’s a good thing that it is arranged this way; living with both the twins and Youngmin’s partner in one house would simply be out of the world.

 

 

“Hey Miyun, how are we getting to home?” I felt a soft pat on my shoulder. “My chauffer is here and we can hitch a ride with my brother, if you don’t mind.” Kwangmin popped out of no where and suggested.

“Oh, I was actually of thinking of taking the bus home...”

I mean, that's the only way to get home. I'm not that well-to-do to have chauffers to drive me around. Not to mention that my family doesn't even have a car...

“But that’s gonna be troublesome with all the luggage we’re having. Come on, my brother offered anyway.” Kwangmin continues to persuade me.

 

“Huh? Your brother?!

 

Jo Youngmin offered a ride, is that what you’re saying? That devil guy? Oh, I doubt things are going to be simple...

 

“Okay... We’re sooooooooo taking the bus!” I declared having given thoughts to it. “Let’s go let’s go!” I forcefully tugged Kwangmin as he pitifully tags along. I know very well that the bus is going to be packed at this hour and these bags are going to be really a chore but who cares! Jo Youngmin, you’re not gonna get me this time!

 

××× 

 

“We’re here...”

 

I huffed and puffed as we finally reached home. Where I live... it isn’t exactly accessible having to walk a few blocks uphill from the bus stop. I looked back to find poor Kwangmin still trying to catch his breath, his face already washed-out from scaling those “mountains” being a prince he is who only travelled in cars. It was kinda my fault because he is after all the innocent party getting involved between me and that banana...

 

“Are you okay?” I asked him who was still panting by the stairway. I suggested taking the stairs since I lived on the second level, which isn’t exactly a smart move, heh. “Yeah. I’m fine. Go ahead and knock on the door.” He speedily picks up his luggage and came over. I gave hard knocks on the door, feeling rather excited. Dad’s gonna be home today right?

 

“WELCOME HOME HONEY PIES!”

 

The door sprung open animatedly and “beee-eeeppp” went the pesky party blowers. I gawked at the three silly-looking family members of mine in party hats and lame party accessories, even the self-proclaimed mature Mi Rae got his on. Is this a joke?! Seriously, they have got to be kidding me... I later channelled my vision to Kwangmin beside me with his mouth wide ajar in bewilderment. I have the ominous feeling....