Loving You

What's it Like?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What’s it like?” I asked softly.

“What?” He asked back and chuckled at my question that he had heard once too many times.

“The sky.” I pointed in front of me.

He laughed again. I couldn’t help but smile at the sound. I’ve always enjoyed hearing his laugh. It made me feel so light and happy inside despite it being a raspy and deep sound. “You asked that yesterday and it’s the same.”

“Yong Guk,” I whined. I wanted him to explain it, to help me understand what he saw.

“Alright, alright.” He grabbed my hand and sighed. “It’s the same clear blue skies, no clouds in sight that would cover up the sun.” I felt his rough hands, hands that hard work had worn down over the years but I felt comfortable having my hands in his and allowed his thumb to rub across my knuckles repeatedly. It provided a sense of comfort and protectiveness for me and I would prefer them over soft hands any day.

I took a deep breath, breathing in the fresh air, “The sun is so warm.” I sat there feeling it upon my skin and face. I continued to listen to the sounds around me, birds chirping and loud voices. My body felt so much at ease, it’s all thanks to Yong Guk’s presence also.

“It’s also very beautiful.” He replied.

“I’m sure it is.” I answered back quietly. I felt the wind pick up and a breeze blow by me, the strands of my hair dance along with the breeze and fall over my face. Yong Guk reaches over and sweeps the free strands away, placing them behind my ears. “I wish I can see it, just once is enough.”

“Someday.” Yong Guk answered quietly as he worked with my hair.

I giggled. “Maybe.” I focused on the sounds again. “It seems like lots of fun.” I heard people talking and laughing, kids yelling and playing with each other, and dogs barking within the park. I was getting lost within the noises when out of nowhere, I felt something wet poke my shin and I flinch at the unexpected touch.

“Oh! I’m sorry!” The woman apologized. I heard panting and sniffing and I reached down. “It’s fine, he’s very nice.” The dog was calmed and allowed me to run my hand over his head and back. A smile slowly breaks across my face and I pulled away to let them continue on their walk.

“You’re not scared of them anymore.” Yong Guk said.

“I got better.” I smiled wider. “I wish I got to touch him some more though.” I pouted.

Yong Guk laughed again before getting up and pulling me with him. “Let’s get some ice cream.” I grabbed my shades and placed them on but they felt strange. “Pabo, they’re upside down.” Yong Guk took them off and placed them back on correctly. I wrapped my hands around his arm and walked close to him. He made sure to walk at my pace so I wouldn’t trip and slowed down before stopping.

“Two mint cones please.” He told the person. It was only a couple of minutes before Yong Guk took my hand and wrapped it around the cone. “Here you are.” I bit into it as soon as I got the chance. It tasted cool and refreshing. Yong Guk had always told me it was a pretty color green whenever I asked what it looked like and based on my own experience, I am sure it was as pretty as it tasted.

***

“Yong Guk, have you ever been to Busan?” I asked from the couch.

“Busan?” Yong Guk asked from the kitchen before making his way over, I heard light footsteps come closer before I felt the weight shift on the couch. “Hmmm, I went there once or twice. Why?”

I pointed at the TV, “They said it has amazing beaches there. What’s it like?” I asked curiously. The way they described it sounded lovely but I always loved Yong Guk’s way of explaining more.

“The water stretched far to the point you can’t see the end of it from shore and the beach is always filled with loud voices from people playing in the water and the sand. The water is refreshing and the waves aren’t too strong. The sand is also soft and it’s comfortable enough to just sit there for however long you want.”

“It must look beautiful with clear blue skies.” I giggled.

“Of course and when the sun is out shining. So bright that you have to squint to see what is in front of you so it’s hard to see girls in bikinis when it’s so bright out.” He joked and I hit his arm causing him to laugh. He wraps his arms around me and kisses the top of my head. “Wanna experience it for yourself?” He rocked me back and forth.

I turned my head towards him, “Really? Aren’t you busy with work?” I furrowed my eyebrows as I took his hand in mine and ran my fingers over his palm.

His free hand pokes me in between my eyebrows to smooth out the wrinkle lines, “The boys can take care of the car shop for a weekend. So how about it?”

I grin. “Sounds like fun.”

***

I held onto Yong Guk’s arm as we walked through the train cart. I heard people rustling and fumbling around with their bags. They would occasionally accidently hit me and apologize. Of course I wouldn’t get mad but Yong Guk was starting to get annoyed. He would pull me closer and walk slowly, making sure I wasn’t running into anything. “We’re almost there.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter