The Angels Wore Black

The Angels Wore Black

Angels in black.

 

They stood there together, their silhouettes shrouded in the black darkness of the storm.

Everyone stood around the small mound of earth, in the middle of hundreds of other ones.

Most of the guests had long gone, and now, there were only a small handful of people, eleven to be exact.

The eldest, Lee Jinki, his wife and their dog.

The main singer Kim Jonghyun, his wife, and their daughter.

The diva, Kim Kibum and his girlfriend of five years.

The rapper, Choi Minho and his expectant wife.

And Lee Taemin, standing next to his wife of one year, Im Nana, an arm around her thin, shaking frame.

All eleven of them looked down at the grave.

Minho’s wife placed a hand on Nana’s lower back and kissed her dongsaeng’s hair.

Nana tried to smile.

She had requested that the grave was put here. It was a common place, not a rich place like her young 23 year old husband would’ve liked.

He had been adamant for a while that she was buried in a marble grave, next to all the legendary people in Korea.

But Nana wanted her next to the commoners, where Nana herself came from and grew up.

Taemin gave in eventually after seeing how desperate Nana was.

Today, they buried their little girl.

He gave up his career for her, but did he regret it once?

No.

Never.

She was born sick, and the ten months he got with her he cherished.

It all happened so quickly.

She was finally getting better, and then, one morning she just didn’t wake up.

Taemin called everyone he knew while Nana sobbed next to the crib.

His daughter was pronounced dead on the scene.

Lee ChaeYoo.

Their beautiful little girl, had died because of a hole in her heart.

Taemin looked up and threw his single white rose on the ground.

Red for family, friends, and fans.

But white for mama and papa.

It started to rain.

Nana’s tears mixed with the rain and she knelt on the floor, desperate to hold her little girl once more.

She felt Taemin’s hand on her back and stood up.

She looked at him and placed her hand on his heart, to make sure it was still beating in time with hers.

Together they smiled through the tears and the rain and looked up at the sky.

They knew their girl was going to be alright.

And so were they.

Because the angels were on their side

Because today,

The angels wore black.