Original

You Have My Heart

Yuri was the track star of Soshi University.  Everyone admired her.  Her beauty was captivating, along with her silky jet black hair and trade mark tanned skin.

Jessica was the head cheerleader.  Her cold aura and icy glare were only some of the things that made her popular. Everyone envied her.  What people envied the most, was that the top people of the school were an item. Yes, Jessica and Yuri are together and no one can touch them.

///

Jessica came to school one day with a new student.

Yuri met Jessica in class and gave her a peck on the lips.

Yuri’s eyes met with the new student.  She had a mesmerizing eye-smile.

“Oh I must not forget. Yuri, this is my best friend, Tiffany, from the states.  Remember I told you that she would be coming to stay here in Korea?”

The new student spoke. “Hi. My name is Tiffany Hwang. Nice to meet you!”

They shook hands.

 “Oh yeah.  I remember. Well, a friend of Jessica’s is a friend of mine.”

“Well, Yuri can you take care of Tiffany for me and show her around today.  I got practice and since track season is over for you, I’m hoping you two can hang out together.”

“Sure Sica. No problem.”

Yuri gave Jessica a warm hug, inhaling the fragrance of her hair.

“See ya’ later Fany.” Jessica left.

“So, would you like a tour?” Yuri asked to break the awkwardness between them.

“Sure.” Tiffany gave one of her eye-smiles again.

///

It was late at night at Soshi University’s dorms. Jessica and Yuri were lying on Yuri’s bed, simply enjoying each other presence and embrace.

Jessica wrapped her arms around Yuri.  “I love you, Yuri.”

Yuri held her close.  “I love you too, Jessica, with all my heart and soul.”

Jessica replied, “My heart belongs to you and only you.”

Yuri faced Jessica and looked into her eyes. “My heart beats only for you.”

///

 Tiffany and Yuri have been hanging out a lot recently.  Jessica was too busy with cheerleading practice.  They have an upcoming regional competition coming up and they have to be the best.  She didn’t want to leave Yuri alone, so she always had Tiffany hang out with her.  So, Jessica has been seeing Yuri less often. Yuri understood though and told her to do her best. Jessica felt better and grateful for having such an understanding girlfriend.

It was the evening.  Jessica dismissed practice early today since everyone has been working extra hard.  She usually got to the dorms late at night.  Yuri and Jessica were roommates and today she decided to give Yuri a surprise. She peeked into Yuri’s room.  She was shocked to find Yuri on the bed with another girl.  She couldn’t hold in her tears and clasp her hand over .  Seeing Yuri like that already informed Jessica that she has done the act, the unthinkable, and the unfaithful. What pained her the most was that it was with her best friend. 

Yuri, how can you do this do me?

Yuri stirred in her sleep and draped an arm over Tiffany.

Jessica got away from the scene as fast as she could.  She ran to the park with tears blurring her view.  She just wanted to get away.

Why Yuri?  You promised that there was only me in your heart.  I have your heart and you have mine.

 

*Flashback

Yuri was a bit nervous.  She was starting to break a sweat.  Today would be the day she would confess to Jessica.  She has been watching her, taking peeks of her in class and quickly looking away when Jessica looked her way.  They have been friends since the school year started.  Jessica first gave off cold and icy impression.  It may have been intimidating at first, but Yuri was able to melt it all away and warm up to Jessica.  Since then on, they have been good friends.  Yuri, on the other hand, wanted to be more than just friends.  She secretly harbored feelings for Jessica. And now, she’s going to go for it.

Come’on Yuri. You can do this. Fighting!

It was after school. Yuri and Jessica always met after school to walk home together.  This was Yuri’s chance. Yuri waited for Jessica behind the school gate. 

“Yuri!” Jessica shouted and waved her hand.

Yuri smiled. “Jessica!” she yelled back, waved, and walk towards her.  Her heart was starting to beat faster, as if it had a mind of its own.

“Hey…”

“Let’s go Yuri.” Jessica pulled Yuri’s hand.  Yuri’s heart sped up some more.  They were holding hands.  It was normal for them to do so, they always held hands though. But whenever they did, Yuri would feel volts of electricity course through her body.

“Jessica?  Let’s go somewhere first.”

Jessica was confused. “Ok?” Where are you taking me, Yuri?

Yuri led the way to the park.  There weren’t much people there since it was getting late and the sky was darkening. Yuri led her to a secluded area of the park.  Jessica looked up at the sky.  Stars were slowly appearing in the night sky.  Yuri held onto Jessica’s hands and stopped to face her.

“Jessica. I’ve been wanting to say this to you for a long time.”  Yuri hesitated and continued.

“I want to be more than just friends with you.  With you, I feel right. With you my heart feels whole.  You complete me, Jessica.” She paused again.

“Jessica Jung, will you be my girlfriend?” Yuri held out a rose out of nowhere and waited patiently for Jessica’s answer.

By this time, Jessica’s eyes were already b with tears.  She had feelings for Yuri too.  She was afraid it would ruin their relationship.  Now that Yuri has confessed, it all seemed like a dream.  She was surprised and happy.

“I’d love to be your girlfriend.” She jumped and hugged Yuri.  Yuri was too happy for words.  Yuri leaned in and kissed her.  Jessica responded to the kiss and they slowly pulled away from each other. Yuri rested her forehead on Jessica’s.

Yuri said softly, “You have my heart and you always will.”

Under the night sky, the shining stars were watching the love of these two unfold.

*End Flashback

 

Jessica held onto her head, not wanting to believe what just happened.  She clutched onto her heart; it ached.  She was heartbroken.  Yuri has done a shameful act. Jessica sat down on the park bench and pulled her knees in, rocking herself back and forth.

No, no…Yuri loves me.

///

For the next week, Jessica acted like nothing happened.  She was still busy with the cheerleading.  She wanted to forget the incident for the moment and confront Yuri with the problem later.  For now, she needed to clear her mind.  She was trying to prepare her mind in removing Yuri from her life, getting ready to break up with her, but she couldn’t imagine her life without Yuri.  Yuri as left too deep of an imprint in her heart.  Moreover, Yuri has her heart.  Her heart was in Yuri’s control. They had been together for almost a year.  She can’t erase all those memories and all those times they have spent together.

///

Yuri was breathing hard. It has been a routine. Yuri would always hang out with Tiffany and in the end, they would end up sleeping together.

“Fany, I—I , don’t think we can do this anymore.”

“Hmmm...?” Tiffany continued kissing Yuri’s neck and jaw line, traveling down her collarbone and tugging onto her shirt.

Yuri gently pushed Tiffany off.  Tiffany frowned.

“I’m sorry Tiffany.  I can’t do this to Jessica anymore.  This is unfair to her.”

“Then why’d you do it in the first place?” Tiffany replied, a bit ticked off.

“I-I-I—

“Nevermind.”

Tiffany got up and fixed her clothes, before leaving the room with a slam of the door.

Yuri buried her head in her hands.  I don’t know why myself.  I guess I was confused.  This guilt, it hurts. I don’t know what came over me. What have I done?

///

Location:  Somewhere.

“Tiffany, I know.”

Confused, Tiffany inquired, “Huh?  What are you talking about?”

“You’re sleeping with Yuri behind my back.” Jessica gritted her teeth.

“So?” Tiffany crossed her arms.

Jessica wasn’t expecting Tiffany to react in such a way and furrowed her eyebrows.

“Why are you doing this?  You’re my best friend!”

“Well, I have what Yuri needs and wants…the time…” Tiffany smirked, “…the body…”

“No, Yuri loves me.  You did something to her.”

“Look Jessica, if she loved you, she won’t be tempted by me would she?  There’s obviously something that you’re lacking. ”

Jessica held her fists tightly. Some of it did make sense.  If Yuri did indeed love her, why did she do it?

“I’m sick of being in your shadow, Jessica. It’s always you and I have to be the best friend supporting you every step of the way.  Where am I in all of this?”

Tiffany smirked.  “Well, it was nice staying here for the time being.  I’m going back to the states.  I’m done with Yuri.  She sure was something. ”

Tiffany walked closer and whispered. “Especially in bed.”

Jessica was furious and slapped her face.

Tiffany quickly moved away, holding onto her stinging red cheek.

“I guess I deserved that.  And I guess this is also good bye,” Tiffany said and began walking away. 

Jessica was devastated.  Finding out that her girlfriend and best friend sleeping together was worst enough, but also finding out that her best friend wanted to ruin her life, really hurt Jessica.

Jessica cried.  It was too much.  She was depressed.

“Yuri.  It’s going to be our first year anniversary soon.” She frowned. They barely made it to their first year and they already had a problem.

Was it not meant to be?

“Why did you do this to me Yuri? I loved you with all my heart and you cheat with my best friend behind my back. ”

Of course Jessica was furious, who wouldn’t be?

///

It was going to be their first year anniversary.  Yuri had broke it off with Tiffany.  She was going to come clean and tell Jessica everything and propose that they started over.  Yuri needed to make things right again.  She hasn’t seen Jessica often within the past week.  Even though they were roommates, their schedules varied because of their activities.  Every time she called, Jessica would be busy.  She asked her what was wrong, but Jessica said it was nothing; she was just tired.

On the phone:

*Ring, Ring, Ring*

“Sica?”

“Hey, Yuri.” Jessica was trying to keep her cool and tears from forming.

“You’re coming back tomorrow from the competition right?”

“Yeah. We won first.”

“That’s great Sica baby! Congratulations! I knew you could do it. I’ll be waiting for you. Love you. Bye.”

“Love you too.” Jessica hung up.  Happy first year anniversary, Yuri.

Yuri closed her phone.  Jessica didn’t sound so “happy”.  Maybe I’m just thinking too much since I haven’t seen her in awhile.

Jessica has such mixed emotions, loving and hating Yuri at the same time.  Even though her team won first, it didn’t help fill the void in her heart. Overall, she felt betrayed by everyone close to her.

I hate you for making me love you so deeply.  You’re like a drug.  I try to forget you yet you make me want you again.  I can’t live with this unbearable heartache and most importantly I can’t live without you. I need to stop the pain.  

Jessica made up her mind.  I’ll show you how much you mean to me and the pain you have caused.

She reached over to the picture of Yuri and her on her bedside and traced Yuri’s face.

A tear escaped from her eye and rolled down her cheek.  She softly whispered, “I love you…I hate you…I…”

She couldn’t keep the tears from falling. 

///

The next day:

Yuri wanted to make this the perfect anniversary.  She bought roses and prepared a nice candle lit dinner for her.  Jessica was coming back soon and she couldn’t wait to get rid of her guilt and to start anew with her.  Yuri even prepared couple rings for them.  She wanted to prove that she will always be with Jessica. She was getting a bit antsy and nervous.  She tried to calm herself down, in hopes that Jessica would listen to her and accept her.

There was a knock on the door.  Yuri opened the door and found the delivery boy holding a box.

“This is for Kwon Yuri.”

“Yeah, that’s me.”

“Sign here please.” The boy pointed to the dotted line. Yuri signed it and the boy gave her the box.

“Thank you.”

Yuri closed the door holding the box.  It was a beige box about a foot in length, width, and height, wrapped in a black silky ribbon.  It looked elegant.  She set the box on the table.

It must be Jessica.  Yuri smiled at the thought.

Yuri pulled out the card on the box.

The envelope read: To my Yuri.

She opened the envelope and read the card inside:

Have you ever truly given me your heart?...

“Hmmm?”  Confused, Yuri set down the card to open the gift.

Yuri flipped open the lid on the box and fell back in shock at the red mass in the box.

Scribbled on the inside of the lid of the box:

…I’ve given you mine.