Chapter 6

The Wolf Pack

Many weeks after his flu, Luhan was thinking his daily routine was, a little bit… let’s be honest, boring. Like extremely boring. Boring to the point he was bored just thinking about his life. It was too normal: wake up, eat, take a shower, go to school, chill with his friends, and then get back home, do his homework and sleep. Was there any more boring routine out there? Probably not, Luhan thought, his life seemed like the epitome of boredom.

So it’s only normal that, out of pure curiosity, the boy turned his laptop on to make a little research. He stared at the screen with more or less interest until something caught his eye. He leaned in closer to his screen and read the small text intently, then gasped as an idea suddenly made his way to his brain. His lips formed in an evil grin. “Prepare yourselves” thought the Chinese boy as he printed the webpage that caught his interest.

 

~~~~~

 

“CAMPING!!” Luhan exclaimed loudly, or should I say screamed, while throwing the pages on the table during lunchtime. Baekhyun jumped ten feet in the air at the loud, sudden voice while Kyungsoo kept his eyes on his lunch, not even flinching. The Chinese boy pouted as he realized nobody was really paying attention to him.

“Come on guys! It would be fun to go camping the three of us together! I’m sure we would be so cool, living the wild life in the woods.”

Baekhyun snorted. Kyungsoo seemed skeptical as he finally turned his attention to his hyung, “In the middle of October? The camping season is in summer, Lu, not in the middle of autumn!”

“Ha! But that’s where you’re all wrong my Kyungie cutie! Yesterday I found a website for activities to do in fall and going camping was one of them! And you know me, I love nature so much, the wild life of camping never scares me!” Kyungsoo snorted at that. “At least check it out.” With these words, Luhan pointed the little document he had printed the night before. Baekhyun took it and leafed through it quickly, then nodded his head before placing it back on the table, “It seems pretty interesting, Lu-ge. It’s probably the first time you come up with a good idea.” The eyelinered man teased with a small smile. Luhan made the most fake laugh in the world and lifted his middle finger to his brunette friend. During the little confrontation, the owl boy had the time to go through the pages of information and to make up his mind about his favorite hyung’s idea.

“Hyung,” Kyungsoo started, “I think it’s a pretty good idea but… How do you plan to do that? And most importantly, when? I have a job, you know, I don’t have endless free time like you have!”

Luhan stopped the glaring contest with Baekhyun to give all his attention to his friend sitting beside him. “Pfft! I don’t have endless time! I have to study and… and watch TV shows, and read books, and play video games, you know. All those educational things.” Kyungsoo only rolled his eyes at the failed attempt to defend himself Luhan was doing. “But anyways, I was thinking of doing that in two weeks, during the long weekend! This way we have enough time to prepare everything and you can tell your boss early, to make sure you can get someone to replace you to have a few free days!”

Kyungsoo nodded, seeing that his friend had thought of everything, and let his brain assimilate all the information before taking his decision, “Okay, I’ll go to your camping trip.” The small man finally decided and he knew he couldn’t change his mind anymore; when Luhan had his agreement, he would get harassed if he ever decided to say no.

Luhan let out a little scream of victory and gave a bone-crushing hug to his friend before turning to the brunette sitting on the other side of the table, “And you, are you coming?” he asked excitedly.

“In two weeks, right?” Baekhyun asked and Luhan nodded. “And what date will it be exactly in two weeks?”

“It will be the 21st!” Kyungsoo replied in the Chinese Boy’s stead.

Baekhyun seemed to think about it for a while before he froze briefly, “Guys, I can’t. I have-“ he glanced towards his right “I have plans this weekend...”

The two other men nodded and let out an “aahhh” with a voice that wasn’t hiding their sadness. Suddenly, the bell rang and the three friends briefly jumped. They got up nonchalantly to walk toward the cafeteria exit and then get to their own lockers but the brunette stopped midway.

“I’m sorry guys… I know you want us to go on that trip the three of us together and I’m probably the worse friend ever because I don’t go, but I swear I really can’t! I have important thing to do-“ And blah blah blah.

Luhan and Kyungsoo looked at their friend, dumbfounded. The owl boy turned toward the Chinese who replied his silent question with a shrug. During this time, Baekhyun continued his little speech. After a few seconds, Luhan decided to interrupt him, “Uhm.. Baek?”

Hearing his name, the latter stopped and looked at him with puppy eyes

“There’s no need to worry, you know. It doesn’t really matter, we’ll do it another time!” Luhan said with a smile that tried to be comforting. Baekhyun hesitated before returning the smiled and the guys started to walk again.

 

~~~~~

 

A week before the five camping days, Kyungsoo went to meet Luhan at his house to prepare their trip. You know, they need a tent, inflatable mattresses, survival equipment (it’s wild camping!), enough (warm) clothes and food for 5 days, planning where they will go, et cetera…

So here they are, sitting on the older’s bed and organizing the activity while eating delicious little cookies baked with love by Lu-fawn (aka Luhan. a nickname that caused an eruption of laughter coming from Kyungsoo and a glare from Luhan)’s mother. But soon, they started to watch useless but hilarious videos on YouTube, – like stupid animals or bad lips reading of great TV shows -  to talk about rumors and gossips, and just to be their crazy fun selves.

Kyungsoo stayed for the night.

 

~~~~~

 

An alarm clock went off early one – let’s precise it, weekend - morning, waking Luhan. The latter grunted and rolled his body in a burritos of warm and cozy blankets. After a minute or two – or probably five – Luhan had gathered enough courage to open an eye and he immediately noticed a big, red circle on his calendar. The said circle was around a date – October 21st – the day the two best friends were going on their much awaited camping trip. The young man smiled at the idea of their soon-to-happen adventure. I can’t wait! He thought before closing his eyes again…

Wait a minute!

Luhan leaped out of bed to take a closer look at his calendar. Today was the 21st! As Luhan jumped for joy, his eyes found his clock on the wall and he stopped abruptly; Kyungsoo was supposed to be there in 15 minutes!

“Dang it!” The blond-haired guy shouted before taking the first clothes his hands touched and sprinting towards the bathroom for what was probably the quickest shower he’s ever taken in his life. Then he went downstairs to eat a substantial and nutritious breakfast (his mother had insisted). In the middle of the breakfast, the bell of the door was heard and Luhan’s mother hurried to open the door for the guest.

“Good morning lovely Kyungsoo! Hurry and come inside. Lu-fawn sweetie is eating his breakfast.” She says with a warm smile before her beautiful face (there’s no wonder who Luhan got his facial features from) turned into a worried expression. “Have you eaten breakfast? There’s still enough food left for you! Do you have everything you need?”

Kyungsoo smiled at the caring mother’s typical questions. “Good morning Mrs. Xi. Yes, I’ve already eaten and I have everything I need, thank you. There’s no need to worry for me.” He replied and his lips turned upwards in a reassuring smile before he went to sit with his friend in the dining room. The two guys greeted each other with a joyful nod and the Korean took a seat beside the Chinese man.

Luhan was done eating quickly and the two young men went to help Mr. Xi – who was nice enough to propose being the taxi for the two boys; bringing them to the forest and bringing them back home after the trip - to load all their things in the truck.

After an hour of preparation – yes, they were quite slow – the teenagers were finally ready to go. They entered the vehicle while the man of the Xi house was trying to calm the emotional mother who was crying on the porch. Mission accomplished! Mr. Xi took the driver’s seat with a sigh and an apology for the little ‘delay’.

When the automobile finally started to move, a sigh of relief was heard from the two young men. The atmosphere in the truck soon became one of excitement as both friends couldn’t wait to be there, to experience something new and fun. At some point Luhan rolled down the window and put his hand outside to feel the wind against his skin and it gave him a small feeling of freedom, silly, right?

Going to Baekdun-ri was what some people would consider long – considering that it was only for a camping trip – since it was about 2 hours and a half. So since they both hadn’t had a full night of sleep, the two men decided to take a nap.

 

~~~~~

 

“-han… Luhan! Wake up, we’re there. »

The blonde woke up at the sounf of his father’s voice. He opened his eyes slowly, but the sun was too bright, making him close them again quickly. He stretched, tried for the second time and finally opened his eyes without being blinded. Luhan was immediately in awe at the sight that welcomed him. The trees, shrubs, fern and grass was all we could see. With the beginning of Fall, the trees’ leaves were pigmented with different colors – red, orange, yellow, green – which gave an almost magical feel to the place. In the distance, we could see enormous mountains, also super colorful.

Luhan turned to Kyungsoo with an ear-to-ear grin, “Coming here was such a good idea!” he exclaimed and his friend nodded with a similarly wide grin.

The duo started to unpack the truck and began to put up the tent. After several miserable, failed attempts – it was difficult to put up, ok! – their tent stood proudly in the middle of what would be their camping spot for the five days weekend. At the end of the afternoon, everything was finally ready and Luhan’s father wished the guys a good time and went back home. The two friends finished a few details they had forgotten earlier and could finally sit and smile proudly at their good job.

They cooked a small, modest dinner and decided to explore their surroundings a little. They discovered, at the bottom of a hill, a small lake where they could go for a swim. What a good thing they had both thought of bringing their swimming suit! A bit further in the forest, Luhan found a beautiful clearing where the late afternoon sun rays shone in a magical way. He thought it was the perfect place to go if he ever had to clear his head, and he laughed as he realized that would mean clearing his head in a clearing (yes, his humor sense is that bad okay, don’t judge please).

Soon the sun was setting and Luhan and Kyungsoo went back to their tent before it was too dark. They changed in something warmer since the nights were getting colder and colder at this time of the year. The two boys thought about playing a game of cards before going to bed, but seeing how exhausted they both were, the idea didn’t stay for long. They turned off their lamp and they barely had the time to say goodnight that they were already falling sound asleep.

 

-----------------------------------------

Camping trip! :b

First I need to say: Sorry for this late update, I (Chanho4life) am in charge if translating and adding things to the chapters and I completely forgot Banghimdaeh had sent it to me... You guys can kill me if you want, I understand xD

But anyways!  What will happen when two teenage boys are left alone in the wild forest? So many possibilities... Subscribe and wait patiently (or impatiently if you like) for the next chapter to find out! :P

We love you, lovely subbies~ *throws hearts and brownies at you"