Hints

Of Flaws and Lies

The Shadow Dragon Headquarter, second week of April.

 

"Moving to Incheon.. Yesterday noon another 100 pills of illegal ecstasy and 50 kilograms of illegal s were found hidden inside the stacks of dvd player imported from Japan and had been reported to the police. These amounts are adding to the total record of 1 ton of illegal drugs that had been smuggled inside the country just in a period of one month. The Prime Minister on behalf of The King had spoken regarding the-"

"Oh them all !" Jiyong cursed as he saw the appearance of the Prime Minister and a glimpse of The King. "Why the ing they have to always interfere ?! It's not like they're paying for our food or our living cost."

" !" someone gave his middle finger to the screen.

And Jinki tried so hard not to flinch. Because there's a huge different between hearing the Kkangpae spat out profanities between each other, then to your father.

It was just another evening when they sat together in the living room, but this time instead of playing game or just talking nonsense, Jiyong decided for them to watch the news and collect more information.

The palace was on the move. That's obvious enough with so many failures on their smuggles recently. And Jiyong seemed wanted to know how the public reacted to it.

Jinki felt his stomach churned. Those were all his works.

"They think they're smart enough to stop us. Loser." Jonghyun snorted from the other couch he sat on, munching peanuts.

"Still, we can't underestimate them. They have so many cops that working with them, they have power and the authority, don't they ?" Joon said.

They do. Jinki thought, feeling another confusion washed over him.

After the invitation to the club last time, the boys -except, of course, Jonghyun- were back to be nice -or cool, might be the more appropriate word- to him. Maybe because they finally saw he had nothing to do with the gala incident or something, but Jinki felt so relieved for the end of the awkward atmosphere.

And that made he felt sort of thankful for them. They were, really, a bunch of good friends.

But then, when this kind of issue that was relating to their crimes being brought up, he couldn't help but to remind himself that Oh right, he was here to trap them not to befriend them.

"...right, Onew ? Onew ?"

Jinki snapped out from his thoughts, before he look up and saw Jiyong was frowning at him. "Uh...yes?" he asked rather dumbly.

Jiyong shook his head while smirking "I said if the palace has power, we have brain, am i right ?"

"Oh...o-of course..." Jinki nodded awkwardly.

His head suddenly hurted.

"You don't look good." Jiyong asked concernedly. "Are you okay ?"

"Yeah," Jinki quickly said "Yeah. Just.. I'm just a little tired, I guess."

Jiyong frowned but nodded "Go to sleep, then. You don't have any work left, do you ? We have lotsa works to do tomorrow, I want everyone in a good condition."

"Yeah. I better go to sleep." Jinki said absentmindedly, before got up from the couch and walked to his room, while the other started to change the conversation topic about the boss and the big event that had been planned for weeks.

And as soon as he reached his room, he immediately went to search for his working laptop and switched it on.

After logging in to his messenger and he found that Minho was idle, he still tried to send a chat.

 

Jinki_Lee : are you there?

Jinki_Lee : froggie ?

...

...

He clicked his tounge unpatiently for minutes and almost give up before finally the chat pop-up appeared on the screen.

 

Minhothecoolestfrog :  hi...yes, sorry i was in the shower. 'Sup, hyung ?

Jinki_Lee : i'm sort of confused... and tired..

Jinki_Lee : we just watched news together, it's about the illegal drugs..

Minhothecoolestfrog : oh yeah ? you did a good job at it, hyung.

Jinki_Lee : Yeah well, they're cursing the palace because of it..

Minhothecoolestfrog : should i be surprised ?

Jinki_Lee : no ?

Minhothecoolestfrog : no

 

Jinki scrunched his eyebrows.

 

Jinki_Lee : uh well..

Jinki_Lee : how's the palace doing ?

Minhothecoolestfrog : same old 2x

Minhothecoolestfrog : If you're asking me about Taemin and Her majesty..

Minhothecoolestfrog : Her majesty insisted to contact you directly and His majesty declined it..

Minhothecoolestfrog : You know Her majesty is kinda... hard headed ?

Jinki_Lee : just say stubborn.. i won't tell..

Minhothecoolestfrog : =_="

Minhothecoolestfrog : yeah so Her majesty was mad about it, she really wanted to reach you..

Jinki_Lee : let her chat me ?

Minhothecoolestfrog : she doesn't want chatting.. it's less heartfelt, she said..

Jinki_Lee : O dear my complicated mother..

Minhothecoolestfrog : yeah i guess u cud expect something from her soon..

Jinki_Lee : as long as it doesnt jeopardize my mission..

Minhothecoolestfrog : btw abt ur mission, d old goat started to gush abt it..

Jinki_Lee : old goat ?

Minhothecoolestfrog : head of defense ministry

Jinki_Lee : oh.. rite..

Jinki_Lee : what was he fussing abt ?

Minhothecoolestfrog : that u cudn't keep up w/ just spying for so long..

Minhothecoolestfrog : kkangpae will find out sooner / later

Minhothecoolestfrog : we need a real move

Jinki_Lee : well..

 

His head hurted again.

--

 

The Palace of South Korea, second week of April.

 

She was the first lady of a whole nation. The most respectable, the most honoured, the most well-pampered and at the same time, might be the most lonely one.

The Queen took a deep breath as she walked in silence through the hallway, the tail of her silk nightgown sweeping the floor lightly until she halted stop in front of certain double wooden door before she opened it.

Looking inside, she could see the first man of the nation, whose she gratefully claimed as her husband. The King. The man that had made her fall in love once and still until now.

"Why haven't you slept ?" she asked gently as she came inside the room.

The King, that had been reading papers on his work desk lifted his head up, and frowned "Why haven't you ?" If he was surprised, he wasn't showing it at all.

"I couldn't." She sighed inwardly.

Seeing her husband only nod briefly to her answer before looking back down to his work, she didn't really know what to feel. Maybe she just should ignore it. It wasn't like she hadn't been dealing with that coldness for almost a dozen years.

"I keep thinking about the thing I've said to you." she said, walking closer as she scrutinized the wrinkles on her husband's face.

"I haven't changed my mind." The King flatly answered.

"If you couldn't let me contact him even by a slightest way.." she said as he clenched the side of her gown "Could you just pull him out of there ? And let other people take his place ?"

"And why do I have to do that ?" The King frowned again to his wife "It's not easy to gain access from Kkangpae if we should start over again."

The Queen had almost opened to yell before she gathered her patience and said with a shakened voice "Is that just what you could only think of ?" she asked "Isn't it getting more dangerous now, you said ? Why if Jinki get killed ?"

The King paused or a while before answering "Then it's an honor."

"Wha..." The Queen's eyes widened.

"Pass away while carrying the duty to protect the nation. It's a pride." The King said with a boring tone the lecturer often used.

"Are you being serious ?!" her tone went higher an octave "That's our son !"

"He's the son of our nation." He corrected her, after glancing slightly "If he pass this mission alive, could you imagine how respectable he would be when he get crowned ? As my successor ?"

"I don't c.."

"Why don't you just believe me that our son is capable of get off alive ?" The King asked "Why don't you believe in him ?"

The Queen only turned her head away as she couldn't find the answer. But she had had the strong will to get one of her wish. Whatever the consequences.

 

--

 

Another end of the week meant another escapade to Skeleton. That was still as filthy, and as reeking like vomit and oldman -Jinki just noticed it's the smell of the bartender, the tiny one- as ever, but he had somehow gotten used to it.

Sitting alone on the stool in front of the bar table -while another members wandered around to dance, drunk or hooking up to find a one night stand-, Jinki was absentmindedly playing with the tiny glass of his gin, hadn't even take a sip, since he had been really careful about his drink and alcohol during his little masquerade. Didn't need the risk to spill anything out without his conscience.

He took a deep breath then before finally couldn't resist to turn around again. Just a bit, just a little so he could see that lithe body moving under the dim light.

A lopsided smile subconsciously painted itself on his face. It's the first time he got to see Kibum was enjoying himself.

On the floor. With Amber. Shaking his hip to the beat.

Sure, Jinki had seen Kibum without anything on, had mapped the skin under that layer of tight clothing with his fingers, had done something more and beyond what he thought he could ever do to that body.

But now, just seeing Kibum getting lost in the midst of loud music, watching sweat running down that paleness of the long neck was still... Well.

Jinki shook his head and turned his head back to the table, realizing there's already something dangerous going south and southern of his own body.

"Your majesty ?" A whisper followed as a sudden scraping noise came from his right side.

And Jinki almost fell down from his stool, if only he didn't quickly grip the edge of the bar table in front of him.

"Your majesty !" the same voice shrieked in somehow strangled sound, holding Jinki's side "A-are you alright ?"

"Ssssssh..." Jinki shush-ing the male -a young one, maybe a little bit younger than him, with a rounder face under the cap- as he fixed position on his seat while looking left and right abruptly, checking if there's anyone around them before glaring again to the guy beside him "Tone it down ! Are you crazy ?"

"I-I'm sorry, Your Ma- umm.. Sorry."

Jinki took a deep sigh before frowning, scrutinizing the newcomer "Who are you ? Where is the regular one ?"

"He's still here.." the lad wandered his gaze somewhere.

Jinki frowned "Then what are you doing here ? Who send you ? Minho ? My father ?"

"Im Seukhyun..." he said "And It's the Queen, My Prince."

Jinki raised his eyebrows "My mother ?"

Seukhyun nodded and already opened his mouth to answer again when Jinki cut him off "And quit calling me those royal names for now."

Seukhyun nodded again.

"So, why my mother send you here ?" Jinki  asked, keeping his voice low.

"Ah. I need to deliver Her Maj- umm.. Her letter to you." Seukhyun said, before fishing something out from his black waist bag.

Jinki pressed his side closer to Seukhyun, avoiding the risk of the letter getting caught. People who saw them from their backside would've been guessing they were up to some illegal transaction.

Once Seukhyun offered the rose scented envelope to him, Jinki quickly clasped it in between his two hands, covering both sides, before he sneakily took a look of the backside.

The envelope glued with the Queen's royal seal wax, so then he knew Seukhyun was not an impostor.

And glancing to his mother's handwriting on the frontside of the envelope 'To my brave son, Jinki' suddenly made him realized that he missed her, and he sort of glad she really made a move.

Jinki slowly took a deep breath as he pocketed the letter inside his jacket -just to make it safe- and asked Seukhyun "Did she say anything else for me ?"

"No, Your H- no."

"Ah." Jinki said, nodding "It's alright. Thankyou." he said, patting Seukhyun's shoulder.

The boy stared at Jinki with fascination. Because truth be told, he was a fan. Yes, Jinki's big fan.

His mother was the head of The Queen's maids and along his life he had heard so much greatness about the mysterious Princes (Jinki and Taemin) but he didn't know why he took the fond of Jinki more.

Seukhyun didn't know since when he really wanted to be like Jinki. And hearing Jinki was on a life-risking secret mission at the time made him favored the older Prince more. As if Jinki was his favorite superhero on the newest series of a really cool movie.

"Do you want to drink something ?" Jinki asked "It's on me. You're not a minor, right ?"

Seukhyun shook his head.

Jinki just nodded to the guy that didn't say anything anymore before turning around, ready to grab the glass of his gin back right when another slim digits suddenly snatched it out of his reach.

"Ya.." Jinki said as he followed his drink with his eyes, hearing the glass made a light clink sound as it collided with a series of rings on the snatcher's fingers.

Kibum didn't even spare a glance to Jinki as he latched his lips on the mouth of the tiny glass and throwing his head back, downing the liquid.

"Ya.." Jinki scolded again, outstretching his hand to get his glass back, liking the way his hand brushed with those long fingers.

"What ?" Kibum asked as he finished the other's gin, letting Jinki had the glass back.

"It's mine." Jinki said, not as firm as he wanted it to.

Kibum shrugged "You didn't even drink it."

Jinki only rolled his eyes "Still not a reason.."

Jinki was oblivious that Seukhyun eyed the interaction with interest -as if waiting whether that pretty other male would deem himself as the villain or the teammate for the main hero-, but the half-tipsy Kibum narrowed his eyes to the stranger on Jinki's side, thinking the boy had a thing for Onew, since he had been watching them from the dance floor.

He didn't like it.

He didn't like the previous time Jinki leaned to the boy's side.

He didn't like to see Jinki's hand landed anywhere on that stranger.

And encouraged by those sips of the colorful alcohol he had already drunk even before he downed Jinki's gin, Kibum sneaked his hand to travel up the other's thigh.

"Do you want it back ?" Kibum slurred his voice.

Jinki frowned as he turned to see Kibum, questioning. "Yes ?"

"The gin.." he said, rubbing circle on Jinki's jeans. "I still have the taste.."

Jinki raised one of his eyebrows, suspecting. Kibum was not the one that seductive on their not-so relationship. "How many glass have you downed before mine ?"

Kibum hummed as he leaned closer, grabbing the collar of Jinki's leather jacket to pull him closer.

Jinki was half-lost on Kibum's darkened lenses, and his intoxicating breath that was coming from those luscious lips, caressing his jaw with his long fingers until he heard a slight 'oomph' from behind him

Oh. Right. He snapped back to reality. There's still his mother's messenger.

"Key-ah," Jinki held back the other's waist  "Just let's get back. You're drunk."

Kibum just whined incoherencies as he frowned to Jinki, but gave up eventually as his consciousness started slipping away.

Jinki came down from his stool, still holding Kibum on his arm and getting ready to go as he glanced back to Seukhyun "Don't tell anyone," he warned in whisper, referring to the almost intimate moment that was just about to happen "It's just... Part of the plan."

Seukhyun just nodded.

*

Kibum was fast to sleep as Jinki put him on the bed. After pulling off the other's shoes, socks and jacket, Jinki just shook his head as he tucked Kibum under the blanket and heard the male groaned unconsciously about his head.

He swept the bangs that stuck on Kibum's forehead as he stared at him, patting himself on the back for his seemingly good decision for bringing Kibum back to the headquarter earlier than anyone.

He couldn't imagine what else that Kibum could do in the club that would just add to his after misery later.

"Troublesome.." Jinki said softly as he flicked the other's forehead and smiled to himself, seeing Kibum mumbled as he snuggled closer to his pillow.

"Too bad I couldn't taste the gin.." Jinki said absentmindedly again to himself, before he finally shook his head and decided to just pull himself away from the sleeping blonde, ready to go out.

Then his mother's letter suddenly felt so heavy inside his jacket. And as soon as he stepped outside Kibum's bedroom, he slipped his hand into his jacket and pulled the envelope out.

It was just a short letter. A brief opening about how she -and everyone- missed him. She wrote that she'd heard about Jinki from Minho. She'd heard both of the boys were continuously keeping contact through an electronic messenger all along, but she thought it was less heartfelt. -Just like what Minho'd told him-.

Handwritten letter would do better to express how much she missed him.

Jinki smiled. His mother was a romanticist like that.

'Your Father would be mad at me if he knows i write to you, because it'll be too dangerous if anyone find out. So, make sure you destroy this after you read.

 

Ps : Can you at least try to write back to me, son ?'

Jinki took a deep breath as he teared the letter apart and tossed it to the dump near him. He had a better idea.

*

Jonghyun had no idea, why in one minute he was planning to go to his bedroom and in another one he could spot the new guy was standing outside Kibum's bedroom when they were supposed to be in the club with another members.

He himself still had some work to do that made him couldn't join the fun.

Jonghyun knew rather than he went to confront Jinki, it would be better if he hid himself for a while and tried to know what's going on.

Needless to say, he was utterly confused as he saw the guy fished out an ivory envelope from his jacket, smiled fondly while reading it and without much hesitates ripping it apart a minute after.

Weird.

But he had always knew there's something strange with that Onew.

So when Jinki strolled down the other side of the dim hallway, Jonghyun decided to step out from where he's hiding and stop by Kibum's front door, in front of the trash can to be exact.

Wasting no time, he opened the lid just to see the paper was shredded into tiny pieces. He would needed a day to stick it back together -not like he had the time to do so-. But not the envelope.

It was made from an expensive material, that it might be harder to tear. And so for the new guy.

Jonghyun decided to pick up a part with  the most visible seal wax -forming like a one fifth from a small perfect round- still sticking on it. Since the other had none, the red wax had been peeled off and cracked into shapeless.

Jonghyun thought that he had seen it -that tiny part- somewhere in the back of his mind but he could've been wrong.

In the end, he just shrugged and decided to keep it for a while.

*

The Palace of South Korea, third week of April.

 

"I still can't see..  Lower it again !"

"God, Taemin. You just don't pull someone's pants down in front of everyone."

"What's everyone ?" Taemin rolled his eyes "It's just me and Minho."

Jinki clicked his tounge and practically shoved his younger brother's prying hands away from his jeans, decided to lower it a bit himself, showing his hipbones. "Here."

Taemin gaped at the sight. "Whoaa. It's really cool." he said, bending down to level his eyes "Look at the detail. Reeeeally."

After shaking his head seeing Taemin's antic, Jinki left his tattoo admirer alone then diverted his gaze to another tall man in front of him, who's staring at him with a concerned look.

"Stop frowning, Choi." Jinki said, teasing "It's ugly."

Minho finally lifted one side of his lips, half-smiling tho it's gone as fast as it appeared "You're really sure there's no one trailing you here, right Hyung ?" he asked again.

Jinki heaved a deep sigh and rolled his eyes "I'm a million percent sure. Breathe, Minho, breathe."

Minho just shook his head.

"Have you done worshiping my tattoo, Tae ?" Jinki asked, ready to pull his jeans up.

Taemin nodded, straightened his body with longing stare on his eyes as he watched his hyung's tattoo disappeared from his sight. He sighed "I really want one like that.."

Taemin pouted "Can I ?" he asked to Jinki who just shrugged and Minho who widened his eyes.

"It's our enemy symbol, My Prince. I don't think The King would allow you to engrave it on any part of your body."

"Revision : I don't think Mother would ever allow you to have a tattoo." Jinki chimed in.

Taemin frowned deeper. "Why hyung is always cooler than me ?"

"And hotter at the same time." Jinki smirked before clapping "Hey, maybe you could ask Minho to get you the temporary tattoo from that gum's gift. The one you could do with water."

"Of course." Minho finally smiled "Do you want butterfly or panda ?"

"Panda.." Taemin deadpanned, speechless before he started to throw tantrum to the two olders, "Whatever! I'll call mother to meet you here." he stomped his feet, still pouting as he walked out of the room.

Jinki laughed loudly while Minho's smile grew wider on the side.

"He doesn't change at all." Jinki shook his head.

"Yeah,” Minho agreed “But he only does it in front of you, because you spoil him so much, hyung."

"Do I?" the older raised his eyebrows, before he shrugged his shoulder "Maybe it’s just my nature to pamper my only younger brother."

Minho only chuckled, before taking a deep breath and scrutinized the guy next to  him closer. "So, how are you?"

"Fine..." Jinki answered with a little frown.

"Are you sure?" Minho raised his eyebrows.

"Yep," Jinki said, smiling.

"Seriously hyung,” the younger sighed “You know you can tell me everything.."

Jinki's smile faltered a little, "I'm fine, Minho..." he said carefully.

"I might be wrong, but I know you since we were kid, so if you’re hiding something, I just know it."

Jinki turned around to see Minho’s questioning gaze, debating inwardly. "There's… nothing.” He said in the end.

"Okay... I believe you, hyung." Minho said, patting his shoulder, tho it sounded like the opposite.

And as if on cue the door suddenly flew open, showing a lady in white dress that was bolting right to him. "Jinki !"

"Mother.." Jinki said, letting his mother held him and kissed his face.

"Are you getting thinner, Jinki ?" She asked wiyh a dislike frown "Have you eaten ? What do you want for lunch ? For dinner ? I could.."

"Mother.." Jinki cut her off "I don't have much time. I can't stay too long. I just said I have something to do back in my old place to the gang leader."

"Not even for a night ?" She asked sadly.

Jinki shook his head "Not even for a night."

The Queen sighed but she kept caressing her son's face anyway "Then thankyou for coming home," She said "Even it's just for a while.. I miss you."

Jinki smiled "I miss you too, Mother."

The Queen nodded before sighing again "I shouldn't monopolize you, tho. Your father was asking to meet you too."

*

"Jinki."

"Father."

There's only a curt nod as Jinki stepped in his Father's study but above all, he could see the King's eyes lit up as he saw him.

"How are you ?" The King asked as Jinki took the seat across him.

"Alive." Jinki simply answered.

The King approved the statement with a nod before asking again "How long have you been there, son ? Two months ? What have you found ?"

"What have.." he found ? Jinki thought to himself before he answered hesitantly "Kkangpae is a well-organized family.."

"I'm sorry, Your Majesty." the head of defense ministry, that was standing on the King's side, cut him off, "But you're using a wrong term."

Jinki raised his eyebrows.

"Kkangpae is a mere group of criminal not a family." he corrected, The King nodded.

Jinki felt like he had been punched in the gut. Thinking briefly about Jiyong, Joon, Changmin, Chansung and even, Kibum. Not a family ? Really ? You've never lived with them, he thought somehow defensively but he chose to keep it to himself anyway.

Jinki took a deep breath before continued "You must've known some of the things they do during my stay. I've reported it to the palace."

The minister nodded sympathetically at Jinki's words "But I believe there's more bigger crime than that, Your Majesty. We received so many reports about missing persons in the last one month and just last week we heard about the probability of the illegal transaction of human inner organs has started again."

Jinki couldn't answer to it, he just didn't know why he somehow felt sorry for the Kkangpae instead.

"Have you estimated the right time for us to catch them, son ?" the King asked "Maybe anytime soon ?"

"Yes. It's already too long." The minister chimed in.

Jinki glanced to the minister briefly before frowning "I heard... There would be this big event for the Shadow Dragon gang next month. I don't know if it's just a get together or another crime. But from what i heard they're expecting the big boss to come." He took a deep breath "But I'm not really s..."

"I'll get the soldiers and police ready by then." the old man said again "We'll plant security nearby, and guard the airport so there'll be no kkangpae that could get out from the country."

Jinki subconsciously bit his inner lip.

"Could I assign you the last task, son ?" The King asked.

Jinki nodded stifly.

"We'll need the identity of all the Shadow Dragon members who reside in this capital. Also the fake names if each of them get one. To ban them from embarcation."

Jinki frowned "So you could catch them ?" he asked.

The King nodded "I'll catch every single one, son. Breathing or not. I promise you."

"They are just a dirt in our society." the minister added "They're just a trash beneath your shoes, My Prince."

Jinki clenched his fist under the table.

*