The Criminals

Of Flaws and Lies

 

The sky was already dark at the time he finally arrived in front of an old building in the outskirts of the city. Stepping out from his car, Jinki could only raise his eyebrows in silence as he carefully scrutinized the crappy place.

The establishment wall was somewhat moldy while on some spots, he could clearly see that the dark blue paint had been naturally peeled off. The only thing that made the place looked -sort of- alive was the colored lights that were mounted on one side of the walls.

Such a cheap club without even a name board, Jinki thought. But according to Minho, this was the place where some Kkangpaes often hang out.

Jinki just heaved a deep sigh as his boot steadily stomping the wet sidewalk, finally leading him into the club. The loud music from the subwoofer was splitting his ear as soon as he entered the front door, boosting out a trashy remix of a recently popular song and made it sounds like an alien conversation.

Jinki looked around to see people was dancing, making out, drunk and the other ordinary club-y activities before he finally decided to take a sit in front of the bar table.

"Hey, you wanna drink something?"

Jinki turned to look at a tiny barman that just came to approach him, smiling his toothless smile  that made the Prince  think it was a sign of a good start.

"Beer is fine, thanks." Jinki said, and the barman nodded at the order before started doing his job.

He actually shouldn't get drunk tonight, the Prince thought. But maybe he could sip one gulp or two as a part of acting.

By the time his beer arrived, and he was about to start a conversation  with the barman , suddenly a woman --in a very, very revealing outfit which made her looked  like she was dressed with her own skin rather than her clothes (tight black tube top and short shorts)-- walked over to him.

Her cheshire-cat smile made him frown, cause it's not like they were old friends who just met again after years.

Hell, he never had a female close-friend. He only had Minho.

"Hi, handsome, alone?" her voice sounded shrill, loud even in the middle of the deafening music and somehow, it almost made him cringe.

She looked not that young, but at some point Jinki knew the woman maintained her body well.

"You're staring." she suddenly winked at him and Jinki just laughed.

"Yeah.." Jinki his lips -to wet his chapped lips not to seduce anyone, ya know- "Yeah.. I  am -was- alone and ?"

"You have these wrinkles all over your face, like the fate of our country is in your hands. So, I thought a little chat won't hurt." she shrugged, moving his butterfly-tattoed shoulder somehow ily.

"Well..." she's literally true though.

"Hey, Yoon ! Give me two shots o' vodka, he's paying." she suddenly shouted to the barman, who just replied 'Aye' before she casually took a seat on the stool beside Jinki, which only made The Prince raise his eyebrows and snatch his glass to get a little sip.

"So what is it? Your girlfriend's cheating on you?" she asked somewhat lazily after sipping her drink.

Jinki chuckled. This woman's sort of interesting, he thought.

"Nope, I'm just...out of the house. -Not on this area, anyway.-" he lied smoothly "You know, family problems. ."

She looked at him, formed an ‘O' while the rest of her facial expression showed as if she was really sorry to hear Jinki's issue "Kind of sorry to hear that.." she said, pausing for a while before she continued "It's no wonder I've never seen you here before, then. So now...what's your plan ?"

Jinki acted to take a deep breath before answering "Honestly nothing," he said.

The woman raised her perfectly shaped eyebrows.

"I don't know much about this area." Jinki said "But it's obvious that I need a place to sleep... For now."

She said a slow 'ah' before humming "Unfortunately, there's no room in my place. Maybe you could seek for a place at G-Dragon's pla....  Uh.." She suddenly hesitated "Nevermind, I think."

Jinki raised his eyebrows at the mention of the name, which was actually the reason why he's here at the first place but he had to play innocent. The game had just begun.

"Why are you suddenly hesitating ?" he asked, playing clueless "Who is this G-Dragon ?"

"Someone you don't want to get involved with." She said slowly "If you don't really have.. uh.. business with him."

"Enlighten me ?" Jinki asked, narrowing his eyes as if the information would do him good. And true, it would.

She glanced around before she fiddled on her seat and moved closer to Jinki "He's the leader of Kkangpae for this capital." she whispered carefully "He's cunning, resolute, but he could be really, really nice if it comes to the people who are loyal to him. He goes by the other name Jiyong."

"Do you know him?" Jinki asked before quickly adding "Personally, I mean."

"No, he's very difficult to approach." she sighed, like it was her deepest regret in life "But, I know a few of his men."

And at that moment Jinki felt really grateful, that of all people he could  probably met, he's talking to the right person. This woman could take him directly to the Kkangpae.

"Could you, maybe, introduce me to them?" he asked, while adding a little doubtful tone "Uhm...you know that I need a place to stay overnight, maybe they could help me."

She frowned, "I-I…don't think they could."

"Why?"

"They usually do not carelessly allow strangers to stay at their place. Although if they do, that means the person is.. something else."

"I'm something else." Jinki smirked.

"Look," She suddenly sat upright "You maybe handsome. Uh, i mean very." she added with a comical expression that made Jinki chuckle.

"But you don't look like a bad person," She said again "I don't think you have to get to know them."

"You don't know me," Jinki simply said.

She just snorted.

"Come on." Jinki half-pleaded "A little try won't hurt."

She sighed, "…whatever then, come on."

Then the woman pulled Jinki on his arm as she hopped from her seat. And a little while later, they were already struggling to walk through the ocean of people toward the dance floor, like Moses. And the red sea.

Not long after it the woman released her grip from Jinki and gestured him to wait on the side. While she approached a well-built muscular man that was busy dancing -or more like grinding himself unharmoniously to the beat- with two women at once.

From the distance Jinki still could see her tho. He noticed her patting the big man's shoulder, but he didn't budge and kept dancing. Until she finally patted him harder and the man turned around, looked a little pissed off.

Jinki couldn't hear what they were talking about, but he saw the man was, once or twice, glancing at him. And The Prince just stood there, hoping her could persuade the big guy, until finally, to his might-be luck, the man nodded and said something to her before she walked back to Jinki.

"How is it?" Jinki asked, a little hopeful.

"They're expecting you in the back room, there, the very end of that hallway." she pointed to a certain direction. "But sorry, I could not accompany."

Jinki smiled, "It's okay, can get there myself. Thank you... Uh ?"

"Jung Ah." she quickly said.

"Thanks, Jung Ah." Jinki said as they smiled briefly at each other before adding "I better go now."

"Good luck, handsome !" Jung ah waved "Hope t' see you around, so we could chat a little more."

Jinki only chuckled when she winked at him again.

--

The loud music of the club was slowly fading away as he walked deeper through the hallway. And eventho the way to the said back room was like a way to hell -dark and stinky-, the Prince's step was somehow light. Because he wasn't scared at all. Instead, he felt a little excited.

Jinki slowly narrowed his eyes to get a better sight, guessing which door was the right one because Jung Ah said it was at the very end, while he felt like the hallway was endless.

He raised his eyebrow. Is that one? He thought as he saw a mahogany door stood in the furthest corner.

Let's just try, he thought again to himself as he approached the door.

But at the time he lifted his hand to reach the knob, suddenly there's someone yelling "Hey you !" right behind his back.

Jinki jumped a little before he turned around and he was face to face with the big guy that spoke to Jung Ah.

"You're that guy, right?" the man said, his voice slurry and Jinki could see that the man was holding a bottle of beer on his hand, obviously drunk.

Jinki tried not to wince at the smell of the alcohol from the man's breath and answered "Yes."

The man shrugged as he opened the door and gestured Jinki to come in.

Jinki refrained himself from pinching his nose again. Because the poorly lit room was even stinkier than the hallway. There was this smell of various cheap alcohol mixed with tobacco.

He almost couldn't breath but he got a hold of himself.  Just because he realized he had to get used to it.

At the time his eyes grew accustomed to the dimness, he could finally see there were another three muscular men inside the room, who were suddenly quit laughing to each other as they turned to look at him.

"Oh ! Seems Chansung brought us a fresh meat." a handsome-yet-slightly-stupid looking guy said while he scrutinized Jinki from head to toe.

"He looks expensive." the second guy chimed in with a question tone, but before he received any respond, he already got back to focus on his card, too busy with his game to be interested.

"Shut up for a while, dudes." The drunk man -Chansung- cut them off "Jung Ah told me that he," he pointed to Jinki "needs place to stay tonight."

Someone -the third guy, silver-haired, Jinki noted- bursted out laughing after Chansung finished his words "Are you ing kidding me, Chansung ? Are you that drunk ? Cause the last time i checked we are not running a motel. What it has to do with us, if that guy needs a place?"

Jinki only raised his eyebrows at the third man, who was still laughing like Chansung just told him a corny joke. He felt slightly offended.

"Sorry but I don't find anything funny here." Jinki finally opened his mouth, coldly.

The man stopped laughing like someone just punched him on the face, he raised his eyebrows as he looked scornfully at Jinki, before he stood up and walked toward the other with arms folded across his chest.

"Oh yeah? Do you think asking to get a place for staying overnight from someone you don't even know is not funny? Do you even know who we are?" he scowled at Jinki.

"Of course, I know," Jinki raised his eyebrows, "I even do know that all this time, you  are all hopelessly looking for new access to penetrate the legal export-import market. For what ?  Smuggle your illegal guns and drugs right under the government's nose when they're too stupid and busy spying at the black market one ?"

The whole room gasped.

"What do you mean?" the short man asked.

Jinki just chuckled, but the first guy -who proved himself not as stupid as he looked- already got it.

"Holy !" he swore, already smiling at Jinki "You got those files ? Seriously ?! Maaan, that's ing cool !"

"Joon," the short guy quickly glared to his friend "He might be lying to us. Don't be careless."

"The only way to prove it, is we have to take him to Jiyong." the second man chimed in rationally, finally looking up from his card for a while.

Chansung nodded, agreeing "Changmin's right, Jiyong will know what to do."

Jinki tried so hard not to laugh. Hell, in short time he already convinced three people to choose his side.

He only raised his eyebrows as he turned his face back to the short man.

" you all." the guy cursed as he spat out to the tiles, before barging out of the room.

Again, Jinki tried to keep his face straight, while the other kkangpaes just shrugged.

"It's alright, Jonghyun is always a little short-tempered but he's kind actually." Chansung paused for a while before looking around "Now, should we go back ?"

Everyone nodded and ready to go, although Changmin packed his cards with a little frown.

Joon, who was the most friendly so far, even had his arm around Jinki's shoulder when they were going out of the room. He smiled again before asking "By the way, what's your name?"

Jinki smiled back at him, making his cresent-moon-like eyes visible, "Onew."

 

--

 

They were both sitting in the dimlit living room of a mansion -or a headquarter, to be exact-. Their surroundings were so quiet, either because it is already 2 AM in the morning or the rest of the Kkangpaes were still looking for night entertainments.

According to Joon, Jiyong only allowed a few of his men to live here. He could be very picky and he's not that easy to trust people -to be honest, almost all Kkangpaes had that kind of trust issue- but when he believed in one person, he would spoil them so much.

Jinki took a deep breath as he glanced to the clock on the wall, only raising his eyebrows when he realized it's actually not working and turned his head back to Jiyong, nervously waiting for his verdict.

"!" Jiyong finally cursed out "Where the hell did you get this?" he asked as he flipped the files that Jinki gave back and forth again.

The first time he saw Jiyong, Jinki had to admit he was kind of surprised. Jiyong didn't look like anything he thought a Kkangpae leader would be -old, bald, and fat-. Instead, the young guy looked so eccentric with colorful hair and dozen piercings on both of his ears. On top of it, he was not as intimidating as what Jinki was afraid of before. (Other case, if in the truth Jiyong hadn't showed his true fangs).

"I have my way." Jinki calmly answered.

Jiyong snorted, "You know, I hate to be looked down at." he said cursorily as he continued to study the files.

"I know." Jinki shrugged. Who wouldn't, he thought to himself.

"You better." Jiyong said, glancing up to Jinki "So... I'll let you stay here for a while because you've got this but-"

Jinki couldn't listen to what Jiyong said next because he was distracted by a rustling sound that suddenly came from his side. He cocked his head and narrowed his eyes until he could vaguely see a pair of cat-like eyes were staring back at him from behind the wall.

Jinki frowned.

At this point, Jiyong finally realized Jinki was no longer paying attention to him, that he also frowned and decided  to follow the direction of Jinki's gaze.

"Oh Kibum ?" Jiyong suddenly called, outstretching his neck "Sweetheart, come here !"

Jinki raised his eyebrows as he noticed Jiyong sounded so much like he was calling a kitten. But the owner of the eyes behind the door -an unbelievably pretty guy, cause Jinki himself didn't believe he could ever call a guy pretty- really did come out and walked toward them carefully, as if judging both of the other men -or just Jinki, maybe- meant no harm for him.

Jiyong stood up and approached the guy, casually putting his arm around his waist while Jinki followed to stand up as well and kept staring at the kitten-guy as if he was learning a new-kind of creature.

"This is Onew," Jiyong said, pulling the guy closer to where Jinki was "He will stay here for a while because he got something." Jiyong whispered in a low voice, but somehow Jinki could still hear him clearly.

Kibum still eyed Jinki in silent when Jiyong also turned his head to Jinki.

"And Onew, this is Kibum. But I prefer call him Key -like anyone else-. He was our brain. Totally my key." Jiyong smiled, rather at himself.

"Uh, Hi." Jinki said and held out his hand, but Kibum was only staring at it, as if he was considering whether Jinki's hand was full of bactery or not.

Two seconds later, he finally grabbed Jinki's hand -just for an half second-  before he quickly pulled his -soft, Jinki noted- hand away.

Jiyong nodded in an approval seeing the brief -and a rather unwelcoming- introduction before he said again "Well Onew, you better go to sleep. Kibum will lead you to our only... spare room. Okay, sweetheart ?"

Kibum only rolled his eyeballs as he released himself from Jiyong's hold, before turning his body to the stairs without even sparing a glance to Jinki.

"Follow him." Jiyong said to him "We'll sort things out tomorrow."

Jinki only nodded before he finally made his way to trail Kibum, climbing up the squeaking stairs.

Another hallway, Jinki sighed tiredly. But much to his relief, they stopped in front of a door in the corner not long after.

Kibum was the one who opened the door. He stepped inside first to turn on the light and finally gestured Jinki to enter.

"I'll leave you here,"

The guy could talk! Praise God! Jinki thought to himself before nodding.

"If you need anything.." Kibum added again before pausing for a while, thinking and suddenly scowled at Jinki ".. try to solve it yourself and do not ever search for me. I'm not in the next room."

And he left even before Jinki got to say anything.

 

 

---

here comes the criminals. also kibum, woot!

we try to update as soon as you want so please give us candies ;)