The Wolf Spider's Web

Crying "Wolf"

 

Chanyeol leaves as soon as he knows he’s done what he came to do: intimidate me. Even more. But I shrug off the unpleasant feeling crawling up my spine that tells me I’ve landed myself in the manipulative web of a Wolf spider, and a multi-talent nonetheless, and take as much deep breaths as I need. 

Projects are a big thing in this school, and when you have a Wolf as a partner, chances are you’re going to find yourself facing more pressure than you would preparing for college entrance exams. Multi-talents have this craving for perfection when it comes to projects and competition, whilst Wolves just love pushing other people to get what they want. And if you put both qualities together, boy, are you in for the most agonising time of your life. 

There are only about a few multi-talents in the Wolf pack including Chanyeol. Sure, one of his main things is playing guitar, but he also raps, and plays just about any other instrument out there, and of course he also does the occasional voice lessons. Multi-talents have the busiest timetable ever, and they’re never really for definite. I mean, one Monday they could have guitar lessons but the next could be rap or voice or whatever. It’s pretty chaotic, and I take a moment to empathise for his current main Prey. 

 I start walking over to Mr Jo’s studio and make sure not to accidentally collide into anyone else this time. The bell rang in the middle of my close encounter with the giant so I work up a jog until I see the dance students flooding out from the far corner. I walk from then on, focusing only on finding Sehun quickly (and hopefully calmly).

 I’m heading straight for the studio when suddenly a hand grips my wrist and pulls me out of harm’s (the tired crowd of dance-enthusiasts) way. I’m unintentionally following it because no, I am not the strongest person in the world, also, ouch, but I do try to escape from the hold. And when the hallway’s completely empty, yet unintentionally again, my free hand finds the culprit’s face and smacks it hard. All executed without looking up. And I do wish otherwise.

Now the first thing one should probably do in this situation is run away and hope for the best, but of course, I’m in complete shock and so, stay stuck glued to my spot gasping into the palms of my hands - now both free.

“Well, OWWW!” Sehun pats his cheek gently and hisses when the stinging red appears.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry. Oh, damn- I didn’t- Oh, crap,” The apologies rage through my head, each fighting to leave my mouth at once. And as a distraction to my blubbering idiocy I bow continuously, probably four times at the least before his palm slowly pushes against my forehead, pushing me upright. 

“Stop it,” he waves the same hand in between us. “Let’s just pretend that didn’t happen.” I nod, biting my lower lip.

“I honestly didn’t mean to though,” I don’t quite feel that off the hook yet, so I try to avoid his stare.

“Who would? Whatever, it was half my fault too.” He holds onto my wrist again, gently this time. But then he realises that that probably isn’t a good idea and shakes off his grip. “So, apparently, I’m a little rusty on how things work around here.”

I nod. 

“I got some basic tips from the hyungs, but I’d like to know more. What do I get you to do?”

“That’s kinda your choice.”

“Hmm. Well, okay. Umm… I can’t think of anything at the moment, so how about you just come to me whenever I call you?” 

“Yeah, okay.” I blink and shrug my shoulders.

I’m expecting him to go “Okay,” and then call it a day so I end up waiting. It gets a lot quieter when neither of us speak, each counting down the seconds until the other says something.

“Umm…” He decides to take the first initiative. “That kinda means I need your number…”

Right. I take out my phone because never in my life had I bothered to learn off a simple line of digits. Noticing my actions, he does the same. I decide it’s easier for the both of us if I just flash my phone at him when my number shows clearly on the screen and I watch him tap the sequence into his own smartphone. 

“Got it.” I’m about to put my phone back into my pocket but he stops me and holds onto it. “Here, just wait.”

So I wait again, realising that he was probably putting his own number in there, making me feel a little startled. I never got a Wolf’s number. The unspoken deal states that you answer to them, but they have no need to answer to you.

“Here.” He hands the phone back to me. “I guess I’ll just go now.” Sehun smiles just the slightest bit and spins on his heel. 

He disappears around the corner just when I’ve come to my senses, and I have nothing left to do but go home at around six in the evening for the first time since my first day, and worry about whether it could also be my last.

 

It’s 8:33pm. I’m sitting comfortably at my desk finishing off the last of my Biology homework. I’m looking forward to finally being able to relax this early and I wonder whether I should just sleep through the remainder of the night or catch up on some reading. The last thing I expect to happen at around this time is to receive a text from Sehun already. And it isn’t even getting a text from him that was random, Wolves tend to do that normally. It’s the fact that his first text read: “Hi, how are you?”  that startled me a little. 

I was hesitant but after writing the last sentence I needed for homework, I reply back: 
“Hi. Good thanks. And you? Do you have the list of what I need to do for the week?”

It takes about the time to put my textbook away for him to send another text.

Pretty cool, yeah. Just be there at my locker in the morning, I guess. It's number 256 on the first floor. And I might ask you to help me with some stuff, but I haven't thought that through just yet. 

Okay, then. 

My reply is short. Obedient for two words, though.I'm about ready to put my phone away when suddenly it lights up again to flash another message, but too quickly it gets interrupted by Girl's Generation's Beep Beep flooding all the silence in the room. I don't know who to expect to call me. Conveniently, I would assume it was Sehun, probably deciding it was easier for him to explain things to me or ask me questions all at once. But I have Sehun's number, and most likely, he was the one who just sent me a message. This number on my screen is unknown. 

"Hello?" I answer, as politely as I can.

"Wow, how sweet," comes the deep voice I'd heard too much of already today.

"Oh, it's you."

"Hmm, you really do have an attitude problem like Kai says."

"You got my number from him?"

"Pretty much. But anyway, I felt the need to pass this information onto you. I hope you're ready to write this down."

"Well, I was in the middle of doing my homework."

"Great, great, yeah whatever. Anyway, come practice with me after school. Studio 1B, the one personally reserved for me. 4pm, skip your lessons, I already talked to Ms Jung and our new little recruit that you're mine for that time."

"And I'm guessing I get no say in this whatsoever?"

"Well, we're all in this together, partner. We can't all be selfish, now can we?"

And with that being said, Chanyeol hangs up, and I'm left with tackling more than the homework questions in my head for now. 

 

~.~

Small little update because it's been a while and I just found this file sitting in my computer unfinished ><